Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
I recently beat the Bladerunner Point and Click, great game slots in alongside the movie well.

And with Lucasfilm claiming that the new Indie game is partially inspired by Fate of Atlantis, one of the all time greats in the genre, alongside The Amazing Digital Circus blowing up and taking over the world while being heavily inspired by I have No Mouth and I Must Scream (Though the original short story and not the game version) Has me thinking about the genre and the writing in them.

All 3 I named have good writing, I wanted to hear what people personally think is the best on the genre.

Kiyamet

Banned
Apr 21, 2024
Its Disco Elysium and its not even close

:edit: Its not Disco Elysium as apparently its not considered a point and click adventure game

Disco is one of the best written pieces of media in the last few decades

Its a story of failure, empathy, and the human condition from the novel lens of a post soviet eastern european take in an alternate retro future - a perspective we dont really see in gaming

Last edited:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I adore the dialogue and voice acting in Grim Fandango. Aesthetically it's great too. You might want to check a guide from time to time though, the puzzles aren't great.

Er, does it count as a point and click when it's best played with a controller?
Its Disco Elysium and its not even close

Disco is one of the best written pieces of media in the last few decades
Good call with this one. DE is one of the greats. It's a bit more of an RPG than your traditional adventure game though. And if we're gonna go there, I'd also suggest Planescape: Torment. It's like an adventure game combined with an Infinity Engine game.

Last edited:

jim-jam bongs

Oct 25, 2017
before Disco Elysium it was probably Planescape: Torment, but it's Disco Elysium now for sure

edit: my brain is not so good, but it's still Disco Elysium

OP
OP

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
I knew DE would be brought up but the semantics over it being a CRPG vs Point and Click made me not mention it, lol

Kiyamet

Banned
Apr 21, 2024
Side note Harlan Ellison, the author of I have No Mouth and I Must Scream and countless other seminal works of science fiction, voicing Am was an incredible choice

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream if you like serious/horror games. Monkey Island 2 and Return to Monkey Island if you like dry/situational humor. Sam and Max Season 3 if you like joke-y/laugh-out-loud humor.

Disco Elysium is more of a CRPG IMO.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream gets bonus points for having the author be heavily involved and even voicing lines. It's hard to beat one of the best sci-fi authors of all time.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
4th Grade Adventure. The search for Mathra.
The highs and lows of the story are as Oscar worthy as the acting. And the music is top notch.
The plot is both artistic and creative while being educational. And the betrayal of the protagonists to the allure and greed are resonant through the entire play through. Oh and it helps you learn math.

Oct 29, 2017
I'll broaden it to adventure games in general, so I can give a nod to how funny Tales From The Borderlands is, but yean Disco Elysium very much plays like a point and click adventure game so I would also agree that it is so.

Kiyamet

Banned
Apr 21, 2024
I can't really say it has the best story but I thoroughly enjoy the writing and general pastiche of Kings Quest VI

Its a fun and bubbly take with voice acting that I feel still holds up

I also have a soft spot for Quest for Glory: Shadows of Darkness

It has a lot of fun moments in the writing and again the voice acting

NextGen

Aug 5, 2024
Not a fan, played just couple of them, but I really liked Discworld 2 on the first PlayStation. Probably because I was a pretty big fan of Pratchett's work at the time.

gibby

Jul 15, 2022
Certainly not the "best" in the history of all games but had a good time with Beneath the Steel Sky.

I will also love the world building of Myst and Riven always.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
It's the Longest Journey, now it's a bit forgotten but there was nothing like it during the release.
I'd say the first 2 Siberias too, they mix the human emotions, traumas, toxic relationships and the search for freedom in a really cool way

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
tumblr_o3w5rnb3951sodwato1_640.gif

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Do people really think of Disco Elysium as a point-and-click adventures game? I can't really see a good argument for that categorization when it already fits perfectly into the RPG/CRPG bracket.

My favourite has always been The Curse of Monkey Island, personally.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looking for this, and agreed.
🤝
It's the Longest Journey, now it's a bit forgotten but there was nothing like it during the release.

I'd say the first 2 Siberias too, they mix the human emotions, traumas, toxic relationships and the search for freedom in a really cool way
Wow, Syberia would have been my second pick 🤝
(mostly the first one for the vibes but as a whole story the two of them obviously go together)

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be a diservice to Disco Elysium to label it as a point&click adventure, when it so perfectly showed how an RPG can be something different then fantasy/sci combat focused games.

Gameflow

Apr 14, 2022
Thematically it is Grim Fandango and it's not even close. Imo they totally nail the Noir atmosphere. Unfortunatelly I think puzzle wise it is a bit hit and miss and the controls are even in the remaster still a bit clunky. I also have positive memories of DISCWORLD NOIR, but consideirng that I almost can't remember anything in detail, might be not a good sign :)

If you are into a bit into a strange experience, check out "Ring" (Ring: The Legend of the Nibelungen). It roughly tells the story of the nibelungen legend, but puts it into a strange sci-fi, avante garde setting. I don't say it is a good game, but it is something special. Alot also has to do with the classic music used.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Has to be Grim Fandango. Something about it just sticks with you.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MN6WtmcrBA

The highs and lows of the story are as Oscar worthy as the acting. And the music is top notch.
The plot is both artistic and creative while being educational. And the betrayal of the protagonists to the allure and greed are resonant through the entire play through. Oh and it helps you learn math.
One of my favorite Youtubers just did a Let's Play of that.

There was shockingly almost no math in it lol.

…Or any educational value, really.

Last edited:

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The Longest Journey.
It's been a long time since I've played it though, so I'm not sure how well it's aged, but I remember being in love with everything about that game and it's story.

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
+1 for Grim Fandango. I was a kid when I first played it and still know way too many lines from it by heart. From one line zingers to hilarious word play, it just doesn't miss a beat in the writing department and the characters are instantly iconic.

I don't fully consider Disco Elysium a pure point and click adventure game, even though, ironically, you do a lot more pointing and clicking in it then in Grim Fandango. Semantics, in the end I guess. Just like I don't really consider this thread to be an EtcetEra Forum thread either...If we put semantics aside, then Disco Elysium would be up there for sure

Last edited:

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020

I actually really enjoyed all of these as a kid. Particularly mindblowing when at the end of one of them (and I can't believe I'm spoilering a 25 year old educational game series) you find out that the mastermind behind everything was Carmen Sandiego. The Learning Company also had a game starring her out at roughly the same time (point and click style) and as a kid I was so shook lol

Dec 17, 2022
I only ever played Broken Age…

But I watched my best friend play Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle when I was a kid. Loved both games ❤️

Hecht

Bonk initiated
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Always have a soft spot for Curse of Monkey Island. Just outright laughed like a maniac a few times

Nilson

Nov 5, 2017
Thematically it is Grim Fandango and it's not even close. Imo they totally nail the Noir atmosphere. Unfortunatelly I think puzzle wise it is a bit hit and miss and the controls are even in the remaster still a bit clunky. I also have positive memories of DISCWORLD NOIR, but consideirng that I almost can't remember anything in detail, might be not a good sign :)

If you are into a bit into a strange experience, check out "Ring" (Ring: The Legend of the Nibelungen). It roughly tells the story of the nibelungen legend, but puts it into a strange sci-fi, avante garde setting. I don't say it is a good game, but it is something special. Alot also has to do with the classic music used.
Whaat there's a ring cycle adventure game? They sounds amazing haha