Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Basically I'm wondering what people on here think a sci-fi Fromlike could/would/should look like, because it could take countless different directions.

Here's some ideas I have

-The setting is a seedship/colony ship. It's been at least millennia since this ship set out from whichever planet it came from, and nobody remembers for what purpose it first set off.
-VR could be an interesting way to frame the setting, especially with something like recursive cycles (going into VR while inside VR, etc.). It could be that nobody knows or cares about whether this setting is the "real" seedship or not.
-Literal "glitches in the matrix" could be used to change things up or create an incoherent world.
-Transhumanism could be a thematic shift introduced halfway through, and enemies could include people who have transcended humanity in this way. Of course this would connect quite heavily to one of the games From has already made, and honestly I'd love to see From tackle this idea in relation to that game. (It could shift from... I dunno, the good ol' "are robots human" maybe.)
-Alternatively, all that stuff could be just squeezed into one area. Maybe even this game's equivalent of Anor Londo (in terms of thematic and aesthetic climax).
-The protagonist either wakes from one of the classic hibernation pods (thanks to someone opening the pod and then dying) or arrives in an escape shuttle- for the latter, a small ship you escape populated by perhaps your former companions could serve as the tutorial area.

Last edited:

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
The Surge

LankyInsidiousDog-size_restricted.gif

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
I was legit hoping this would be the case after dark souls 3. Two games later and nope.

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
Hopefully something like Nihei's Blame

I also wouldn't mind their take on Dead Space.

I just want that moody atmosphere.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Judging by their Armored Core games, it would take place in an underground city in the aftermath of some unknown apocalypse. The story would be about human augmentation using cybernetics and the ominous threat of artificial intelligence.

Oct 25, 2017

Nah, From's art direction and setting would be something else entirely. I'm thinking of derelict spaceships or weird alien planets. Or both.

I like the ideas of the OP a lot. Just hope it happens. They do dark fantasy well, but Elden Ring will be the fifth game in that genre. Sci-fi would be such a breath of fresh air.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
There was cool thread about this on Gaf back in the day. Some posters really went deep into what they imagined it would be. Lots of cool dark/surreal/gieger-escue art with scifi flavour.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it'd probably be more 'urban gothic' than balls to the wall sci-fi. can't see them going whole hog in that direction but maybe

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
A Sci-fi Alien Horror setting is what I was hoping for after Bloodborne. Just take something like the cosmic beings in Bloodborne and go crazy

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
Fromsoft "Souls" hard game design revolves melee combat. A sci-fi game would require shooting advanced guns unless they tried coming up with a stupid reason why you can't, ala The Surge. Long range combat has made every one of their "Souls" games easy, and thus, they keep on nerfing it. So doubtful, they will ever go sci-fi setting.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fromsoft "Souls" hard game design revolves melee combat. A sci-fi game would require shooting advanced guns unless they tried coming up with a stupid reason why you can't, ala The Surge. Long range combat has made every one of their "Souls" games easy, and thus, they keep on nerfing it. So doubtful, they will ever go sci-fi setting.
Dune has a decent retort to this idea- all characters wear shields that won't permit something to pass through quickly, but will permit something to pass somewhat slowly. A similar plot device could be used here, I think. That's an interesting point though, I hadn't considered it.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview

Dead Space style engineering tools! Sci-fi bloodborne style saws and stuff. You can keep the ranged part limited to how Bloodborne handles it.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Man, I really didn't need to realize that FROMxBLAME is a thing I want but will probably never get.
Thanks ERA!

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Soulsbourne is tired, we have more than enough games with that kind of gameplay.

It's time to bring back Otogi.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It will be radically different from Surge that I know. Just changing the textures doesn't mean you have made a Sci fi game.

I patiently wait for the day From Software or Naughty Dog makes a Sci Fi game. The best of both worlds.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, From's art direction and setting would be something else entirely. I'm thinking of derelict spaceships or weird alien planets. Or both.

I like the ideas of the OP a lot. Just hope it happens. They do dark fantasy well, but Elden Ring will be the fifth game in that genre. Sci-fi would be such a breath of fresh air.

Hm, sure, true.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to get the message that I should consider watching this anime
You should definitely read Blame!, it's great. The Netflix film is decent-good, but I don't think it'd make any sense without having read it / is more of a side-story.

They hired one of the writers of The Expanse to do some work for them years ago, and we've only seen two of their three big projects, so we can expect that to be an Armoured Core reboot or whatever?

Oct 25, 2017

I'd love to see them try ranged weapons actually,. I'm sure they'd come up with something cool that could further differentiate it from Dark Souls. Dead Space did it well in my opinion. God, I miss that series.

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
I really wanted something like this or a cyberpunk souls like game that wasn't incredibly janky, and not fun like the surge.

However them making souls of ice and fire/game of souls instead pretty much made me realize they'll probably keep sticking to the fantasy style settings for awhile longer.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
It will be radically different from Surge that I know. Just changing the textures doesn't mean you have made a Sci fi game.

I patiently wait for the day From Software or Naughty Dog makes a Sci Fi game. The best of both worlds.

This is true.

I think what From has been good is how the gameplay ideas complete the (meta) themes in their games.

Like how in Dark Souls the player/chosen undead is not going hollow because there is some hope or meaning still left. So they try that boss fight again. And again. Then the player says F this, there's no hope, I will never win this and stops playing. The player / chosen undead goes hollow.

And how in Bloodborne you just have to gain more insight to what's going on in Yharnam and that insights leads into more and more madness.

Maybe they could explore transhumanism? Maybe they already are, in Elden Ring (not scifi though)?