CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Like I said in the title, I'm currently in the middle of writing my first novel, thanks in part to a thread I made a while ago.
And I tried to make the cast as diverse as possible, in all ways possible. But even when you're trying your best, some things can easily go over your head when you're not part of a specific group. That's why I need your guidance, people from all the corners of Era.
What are some tropes, deemed overused and/or offensive by your subgroup that I should avoid ?

Saturday

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe give us some brief summaries of your cast? It's a pretty broad question.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
Latinos have very varied last names and that aren't Ramirez, or that end with "ez" for that matter most of the time.

Signed, a Latino whose second last name ends with "ez".

Edit: Good luck with your novel. šŸ˜ƒ

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this might be a random one but not everyone needs to be romantically linked with another. some people are just friends...

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Don't over-describe the color of their skin unless it actually helps with the scene. There was a twitter thread going in on people going nuts on the descriptions that while they were trying to be inclusive, kinda felt fetishy. You know, the "Her almond shaped eyes and pale porcelain skin white skin gave her an exotic otherworldly look, and her cheeks were the color of the rising sun" type shit

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, well..
Lots of latinx, couple of black people and asians. Gay men and women, bi people, trans people.
It is still pretty broad but I'll say this, there is a lot of Asian countries, if your novel took place in a realistic setting, try to use countries that is not name China and Japan

Good luck with your novel, update us when it hit the shelf

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
My only real thought/suggestion might be to run some scenes/dialogue/descriptions of specific characters with people of that gender/race/sexuality/etc.

Stuntman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you have latinx characters, be specific. A shitty trope on media is that every everyone is mexican for some reason (yeah it's racism).

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
If you intend to make bad characters bisexual, you should research that trope a bit more in order to avoid the 'bi villain stereotype'.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
I hate it when gay characters ogle every other person of the same sex. Just because we are gay doesn't mean we think about sex every waking moment.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Don't have your gay male characters be sex maniacs who hop into bed at the drop of a hat.

EDIT: lol Gibson at the timing on our posts

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate it when gay characters ogle every other person of the same sex. Just because we are gay doesn't mean we think about sex every waking moment.
yeah oversexualizing not straight characters is a common issue. even as a straight guy it just comes across as lazy and uncreative

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the protagonist has mexican origins but I think that's it.
Are spain and portuguese ok ?
I don't think you need to censor yourself, just have a reason for it and not just fall back lazily. that's the thing about tropes. theyre uncreative choices based on sterotypes. there's plenty of room for mexican characters. there's 100 million mexicans! lots of stories to tell. and I live in socal where most latinos have mexican heritage so if I was setting a story here it'd likely be a latino with mexican heritage...

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I would say no gay character thats whole arc is being tortured by their sexuality.

But I'm a pasty white straight guy, couldn't say how actual LGBTQ feel about that and I wouldn't want to assume.

Not saying that can't be a story but just seems like something that writers fall into often. That or their gay characters being the hyper horniest human beings alive.

Last edited:

Stuntman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
One of the protagonist has mexican origins but I think that's it.
Are spain and portuguese ok ?
Spain and Portugal are in Europe, hence not latinx. You could try with Brazil, Peru, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, etc. I would research if the location you are basing your novel has any big number of people from X country and build it from that, of course Mexican is going to be the majority on the US, but latinx range from Mexico, Central America and South America. It's many countries each of those with different cultures and backgrounds.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about the broad strokes is fine, but the biggest help would be to get sensitivity readers from the groups you're concerned about, to look over what you wrote.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
For your Asian characters, use realistic names. Don't just mash together two words that sound cool, or two last names.

edit: adding on to that, avoid common stereotypes for Asians. Like them being good at math, speaking with an accent, or having a long beard and white hair.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Make sure to have a group of people to run your ideas and tropes past before you write too much. You'll need a pretty diverse pool of reviewers.

Watch out for these things:

Asians being good at math, academia, or being bookwormy in general. Don't associate them with an air of ancient wisdom or mysticism. No animal eating jokes.

No overly slavish work ethic. Don't exaggerate physical traits like shortness. They aren't necessarily shutterbugs or tourists. They don't have to wear glasses. They don't have to know kung fu. They don't have to have an accent.

A lot of these are obvious, but a lot of the smaller ones listed there might be okay if you only use one or two of them, because some of them are fairly common traits among Asians. It's just that if you hit too many stereotypes at once, then they start to look like a caricature, and that's when it gets offensive.

OP
OP
CaptainKashup

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Spain and Portugal are in Europe, hence not latinx. You could try with Brazil, Peru, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, etc. I would research if the location you are basing your novel has any big number of people from X country and build it from that, of course Mexican is going to be the majority on the US, but latinx range from Mexico, Central America and South America. It's many countries each of those with different cultures and backgrounds.

Spain and Portugal are considered white ?

Oct 28, 2017
I would say no gay character thats whole arc is being tortured by their sexuality.

But I'm a pasty white straight guy, couldn't say how actual LGBTQ feel about that and I wouldn't want to assume.

as a gay man I wish more media treated sexuality as a non controversial aspect of a character. Nobody needs to freak out when someone's revealed as trans or a man kisses another man. But there are times when the characters sexuality is pertinent. It's dependent on the world being created and story.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
I would write from personal experience and listen and study the culture of those people. If its too much, then that's okay. Better to not write based on your own stereotypes and bias.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I would say be mindful of general warnings you get in this thread while writing, but the real examination is gonna happen once you actually write it out. At that point, select some sensitivity readers to read it and offer feedback.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna be real with you, crowd sourcing this info is a terrible idea and you should avoid it. I'm not saying anything said here is wrong but you can't write a novel and source a forum as a way of avoiding certain things.

Write the thing first
Hire a sensitivity consultant to review your work and make adjustments.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Smart latino or chicano kid raised by gangbanger cousins and brothers because their parents are dead or in prison. Also anything that remotely feels like Sandra Bullock or Emma Stone white savior levels of cringe.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
I would also advise to not over worry about stereotypes too much.

If you want to write about a flamboyant homosexual obsessed with reality TV then you can, particularly if they're well rounded in other respects. And especially if you're careful with stereotypes elsewhere in the story.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't over-describe the color of their skin unless it actually helps with the scene. There was a twitter thread going in on people going nuts on the descriptions that while they were trying to be inclusive, kinda felt fetishy. You know, the "Her almond shaped eyes and pale porcelain skin white skin gave her an exotic otherworldly look, and her cheeks were the color of the rising sun" type shit
I think Dune is a good example here, in a recent re-read, I was struck by how little time he spent on describing people's physical characteristics.

And as a counter example, don't do what Hank Green (a presumably progressive author) did in An Absolutely Remarkable Thing, where his female bisexual protagonist sexualizes virtually every other character remotely in her age range, including one about 30 minutes after she becomes his employer.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
That's a very odd one too.
Fortunately, my trans character is a nice person. Is there others trans trope I should be on the lookout ?

This goes for any queer character, but don't make them say it to every person they meet. You don't really need to bring it up at all for the cis queer characters or really even anyone trans if you play it smart. Just have people infer either by relationships, talking past relationships, or how they interact with others.

The big thing to remember if you aren't queer yourself is how isolating it can be. So found family is a really big theme for us. When you don't know if your own family will kick you out growing up, you start to internalize fear or distrust. It takes us a while to open up, and sometimes asking someone you want to trust questions about others who are out in order to gauge what a person might think in response to us revealing it to them. There's a lot of subtext and testing the water. Have characters do that and you won't need to outright say what they are. We'll know.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
if there are asian characters, don't exclusively limit them to the ones that have "accents". it's annoying. media tends to forget the existence of Asian Americans. always gotta have speek engrish stereotype shit