Blue_Toad507

May 25, 2021
Picking up my abandoned plan to visit NYC (it was in 2020, 'nuff said) and I'll be there for 9 days or so in October. But I haven't really got much of an itinerary put together yet. So, US-Era, NYC-Era and anyone else who has been, what can you guys recommend I fit into my trip while I'm there? I'll list some general info below to help get an idea of what I'm looking for...

-I'm staying in Manhatten, about 10 minutes walk from Central Park.
-I like my gaming and I like my musicals, so the Nintendo Store and Broadway are musts. Ideally I want to see a show I can't see in London UK, since I live here.
-I'm interested in checking out the High Line and Central Park, since I love walking and going at my own relaxed place which makes them ideal places.
-The Empire State Building is something I'm interested in, however I have a heart condition and want to be mindful of climbing up too many steps. Is there much of that involved?
-I also like art galleries and museums, and as a gay male, is there a gayborhood that is particularly ideal for me to check out?

I'm also interested in any particular eateries anyone would recommend to eat at. And what is the cheapest/easiest way to get around in terms of public transport? Thanks in advance!

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
The Empire State Building is something I'm interested in, however I have a heart condition and want to be mindful of climbing up too many steps. Is there much of that involved?
Pretty much none. They're all mostly getting on an elevator then getting off. If you're interested in getting good views of the city, I'd recommend also looking into either the freedom tower or Rockefeller center or the newer 1 Vanderbilt that I've been hearing more often. The most amount of stairs you're likely to encounter are getting in and out of subway stations along with escalators that don't feel like working that day.

And what is the cheapest/easiest way to get around in terms of public transport?
Subway for sure. The turnstiles take mobile/tap pay so be sure you've got that set up. While you're in the city I'd recommend getting an app called CityMapper for navigating around. Tells you things like the best entrance to go in and even which car to board to get you in and out of the stations to your destination fastest.

Last edited:

fakeronjan

Oct 28, 2017
If you're here for food and you like cuisines from around the world Queens is going to be the highlight of your trip. Most diverse place on the planet and below Manhattan prices. Flushing is a gem.

I'll let others suggest art galleries and museums but as a Bronx resident I have to plea that you check us out. You're here long enough that you'll want to say you visited all of the boroughs. The zoo is obviously incredible but you could go for a hike in Van Cortlandt Park way up north too.

The subway is your friend but don't be afraid of buses either. Google Maps routing is great for both. Set your phone up to pay for all of it.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Do Sleep No More. Truly a one of a kind theater experience and I say that as someone who loves Broadway. Speaking of tickets to Hadestown are cheap right now. I just got decent seats for 100 a pop and it's supposed to be a great show.

Greenwich Village is still a big gayborhood. Stonewall Inn is there. I also personally fucking love walking the High Line.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
It might be a bit confusing, but the subway is cheap and fast. That being said, it uses Manhattan as a hub. If you're in a borrow, you can't get to other borrows easily without going through Manhattan first, and you'll need to know which train goes where, but if you're just moving through the center of Manhattan, basically all trains go through it and go to it, at least at some point.

One thing I'd recommend, though really just if you're okay with taking walks, is going through the High Line. Its a repurposed train line that's been turned into a walking path going through the west side of Manhattan from Hudson Yards to Chelsea. The northern end is near a fairly fancy mall and the south end is close to the Chelsea Market, which is a nice place to eat, and a fairly interesting walk-around art installation called Islands.

High-Line-Park-in-New-York.jpg.webp

I was just there in August, and its actually a bit hard to find a picture of what it really looks like now, since the plants have been growing. Most images online have them as pretty stubby.

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
-I'm staying in Manhatten, about 10 minutes walk from Central Park.
-I'm interested in checking out the High Line and Central Park, since I love walking and going at my own relaxed place which makes them ideal places.
-The Empire State Building is something I'm interested in, however I have a heart condition and want to be mindful of climbing up too many steps. Is there much of that involved?
-I also like art galleries and museums, and as a gay male, is there a gayborhood that is particularly ideal for me to check out?

I was soloing NYC a few years back (actually it was a work trip but I had lots of time by myself) and it was great. I walked the shit out of Central Park and the High Line. I'd take the subway to various neighborhoods and just strolled around. It's fucking New York, there's always something cool just around the corner.

I walked around Harlem, went to Brooklyn to a punk show, went for walks along the river, and went to see Queensbridge because I'm a huge fan of Nas and Mobb Deep.

I went to Rockefeller center instead of Empire State. There was a long ass line but the guards let me skip it because I was by myself lol. The view was excellent and the viewing platform is outside, which was cool.

Also I'm not gay but I walked past a gay bar called Bottoms Up which made me chuckle. The stonewall area was interesting too

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Welcome to NYC.

Chelsea is still where alot of the gay community live and hang out (I think - it's been a while when I used to live there). Also try the west village and Soho.

Honestly, the most important thing about it here is staying away from areas that are stressful - atleast on your first day or two here. It'll give you a bad representation of the city and all the great things about it so I'd stay away from areas like Time Square, Herald Square and Broadway /Houston in Soho. It's overly crowded and hectic and can really drain people...I would definitely do the museums but I'd skip the empire state building and things like the Statue Of Liberty just because I can't stand crowds.

Definitely hit central park and the upper west side which is just beautiful. Try PJ Clark's in the upper west side for a really beautiful classic NYC resturant.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best mornings I ever had was walking by myself in Central Park, and after the stroll I went to Met Museum that is right there. I loved visiting MoMA as well. I also went by myself on a little geek hunt (finding the Ghostbusters fire station, the Friends apartment, etc), maybe see beforehand if there are real places connected to some IP you enjoy. Taking a stroll through Greenwich Village was lovely.

One of the Space Shuttle orbiters (Enterprise) is in display in NY, so even though it's the test aircraft (so never went into space so, unlike the 3 others is all pristine and clean), it's worth seeing in person, if you have any interest in space exploration.

I adore books, so one of the highlights of my trip was visiting the public library flagship building (another Ghostbusters landmark) - the way leading up to it from Grand Central Station (also worth a visit) has plaques with quotes on the sidewalk, lovely stuff - the reading rooms are gorgeous and one of the most precious moments of my visit was just wandering around the library, and coming across the original Winnie the Pooh plush animals that A.A. Milne used to tell his son the stories he created. It was such a magical moment, to meet the "real" Pooh and friends, by happenstance. So maybe don't plan everything, leave some room for some of these chance encounters ;) NY has so many things it's not difficult for them to come about.

After writing all that, I hope I can visit again sometime, to revisit some things and there was so much I didn't get to see. Enjoy your trip!

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
Do not visit the Bronx Zoo or Museum of Natural History. You will be very disappointed.

I'd recommend the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the MOMA, and Williamsburg.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Check out the Guggenheim! Excellent modern and post-modern art there. Some legendary works in fact.

It's the dumbass looking building, you cannot miss it!

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Do not visit the Bronx Zoo or Museum of Natural History. You will be very disappointed.

I'd recommend the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the MOMA, and Williamsburg.

I'll second the MET, and also add that the Cloisters is fantastic if you're interested in Medieval era-ish Europe at all. It might be a pain to get to without a car though (we drove there last time I went, I'm not sure if there's a subway/bus stop nearby?).

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah skip the zoo, sorry Cow.

Disagree on Natural History. I think it's good if you have the time...

Also, check out World Trade Center and everything that they've done in that area.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
The Highline is a must.

1 World Trade Center has the best presentation of the 4 buildings (Rockefeller, Empire State, The Edge, and 1 World Trade) I've been to the top of. The views are great but all indoors. But seriously it's like a mini Disney attraction.

That said, the deck on The Edge in Hudson Yards is absolutely incredible. And there's a glass portion you can stand on.

Between Rockefeller and the Empire State? I'd actually do Rockefeller! Why? Because you can see the Empire State Building from it! Also has great views of Central Park!

Last edited:

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Continuing…

Check out Little Island! A billionaire built it to give back to the city. It's an amazing park/garden/piece of architecture. It's not far from the start of the Highline.

Home - Little Island

Little Island is a new public park where all New Yorkers and visitors can experience nature and art in a unique urban oasis on the Hudson River.

City Pass used to be a great way to save money if you're going to do a bunch of touristy stuff. Check it out and add up the prices and see if it works for you. The prices have gone up quite a bit since I did it, but all prices are up. The Circle Line cruise is actually quite nice.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
My advice: walk as much as you can. As someone from the UK, who's accustomed to getting everywhere on foot, NY is one of the most walkable cities in America.

Obviously the subway is great, and taxis are plentiful, but try not to fall into the temptation of getting a subway / cab everywhere, because there's a lot of cool atmosphere and unique micro-neighbourhoods between the stops.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
It's actually super easy and nice to walk around from place to place. By far the easiest big city to navigate on foot in the world. Subway and the ferry are convenient and cheap for getting to more distant spots.
Food is pretty expensive but that is balanced out by portion sizes being larger than you are probably used to.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Its at the very top of Manhattan so getting there takes well over an hour but the Cloisters is definitely worth checking out. Its at the very top of a park on a hill that should be just lovely in October. The entire converted church is a museum with tons of European artifacts from the 14th / 15th century.

www.metmuseum.org

The Met Cloisters - The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Art, architecture, and gardens of medieval Europe.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
  • Check out VideoGamesNewYork, awesome store that's just a blast to walk around and ogle things in. They also pretty brazenly break street dates on everything lol so if there's something coming out around when you're there just ask.
  • For museums, the Met is really just unbelievable in scope. For modern art I would take the Guggenheim or the Whitney (right near the high line) over MOMA. The problem with MOMA is it's a fucking circus. It's insanely crowded, everyone is talking loudly, no one is even looking at the art. I hate it. Obviously if something special is on exhibition that you want to see, you can still go right when they open, but in general I always leave disappointed with the crowd management there.
  • Since you're there for 9 days I would also highly recommend The Noguchi museum and Socrates Sculpture Park (across the street from museum) in Queens. It's really off the beaten path but it's a cool way to see a different neighborhood and the sculptures are beautiful, minimalist works of stone and marble. Great vibes there.
  • Some good places I have eaten lately
    • Rezdora - amazing Italian food, high-end, try to eat at the bar if you're solo, it's fun for people watching and the pastas are incredibly good and creative
    • Sushi Tanoshi - true omakase, like no menu, they just have a set seating time where everyone sits at the bar and the chef serves up rounds of amazing fish. It's a total hole in the wall and BYOB, but the fish is no-compromises outstanding and it's kind of a "secret" place
    • Eater always has a running list of Essential NYC restaurants that is pretty good, and it's not just all boring high end luxury restaurants
    • Katz's Deli, touristy as hell but it's the classic NYC Jewish deli which is now becoming extinct, amazing Pastrami, Brisket, hot dogs, etc
    • Also if you're not from the region you gotta have lunch at Shake Shack once lol... it's fast food but it's kind of essential now, like In-N-Out is to California
  • You don't really need to plan transit that much anymore, all the subway turnstiles now have credit card tap screens, so you don't need to prepare anything or buy a MetroCard in advance
  • I'm not gay myself but NYC is extremely gay and friendly in that regard, most of it anyway, so you should be able to have a lot of fun. Chelsea into the West Village is sort of the "classic" gayborhood and it's right near the High Line as well
It can be an exhausting city but there's so much stuff to do though - hope you have a good time!

Oct 27, 2017
I'm biased since I work on the show but for Broadway, come see &Juliet. It's a new show but probably the most popular new musical out right now.

For getting around, get familiar with the subway. Honestly Google maps is very good at telling you exactly which train for how many stops

reelbigeddy

Nov 16, 2017
UK
If you find yourself in Alphabet City then check out the Museum of Reclaimed Urban Space, it's housed in a legendary punk squat. It's not far from Tompkins Square Park and the Joe Strummer mural.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I ate at a place on the upper west side called Jacob's Pickles which I loved.

www.jacobspickles.com

Jacob's Pickles | American Restaurant in NY

“Jacob’s Pickles is not just a restaurant; it is a community.” Launched in 2011, Jacob’s Pickles has quickly become a New York staple for those in search of a good meal.

Also this:

levainbakery.com

Levain Bakery™️ | New York City's Most Famous Cookies

Famous for our 6-ounce chocolate chip walnut cookie, Levain Bakery has something for everyone. Send decadent cookie gifts now or visit one of our NYC bakeries!

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I went last year for the first time.

Use the subway. You can get a multi-day pass. Google Maps did a fantastic job telling me where to go and when. Citymapper worked great, too.

Central Park, The Met and the Natural History Museum were fantastic. There's a place called "burger joint" in the Hyatt hotel near midtown/Central Park. It's a small hole in the wall and fantastic.

Walking around Chelsea and Greenwich Village in general was nice. The High Line is a great walk between Chelsea and Hudson Hards, with great sights. The entrance/exit is right by The Whitney Museum. For food, you've got Chelsea Market, Pastis, and Bleecker Street Pizza which were all great. There were so many good looking options in these neighborhoods.

Grand Central and the NY Public Library in Bryant Park amazed me in terms of architecture. They're within a couple of blocks of each other. There's also the Vanderbilt summit between them, which offers incredible views of the city in every direction and it's a neat experience if you're good with heights.

I saw two shows on Broadway and enjoyed them a lot. I did not care for Times Square due to how crowded it is, but it was a sight to see for about 2 minutes before I wanted to move on.

philipnorth

Oct 31, 2017
My wife is there right now, and she also says little island, high line.

But she was planning on walking/shopping right now but it's raining pretty hard.

Any locals who have suggestions for what to do in the rain?
She's near midtown right now.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I ate at a place on the upper west side called Jacob's Pickles which I loved.

www.jacobspickles.com

Jacob's Pickles | American Restaurant in NY

“Jacob’s Pickles is not just a restaurant; it is a community.” Launched in 2011, Jacob’s Pickles has quickly become a New York staple for those in search of a good meal.

Also this:

levainbakery.com

Levain Bakery™️ | New York City's Most Famous Cookies

Famous for our 6-ounce chocolate chip walnut cookie, Levain Bakery has something for everyone. Send decadent cookie gifts now or visit one of our NYC bakeries!
Hoo boy you just gave me flashbacks to when Jacob's Pickle opened. Haven't been there in a decade.

Definitely seconding Levain. The chocolate chip and walnut is their classic cookie. Don't skip it.

For games, there are only a few used shops in Manhattan.

Videogamesnewyork - lots of stuff. They even publish games including some Dreamcast releases.
J & L - people will say it's overpriced and that's not untrue, but sometimes they haven't changed a sticker in a while and you'll find a good deal. Plus they tend to keep their stock in good condition. They also were the only place that would fix my broken New 3DS.
8 Bit and Up - an eclectic selection and I've never liked shopping there but they've got some good stuff.

Rokal

Oct 25, 2017
Its at the very top of Manhattan so getting there takes well over an hour but the Cloisters is definitely worth checking out. Its at the very top of a park on a hill that should be just lovely in October. The entire converted church is a museum with tons of European artifacts from the 14th / 15th century.

www.metmuseum.org

The Met Cloisters - The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Art, architecture, and gardens of medieval Europe.

I'm reading this thread on the subway having just left here, lol. It was fantastic, and a great vibe for a rainy day.

I'll also recommend the NY Transit Museum. The subway system in NYC is incredible and seeing the history and work that went into building it was really rewarding.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I used to live on 17th and 8th ave and would walk over to the Chelsea Market all the time. It feels like you're transported into Europe as soon as you go inside.

I was there about 5 months ago and we ate at this really nice Israeli resturaunt there. As someone from the UK it didn't really feel like Europe but it was a nice building.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Blue_Toad507 did you end up going?

I'm looking it to going for the first time next year, also as a first time travelling. Would be interesting to hear your opinions