Oct 25, 2017
www.pcmag.com

Ikea Threatens Legal Action Over Furniture Store Survival Game

Solo indie developer Jacob Shaw is trapped in a real-life survival horror experience with the Swedish furniture giant.

Not the first Infinite Ikea game, but one that's on the way.
Here's the Steam page.

store.steampowered.com

The Store is Closed on Steam

The Store is Closed is a coop survival game set in an infinite furniture store. When the lights go out, the staff attack. You’ll need to craft weapons, and build fortifications to survive the night. Explore the underground SCP laboratories and build towers to the sky to find a way out.

Why even sue? It's not like it's going to harm your business. It doesn't even use the Ikea name.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
But the store is not even called Ikea in the game. What legal ground do they have here?

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
But the store is not even called Ikea in the game. What legal ground do they have here?

I supose they decided the design aspects aren't different enough

If the devs made the design more distinct, they'd get away with it for sure.

IKEA said:
Your game uses a blue and yellow sign with a Scandinavian name on the store, a blue box-like building, yellow vertical stiped shirts identical to those worn by IKEA personnel, a gray path on the floor, furniture that looks like IKEA furniture, and product signage that looks like IKEA signage. All the foregoing immediately suggest that the game takes place in an IKEA store.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
This seems absurd. Even if there is obviously meant to be some parallells here, making a scary intepretation of something that is part of everyday life is par for the course when it comes to horror. And while it certainly alludes to IKEA, there doen't seem to be any explicit ties to it in any way or form.

MaiorZero

Jul 23, 2022
Poland
Z7HeRxU.png

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Probably just don't use the Blue and Yellow color scheme and they'd be fine. It's too on the nose.

As the complaint in the article itself says:
"Your game uses a blue and yellow sign with a Scandinavian name on the store, a blue box-like building, yellow vertical stiped shirts identical to those worn by IKEA personnel, a gray path on the floor, furniture that looks like IKEA furniture, and product signage that looks like IKEA signage. All the foregoing immediately suggest that the game takes place in an IKEA store."

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like the color scheme for the exterior of the store and the catalog design are probably the biggest issues. Granted, yeah, everything here is probably under parody but this is a small dev and IKEA has money. Might be able to change those and get away with it.

("Your furniture looks like IKEA furniture?" Get outta here)

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Is the only similarity being it's a store with a yellow logo and blue building design? Isn't this the same design of a Best Buy?

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
SCP is a Wiki where people come up with stories about the SCP universe. You shouldn't technically be making any money based on it but if you change enough stuff, it's not a big deal. ex: CONTROL was highly inspired/influenced by it and even the devs admitted to it. This fan game is no different. I only see them forcing the dev to change the store name.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the color scheme for the exterior of the store and the catalog design are probably the biggest issues. Granted, yeah, everything here is probably under parody but this is a small dev and IKEA has money. Might be able to change those and get away with it.

("Your furniture looks like IKEA furniture?" Get outta here)
I feel like they'd get away with it anyhow since it falls under parody no? I don't see what IKEA is trying to do here except trying to scare an individual.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the only similarity being it's a store with a yellow logo and blue building design?

Doesn't seem like it:
IKEA said:
"Your game uses a blue and yellow sign with a Scandinavian name on the store, a blue box-like building, yellow vertical stiped shirts identical to those worn by IKEA personnel, a gray path on the floor, furniture that looks like IKEA furniture, and product signage that looks like IKEA signage. All the foregoing immediately suggest that the game takes place in an IKEA store."

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Now it really is the Ikea game. Thanks Ikea for the free press. The developer should speak to as many outlets as possible about this to publisise the game around this, thereby cementing the perception that it's an Ikea game while making the minimum changes required.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I think this would easily fall under fair use in the US, but I doubt the developer is interested in a lengthy legal suit over this, so they will probably change the design of the store and uniforms a bit.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Secure Contain Protect
It's a massive horror universe.
SCP is a Wiki where people come up with stories about the SCP universe. You shouldn't technically be making any money based on it but if you change enough stuff, it's not a big deal. ex: CONTROL was highly inspired/influenced by it and even the devs admitted to it. This fan game is no different. I only see them forcing the dev to change the store name.

Sweden has a similar "satire is okay" thing so idk if there is a real issue here

Ah, thanks

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm deeply concerned that I'm going to accidently walk into an SCP-offshoot videogame the next time I intend to buy tables made out of illegally harvested Siberian forest lumber. It's just so confusing!

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Is this one of those dumb 'they HAVE to sue otherwise anyone will be able to use their IP!' cases

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Isn't the "parody is okay" thing a US thing?

US parody protection is stronger than most other jurisdictions. Weirdly, this letter originates from a US law firm, while the developer is UK based. Ikea would have a much better chance of winning any law suit in the UK. Though I imagine suing him in the US would make it much more expensive to defend, so that's probably part of the calculation to intimidate him into compliance.

IANAL, but I'm also not sure this work would truly fall under parody, it's not intrinsically poking fun at Ikea. If it's a broader satire, then that wouldn't necessarily be protected. Certainly an argument there.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Weird that Ikea would do this when the game didn't even make fun of the horse meat in their meatballs

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
4vFSV7h.png

That's an Ikea. pretty sure this dev saw this coming and thought they could get a lot of preorders for a middling looking survival game before the c&ds hosed their notions.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
4vFSV7h.png

That's an Ikea. pretty sure this dev saw this coming and thought they could get a lot of preorders for a middling looking survival game before the c&ds hosed their notions.
Go watch South Park Imaginationland for a very very encompassing look at just how far parody protections go. They were on the phones with S&P constantly to get all the designs as close to the real thing as they possibly could without going over, meanwhile this is a store (that could also be a Best Buy) that's name is literally satire.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
4vFSV7h.png

Oh definitely. If you can recognize that something is being referenced in a derivative creative work, it's super illegal.

/s

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
It's crazy how companies go out of their ways to look like the villains in stories like this. Is it just a lack of competence when it comes to marketing?

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Go watch South Park Imaginationland for a very very encompassing look at just how far parody protections go. They were on the phones with S&P constantly to get all the designs as close to the real thing as they possibly could without going over, meanwhile this is a store (that could also be a Best Buy) that's name is literally satire.
south park did their homework about what was protected.

the best this guy is attempting is that dumb speeding ticket 'I saw other people also speeding, officer!' defense. Which is in and of itself an admission of guilt.

He's going to lose this fight.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Chucky Cheese and other (now defunct) animatronic kids party places would have had legal ammo for years so either they didn't care, or IKEA doesn't fully understand how the parody/satire laws work and/or why this isn't harming their business.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

the best this guy is attempting is that dumb speeding ticket 'I saw other people also speeding, officer!' defense. Which is in and of itself an admission of guilt.

They didn't do anything illegal though. There is nothing to admit. Weird take.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't do anything illegal though. There is nothing to admit. Weird take.
I didn't say they did anything illegal. I'm saying they're an inexperienced dev working (seemingly) alone who thought he could escape the notice of a company the size of ikea, let alone win any kind of fight with what is a staggering gap in legal representation. He's going to lose, whether or not that's a bad thing is a different discussion. Looking at the kickstarter and early access page tells me this game's future sales potential probably isn't worth whatever legal fees he's facing.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't say they did anything illegal. I'm saying they're an inexperienced dev working (seemingly) alone who thought he could escape the notice of a company the size of ikea, let alone win any kind of fight with what is a staggering gap in legal representation. He's going to lose, whether or not that's a bad thing is a different discussion. Looking at the kickstarter and early access page tells me this game's future sales potential probably isn't worth whatever legal fees he's facing.

Essentially, legal bullying from a major company is OK, simply because it would be to expensive to pay for legal representation. Absolutely awful take.

He shouldn't have to try and escape the notice of IKEA in the first place, and I honestly don't think he ever thought he would have to. This kind of satire isn't illegal.

IKEA comes off looking like assholes right now.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Seems like this should be legally protected as parody, but 1) I'm not a lawyer and don't know where the lines are drawn, and 2) good luck standing up to a multi-billion-dollar corporation as just some dude. You can be technically right and still get ground into the dirt.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017

If he loses it'll only because he doesn't want to actually fight, because no he would not. "Furniture that resembles IKEA furniture" lmao they're out of their damn minds

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
wishlisted, I really hope this dude fights and wins, the more ikea looks like clowns after all is said and done the better

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
Highly encourage everyone to check out the SCP story behind it. It's totally bonkers.