Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
www.ign.com

PlayStation Confirms Japan Studio Will be Re-Organized - IGN

PlayStation is reportedly scaling back original game development at Japan Studio, the team behind Ape Escape and Gravity Rush.

In an effort to further strengthen business operations, SIE can confirm PlayStation Studios JAPAN Studio will be re-organized into a new organization on April 1. JAPAN Studio will be re-centered to Team ASOBI, the creative team behind Astro's PLAYROOM, allowing the team to focus on a single vision and build on the popularity of Astro's PLAYROOM.

In addition, the roles of external production, software localization, and IP management of JAPAN Studio titles will be concentrated within the global functions of PlayStation Studios.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I'm gonna spend the next long-weekend playing through JS games in my backlog/collection.

I'm eternally grateful for their work on Shadow of the Colossus.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Sad day, it means Sony's primary JP partners will be Capcom and Square-Enix with the middle tier guys forgotten.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunate. Astrobot is decent but I would prefer to see more interesting projects out of Japan Studio.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
RIP. End of an era.

Really sad that Sony has mismanaged the studio so thoroughly.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty freaking sad, wtf happened from PS4 to PS5 or hell from Vita to now

No one bought their games. Looking at the list of their output over the last 10 years is dire.

It's sad to know that almost none of Sonys biggest developers even tried on PSP or vita. First party support was relegated to Sony Japan and the B team

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
a5424852abc98df69ebd4b4e366e1b6f.gif

Astro fans eating good tonight

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
to me this sounds..worse than the leak? like basically Sony's Japanese presence is going to zero.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jawmuncher I'm not sure if the title reads correctly. It sounds like Asobi will be concentrating on localisation and IP management when the IGN sentence reads more like those roles in Japan have been dissolved entirely.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
to me this sounds..worse than the leak? like basically Sony's Japanese presence is going to zero.

It is worse. It means the external side of Japan Studio is also getting killed. The side that helped make Bloodborne, Shadow of the Colossus, Demon's Souls and all.

Basically Japan Studio doesn't exist anymore. It's only Team Asobi. Sony also seems to be shrinking its partnerships in Japan.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey I did my part, bought (and enjoyed) both Knack 1 and 2 at full retail.

The only IP I was holding out hope for was an Ape Escape reboot. I'm convinced a new title was in preproduction in tandem with the HUGE tease that anniversary Twitter until it suddenly vanished, my guess canceled. Oh well.

Aug 30, 2020
Very wary about the culling of niche / creativity. It does seem like this aligns with their direction and perhaps isn't a maliciously stupid as the killing of Studio Liverpool or Evolution Studios. But it's still very disappointing, distressing.

But in the last thread we had a great side discussion about the synchronicity of people who dislike this news and David Lynch fans. I also think Lynch is brilliant. Lynch had that PS2 ad. I think we're on to something.

Hey I did my part, bought (and enjoyed) both Knack 1 and 2 at full retail.

The only IP I was holding out hope for was an Ape Escape reboot. I'm convinced a new title was in preproduction in tandem with the HUGE tease that anniversary Twitter until it suddenly vanished, my guess canceled.
Yeah, that anniversary account got DARK in its last series of tweets. You could practically feel the depression coming out of each tweet as they wound it down.