orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada

Concord Is Estimated to Have Sold Only 25,000 Units. Here's Why Analysts Think It's Failing

Other analysts were able to share a bit of insight on the PlayStation side with me. Per Circana analyst Mat Piscatella citing Circana's Player Engagement Tracker, on Monday August 26, "Concord ranked 147th in US PS5 daily active players across all titles, with fewer than 0.2% of Monday's active PS5 players playing the game." And analyst Simon Carless, who authors the GameDiscover.co newsletter, estimated that Concord's total sales are sitting around 10,000 units on Steam, and around 15,000 on PlayStation (he responded to my email Wednesday, August 28, 2024).

Start with the marketing. According to Piscatella, Sony dropped the ball on this front, badly damaging its ability to build momentum ahead of release. He said it suffered from "low awareness and purchase intent among video game players" and indicated that Circana's PlayerPulse was showing that as of July, only a very small percentage of players were even aware Concord existed to begin with. Retail promotion was limited, "with just a handful of web placements across GameStop, Best Buy, Target, Walmart and the PlayStation Store." Joost van Dreunen, NYU Stern professor and author of the SuperJoost newsletter, agreed, saying that "while there has been trailers and some gameplay reveals for Concord, pre-launch promotion for the game appears to have been relatively limited."

I'm finding it very hard to believe that a AAA game from Sony only sold this much.

Link

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Nah no way, it has to be at least 100/150k units, there's no way it's selling worse than indies nobody has heard about.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW I didn't even know it costed money

honestly I only know concord from people constantly dunking on it/going "it's dead" outside of generic marketing my brains filtered out.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
It's easy to blame Sony for lack of promotion, but honestly, the game itself looks so unappealing that I'm not sure what exactly they were supposed to do with it.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Estimates like this are always going to be off on some order of magnitude, and shouldn't be understood as a specific value. The expert isn't telling you that it sold exactly 25K, it's like a bell curve with 25K being its average value, with the real value ranging from something much lower to something much higher.
Fixating on this number feels like people just don't understand how statistics works. You are making an educated guess with your math based on limited data points, you are not playing oracle.

As a side comment, but I always found the name of this game to be so weak. Now, I'm as far from the target audience for a GAAS as you can be, so me not liking the name is probably a good thing, but they really couldn't pick a better name then the English word for "consensus" and "harmony" for a shooter game?

Maki

Jul 6, 2024
Even that is a bad number but still better than fucking 25k.
Maybe steam numbers are correct, i am wondering about the psn numbers

Play tracker is a bit slow, after a week guesstimate will be easier ~
Screenshot_20240831_150713.jpg

Screenshot_20240831_150705.jpg

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is literally the first I've heard of it. I clicked to find out what it was. Maybe that number is right.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I'd never heard of this game until I saw the thread about the number of players on Steam.

I don't really understand the point of releasing an original, non-FTP hero shooter at this moment in time. The potential audience for this game is already too invested in existing games.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I think something people forget is that, in many ways, Helldivers 2 only sold it's crazy amount due to WOM, rather than Sony doing a good job advertising it.

I'm guessing they just assumed that would happen again, and thus now in a world of hurt when they realize that isn't some guaranteed thing.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Ignoring the units that player engagement tracker on PSN tells you everything you need to know.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Certainly, the most interest I'm seeing in the game is from people who seem to hate PlayStation and want to dance on its grave.

Lo squalo

Nov 25, 2017
I can believe it. Sone people were guessing 300k but thats based on what? Because its between 40 and 45 on the psn store charts? when your in that position u dont sell 300k copies imo.

Dreamyard

Jul 15, 2020
Nah no way, it has to be at least 100/150k units, there's no way it's selling worse than indies nobody has heard about.
I believe it. A large factor for multiplayer games is the player count, and Concord's matchmaking times are notoriously bad. That by itself would be enough to steer a lot of potential players away. Who wants to spend $40 just to wait in lobbies for long periods of time?

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
It has 8.5K ratings on the PS Store, so it sold at least that many copies on PlayStation. Given that it has a lower rating I suspect it has a higher than average purchase to submitting a rating ratio too.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It has 8.5K ratings on the PS Store, so it sold at least that many copies on PlayStation. Given that it has a lower rating I suspect it has a higher than average purchase to submitting a rating ratio too.

You could still rate the game if you played the Beta, even after launch. So the ratings don't indicate actual owners.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it makes a big difference if it sold 25.000 or 250.000 units. It needed to sell millions.

Oct 28, 2019

Unfortunately this includes the ratings from the open beta that was freely available. When it ended it had 7.2k ratings already... (Ratings are also a lot more positive post-beta tbf)

Oct 25, 2017
Start with the marketing. According to Piscatella, Sony dropped the ball on this front, badly damaging its ability to build momentum ahead of release. He said it suffered from "low awareness and purchase intent among video game players" and indicated that Circana's PlayerPulse was showing that as of July, only a very small percentage of players were even aware Concord existed to begin with. Retail promotion was limited, "with just a handful of web placements across GameStop, Best Buy, Target, Walmart and the PlayStation Store." Joost van Dreunen, NYU Stern professor and author of the SuperJoost newsletter, agreed, saying that "while there has been trailers and some gameplay reveals for Concord, pre-launch promotion for the game appears to have been relatively limited."

This is something people seem to not be capable of accepting when talking about Concord. They think it was "rejected" by ALL of gamers. They think there is no audience for the game, because people looked at the character designs and rejected them. But I've been saying, people don't know about this game. It's not even on the radar. The game was announced a mere 2ish months before launch and had little awareness raised around it. It didn't even have a steam page to follow for weeks after the announcement. There were a lot of unknowns about the game until the beta (and even after in terms of cosmetics and unlocks). How can hype and WOM form about so many unknowns, in such a short period of time? Only chuds used this to create negativity (and of course people are like, no way chuds don't matter!). Anyway, I think the lesson here is that failing to find an audience doesn't necessarily mean there is no audience. And a game isn't bad just cause it doesn't.

FWIW, the only reason I didn't buy it is because the specs are a little too high for my taste. I don't like when a game runs maybe 60 fps. I am used to 120+fps, so I'll get it when I upgrade my CPU if it's still going. I do think they should have targeted lower specs.

I won't argue that f2p wouldn't help. I don't think it's obviously a silver bullet either. They'd have to attract and hold WAY more players since the vast majority do not spend significantly.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
I think something people forget is that, in many ways, Helldivers 2 only sold it's crazy amount due to WOM, rather than Sony doing a good job advertising it.

I'm guessing they just assumed that would happen again, and thus now in a world of hurt when they realize that isn't some guaranteed thing.
Helldivers 2 also had a collaboration with streamers on launch that gave twitch drops: https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1aqhbxs/helldivers_2_twitch_drop_clarification/

It is crazy to me that nobody thought to try and replicate that with Concord.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
Certainly, the most interest I'm seeing in the game is from people who seem to hate PlayStation and want to dance on its grave.
There are actual PS fans who openly wanted to see this game fail and happy to see it fail. Because gaas bad. It's not just about platform wars when it comes to Concord.
unless you are being inflammatory (which is always the minority, no matter how vocal), there is nothing wrong with wanting the industry to cater to your tastes more.

it is also very understandable being annoyed by service games after seeing studios like rocksteady, crystal dynamics and bioware waste their talents with subpar service games they're not good at making.

the implication that if you are against service games, then you are by definition toxic, is unfair

Caramelhair

Aug 27, 2024
There are actual PS fans who openly wanted to see this game fail and happy to see it fail. Because gaas bad. It's not just about platform wars when it comes to Concord.
Is it specific on Playstation ?
GaaS on multi are well recieved when they're well implemented, even if Helldivers 2 has tanked a bit in numbers because of balance problems, the said services provided were really balanced and the weapon / campaign packs were great (well until they said fun isn't allowed much).
Path of Exile is a great GaaS game, I'm certain PoE 2 will also will be one. There's tons of good examples of GaaS out there.
But this is PC front and center. The online / mmo / coop etc. type is really absent from the top 10 PS audience, why is that ?

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
It's easy to blame Sony for lack of promotion, but honestly, the game itself looks so unappealing that I'm not sure what exactly they were supposed to do with it.

The game was suppose to be in everyone's hands right after the announcement. Open Beta for everyone.

This game needed to be played by everyone before the narratives set in. 100% potentially the only way this game could have been saved was a Open Beta shadowdrop on announcement. Could have killed alot of negative talking points before they even got to form

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
unless you are being inflammatory (which is always the minority, no matter how vocal), there is nothing wrong with wanting the industry to cater to your tastes more.

it is also very understandable being annoyed by service games after seeing studios like rocksteady, crystal dynamics and bioware waste their talents with subpar service games they're not good at making.

the implication that if you are against service games, then you are by definition toxic, is unfair
You can be against service games (by complety ignoring them), but you can also don't wish a game to fail. There are hundreds of developers who might be affected.

Is it specific on Playstation ?
GaaS on multi are well recieved when they're well implemented, even if Helldivers 2 has tanked a bit in numbers because of balance problems, the said services provided were really balanced and the weapon / campaign packs were great (well until they said fun isn't allowed much).
Path of Exile is a great GaaS game, I'm certain PoE 2 will also will be one. There's tons of good examples of GaaS out there.
But this is PC front and center. The online / mmo / coop etc. type is really absent from the top 10 PS audience, why is that ?
Yes, because Sony's pivot on gaas was not well received by the community. To see this failing would mean more focus on single player games. That's what I understand, generally.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
For some, but not when everyone else is convinced that Sony is risk averse and doesn't make these kinds of games at this level anymore.

That's not a good thing at all
It'll push expectations for innovation in AAA games even further, be a GOTY contender and just be a batshit crazy, fun time. It's okay that it doesn't appeal to you though.

Should have done it way sooner, so overall not impressed with Hermen at all.
Fair enough. I'm all for letting creators do what they want, but if you can nudge them in the right direction in the interim, then that's a net positive.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
The rites of passage for any publisher trying to push a live service game.

At those levels i'm not even sure F2P would have saved it, better luck next one i guess. Tough market.
Sucks for the team tho, seeing your product bounce back so hard.

Tobor

Died as he lived: wrong about Doritos
Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
They had to have seen this coming. The lack of marketing must have been intentional.

I guess they reached the point of no return where they couldn't cancel it but didn't want to put any more money into it either. Textbook sent to die.

Oct 27, 2017

Marketing strategies change both by genre and just over time. Helldivers 2 is easier for fans to convince their friends to buy a copy is because there's only a few players per squad and the game is PVE. That means you don't need a ton of random players online to find balanced matches, you can customize the difficulty to your group skill level, and there's just generally less pressure to get super competitive.

Basically, the barrier to entry is low so that makes word of mouth very effective.

Apex Legends did do a surprise release five years ago (inspired by Beyonce lol) and ended up doing great but that was still a coordinated all-at-once marketing campaign. Concord just never built big momentum no matter what Sony did and I feel like that's because it didn't do anything to stand out from the hero shooter pack.

At the end of the day, all MP games are primarily dependent on WOM for success. How do you convince your fans to try a game when there are a dozen other options that are F2P? Not to mention all of them have already had years of seasonal content updates, an active community, and are usually tied to a studio with a respected pedigree.

That's what makes me worried and actually confused about the rumors that Marathon development is having trouble. Everything about that game says it should be successful. Hopefully it shapes up as I loved the art style in the trailer.

As for Fairgame$, Sony really has to take some lessons from Concord and figure out a completely different marketing strategy for it.