Which Nintendo character gets their next game first?

• Yoshi

Votes: 55 17.7%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 215 69.1%
  • Luigi

Votes: 41 13.2%

• Total voters

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
yoshis-crafted-world-logo.png
DK_%28DKCTF%29.png
luigi-flashlight-on.png

We all know and agree that it's been far too long since we've gotten a new mainline Mario game, whether it's 2D or 3D. However, there are three other Nintendo characters that haven't seen new entries in their respective franchises for a pretty decent amount of time while Kirby continues to (and rightfully) strive across multiple games on the Switch.

Donkey Kong, who hasn't seen an entry since Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze which released on May 4, 2018.
Yoshi, who hasn't seen an entry since Yoshi's Crafted World which released on March 29, 2019
Luigi, who hasn't had a game since Luigi's Mansion 3 which was released on October 31, 2019

Now, I know we've heard rumors about a potential new Donkey Kong game over the years and not much, if anything at all, surrounding Yoshi's ongoing franchise. However, both of these mascots have pretty much been equally dormant for far too long. With the continuous rumors of Nintendo ushering in the next era of the Switch with the long awaited Switch Successor, it's fairly obvious or at least reasonable to think that these three characters are probably next in line to get new games soon whether it's on the Switch this Fall/Holiday right before the successor releases or post-Successor release assuming it releases in 2024.

If I had to guess the fate of each character:
- Yoshi's franchise feels a little more lowkey than Donkey Kong and Luigi, at least in my opinion, so I genuinely don't think it's entirely out of this world that we see Yoshi get a game that's a part of the Switch Successor's launch line up alongside Mario, which we all expect to be the flagship title.
- Donkey Kong seems like he's been due for a new game for far too long and I'm pretty sure we've even heard rumors of a new Donkey Kong game possibly being in development but I really feel like the next time he gets a game, it's gonna be a "moment" for Nintendo. He's gonna get the big blowout treatment with a ton of marketing and hype leading up to that release since it's been so long, which is why I don't really think he's a lock for a launch lineup title for the Switch Successor or as close as we all wish it was.
- Luigi seems like he's always going to be a lock for an October release as Nintendo continues the Luigi's Mansion franchise. As for which October seems more likely, honestly, both October 2023 and October 2024 are entirely believable slots considering it's about to be four full years since Luigi's Mansion 3 as of this year but again I don't see an entry happening until either Octobers

So whether it's a new mainline entry into their respective franchise or a port you've always held out hope for, who do you think gets their next game first: Yoshi, Donkey Kong or Luigi?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'd easily say DK is the next up on the table.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
I (perhaps foolishly) believe the DK rumors. That said, Nintendo likes to sneak out Yoshi games without much rhyme or reason and Good-Feel hasn't released anything in around 3 or 4 years.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I (perhaps foolishly) believe the DK rumors. That said, Nintendo likes to sneak out Yoshi games without much rhyme or reason.
The rumors sound fairly realistic no? Wasn't it something like a 2D game from a new EPD Team?

And yeah, I agree with you regarding Yoshi which is why I personally think it's Yoshi as well lol
I want it to be my man Lou. It'll be DK.
We deserve a new Luigi game even though I have no idea how they expand even further upon Luigi's Mansion

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
The rumors sound fairly realistic no? Wasn't it something like a 2D game from a new EPD Team?

And yeah, I agree with you regarding Yoshi which is why I personally think it's Yoshi as well lol

We deserve a new Luigi game even though I have no idea how they expand even further upon Luigi's Mansion
My son is obsessed with Luigi's mansion. He's designed his dream version that takes place in a theme park

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
DK is due and feels like a fine later switch game. I'd love a dk64 sequel.

I'd fully expect Luigi's Mansion 4 will be on the next console but be a shame to waste that engine, give me a dark moon remake on that engine for switch to fill the gap. Criminal that is trapped on 3DS.

Yoshi… who knows. I don't see a bigger one coming but they do throw him in random smaller side protects sometimes. Could happen.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I assume Next Level is perpetually working on the next Luigi's Mansion at all times, so I'd vote that just as the safest bet. Even if it's a once-a-console franchise it's the only one I'd feel is a guarantee.

Yoshi games are common but there's no real rhyme or consistency to them.

I feel like the Donkey Kong rumor is bunk, we've been hearing about it for years now. Though you'd think they'd want something new after the movie.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
It's about time for DK to either finally get another platformer or Jungle Beat 2: Switcheroo. That said, I could also see a new Yoshi game being on the Switch 2's launch window. Likely one that features a unique art style they want to showcase.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Going with Yoshi. They seem to come out at a regular clip.

DK games take ages to come out.

Luigi games also seems to take longer than Yoshi games do.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
DK is due and feels like a fine later switch game. I'd love a dk64 sequel.

I'd fully expect Luigi's Mansion 4 will be on the next console but be a shame to waste that engine, give me a dark moon remake on that engine for switch to fill the gap. Criminal that is trapped on 3DS.

Yoshi… who knows. I don't see a bigger one coming but they do throw him in random smaller side protects sometimes. Could happen.
I'd looooooooooooooove a DK64 sequel but as for your Luigi's Mansion comment, man you're right. Gimme a port/remaster with that gorgeous engine
I assume Next Level is perpetually working on the next Luigi's Mansion at all times, so I'd vote that just as the safest bet. Even if it's a once-a-console franchise it's the only one I'd feel is a guarantee.

Yoshi games are common but there's no real rhyme or consistency to them.

I feel like the Donkey Kong rumor is bunk, we've been hearing about it for years now. Though you'd think they'd want something new after the movie.
Yeah I mean I don't blame ya for the Donkey Kong rumor doubts, it's been so fucking long of it circulating that it's just hard to have faith when we've seen zero signs of this happening (but hell yeah team Luigi's Mansion!)

It's about time for DK to either finally get another platformer or Jungle Beat 2: Switcheroo. That said, I could also see a new Yoshi game being on the Switch 2's launch window. Likely one that features a unique art style they want to showcase.
Man, we're due for a damn Mario game and a new DK game

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
It's completely bananas that Nintendo got no consistent pipeline for new Donkey Kong games. Easily one of their most iconic characters and yet he got no studio to call home.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
DK's been the longest, is a major part of the Mario movie, and is the theme of Nintendo World's first expansion. Seems a pretty safe bet. I wouldn't be shocked if DK's retro-inspired redesign for the movie was also designed with future games in mind.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
Give us Wario and Waluigi by NLG goddammit. They deserve a solid 3D action adventure and Luigi can have a time out for a bit.

Basically Wario World and make them do heists for money and stuff.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I want Luigi, but it's prolly DK, which sucks unless it's a DK64/Mario Odyssey style game.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Give us Wario and Waluigi by NLG goddammit. They deserve a solid 3D action adventure and Luigi can have a time out for a bit.

Basically Wario World and make them do heists for money and stuff.
I'm genuinely amazed that we haven't seen anything regarding Wario this generation. I never really got to play any of those games outside of Wario Ware but fuck man they all looked like so much fun

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm just pessimistic about DK since Nintendo hasn't done anything with it since Tropical Freeze, but I voted for Luigi. Even Yoshi seems more likely. I would love a new DK game of some kind but it feels like Nintendo aren't interested.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Next Level Games just did Mario Strikers Battle League & Yoshi already got his Switch game, so DK.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
Don't think DK is gonna be a headliner in his own game again.

Luigi's Mansion 4 sounds most plausible to me right now.

seady

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 21, 2019
DK and Luigi have more more serious game mechanic and with fewer releases. Yoshi and Kirby are cute smaller titles for the kids that come out more frequently.

So I will say Yoshi.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Donkey Kong is the victim of some very bad timing regarding its release. Returns sold better than every Metroid Prime title at the time combined, but its sequel got released at the worst possible time in the worst possible console, and from what we know its follow-up got cancelled mid-development a few years ago. At least Tropical Freeze has belatedly found the success it deserves on Switch, where it has outsold its analogous Yoshi game.

In any case, I assume Donkey Kong is happening sooner than later. The character's focus on the Mario movie and the theme park is too large to ignore.

ShineALight

Oct 27, 2017
The date for Tropical Freeze in the OP is a little misleading since that 2018 date refers to a port. It was originally released in 2014. So clearly it's the most overdue.

mookie1515

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Luigi's Mansion 3 sell like, 12 million copies? I have no doubt we have another one of those coming at some point. But the fact is, the Switch is almost done and dusted and all we got was a Donkey Kong port. Really hoping we get a new one soon.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
My older son loves Yoshi and keeps going back to Crafted World long after we finished it so I'm going to go with that.

If the next one comes out on Switch 2 then I won't have much choice but to get one.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's DK, but at the same time I'm not sure if I want the rumors to be true that it's by EPD. I'm sure the game would be great (Jungle Beat was!), but I don't think Nintendo's design philosophy vibes with how I like my DK games.