Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's assume 3 things.

1. There is no discernable difference in lag between playing a game on a streaming service and a local device.
2. The streaming services have better visuals due to upgrading hardware every few years.
3. Almost all the major third-party games are on streaming services.

I have no data caps. And my speed test means I get max performance.
kUFl9C6.png

I also don't care about "owning" games. Basically, I'm asking if everything actually works as described in my home wouldn't it not only be good enough it would actually be better? What is the argument against streaming games taking over for people like me?

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
1. Editing files and modding are gone
2. You won't be able to play these games once/if they leave the service or you stop paying Google / Microsoft
3. The companies will most likely use your personal data to conduct advertising surveillance on you
4. Both developers and consumers hand over even more power and control over to these giant companies
5. If the Internet is ever down, you won't have access to any of these games.
6. We are not sure about the environmental footprint compared to physical consoles.
7. Say goodbye to videogame preservation and people being able to play classic games that helped form the video game culture and legacy. That in itself should be a huge dealbreaker, imo.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
To point #1 you really should be looking at this:

GCPing.com

Measure latency to Google Cloud regions

Your download speed doesn't determine the input lag you'll feel.

Also keep in mind that your internet connection is never perfect 100% of the time. You can experience latency spikes, packet loss, all kinds of things that will never make your point #1 100% true 100% of the time.

And nothing can be "predicted" or otherwise remedied like it can be with online multiplayer games. So imagine if every time you experienced any sort of lag in a multiplayer game your single-player games went to shit; only it will happen more often because there's nothing the server can do to try to make you "feel" like lag didn't happen.

Akasaki

Oct 27, 2017
Modding. Being able to play if your internet goes off. Being able to fix bugs locally or change settings locally. You don't have any control whatsoever on how long you'll be able to play a game if in order to be in Stadia there are contracts that can expire (similar to how music sometimes gets removed after x amount of time).

I mean... you do you, but streaming games is something I'll never like, too much control of how/when and what I can do is removed from the me and all of that is given to google (as if they didn't have enough control already).

MrGerbils

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
- You can't buy used or resell your games.
- Cant share your games with friends.
- Can only buy games from one store, so limited opportunity for sales.
- Can only play games that are available on their store (PC has TONS of options).
- No mods, save hacks, etc.
- No rental service like GameFly or Redbox.
- No access to Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony first party titles.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
For your specific, not super realistic scenario for most people; you wouldn't.

In the real world though, there are infinitely more reasons to play locally than to stream games.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I don't think number 2 is accurate. We already saw it with Odyssey that it looked worse than local PC and console versions though some aspects were better (loading).

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Let's assume 3 things.

1. There is no discernable difference in lag between playing a game on a streaming service and a local device.
2. The streaming services have better visuals due to upgrading hardware every few years.
3. Almost all the major third-party games are on streaming services.

I have no data caps. And my speed test means I get max performance.

I also don't care about "owning" games. Basically, I'm asking if everything actually works as described in my home wouldn't it not only be good enough it would actually be better? What is the argument against streaming games taking over for people like me?
No reason to play on expensive PC anymore if it works

Consoles have too many exclusives esp switch with Nintendo games that the cloud can't replace

So the best combination would be to own a couple consoles plus stadia

The past
Switch/PS4/PC

The future
Switch/PS4/stadia/xcloud

Last edited:

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I remember when people said Netflix would be a failure. Complaints it only has old movies, stale content. No one wants to pay subscription watch streams. etc

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming Stadia (or xcloud) works well and is successful enough that Google (or MS) will not abandon the service, then I could see a future where I go with streaming for third party/multiplats and Switch for Nintendo exclusives. The perfect combo.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phil Spencer addressed this on the GB interview. He doesn't think that Stadia or Xcloud or other streaming services will be a proper full replacement for local hardware for a long time, if ever. If you're fine with the drawbacks that come with a streaming platform there's no reason you need to play on a console or PC, it's a personal choice on if the pros vs cons is worth it for any given person.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, yeah, hypothetically if the streaming services do turn out to be flawless and perfect then they would be better.

It's more the fact that I very much doubt they'll be flawless and perfect.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

So we ignore reality for a huge majority of users? It doesn't matter if the OP doesn't have data caps, Data Caps are common.

Even without strict data caps, users eating up terrabytes of data a week, will spark changes from ISPs, enjoy more throttling.

Furthermore, not everyone lives next to a Google data center.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
You are the perfect target for them. There's nothing wrong if you don't mind pay each month.

I do pay for Netflix, but it's a passive way to consume media. Unless there's a Google data center in my city someday, I don't think I'll switch.

Edit: there's one in Montreal, 20ms latency, way lower than expected.

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Phil Spencer addressed this on the GB interview. He doesn't think that Stadia or Xcloud or other streaming services will be a proper full replacement for local hardware for a long time, if ever. If you're fine with the drawbacks that come with a streaming platform there's no reason you need to play on a console or PC, it's a personal choice on if the pros vs cons is worth it for any given person.

But Google Guy said its the best ever.

OP
OP
Parenegade

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- You can't buy used or resell your games.
- Cant share your games with friends.
- Can only buy games from one store, so limited opportunity for sales.
- Can only play games that are available on their store (PC has TONS of options).
- No mods, save hacks, etc.
- No rental service like GameFly or Redbox.
- No access to Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony first party titles.

xCloud will definitely have first-party titles from MS and reportedly Google will have their own first party titles as well. You'll always miss out on exclusives no matter what platform you're on. But some of your other criticisms namely rentals could be a problem.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
Modding. Long term game access. Control over what version or localization you are playing etc. I think concerns about game streaming goes beyond arguments about physics and hardware.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
two words.

DATA CAPS

People keep saying that and yet Netflix still takes up a large chunk of the United States collective internet bandwith every year. If people can afford to stream 1080p video so much its not a giant leap to stream games.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean for some people it will be a valid way to game.

Just like Netflix is basically for some all they need for their home video viewing.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
People keep saying that and yet Netflix still takes up a large chunk of the United States collective internet bandwith every year. If people can afford to stream 1080p video so much its not a giant leap to stream games.

You do realize that streaming a game will take a magnitude more data then buffering a video? This is even ignoring 4K gaming vs 4K video streaming.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Other than Sony exclusives, if Stadia works as advertised it'll be my main platform for 3rd party games.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Data cap issue is interesting, but all it takes is one ISP wanting greater marketshare to offer a "unlimited gaming/4K streaming" plan and the other ISPs are suddenly forced to have to react to that. Data bandwidth is something ISPs are more apt to give away before anything else.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
You do realize that streaming a game will take a magnitude more data then buffering a video? This is even ignoring 4K gaming vs 4K video streaming.
Well, not really, the server will send you the graphic and audio render, it's not different. My worries are more about input lag. Over 100ms, it's like my own brain is lagging.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
when it reaches that point, it's over for local hardware, yes. Clock is ticking.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
You couldn't possibly abandon consoles unless you're completely uninterested in Sony or Nintendo's exclusives.

If you're interested in any of those exclusives then you have a problem of convenience on your hands. You buy 1 Nintendo/Sony exclusive and now you own their hardware. In Sony's case, their hardware will have all the major 3rd party releases that you get on XCloud and Stadia in addition to the exclusives you can't play anywhere else. Plus the advantages that comes with not playing a games over an internet connection. Same applies to Nintendo just with less 3rd party support.

At that point you could pay for the XCloud/Stadia sub in addition to the console you own due to exclusive IP or you could just get everything on the PlayStation/Nintendo console. But this is all assuming that you're interested in any of their exclusives.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
It's a perfect solution for some if you're okay with the compromises but obviously even if some people were okay with the business model, things like bandwidth, data caps and ping will make it a deal breaker for the vast majority. That obviously changes with time but that's a different topic.

Do what works for you though.

MrGerbils

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
xCloud will definitely have first-party titles from MS and reportedly Google will have their own first party titles as well. You'll always miss out on exclusives no matter what platform you're on. But some of your other criticisms namely rentals could be a problem.

MS definitely has the least impressive first party titles right now, though that may change with all their acquisitions.

If the streaming tech works well I could see them trying out rentals, or at least timed demos Or something.

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Pls. xCloud has reportedly a much lower lag than Stadia, and even so it's near 70 ms on a wi-fi connection. There are people who would find this to be a quite bad input lag for their TVs or monitors.

coughlanio

Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
Data cap issue is interesting, but all it takes is one ISP wanting greater marketshare to offer a "unlimited gaming/4K streaming" plan and the other ISPs are suddenly forced to have to react to that. Data bandwidth is something ISPs are more apt to give away before anything else.

Not sure about the rest of the world, but some mobile operators here in the UK offer plans where certain services (Netflix, YouTube etc.) don't count towards your data cap. I could see Google maybe making deals like that with ISPs.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure about the rest of the world, but some mobile operators here in the UK offer plans where certain services (Netflix, YouTube etc.) don't count towards your data cap. I could see Google maybe making deals like that with ISPs.

Yep. That too. But if you're going to do that, as an ISP it probably makes more sense to yell from the rooftops that you offer "unlimited gaming" to make your competitors look bad, lol. "Unlimited gaming + 4K Netflix/Disney streaming" is totally going to become a perk that ISPs war over.

Because all it takes it one of the ISPs saying "fuck it we're sick of being 2nd or 3rd place, our marketing department says we can get a big chunk of new customers by offering free bandwidth and we don't really give fuck all about bandwidth anyway, so lets do it".

It'll work too. If AT&T is offering free gaming/4K Netflix bandwidth and Comcast refuses, that's great for AT&T.