• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I mean, we know Bioware right now is working on Dragon Age, Mass Effect and possibly on an Anthem 2.0. All of them major projects (although certainly in very different stages of development) not to mention The Old Republic. To think they might be working in KoTOR is not impossible, but seems unlikely.

And I was wondering who else under EA could be put in charge of this project?

Edit: or, with the recent news that Lucasfilm Games is now a thing, the possibities grow bigger. Someone outside EA then? Jschreier comment seems to indicate it's not an obvious choice.

Obviously a kotor reimagining would still be a RPG, but I always like when a company tries something new. I mean, Alien Isolation was developed by Creative Assembly and I dare say most people would agree it's a very different game compared to the Total War franchise.

So, is there any particular team that you'd like see attempting this project?

Last edited:

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
@OP, there probably isn't anyone who could do it besides BioWare honestly, maybe a Respawn+BioWare joint but even then I dunno. KotOR's story was completed in a Karpyshyn book and SWTOR anyway.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Any number of studios can do it if given the writing staff and budget. They could get Spiders to do it if necessary.

Bioware isn't the only company capable of writing likable characters, a networked web of dialog and choices, and a solid plot.

Mett

Oct 29, 2017
What about Respawn? They did a good job with Fallen Order, probably could do something good with KOTOR.

Or contract it out to Bluepoint.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It would be quite a departure not being turn based. Big job for anyone but EA would do it within. Still think it won't happen, Mass Effect their focus.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Once you get rid of the obvious? I dunno.

Harebrained Schemes in the biggest contract of their goddamn lives. How bout that.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
If I had to choose, get Bluepoint on it, though I'd imagine in they're going to be gobbled up by Sony soon.

I'd prefer a proper successor to a remake, honestly. Though I'd be concerned about what they'd do with the combat. I would still want it to be a party-based RPG first, and I dunno if EA would do that,

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
What about Respawn? They did a good job with Fallen Order, probably could do something good with KOTOR.

Or contract it out to Bluepoint.
The games are so completely different I don't think it would work. Kotor is completely an RPG, there is not much gameplay there that is 'action game' which is all respawn has done (Titanfall and Fallen Order)

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like EA's contract with Lucasfilm would be over by the time it released. If feels like too big of an undertaking at this point.

Smaller projects like Squadrons feel like all we're gonna get from EA for the next few years from them unless Respawn can squeeze out a Fallen Order sequel.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Of course I want Obsidian to do it since KOTOR 2 is my favorite game of all time. That said, let's get them working on New Vegas instead...

I say have someone like Respawn do it. The D20 based combat in KOTOR (which I do like and frankly I enjoy way more than Mass Effect's combat) is broken as hell, and replacing it with a more action-RPG combat style seems to be all the rage. I'd love to see what they could do with it.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone at this point. It's the easiest open-goal financial win available. I figure the reason it's not happened is at a Disney/Lucas level, rather than a lack of game developers or publishers wanting to make it happen.

Given how everything in the new EU is so tightly scripted to feed into one another, ala Marvel, it makes the chances of this remake being true almost zero.

Shame, best piece of Star Wars ever created.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Any number of studios can do it if given the writing staff and budget. They could get Spiders to do it if necessary.

Bioware isn't the only company capable of writing likable characters, a networked web of dialog and choices, and a solid plot.
Those aspects aren't the aspects of Kotor that I think another studio may have an issue with. What other big studio than obsidian has made an excellent and big rtwp RPG in the last decade?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Thanks for bringing up Spiders. They may not be triple-A, but they arguably put out the best "Bioware" game last gen.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder since a while if the reason we haven't seen a real Star Wars RPG is Disney with their every game has to be canon thing, and they don't want games with a Character Creator and or decisions which changes the course of the game.
I really want a Star Wars RPG....

Oct 27, 2017
It depends on what we're talking about. A remake could go to a number of studios as it would mostly be a matter of modernizing the graphics and gameplay.
A reboot would be tougher, as it'd be difficult to find someone with both the writing and gameplay chops necessary to make a solid game. I struggle to think of large triple A studios with RPG experience that aren't busy working on their own projects.

Last edited:

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Anyone at this point. It's the easiest open-goal financial win available. I figure the reason it's not happened is at a Disney/Lucas level, rather than a lack of game developers or publishers wanting to make it happen.

Given how everything in the new EU is so tightly scripted to feed into one another, ala Marvel, it makes the chances of this remake being true almost zero.

Wasn't KOTOR recanonized recently? I remember hearing something about that but I'm not too sure.

Oct 27, 2017
Is a new KOTOR even possible or worthwhile now that it likely has to be jammed into Disney's toddler version of the Star Wars universe?

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017

Sad that Disney won't accept something that happened thousands of years before as canon. They don't want any sith lords seeming more powerful than Sidious...
Thanks for bringing up Spiders. They may not be triple-A, but they arguably put out the best "Bioware" game last gen.
Haven't heard of them what game did they make?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Those aspects aren't the aspects of Kotor that I think another studio may have an issue with. What other big studio than obsidian has made an excellent and big rtwp RPG in the last decade?
Does the gameplay need to be rtwp? I think no. A general action RPG with a pause/slowdown like Mass Effect or FFVIIR would suffice.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
With Obsidian gone to become Xbox studio there is only one independent dev house capable of building a big story heavy RPG left - CDPR. But I kinda doubt that EA would go to them with SW licence - or that they will be interested in doing a KOTOR remake.

Sep 7, 2020
Honestly, I don't know if any studio other than bioware can do it in house. Unless the gameplay changes drastically. My thirst for a new KOTOR is unreal but I want a good game and it appears that Bioware has their hands fully. I would live ti see Obsidian go at it but EA and Microsoft likely wont be able to get a deal done.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Sad that Disney won't accept something that happened thousands of years before as canon. They don't want any sith lords seeming more powerful than Sidious...

Greedfall. I haven't played it yet, but it's the closest thing to a Bioware style real-time game since Andromeda.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Also I think real-time-with-pause (in the D20 sense) is basically dead outside isometric games. If Bioware wanted to make those kinds of games, they wouldn't have spent the last decade and a half trying to make games with more action-driven combat. I bet if you asked people who worked on the game, they probably think RTWP was the most inscrutable part of the game and held it back from being a generation defining megahit (instead of a decent hit).

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They got a lot of success with Greedfall. It's got some flaws and clearly is hampered by resources and budget, but it really harkens back to the old-school Bioware flavor.
28fb4e0fa869d2000297611876832aa1402c91b2.gifv

Don't get me wrong; it's not the next Dragon Age or Mass Effect, but it punches above its weight, and I found it more enjoyable than Andromeda, Inquisition, and Anthem last gen.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't KOTOR recanonized recently? I remember hearing something about that but I'm not too sure.
They referenced the mandalorian war in the cartoon and had some artwork or something with ancient sith lords in it but nothing so bold as saying kotor actually happened. Unless I missed a release

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Also I think real-time-with-pause (in the D20 sense) is basically dead outside isometric games. If Bioware wanted to make those kinds of games, they wouldn't have spent the last decade and a half trying to make games with more action-driven combat. I bet if you asked people who worked on the game, they probably think RTWP was the most inscrutable part of the game and held it back from being a generation defining megahit (instead of a decent hit).
They got bought by ea and suddenly took most of the RPG elements out of their RPGs...
Okay so mass effect was a a shooter from the start so maybe that's not completely fair but the change between me1 and me2 even though both are technically shooters is very noticeable

Ffog

Feb 5, 2018
Respawn haven't done an RPG before but they are clearly EA's best studio. Give them a crack.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
They got bought by ea and suddenly took most of the RPG elements out of their RPGs...
Okay so mass effect was a a shooter from the start so maybe that's not completely fair but the change between me1 and me2 even though both are technically shooters is very noticeable

I agree but ME1 and Jade Empire were already in development prior to EA's acquisition and already showed this shift beginning.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
You should play Jade Empire.
I have it isn't rtwp but it isn't exactly an action adventure game either.

That said I understand the audience for games like kotor was much smaller than the audience for action games and BioWare wisely knew they'd get more attention with a game where you actually control the action which is reasonable I guess.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is not a single AAA RPG released since Skyrim that isn't action based and voiced. Not one.

Even Final Fantasy falls in line now, it's just how things are going in that budget bracket.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I have it isn't rtwp but it isn't exactly an action adventure game either.

That said I understand the audience for games like kotor was much smaller than the audience for action games and BioWare wisely knew they'd get more attention with a game where you actually control the action which is reasonable I guess.

It's arguably the most action oriented game Bioware has ever done.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing was taken out from ME1 to ME2, just the redundancies were moved to the background or merged with their similar processes, like the Charm/Intimidate stat that went up the more you used paragon and renegade choices independent of you putting points into those stats.

After all of that, you're left with weapon stats that became redundant since accuracy was no longer dependent on how many points you dumped into your weapon of choice. Then ME3 brought more of those to the forefront and obvious.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017

Yea as much as I want a sequel, remake or remaster in the KOTOR universe, I don't think I'm ready for them to make Revan Palpatine's apprentice or have the Exile be a Skywalker. I'll take my faded memories over JJ Abrams' version.