Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way you could bring attention back to No Russian without drawing comparisons to videos of yesterday's shooting in New Zealand? Is there a place for No Russian in 2019 to begin with?

I think they have to cut it personally.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Look man if you make a level about a mass shooting you can't remove it because there was a mass shooting what the hell did you expect

The game let you skip it anyway

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Make it a cutscene maybe. But the plot is already so nonsensical that just plain removing it wouldn't really matter much in terms of that.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
That's almost a 10 years old game. No need to remove anything + its skipable

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, but it should have a disclaimer and allow it to be skipped, or add the option of it as a scripted cutscene.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No it shouldn't. It's an important part of the story, and a counterpoint to the feel-good heroic fetishism that increasingly plagues the Call of Duty series. You can either watch the massacre, or take part in it. Those are your choices. Call of Duty: World at War presented you with unarmed Germans begging for their lives, as Reznov offered you the choice between burning them alive or shooting them. That was an important statement.
No, but it should have a disclaimer and allow it to be skipped
Call of Duty games always have disclaimers for potentially disturbing content accompanied by a censored mode. The censored version of Black Ops 3 is... pretty odd.

Nov 3, 2017
I think it should be kept in purely because the outrage would bring more attention to it and drive people to play it on regular MW2 (which is still incredibly easy to access)

Taking it out of the remaster wouldn't do much for removing it from existence

I also think the upgrade (visually) would make it more visceral and harrowing and hopefully get some of these chuckleheads who think it's all fun and games to reconsider their stance

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
No, but them making it just a cutscenes would be more appropriate then it being playable.
Whils't I wouldn't particularly care if it was removed as I thought it was a pretty terrible mission in the first place, not for moralistic reasons but just purely design and narrative reasons. Saying that, I don't think it NEEDS to be removed and I doubt they would.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is an option to skip it, leave it in. It's part of the game and a piece of gaming history, there is no reason to completely remove it.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I think they should just have the option to skip it (and inform the player that the mission is skippable)

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
The original release already gave you the option to skip it and you didnt have to take part in shooting either.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I also think the upgrade (visually) would make it more visceral and harrowing and hopefully get some of these chuckleheads who think it's all fun and games to reconsider their stance
You seriously think the people who act like massacres are fun and games are going to have their minds changed by... a massacre in a fun game?

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
No Russian was tasteless shock value when it came it - neither time nor real world events change that.

Should they remove it? No. If you feel offended or uncomfortable, skip the sequence.

Sameer Sedlar

Feb 8, 2018
Egypt
No.
Games shouldn't avoid such issues or displaying them, especially mature games. Games can reflect the horrors and awfulness of certain actions, games should be mature in content and context, regardless if MW2 does that or not.

Also as others said, the game does offer you the choice to 'Skip' the whole scene if you so desire.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How about remove 8chan. 4chan. Can we start there.

Removing No Russian will do jack shit to stop white nationalist terrorism.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Leave it in, it's already skippable so if you don't like it don't play it but the original never forced you to kill civilians anyway.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
"No Russian" was removed in russian version of MW2, i wonder what they will do with remaster..

ShrtAttnGmr

Feb 7, 2019
When it was released, 'No Russian' was a gut punch and helped MW2 be more than just another shooter. I thought it was a great example of what could be done in a mature-rated game without simply just resorting to blood, guts, cursing, and boobs. You can skip the level. There are disclaimers. It should not be removed.

Nov 8, 2017
It's not any more tasteless this year than it was in 2009, a year which saw (in the United States, where the game was made) 2 mass shootings in march, 2 in April, 1 in August and 1 in November. Contextually, nothing has changed.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The fact that you can skip it and the fact that it's completely unengaging gameplay wise tells me you can remove it. You dont even have to shoot anyone. I have the Platinum for the PS3 version of the game and surprise, there's no trophy tied to it. There's no Intel to collect. It's a stupid mission that only serves as a stupid plot point in a stupid game.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Yeah, no. No Russian was a shocking and interesting mission, the game gave you a warning about sensitive content and you could skip the mission entirely, and also you could play it and shoot no civilians at all.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, honestly. It was just kind of unseemly in 2009, but we've had so many high-profile mass shootings since then.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
definitely in this day and age with terrorism and everything it should be removed, no need to promote senseless violence in videogames that a lot of children play.

ShrtAttnGmr

Feb 7, 2019
definitely in this day and age with terrorism and everything it should be removed, no need to promote senseless violence in videogames that a lot of children play.
Rated M for Mature. May as well go censor R rated movies too. Ubisoft just released a videogame where you're literally fighting through the United States Capital in the aftermath of a terrorist plot.