Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
Is there a character in a game that you hate so much that it has kept you from replaying or finishing a game you otherwise really enjoyed?

For me it's Trevor from GTA5. I liked the game and have thought about getting it again on current gen consoles whenever it's on sale, but I fucking despise Trevor. To the point where I feel genuine revulsion to the idea of playing as him again. This came back to me while watching Giant Bomb's Crime Crew feature which has Trevor and his friends as the focus in their current heist. Every word of dialogue just turns me off so much I almost want to stop watching even the feature.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
Is more a fight, but the whole Killer Croc segment in Batman Arkham Asylum fucks me up so badly that I can´t replay the game

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Dust: An Elysian Tale was almost unplayable for me because of the annoying furry faerie sidekick. Thankfully I pushed through that, because it's an extremely solid Metroidvania otherwise

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Crisis Core is a good game on the strength of Zack as a character, but Genesis existing and changing scenes like Sephiroth discovering his origins makes it a game I'd rather keep in my memories.

Oct 25, 2017
Crisis Core is a good game on the strength of Zack as a character, but Genesis existing and changing scenes like Sephiroth discovering his origins makes it a game I'd rather keep in my memories.
Genesis is one of the worst additions to the FF franchise period and Cissnei was pointless. You could tell without Sakaguchi, some of the charm of FF7 world is lost.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
For me it's Trevor from GTA5. I liked the game and have thought about getting it again on current gen consoles whenever it's on sale, but I fucking despise Trevor. To the point where I feel genuine revulsion to the idea of playing as him again. This came back to me while watching Giant Bomb's Crime Crew feature which has Trevor and his friends as the focus in their current heist. Every word of dialogue just turns me off so much I almost want to stop watching even the feature.

YUP. I hated Trevor so much and being forced to play as him made me unbelievably uncomfortable. I don't have any desire to replay GTAV anyways, but a large part of that comes down to Trevor being such miserable shit.

Beyond that: every annoying little kid and/or loli character in every JRPG ever. They're all garbage and I wish they would go away.

Oct 29, 2017
I put down Oxenfree for months because I just couldn't stand Ren. Eventually came back and finished it, great game overall, but that one character just grinds my gears anytime he's talking.

RTX ON

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Geralt from the witcher 3.

Bought the game of the year edition and can't bring myself to get past the "Gwent" tutorial. (I've forced myself multiple times to play it)

His voice acting is insufferable.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Akechi and Ryuji single-handedly ruined Persona 5 for me.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Corrin from Fire Emblem Fates.

He's a warlord that doesn't want to hurt anyone.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
Just curious as to why? You dont like the boss fight or....?
spoilers just in case
The "fight" happens in the sewer where Croc is underwater and you have to walk around and from time to time he will jump out and attack you. I have a big phobia of underwater stuff, if I´m in the beach and I can´t touch the ground I panic, so it just fucks me up

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Call of Duty Advanced Warfare.
4QLFxuc.jpg

Evon

Oct 25, 2017
Austria
Geralt from the witcher 3.

Bought the game of the year edition and can't bring myself to get past the "Gwent" tutorial. (I've forced myself multiple times to play it)

His voice acting is insufferable.

Which language are you playing in? From what I know the "original" Polish voice acting of Geralt is really good, so maybe give that a try with subtitles.

Mar 29, 2018
Trevor is ingenious

As much as the series' writing can be choppy as hell, it's a testament to that character that people can feel so strongly about him

He's the embodiment of "Grand Theft Auto". Insulting, reckless, manipulative, weirdly lucky, obsessed with chaos and playing with people.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If your games have lolis in them, doesn't matter the reason, I won't play it.

Oct 29, 2017
He doesnt annoy me enough to not play the game but the hunchback guy who fixes your car and stuff in Mad Max. I wish there was an option to make him shut the fuck up.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Beyond that: every annoying little kid and/or loli character in every JRPG ever. They're all garbage and I wish they would go away.
/thread

I wish I could mention one specific kid, but I can't, there's too many to make this trope justice with just one.
EDIT: I find it specially bad in Tales of games. I think the biggest reason I can't get into those games are the cliché characters and the rando kids are the worst of them.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
latest

"hey did you hear that furball? the OP would play GTA5 again but Trevor is just too much for them, gee imagine a character yammering away so much you just wish they'd go away forever huh? well at least Trevor doesn't keep reiterating stuff you just heard, now that would be really aggravating for over 40 hours!"

(it's Issun from Okami if you didn't know)

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
By my calculations, the correct answer is Fi from The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. The literal embodiment of over-tutorialization, excess hand-holding and disruption in game flow.

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say I wouldn't replay them but Persona 4 and 5 with the following characters: The trashy cat, Teddy and Youske. Fuck all three.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd go back to play Arkham Knight again but the thought of seeing
Joker
again has me not bothering. Even the batmobile didn't annoy me as much as he did.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Nate's brother Sam in UC4. Can't quite put my finger on why I find him so irritating. I played through once and that was it. The only UC I haven't platinumed.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
I guess story is never the deciding factor as to why I replay a game. If the gameplay is good, I'll ignore the story. If the story has problems and is unavoidable because it takes up a large part of the game, I probably wouldnt have considered replaying it despite characters in it.

I hate Roman, but I played through GTAIV at least twice.

Trevor is ingenious

As much as the series' writing can be choppy as hell, it's a testament to that character that people can feel so strongly about him

He's the embodiment of "Grand Theft Auto". Insulting, reckless, manipulative, weirdly lucky, obsessed with chaos and playing with people.

But he's not even believable. He's just South Park.

Akechi and Ryuji single-handedly ruined Persona 5 for me.

Is it still single if there's two of them?

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare.
4QLFxuc.jpg

Please tell me this out of context and makes absolute sense.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
I know it's not a popular opinion, but every time I think about replaying Portal 2 I remember Stephen Merchant is in it and I decide not to. I can't stand his style of comedy and he's basically playing himself. All I can see when I hear his voice is that gormless grin of his.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
Xenoblade X. You know who, that incredibly annoying furball.
I hear you, but the the mere existence of HB more than makes up for any of the game's character deficiencies. Will he ever stop excelling?

I know it's not a popular opinion, but every time I think about replaying Portal 2 I remember Stephen Merchant is in it and I decide not to. I can't stand his style of comedy and he's basically playing himself.

Totally get that. If he's not your thing, then replaying that game is a definite no-go!

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Genesis is one of the worst additions to the FF franchise period and Cissnei was pointless. You could tell without Sakaguchi, some of the charm of FF7 world is lost.
Sakaguchi was mainly responsible for cultivating talent. Since the merger SE has cycled through directors like they're seasons and continuously failed to find a reliable decision maker.

Crisis Core was a train wreck because Tabata produces train wrecks.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Trevor from GTAV is also one for me. I was in the same boat as OP and bought the game for PS4 because of Crime Crew. Oh boy there's no fucking way I'm playing that game and dealing with that shit-tier character.

I probably also won't be replaying Persona 4 Golden any time soon because I just DO NOT want to deal with Yosuke's bullshit. Teddie too, for that matter.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I get why they put Trevor in GTAV, it shows how creeply obsessed he is with Michael and his family, the threat of him getting revenge at any moment on Michael etc. I'm not sure why they made him playable though.