Jun 12, 2018
Came across this very interesting video on physical vs digital. I'm inclined to agree with the points raised, but I don't think i could ever give up physical media

What do you think?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I respect others opinions but I am never going full digital for various reasons like better deals, resale and games often patching out future-proofing features (eg God of War patching out 4K/60 for 1080p/60 and AC Unity's unlocked frame rate).

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I just bought Ghost of Tsushima physical because I had a stack of gift cards for Best Buy. Apart from that, I haven't bought a physical game in years.

I will say that when I lived in my previous house, my internet connection was only about 5mb and downloading games sucked. I was much more open to physical media then. Now, I have a place with a 1gb up/down and even huge games only take 30 minutes or less to download.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I'm 99.9 percent digital. I make exceptions for some things like the recent Mario 3D All Stars, but just not worth it for me. I never sold games when I was physical either.

My big beefs with physical are:

--games are installed anyway. It's just a DRM check. Plus many require big patches. Games evolve post release.
--game packaging sucks. It's not attractive. No full color manuals, etc.
--I like having a digital jukebox of games I'm playing. Way more convenient than switching discs.
--I don't care about stores shutting down since we're all finite creatures. I will die someday. I won't be upset if I can't play Calling All Cars 20 years from now.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I can't watch the video atm, can anyone bullet point their arguments please?

I personally can't give up physical on console for two primary reasons: lower cost and resell value.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I will never go all digital, because Sony STILL doesn't have a valid refund or trade-in system for digital games.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I got physical copies of Miles Morales, Demons Souls, and Cyberpunk all for 25% off. Try getting a deal like that for brand new games on PSN.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think it feels like every few days there's a digital vs physical thread here and it's really weird to me how much people either care about the format others purchase their games in or think others should care about the format they buy their own games in.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Digital only people starting to remind me of vegans that need to tell me they're vegan even though nobody ever asked.

Oct 25, 2017
I've already saved 75 dollars since PS5 launch by buying brand new physical copies instead of digital and I can still recoup even more by reselling if I want to.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak for the rest of the world, but I sold my entire physical PS4 collection (50+ games) and rebought EVERYTHING digitally.....and almost broke even. The idea that great digital sales don't exist (at least in NA) is complete nonsense. I'll never buy a physical game ever again.

That being said, I couldn't care less if you still buy physical.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
i got my first ever notice from my internet provider that i hit my 1.2 TB cap for the month, and it's absolutely from downloading to my PS5. If anything i might play MORE physical this gen

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
YouTube thumbnails never fail to amuse me with how formulaic and terrible they are.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
That it's weird that digital people feel the need to preach this so often.

I have a data cap so I'll never be full digital til that's no longer the case. Games were already reaching/eclipsing 100gb last gen. I won't be surprised if I see games that'll eat up a 5th of my cap this gen.

Not happening.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Consistently I come back to the fact that if physical media went away, Console manafacturers would have a monopoly, and the lack of competition would mean you can never find a bargain, or buy or sell second hand copies.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I will always be a mixture of both depending on many circumstances. Not sure why people have to declare their stance one way or another.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I hate digital media and I can get way better deals on launch day physical so yeah I won't be changing anytime soon when I pay half the price of a day one release in most game launches

For those wondering, yes I buy digital some stuff, but mostly indies and stuff I can't find anywhere else with the same price, for example something like 70%off digitally

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I will never go fully digital and here's why:

I like owning my shit.

My PS3 account was hacked and I lost hundreds of dollars worth of shit when I disputed FIFA bullshit charges and Sony banned my account and now I have no way to access the content I fucking purchased.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
AC Valhalla $35
Demon's Souls $45
Dark Souls 3, Resident Evil 3, Death Stranding and NFS Heat for $35 total
Nioh 2 $9

I think I'll stick with physical.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
i got my first ever notice from my internet provider that i hit my 1.2 TB cap for the month, and it's absolutely from downloading to my PS5. If anything i might play MORE physical this gen
I accidentally downloaded the GamePass titles I wanted, twice. (Long story) Even with that, and with the exact same Comcast-approved data cap, I have come in under 1.2TB for the first two months of heavy GamePass use, heavy Netflix use, online gaming, and me and my SO both working from home on our laptops.

I can understand why that big, initial transfer bodied your data cap, but you'll be more than fine going forward. In fact I checked my data cap earlier this morning and I intend to dump a few more games into the hopper just because I have the extra data to work with.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I like digital, I buy stuff digitally in sales all the time, but until digital is reliably the same price or cheaper as physical at release or until someone comes up with a way to trade in digital purchases I'll stick with my mixture of physical on release and digital when it's cheap, months or years later.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I'm aiming for all digital on the new consoles just to avoid clutter and having to swap discs. So far the only next gen game I've played is the Series X version of Yakuza. Waiting for digital sales suck when the physical version can be purchased below MSRP.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
Digital only people starting to remind me of vegans that need to tell me they're vegan even though nobody ever asked.
No kidding, I don't know why people are going out of their way to say they are swearing off physical games forever, as if it is some sort of morally superior decision. Congratulations on waiting infinitely longer for games to reach physical prices.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
This is mostly a knock on optical media specifically as a fragile physical media that won't last for the long term, plus a knock on mandatory installs that take away the biggest convenience of physical media.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
My problem with digital is: the moment I see the credits roll, a game has basically 0 value for me.
(I don't do GaaS).

But for someone on eBay it's worth like 40€. A physical copy I can sell, a digital I can't.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
um.....have you not seen Immortal Pheonix already down to $30 everywhere, yet digital cheapest is like $40 because of the sale

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
On a physical-related sidenote, I'm playing Xenoblade Chronicles X on Wii U right now, and I forgot how much last gen and prior had to access the disc. The noise is pretty annoying, and it just can't seem to stream in the assets fast enough. With most/all data being on the hard drives now, that's less of an issue, but I still like having choice, and I also like having the option to sell my physical copies later if I choose to do so. I really don't care that the disc is basically a license and I have to download/update a bunch anyway. That's just the way of things.

Yeah, it's been this way for a while. Or those who get a gaming PC for the first time and all of a sudden think console gaming SUCKS (to keep the all caps negativity theme going).

Oct 25, 2017
Resale value is too big a factor for me to go all digital. I have no interest in revisiting most games once I beat them and I can usually get back 80%+ of what I paid on eBay.

Digital is for indies, which tend to be digital only anyway, and deep discounts.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
The digital only people are really trying hard to take a seat next to vegans and people who can't shut up about how superior their PC is to the latest console. As far as I'm concerned there's still benefits to both physical and digital games.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I like digital because every time a disk is resold it's money out of the pockets of people producing the games I love, and money into the pockets of middlemen.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
The digital only people are really trying hard to take a seat next to vegans and people who can't shut up about how superior their PC is to the latest console. As far as I'm concerned there's still benefits to both physical and digital games.
These Reddit-tier takes are something else. Any other groups of people you want to nonsensically lump together and bash?

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Physical is often quite a bit cheaper. I can sell it down the road. If something bad happens and Sony or MS bans my account, I still have my games (Steam bans don't work like say Sony's). I like collecting titles that I enjoyed playing as well. So yeah, that's a Nope, OP.

That Yakuza 7 above is a great example. Got it for $35 from BestBuy where I had a $10 voucher from another physical order (Cyberpunk PC physical, yes, I know, but $40 plus $10 voucher was a good deal on a pre-order from ages ago with GCU), so it was $25. MS Store was the cheapest (talking consoles) at $44 (you can buy Steam version for just a tad under $40), but Steam PC games are a different conversation topic.

Let's not even talk about folks from Europe or Canada where digital game prices are terrible and you can get substantial discounts for physical games.

Edit: Another example for Physical. During Black Friday GameStop deals I got GoT for $18 with Mario and Sonic Olympics and New Super Mario Deluxe for $25 each (GoT used the others new). Also paid $25ish for Sentinels. Good luck getting those deals digital.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Disclaimer: I'm a full digital gamer, but I used to own just physical games and I'm not fully on one side or the other.

Yeah the realities of technology have made it so it's far less advantageous to own a disc.

However, another reality that the person fails to mention is how hard it is to get the best games updated for the new generation, and even when you do, sometimes it's not enough.

The Playstation 3/360 were the consoles that start this <Insert Game HD> craze, but now I can't play many of those games without a PS3 or unlimited bandwidth. I have to count on Sony making yet another HD collection for Ratchet and Sly, which I have my doubts about happening. Then there are licensing issues that prevent a sizeable percentage of older games from ever getting released again. So it's not as though I'm eager to grab a disc. It's just that the industry has continually acted in a short-sighted way when it comes to preserving gaming's history.

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
To be honest, I don't remember the last time I bought a disc but I totally see the appeal. Throughout the PS3/360 era, physical media was the only reason I could afford to play games at all. I bought a game, completed it as fast as I could and sold it recouping most of the cost. I could never afford to buy digital only games back then.

Now? I bought a DE PS5 but only because I have a disc drive in my SX and because it's going to be my secondary console. Otherwise, I would buy a standard PS5.

For example, I plan to buy Cyberpunk used for my SX and sell it as soon as I'm done.
I'm pretty sure there will be many more games like that throughout the generation. This reason alone is enough for me to support physical media.

May 19, 2020
how do you "randomly" come across a video with less than 250 views from someone no one has ever heard of

i think it's clear what's actually goin on here lol

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
For me, it's largely about convenience. I can move from game to game without having to get up and swap out a disc.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
And i am never going digital only because its like throwing money out of the window. no resell option and i just don´t see the point other than being too lazy to stand up and change a disc. the "less clutter" stuff people always come up with is nonsense when you can put the games in a drawer or cupboard.

i mostly always sell my games when i am finished and i also buy physical games used that are more cheaper early on than waiting for some sales.

but if someone has the money for convenience to not stand up to change a disc, more power to them.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There are certainly benefits to digital, but having the flexibility is nice with all of the deals you can get on used games and physical-only sales.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak for the rest of the world, but I sold my entire physical PS4 collection (50+ games) and rebought EVERYTHING digitally.....and almost broke even. The idea that great digital sales don't exist (at least in NA) is complete nonsense. I'll never buy a physical game ever again.

That being said, I couldn't care less if you still buy physical.

It's not that they don't ever have good sales, but that physical typically takes way less time to offer a good deal. And then of course not everyone is attached to their games like that, so you can save even more money in the long term

High-key

Personally I don't mind doing it for indies on the Switch, but otherwise I'll always prefer to go with physical if possible