DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj-7H0BVrVg

people.com

New Barney Docuseries Exposes Dark Side of Kids Show: Death Threats, Drug Rumors and Intense Hatred

I Love You, You Hate Me is set to premiere Oct. 12 on Peacock

Barney & Friends was a television phenomenon — but somewhere along the way, it became a catalyst for hate.

Peacock's upcoming docuseries I Love You, You Hate Me is breaking down the threats of violence and ruthless rumors that swirled around the beloved children's show.

"As [creator Sheryl Leach's] beloved character was heading into the stratosphere, people couldn't accept that this was just a show. And so, let the bashing begin," former Barney David Joyner says.

"Why does the world love to hate?" the trailer asks, giving wild examples of the growing backlash against Barney after it debuted in 1992.

"Some of the rumors I heard: Barney hides drugs in his tail," says one man in the teaser.

But the hatred for the show wasn't confined to rumors: Bob West, another performer who played the jolly purple dinosaur, detailed death threats against his entire family

"They were violent and explicit, death and dismemberment of my family," he recounted. "They were gonna come and find me, and they were going to kill me."

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize people hated barney like that. Definitely gonna watch this

Dec 30, 2020
Huh. I never hated Barney. Wasn't eager to watch it, but no outright hate.

Mocking sure. Lots and lots and lots of mocking.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Huh...as a kid growing up I intensely disliked Barney because I found his voice irritating, but I had not idea that there was such widespread hate during that time.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I was young then, but damn. Grown folks been weird and annoying asf forever it seems. Imagine targeting Barney of all things.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I went through a Barney hating phase because I was ten years old and all the ten year olds had to performatively hate kiddy shit, but the idea of adults caring about this show enough to send death threats is utterly bizarre

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I didn't hate Barney - I was too old for it - but the hate version of his song and the Batman smells song were definitely things I remember from school.

I hate you, you hate me, let's team up and kill Barney!

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I hate you
you hate me
lets get together and kill barney
with a 44 buzoka, blow him through the door
no more big purple dinosaur

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Barney was the only show I really watched as an (extremely) small child - like, small enough that I don't actually remember anything about it, just that my parents say I watched it all the time. But I do specifically remember hating Barney to be the first steps of rebellion among elementary school kids. A sort of specific, targeted dislike that I have to assume is inherited from adults - like, you didn't see that level of vitriol toward Sesame Street or other "baby stuff."

So yeah, would be interested in seeing that from a boots-on-the-ground perspective.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I remember as a child feeling that once I was too old for Barney I had to not only stop watching Barney but also actively hate it and mock it, but I always figured that was just because I was like six years old and trying to be cool. I didn't realize there were adults at the time also hating a show for pre-schoolers and sending death threats to the guy playing Barney. What the fuck?

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Bruh, I used love Barney. I had a Barney plushie that I used to take with me everywhere I went.
I even have an ID card of me as a little kid holding him with me.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
I used to love Barney as a kid until I got a talking Barney doll as a gift. It was supposed to only talk when you pressed it's hand, but it kept turning itself on and scaring me at night, so I put it in my parents closet and then it scared them. They even removed the batteries and it would still activate, and eventually we had to return it, where it also freaked the customer service desk out as everyone tried to figure out what was causing it to turn on.

I was pretty young and it was enough to scare me from watching the show ever again and I quickly stopped caring about Barney.

Stencil

Mailing Out Their Business
Oct 30, 2017
USA
Y'all never heard the hate emanating from the playground?

I wonder if that's what adult's who were annoyed by media did back then instead of complain on internet forums. Without an easy passive outlet, they'd be driven so mad that it compelled them to write threatening hatemail? Still seems fuckin weird. Barney is so dead-simple in terms of design, message, melodies, it probably activated something primal in those who were prone to violence. Now I'm just rambling.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Hating Barney was definitely extremely popular. For example:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZuCJgAOKKQ

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

At the time, I saw a bunch of it. I don't know if I every watched much Barney - I certainly retained very little of it if I did - but it struck me as rooted in the humour of the time, like a misanthropic purposeless iconoclasm. I guess I didn't see how far that hatred went though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I used to love Barney as a kid until I got a talking Barney doll as a gift. It was supposed to only talk when you pressed it's hand, but it kept turning itself on and scaring me at night, so I put it in my parents closet and then it scared them. They even removed the batteries and it would still activate, and eventually we had to return it, where it also freaked the customer service desk out as everyone tried to figure out what was causing it to turn on.

I was pretty young and it was enough to scare me from watching the show ever again and I quickly stopped caring about Barney.

You got a haunted Barney doll. That's nuts.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
i remember a shareware cd my father bought me which had like 100 games and one of them was an asteroids clone except they were barney dinosaurs that broke apart to various gibs as you blast them. I think the game was called Barney Blaster.

VCFL

Jan 24, 2018
"I love you, you love me, let's get together and kill barney."

I remember this song was sang so much when I was in elementary but I never understood why.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember elementary kids "hating" Barney, cause liking him meant you were a baby.
Hating him meant you were a cool 7 year old, and totally not a baby.
And many were irritated by having to listen to him with younger siblings watching all the time.

I never thought it was actual hatred though.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona

Did it say things like "Hail Satan!" and "I'll swallow your soul!"?

I came in at that time where Barney started right as i dropped Sesame Street. I remember the hate, but i never understood why, especially since i never watched the show. He was just an easy punching bag. There was even an episode of Animaniacs featuring Baloney where he was overbearing and obnoxious. Then came Teletubbies and Tinky Winky.

Last edited:

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I didn't realize there was such hate for him. Damn. Maybe I can vaguely recall some mocking of the songs but wow to some of the things I saw in that preview.

Jawson

Jan 20, 2022
I think it mostly came from annoyed parents and older siblings with Barney-obsessed kids.

Guzim

Oct 25, 2017
I had to pretend that I didn't like Barney when I was at school because I didn't want to get made fun of 😭

Bengraven