Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Look at this amazing walk animation.

Simon Belmont can't run in Super Castlevania IV (as far as I know). Instead he power walks, with heroic determination... or maybe it's constipation. His mobility is a far cry from the ninja-like athleticism of the post-SotN games... but I don't care. I'm playing this for the first time thanks to the SNES Classic, and I'm amused by how Simon moves.

Like, maybe his thighs are so massive and muscular that he can't move any faster... Too much friction!

What's remarkable, though, is the game doesn't feel slow or stiff to play. Simon has very tight controls, and the pacing is excellent. The enemies are arranged in such a way that you wouldn't want to move any faster, because if you did, you wouldn't have time to react. There's little downtime where you're not fighting or platforming. The game keeps you engaged with stuff to do, and the difficulty is approachable and fair. It's a lot of fun!

Also, the skeletons explode. When you strike them with your wiggly whip, they burst into a shower of bone fragments, which happen to be on fire. I guess it's like hellfire or something. Or maybe highly volatile marrow. I tried to find a gif... The countless skeletons of Dark Souls seem lackluster by comparison now.

The game is gorgeous, btw. Lush painterly backdrops... Tons of detail in the background and foreground. This game must've been mind-blowing back in the day for gamers still adjusting to 16-bit graphics. They really went all-out with attention to detail in the crumbling architecture and the moody countryside, caves, etc.

The game sets the tone nicely with a close-up of a brick wall overrun with spiders and centipedes, then the intro video of Dracula's tombstone struck by lightning, a phantom bat escaping and layers of fog rolling across the screen. 10/10 presentation that really drives home the added power of the SNES.

I want to close by commending the music: This is my new jam!

Don't know when I'll get back to this — still addicted to Bayonetta 2, and maybe I should continue past Pukei-Pukei in Monster Hunter World someday — but I just wanted to shine a light on this wonderful lil' gem that the rest of you have probably already played and adored. Good stuff! Simon 4 Smash.

Last edited:

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
It's an incredible game in every regard. My favorite game of all time. Glad you're enjoying it.

The graphics impressed me back in 1991, but they didn't blow me away. Until I got to the spinning stage. Then my brain exploded.

soniko_

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
the game is amazing, but the walking animation has always looked funny/dumb to me :/

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing I love: Half of the candles in this game aren't actually attached to anything. Must be ghost candles or something.

Also, why does Dracula stash knives in candles.

Faithless

Oct 27, 2017
The music still blows my mind until this day: so great themes and so much creativity in every track.
I'm still listening it more than 20 years later... damn.

I knew you were totally fuckin' awesome already OP, but this takes it to a new level.

FOREVER my favorite Castlevania game, and probably the best X-Mas gift I've ever received.

Still adore the soundtrack, still play through it at least once a year on the original hardware, and still waiting for Simon in Smash.

killdatninja

Oct 26, 2017
Unrelated to the topic a bit, I feel like blessing the thread with the best Bloody Tears cover I've heard a few months back.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
First time playing Castlevania 4? Damn.

One of my all time faves. I've played it sooo many times since my first time when I was 6 or so.

The soundtrack is so awesome.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
First time playing Castlevania 4? Damn.

One of my all time faves. I've played it sooo many times since my first time when I was 6 or so.

The soundtrack is so awesome.
Yep, first time playing this game. I can confirm it holds up! I used to think it looked clunky, but actually playing it, it's quite smooth and precise. ME GUSTA.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I love seeing games through the eyes of Neiteio

I would probably never stop to appreciate the heroic determination in Belmont's walk.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I love seeing games through the eyes of Neiteio

I would probably never stop to appreciate the heroic determination in Belmont's walk.
I imagine him making Schwarzenegger-esque grunts with each footstep. Maybe it's because he looks like Conan the Barbarian?

"GIT TO DA CASTLE"

Anyways, if Smash gets a Castlevania rep someday, it's gotta be based on SCIV Simon Belmont.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It never got any better than SCIV in my eyes. It was unique, different. There isn't any game quite like it. It's hard even getting close to the quality of this soundtrack, made in 1991 no less. Final Fantasy IV sounded ancient in comparison

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a rumor about a new Castlevania for Switch, like what was done with Super Bomberman R? Don't know if there was any substance to that rumor, but it'd be nice if they made one inspired by SCIV.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
castlevania 4 has to be one of the biggest passion products of all time. i can tell nobody on the team was bored making it

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm reminded of how OP the whip is in SCIV, thanks to being allowed to whip in all 8 directions it makes the subweapons pretty useless most of the time, haha.

Neiteio Great song choice, i love the forest tune it's so good. Treasury Room is also a great song.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Game's aight. A little too easy (until the end), and the waggle whip is mostly useless. Brilliant atmosphere and some of the Mode 7 effects are still inspired. I would love a more linear CV again!

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
First time I've seen seen this gif but it's awesome.
1710133-contra.gif

I think the guy on the right actually looks more like Arnold so it's like there's 2 Arnolds on the cover.

15-castlevania.jpg

In my mind the Belmonts were always inspired by Arnold. Same goes for the Contra guys.

I guess Konami had a thing for Arnold during that time!

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, while the subject matter is "horror," the tone is definitely more like fun, cheesy, '80s action movie power fantasy. So I can definitely see how Arnold would be a point of inspiration here.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
100%. Arnold had a huge influence on games.

Contra 1's cover has a pretty shameless Arnold clone on it.
No not Arnold, Castlevania's art is influenced by pre-Arnold images of Conan, primarily Frank Frazetta art used as covers for Conan books.

eg

cdb854d590db5d6238eed787a213ea33-d8wr8ls.jpg

14-frank-frazetta-norseman.jpg

Contra 1's US cover has Arnold on it because Konami USA took the picture from a shameless trace made for an EU home computer version.
The original Japanese art is more of an anime-ised mashup of Stallone Rambo, Arnold's Dutch from Predator and Aliens.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
No not Arnold, Castlevania's art is influenced by pre-Arnold images of Conan, primarily Frank Frazetta art used as covers for Conan books.

eg

cdb854d590db5d6238eed787a213ea33-d8wr8ls.jpg

14-frank-frazetta-norseman.jpg

Contra 1's US cover has Arnold on it because Konami USA took the picture from a shameless trace made for an EU home computer version.
The original Japanese art is more of an anime-ised mashup of Stallone Rambo, Arnold's Dutch from Predator and Aliens.

Ehh I guess but I don't think there any denying that Arnold himself had some influence considering how damn huge he was at the time and how he was still inspiration for other stuff.

That specific look looks pretty Belmont-ish.
conan-the-barbarian-arnold-schwarzenegger.jpeg

Jan 25, 2018
Great thread. I also only played the game years after it came out (in 2007, when it was released for the Wii VC), but it held up very well. The visuals and music establish a really moody atmosphere, and I especially love how adventurous the game feels, first by travelling through the Romanian countryside, and eventually storming the castle itself. The walking animation is pretty strange looking, but I do like it. OP, I trust you're moonwalking up all the staircases in the game by holding the d-pad perpendicular to the stairs?

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SC4 is so good, between it and Rondo i'm not sure which one is the best classic vania.

Also SC4 OST is so damn good, simon's theme, the best bloody tears in the franchise, vampire killer, the forest theme, treasury, all brilliant

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Ehh I guess but I don't think there any denying that Arnold himself had some influence considering how damn huge he was at the time and how he was still inspiration for other stuff.

Arnold already looks somewhat like the original Conan art (mainly just the physique), which was one of the reasons he was picked for the role in the first place. Not gonna lie though. The first time I saw the box art, it made me think of Arnold from Conan.

edit: Haha...

While it might look a little silly today, the Frank Frazetta-inspired box art from the first Castlevania eschews the standard cute and cuddly NES aesthetic for something a little more dramatic. The blood dripping from Draculas mouth is particularly edgy for NES cover art. Over time, the Belmonts would get a lot less beefy than this depiction of Simon, obviously inspired by the then-recent Conan the Barbarian movie starring a certain future (and now former) California governor.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney

The movie likely re-popularised Conan as a whole, and was why Konami went for a Conan-type character for their little Famicom Disk Ghosts n Goblins ripoff.
But the art itself is a straight Frazetta clone.

Arnold already looks somewhat like the original Conan art (mainly just the physique), which was one of the reasons he was picked for the role in the first place. Not gonna lie though. The first time I saw the box art, it made me think of Arnold from Conan.

edit: Haha...
Yeah it's okay to see Conan being brought back to popularity as a thing, and for a kid of the 80s it was possibly the first exposure to Conan. But that quote is pretty myopic, it might be true it was edgy for the US release, but the art is straight from the FDS original (and MSX version), and is not unusual for Japan. Frazetta's influence on fantasy and sci-fi art is profound, and the fantasy and sci-fi themes of many (most?) early 80s games means his art was cloned hundreds of times in the era.

https://hg101.kontek.net/tracing/tracing2.htm

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could agree with you Neiteio, but sadly my fondness lies with Shanoa, Soma, Jonathan, and Charlotte of the DS titles. All of their walking/running animations are great, especially Shanoa's flowing hair.

Shit, I wish I had some good examples, but my google fu is failing me right now.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

FYI the guy that did that 'shameless trace' was a legendary cover artist in the UK and he died last month. HIs name was Bob Wakelin.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Damn I love Castlevania 4 so much. Like, seriously A LOT. Still my favorite of the entire franchise, yes even more than the metroid ones.

Unrelated to the topic a bit, I feel like blessing the thread with the best Bloody Tears cover I've heard a few months back.

GOD DAAAAAAAAAAAAMN . Ty for sharing this. My favorite Castlevania track EVER and you're totally right this is one of the best renditions I've ever heard. I'm in Castlevania heaven right now haha

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
FYI the guy that did that 'shameless trace' was a legendary cover artist in the UK and he died last month. HIs name was Bob Wakelin.
Yes I know. You don't need to put shameless trace into quotes, it is literally 100% a shameless trace of two Arnold promo shots, layered over some of the original Japanese art. Doesn't make him a bad artist or anything but it is exactly what it is.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
Best part of SCIV is the stages near the end where Vampire Killer, Bloody Tears, and The Beginning (From C3) play.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could agree with you Neiteio, but sadly my fondness lies with Shanoa, Soma, Jonathan, and Charlotte of the DS titles. All of their walking/running animations are great, especially Shanoa's flowing hair.

Shit, I wish I had some good examples, but my google fu is failing me right now.
Those are cool walking animations, but what I love about SCIV's walk animation is it's so goofy

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes I know. You don't need to put shameless trace into quotes, it is literally 100% a shameless trace of two Arnold promo shots, layered over some of the original Japanese art. Doesn't make him a bad artist or anything but it is exactly what it is.

Tbf it's a subjective description, it should be in inverted commas. It's not a criticism.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Playing through this game in the lead up to Halloween each year is a great tradition, it's timeless