• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
I got my Switch back in October. I have a Wii U, and I thought that from a design standpoint it was very much the wrong direction. I didn't 'get' the need for the tablet, and found the software library to be more than lacking. When I saw the Switch though, it absolutely clicked for me. This was what the Vita should have been. I love the design, the build quality, the concept - I even love its stripped back dashboard.

And the games! In year 1 we had a port of the best Mario Kart they've made, as well as new iterations of Zelda and Mario, all handheld! I'm not a massive fan of Mario and Zelda, but even I have admit that this is a pretty bloody strong launch year.

So I buy my Switch back in October. I get Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Mario Rabbids and Zelda. At first it was great, largely because of the notion of being able to dock and undock and essentially never have to suffer through start menus ever again. I finished Odyssey (it was fine), finished Mario Kart (it was good!), put down Zelda after the first dungeon and played a few hours of Rabbids.

And... that's kind of it? The software well has dried up and no matter what I try to pull myself back in, I come up short. I bought Xenoblade, and it's okay. It has a lot more tedium than I'd like. I bought FE Warriors, and again it's fine. I put in a few hours and I dropped it. Most recently I bought Splatoon, and it just straight up isn't for me. I do not like it at all. I feel like I'm just spending money on games that I don't really like because I so desperately want to enjoy something on my Switch. And these aren't cheap games either - because it's Nintendo, these are at least £40 a pop, sometimes £50.

And this year's 'releases' aren't helping matters. Tropical Freeze is one of my favourite games on the Wii U (one of the only ones I really, really enjoyed), but I'm not paying another £50 to play it on Switch when I have the disc sat on my shelf next to me.

I don't know when or if I will have a game on the Switch that I think is more than just 'okay', but I hope it's not too long because I love the platform. I'm not supporting it in buying any more games that I don't particularly care for though..

Not really sure the point of this thread. The Switch has games, you just don't like them or don't want to play them. So what is this thread gonna do about it?

Either be patient or accept that the switch isn't the console you hoped it would be. You purchased plenty of games that many people love and are critically acclaimed. I'm sorry you don't enjoy them.

This just comes off as a very whiny thread. "I bought a switch, but it doesn't have the games I want."

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
2018 has been pretty mediocre for Switch software imo.

I love the system, I just hope they have some interesting stuff to show at E3.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really disappointed with the Switch library. Nintendo's first party lineup has been fine. Par for the course for a Nintendo system. There's only so many games one publisher can release for a platform. Third party support is even worse than I expected.

Indies......oh man. This is where the real disappointment is. It feels like the floodgates opened.....in the completely wrong way. Every piece of shit indie is flooding the eshop and anything good getting released is getting buried in the sea of shit. It's like a mobile storefront. Now, Vita is by far my favourite platform of the generation. By a goddamn mile. So I'm happy to survive almost purely on quality indies.

But with Vita, it was a different kind of indie support. It was developers making quality games that had a passion and putting games on the Vita not because they should, but because they wanted to. The ratio of good games to bad games on the Vita store was exceptional. It really wasn't difficult to go on the Vita store and see what was probably going to be a good game to try out. Switch doesn't have that. It's garbage garbage garbage with the occasional good title hidden amongst the garbage. It's like mobile and I hate it.

In fairness this could more be attributed to how terrible the eshop and its layout is more than anything else.

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't turned on my Switch since I finished up the post game in Mario Odyssey. I'm super into the Bayonetta and Donkey Kong re-releases but I can't justify buying in at those prices considering I've played them extensively on my Wii U. Really looking forward to SMTV and Prime 4, but right now it's very dry yeah.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
I've been playing Cat Quest (Switch) and FF XV (PC) concurrently. I just finished Cat Quest. It was incredibly fun, more than FF XV. Better and funnier writing too. I was reluctant to buy the game at first because it looked almost like mobile garbage, but the art is actually fantastic and I'd say the same of everything else about it. Just started Blossom Tales and that seems fantastic as well, so far.

But yes, "AAA" large budget games are lacking on Switch. A lot of that has to do with developers/publishers being reluctant to support the system out of the gate. Now that it's proven itself, including sales for traditionally "not-Nintendo" titles like Skyrim, we've seen a lot more positive PR from big companies. If E3 doesn't have a good number of notable 3rd party titles, I'd be surprised.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The Switch is my first true Nintendo system and I've loved many of my purchases so far--some of which are my introduction to Nintendo's franchises. BotW, Splatoon 2, and Mario Kart have all been splendid experiences, while Odyssey was good for the most part.

So far, this year has been pretty mediocre. But I'm excited to dive into Fire Emblem which seems to really align with my taste.

d3nchija

Oct 28, 2017
London
Tried Zelda, didn't like it unfortunately, was incredibly bored after few hours..tried couple of indies (rocket league, enter the gungeon) wasn't really my cup of tea.
Kinda liked Mario & Rabbids the most, but didn't finish it.
Got skyrim and rayman legends(didn't even open the case)

Really wanted to play Hollow Knight on switch(tried it on Pc, amazing game) but where's the release date???!

Also, prices. I already own ps4 pro and one x and paying extra for sone of the games that I already own, was a bit too much.

Today I took couple of photos of the switch and planning to list the console on ebay...
Already feel a bit better. It was just collecting dust next to my bed.

So yeah, tried it , didn't particularly enjoyed it..similar to vita couple of years ago.

I guess portable systems are not for me in the end.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much the reason I haven't bought one yet.

Zelda is currently the only game I'm even remotely interested in, and even then I heard there's barely any towns in the game so I'm not that interested.

Waiting for either more games or a sharp price drop.

Turnbuckle

Oct 27, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
I feel ya.
I'm actually gonna let my brother borrow my switch for a few months so he can play through Zelda etc and hope by the time I get it back there'll be some upcoming announced games on the horizon.

WallSniper

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Every time someone says they didn't click with BotW it makes me super sad. I don't think I've ever had as fun of an experience before or after. What made you stop? The dungeons are definitely the weak spot of the game but we're the mechanics not gripping?

The weapon degrading is horrible and it really hurts my enjoyment of the game. I understand what they were going for with the imergent game play, I just don't like it

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Zelda is currently the only game I'm even remotely interested in, and even then I heard there's barely any towns in the game so I'm not that interested.

Barely any towns ... in a zelda game as a complaint? What? Besides that's not even true.
There are about 9

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is if you own other platforms, the Switch's library is mostly all late arrival ports, that cost way more money.

I was trying to hold off and buy Yooka Laylee for Switch, but I gave up and just grabbed the PC version for $10. I'm not paying $40.

Oct 27, 2017
Seconded, I loved the demo!

I kinda know what the OP means though. I love the system itself, it just feels so great to hold and carry around, and it looks great. The first year was great, but it says a lot that the only Switch game I play these days is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I completed Mario and Xenoblade 2 and loved them, played BoTW and thought it was shit, and that's it really. When it comes to multiplats like Skyrim and Doom, I'd far rather play them on PS4.

I hate the Smash Bros series too, so Octopath aside, there isn't much on the horizon to excite me. Please port Mario 3D World Nintendo.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is true. Only five characters in ARMS and four kingdoms in Super Mario Odyssey as well. Also, Odyssey is an auto runner .

Nov 8, 2017
I'm the same way. Only games I've played for length were Breath of the Wild and Odyssey. Everything else has come up short. Good games, but could not stick with it.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I'm the same way. Only games I've played for length were Breath of the Wild and Odyssey. Everything else has come up short. Good games, but could not stick with it.

Same here. I'm a Nintendo fanboy sure but with my current job, I work overnights. Bought myself a MSI Phantom Pro and well, I just want more big games on my Switch. I played Odyssey and Zelda to death. I love Donkey Kong but I had close to 170% done on Wii-U, I'm not picking it up again until I see a decent discount...if ever. I need my Smash Bros, metroid and Pokemon already.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Feel you op. The launch was amazing with BotW, I bought Spatoon 2 and other things after the launch but most of them ports. Mario Odyssey was also really amazing but I didn't really use my Switch a lot after I finished it.

Not that much interested in most Indies and not buying a lot of digital games either (only at a deep discount). I too feel that there are too many ports coming out that I am not really in the mood for now, like DK or Hyrule Warriors. I pre-ordered Mario Tennis and will immediately buy SSB but.. yeah, other than that it looks really barren for me too, I just keep playing my 3DS or PS4.

Also didn't like Rabbids and not buy Xenoblade 2 yet, as I wasn't in the mood for a long RPG (and the repetitive quest design also turned me off) back then. Will probably buy it next holiday season.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda my dilemma. Love the console, but not much has come out since Xenoblade. People bring up games like Celeste and SteamWorld dig and both are fairly short experiences I personally finished months ago.

But if you have a Wii U OP, you should be used to these kinds of software "droughts." Luckily it seems it'll pick up pace during the summer and likely continuing into the fall.

The main problem with Switch droughts compared to on other consoles that I've seen is that the Switch is such a damn good idea and I love playing it. But I can only play Month old games and ports for so long before I get tired of them.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
This is kinda a weird thread isn't it? The system has only been out for a year so obviously it's not going to have a VAST library. Super Mario Odyssey and BOTW have been critically acclaimed by pretty much everybody. Xenoblade, Mario Kart, Doom, Skyrim, Splatoon 2, Mario Rabbids and numerous indie titles have all been praised hugely / are excellent ports.

This is kinda like someone making a thread where they say "I bought a PS4 and love it but I hate the games. God of War? Meh. Bloodborne? Put it down after a few hours. The last of us? Got bored after a while. Uncharted 4? Decent but not amazing. FIFA? I hate sports games. MLB? See previous. Gran Turismo? Don't like racers.

I mean surely anybody could make this thread? I don't see how it's thread worthy - someone bought a Switch but doesn't like any of the critically acclaimed games it has.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
It'd probably easier if you knew what was coming in 2018/19. Nintendo announces new games in shorter circles before launch now. I'm sure you will have plenty to enjoy.

Also, compare it to PS4 and Xbox One at launch. Switch library, games content and quality of games is just so much better. The difference is that you might own some of these games on other platforms already (yes I'm looking at you, Skyrim...).

reMiX.

Mar 6, 2018
User warned: Personal attack on other users
What are the point of these threads? Switch has tons of critically acclaimed games, why make a thread saying you don't like good games? - comes off as trollish. Seems like a personal thing.

Another unnecessary thread with lots of trolls and Nintendo haters. How interesting. It's not for you, OP? So, sell it, and move on. No one cares. Millions of people love Switch and its amazing games.

There's other threads and general Switch thread for this. Why make another one? :/

stfu and go play your beloved Switch.
"How dare you not like this thing I like? No one cares, it's only YOUR opinion and I don't like the fact that are even bringing it up, keep it to yourself!" - How all you fools sound.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is kinda a weird thread isn't it? The system has only been out for a year so obviously it's not going to have a VAST library. Super Mario Odyssey and BOTW have been critically acclaimed by pretty much everybody. Xenoblade, Mario Kart, Doom, Skyrim, Splatoon 2, Mario Rabbids and numerous indie titles have all been praised hugely / are excellent ports.

This is kinda like someone making a thread where they say "I bought a PS4 and love it but I hate the games. God of War? Meh. Bloodborne? Put it down after a few hours. The last of us? Got bored after a while. Uncharted 4? Decent but not amazing. FIFA? I hate sports games. MLB? See previous. Gran Turismo? Don't like racers.

I mean surely anybody could make this thread? I don't see how it's thread worthy - someone bought a Switch but doesn't like any of the critically acclaimed games it has.
The main issue here is the lack of first party games by a company that's known for first party titles. You listed games for PS4 which is up to tastes, but for the Switch, Kirby has been the sole non port from Nintendo we've gotten all year. So it should be pretty obvious the difference between the two.

OP
OP
Brink

Brink

Dec 18, 2017

Genuine question: Do you make this kind of post in every thread that you feel doesn't reach a specific level of quality or just this one because it's centered around a negative aspect of the Switch?

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The main issue here is the lack of first party games by a company that's known for first party titles. You listed games for PS4 which is up to tastes, but for the Switch, Kirby has been the sole non port from Nintendo we've gotten all year. So it should be pretty obvious the difference between the two.

Doesn't matter, Nintendo already released great games which he only found OK. Not everything is for everyone. I bought a PS4 in 2016 and had not too much fun with it, 2017 was great.

Genuine question: Do you make this kind of post in every thread that you feel doesn't reach a specific level of quality or just this one because it's centered around a negative aspect of the Switch?

I feel like we get a lot specific and self centered "me" threads on Resetera in the last weeks, will be fun when E3 comes up.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I'll admit my Switch has barely been getting much play in the past couple of months, basically playing the occasional Splatoon 2 match or some Stardew Valley. But all it takes is one Direct and the excitement could be back. I think the E3 Direct should be pretty exciting. Nintendo really knocked it out of the park last year, so yeah, this year in comparison has been pretty boring especially if you owned a Wii U and don't plan on buying any of the ports. I haven't bought a single 2018 release for Switch yet this year but I'm confident things should pick up again.

To be honest, Nintendo has a lot of cooldown years with their consoles. Like they'll blow their load one year and then coast for a year and a half afterwards. But at least what's different here is that people who missed out on Wii U's games can play the ports in the interim. Not to mention Nintendo has been announcing games not too long before they release (well, most anyways).

CarthOhNoes

Oct 25, 2017
No, I make a post like this in a thread like this one - which is basically, "I don't like any of these wildly highly-praised games because reasons and I'm angry that it doesn't have games I like".

If you don't like Nintendo's output in the first year if Switch's launch then that's fine. However it is totally your opinion - many, many others (in both the media and the general public) have loved the Switch's first year.

What were you expecting? It just seems like you bought a piece of hardware without really liking any of the games available on it. Again, I'm not sure why we need a thread for that. If everyone did the same then we'd have huge numbers of threads along similar lines.

You say this thread is centred around a "negative aspect of the Switch" but that is 100% opinion. You say you put down / don't like Zelda and that's fine. But to say that's a "negative aspect of the Switch" just because you don't like it, when many have lauded it as being a masterpiece of game design which can stand up with the very best games ever made is crazy. This thread isn't about a "negative aspect of the Switch" in general, it's that you don't like Switch games. Ok. Fine. Do you really think we need a thread every time somebody doesn't like a company's output?

Last edited:

RandomTiger

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like you aren't really interested in indie/small games but just incase heres some good stuff (assuming you havent played it on other platforms)

Dont Starve: Punishing roguelike with great art style and potentially 100's of hours of gameplay *if* it clicks with you
Thumper: Violent rhythm action game, makes good use of HD rumble
Sonic Mania: A must if you liked the original megadrive games
Transcripted: Literally a geometry wars match 3 game and its good
Wulverblade: Looks lovely but is way too tough and I cant get past level 3
Tumble Seed: Really bizarre roguelike marble rolling game, great use of HD rumble
Crypt of the NecroDancer: Roguelike rhythm action dungeon crawler
Night in the Woods: Watch the trailer

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Switch is the new best platform for indies. If you're going to pretend they don't exist then that's your problem.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the OP is obviously trolling, especially since they mostly aren't responding to genuine posters/questions and just the people pointing out the troll itself, with righteous indignation.

That said, the Switch is clearly off to a poor start in 2018 that everyone is waiting for the back half of the year to hold the weight on. And I think it will, but I definitely sympathize with the people holding their breath another month until E3 hopefully reveals all the great shit coming out. I'm in the same boat.

But 2017 was a pretty fantastic launch year for ANY console. Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart 8D, Xenoblade 2, Splatoon 2, Pokken, ARMS, Mario + Rabbids, and Fire Emblem Warriors is a pretty strong exclusive lineup that basically any system would wish it had. Then there's also the very wide variety of indie games (including some exclusives), arcade games, and good third party ports now made portable like DOOM, Skyrim, The RE Revelations games, LA Noire, etc.

It strains credibility that none of these titles are interesting to almost every person out there interested in games.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't matter, Nintendo already released great games which he only found OK. Not everything is for everyone. I bought a PS4 in 2016 and had not too much fun with it, 2017 was great.

I feel like we get a lot specific and self centered "me" threads on Resetera in the last weeks, will be fun when E3 comes up.
Uh, yes it does matter lol. If they're not making "enough" games then that's where his/her problem lies. If there were more games outside of ports and older games then this wouldn't be a problem.

CarthOhNoes

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, yes it does matter lol. If they're not making "enough" games then that's where his/her problem lies. If there were more games outside of ports and older games then this wouldn't be a problem.

"I don't like any games on PS4. Make games I like. I won't specify what I want but I will state clearly that I hate everything."

Anybody can do this.

OP
OP
Brink

Brink

Dec 18, 2017
I feel like the OP is obviously trolling, especially since they mostly aren't responding to genuine posters/questions and just the people pointing out the troll itself, with righteous indignation.

It strains credibility that none of these titles are interesting to almost every person out there interested in games.
First of all, I have responded to quite a few reasonable posts. Read the thread if you care, I guess?

Second of all, your last sentence is bonkers.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"I don't like any games on PS4. Make games I like. I won't specify what I want but I will state clearly that I hate everything."

Anybody can do this.
But again, like I said previously, the difference is your complaint sounds much less valid when you're complaining about a console that has received dozens of big new releases and a plethora of exclusives this year alone. Not to mention the huge back catalog.

Switch this year has been mostly indies and old games.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'd just sell it. Thats what I did after BOTW.

I got almost my full money back, think I lost about $30 after everything.

Dunno, I have never really been super into Nintendo games outside of Mario and Zelda. I'll pick up the switch again probably after 6 years. Should be much cheaper hopefully, and my biggest thing is a hardware revision.

To me, the switch is not portable enough like my 3DS. I'd like something a little smaller, and a clamshell design would be nice. The current design doesn't feel like something I can whip out and play some Picross.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I agree OP, I bought a Switch on release and enjoyed it for a few months but I just got incredibly bored of BOTW and Odyssey. The best game on the Switch is actually Golf Story, but even that didn't keep my interest so I sold it for Xbox One X.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I feel you.

I've digitally downloaded basically every game worth buying. I love the indies, I love the Nintendo first-party stuff, I love the ports. Even so, it feels a little empty.

What I'd love:

—Fortnite
—Batman Arkham or an equivalent 3D brawler game.
—Madden
—"Nintendo Netflix" -- ie, access to the entire Nintendo back catalog. Why. Not. Do. This?? I can't tell you how much happier I'd be with the Switch if I could take Super Mario Galaxy & Super Metroid on-the-go.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First of all, I have responded to quite a few reasonable posts. Read the thread if you care, I guess?

Second of all, your last sentence is bonkers.
I fail to see how it's bonkers. The current exclusive lineup on Switch covers almost every genre in some way. And while some are niche, most of the titles have extremely wide appeal. Unless you're the kind of gamer who only likes cinematic linear third person games (and I like those game too, just not exclusively), there's something for you on the system currently. And that's only going to grow.

CarthOhNoes

Oct 25, 2017
But again, like I said previously, the difference is your complaint sounds much less valid when you're complaining about a console that has received dozens of big new releases and a plethora of exclusives this year alone. Not to mention the huge back catalog.

Switch this year has been mostly indies and old games.
A console which has been out for nearly 4 and a half years. Switch is VERY early in its lifespan. It took PS4 over a year and a half to get its first 90+ metacritic exclusive. Switch had 2 in its first 7 months. The output in 1 year has been utterly superb, if not in quantity then in quality. Compare that to a year of PS4 - Infamous was totally bland and repetitive, Black Flag was a crossgen / port game (which the OP criticised Dknkeh Kong for) and it took until the following big holiday period for big 3rd party stuff to start hitting. Let's wait till holiday this year shall we?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
What's the negative aspect here though?

You don't like the games - that's fine and a totally valid opinion. But that's clearly not a problem with the Switch itself.

OP
OP
Brink

Brink

Dec 18, 2017
I fail to see how it's bonkers. The current exclusive lineup on Switch covers almost every genre in some way. And while some are niche, most of the titles have extremely wide appeal. Unless you're the kind of gamer who only likes cinematic linear third person games (and I like those game too, just not exclusively), there's something for you on the system currently. And that's only going to grow.
Speaking for myself (obviously), I'd remove all the ports, because I've played them on PS3 or PS4. Which leaves a smattering of new games.

It's bonkers because it works on the assumption that a person has an interest in videogames and has completely dodged these various significant titles. There are people who I am sure that applies to, but I doubt it's that many.
Is this a joke thread?
Honest question.
It is not. Honest answer.

What's the negative aspect here though?

You don't like the games - that's fine and a totally valid opinion. But that's clearly not a problem with the Switch itself.

I 100% agree. And yet some people are still taking it as an insult.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
If you want to play more games on your Switch, my advice is to stop buying games on other systems and buy them on the Switch instead. Stop worrying about the little details and just enjoy the games. Try new games, things you think you might not even like, maybe you'll be surprised. Tons of people have been having fun with Pinball FX3 since its recent patch, and there's no shortage of great indie games to pick up. So just start expanding your tastes, and take some risks. Not every game you play needs to be the same pedigree as BotW.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I have to wonder if the issue is just with finishing games in general, or falling for the hype of games that in reality don't appeal to you. To think that many games would be something you would enjoy only to give up on them seems like you should consider being more selective? I know you may want to play something on Switch, but I wouldn't just buy anything hoping you will enjoy it or you will end up disliking it.

You also have to remember the System has barely been out for a year, including only one holiday when the majority of games release. The release schedule is starting to pick up and will likely continue to pick up momentum throughout the holidays.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I only own 3 Switch games:

Mario Odyssey
ARMS
Mario and Rabbids

I bought Breath of the Wild on Wii-U because I didn't have a Switch at the time. I do want to get Kirby but I sure as hell am not paying $59.99 for it.

Besides that there's nothing else for me to buy, I either have the games on Wii-U or other consoles. I will buy the Hyrule Warriors Deluxe but there's nothing else for me till Smash

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you have another console you're enjoying or PC then just let your switch collect some dust for a while. Eventually another game that you're interested in will come out. I'm basically in the same situation with my xbox one.