Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously Astro Bot Rescue Mission, a fucking fantastic game, was a phenomenal first party showcase for PSVR.

Now, Astro's Playroom is meant to be a showcase for the new DualSense controller, going by the trailer description. It's even preloaded onto the console!

It seems they could be on a trend of using him to show off new features and stuff of their consoles. I love how he pops out of the controller too.

A really great mascot imo!

Deleted member 18521

Oct 27, 2017
It's generic and it looks like Honda's robot.

ASIMO_one_hand_up.jpg

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Astro Bot has a good game apparently. Can't say the same for Knack series lol.

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
I love Astrobot the VR game.
I do not like Astrobot the character design.

It looks kinda like a generic B-tier sci-fi robot I'd see in a Black Mirror episode or something. Something about it isn't super appealing.

But I'm hype for the new game anyway.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I really like that they had several first party platformers announced. That was wonderful.

New locoroco now Sony I'm done fucking with you on this

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still pissed Sackboy isn't. I love Astro Bot but Sackboy is way more marketable. Failed opportunity by giving the IP to Sumo Digital

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Agreed, but at the same time I'm pretty sure Knack and it's sequel sold much more than Astrobot. Hopefully the next one will do better.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
This event was great for Sony mascots. Astrobot, Ratchet and Sackboy (I thought he was dead!)

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Knack was never intended to be a mascot. Cerny said as much in a 2013 interview.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
They really should go all in with astro, playroom was a bit of a missed opportunity. My little daughter loves it but there's not enough to keep her interested.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still pissed Sackboy isn't. I love Astro Bot but Sackboy is way more marketable. Failed opportunity by giving the IP to Sumo Digital
Regarding the second part of your post, I kinda disagree.

I think it's a very good thing for Sony to do to pass their IPs around different developers and genres to get more takes on them.

Id argue that's why some nintendo franchises have had the longevity they've had. You've got different developers making tons of different genres of Mario and DK. They've put different developers on Zelda and Metroid too to have their take on the series, be it trying their hand at the main series or putting out a different genre spinoff.

Sony hasn't done much of that and I think it's good to get that variety in their IP. Many of them are quite young but I anticipate they'll start doing this after the foundation has been laid.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Astrobots are cool.

But on the other side of things they wrecked sackboy, he looked pretty bad, like someone used the unsharp filter on him way too much.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
in my head canon astro boy is future Knack. and Knack goes back in the past and berates my step dad for yelling at me about not chopping up wood for the fireplace

when you think about it knack is like christ but better

newtonlod

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I would love to play the original but I dont like VR. Hope this one could be played without VR. And yeah, the little robot is really cute although I think Toro is the best.

And Knack is a bad bad joke, always cringed with the memes. Sucks so much that Puppeteer was dead on PS3 being amazing as it is and Knack, as bad as it is had a sequel because of the launch window selling.

Musouka

Dec 31, 2017
It goes well with the console design. Maybe it was the inspiration? I think it should be a digital bundle with all PS5 SKUs.

Edit: oh, I missed the pre-loaded thing the first time around. Nice! Yep, makes perfect sense.

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the second part of your post, I kinda disagree.

I think it's a very good thing for Sony to do to pass their IPs around different developers and genres to get more takes on them.

Id argue that's why some nintendo franchises have had the longevity they've had. You've got different developers making tons of different genres of Mario and DK. They've put different developers on Zelda and Metroid too to have their take on the series, be it trying their hand at the main series or putting out a different genre spinoff.

Sony hasn't done much of that and I think it's good to get that variety in their IP. Many of them are quite young but I anticipate they'll start doing this after the foundation has been laid.
Yeah i mean i have nothing against Sumo Digital. Its more a budget thing. I think Sackboy deserves a bigger budget, maybe not as big as Ratchet but you get what i mean. I also think the vibe of LBP was completely lost since its been at Sumo.
The soundtrack is not as good, and gameplay looks like something i could play in a Dreams game

zeuanimals

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I agree, Astro Bot could totally be Sonys Mario.

....Sorry sackboy

I haven't played Astro Bot but it seems more like Banjo-Kazooie, gameplay wise. This new Sackboy game looks to play a lot more like Mario, and finally, the platforming doesn't look floaty. Idk which has more recognition. Astro Bot being pushed in a ton of different applications on the PS4 vs. one of the first and most beloved "create a game" games' mascot.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Regardless of anything, I wouldn't mind Sony trying another stab at Playstation All Star with Astro Bot and Knack in it. There a lot of people who could be added since the original came out and probably fix what made the original not work compare to Smash.

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how they've been trying so hard with Knack and Sackboy when my sweet, charming and erudite Astro Bot was there all along.