Status
Not open for further replies.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Lol I'm kind of dumbfounded.

This guy on Grindr just moved here from Princeton for a summer internship in Big Tech. He's a 21 year old software engineering student that is from Rwanda. He didn't seem Ivy League smug or anything so I've been chatting with him on Grindr and he became obsessed with messaging me throughout this week, checking in on me "how's your day", "what are you up to", "can we hang out this weekend" etc

So then he asks me what I'm doing on Friday and I tell him I'm watching Ghibli movies, ie Princess Mononoke. He asks me what that is and I have to explain to him that they're famous animated movies often done by Hayao Miyazaki. He asks for an example and I'm like I told you, Princess Mononoke. He then says "oh…like anime movies?" To which I confirm yes. Then he tells me "Oh well this conversation wasn't bad so far, but now I've got to be an adult lol"

Lol excuse me? I was so taken aback. Do people in 2022 really still look down on others for liking "anime movies" let alone fucking award winning Miyazaki movies? The nerve of this kid condescending me. Like you're not impressive Mr Princeton. Everyone in this city is a software engineer at big tech and to come after me at 21 years old when I'm a rising 4th year phd student in computational biology and tell me you can't enjoy "anime movies" because you have to be an adult. I just can't lmfao. Blocked him on everything.

Does anyone still harass or shame you for liking nerdy things? I'm 31 and I'm like dumbfounded that a college kid had the ego and nerve to say that to me. I hope I wasn't that kind of trash when I was 21. Have you ever experienced someone trashing you for liking Miyazaki or "anime films" or anything else nerdy?

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017

This guy on Grindr just moved here from Princeton for a summer internship in Big Tech. He's a 21 year old software engineering student that is from Rwanda. He didn't seem Ivy League smug or anything so I've been chatting with him on Grindr and he became obsessed with messaging me throughout this week, checking in on me "how's your day", "what are you up to", "can we hang out this weekend" etc

So then he asks me what I'm doing on Friday and I tell him I'm watching Ghibli movies, ie Princess Mononoke. He asks me what that is and I have to explain to him that they're famous animated movies often done by Hayao Miyazaki. He asks for an example and I'm like I told you, Princess Mononoke. He then says "oh…like anime movies?" To which I confirm yes. Then he tells me "Oh well this conversation wasn't bad so far, but now I've got to be an adult lol"

Lol excuse me? I was so taken aback. Do people in 2022 really still look down on others for liking "anime movies" let alone fucking award winning Miyazaki movies? The nerve of this kid condescending me. Like you're not impressive Mr Princeton. Everyone in this city is a software engineer at big tech and to come after me at 21 years old when I'm a rising 4th year phd student in computational biology and tell me you can't enjoy "anime movies" because you have to be an adult. I just can't lmfao. Blocked him on everything.

Does anyone still harass or shame you for liking nerdy things? I'm 31 and I'm like dumbfounded that a college kid had the ego and nerve to say that to me. I hope I wasn't that kind of trash when I was 21. Have you ever experienced someone trashing you for liking Miyazaki or "anime films" or anything else nerdy?

People often think anime = Dragon Ball Z and stuff like that.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I mean…it's anime. I like pro wrestling, but I know not to bring it up at parties.

I mean tbf he was the one literally asking me what I was doing right that moment on Friday night and we had been chatting for a week and he seemed normal so I'm not a weirdo that's going to hide what I'm really doing if I'm in bed watching Princess Mononoke lol. If anything being honest filters out losers like this.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
yeah if this is your response he dodged a bullet

sorry but this is a wildly over the top overreaction lmao. yes people don't like anime. no many people don't take it seriously. get over it.

also 31 going for a 21 year old, ummmm...

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
After getting bullied in high school for it, I never even say the A word unless it's either a friend or someone who's already nerdy to begin with. If someone else asks me what movies or shows I watch, I try to be as vague as possible or just straight up lie.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

Oh lol. What a thing to write on the internet for hundreds of people to read. He really hit a nerve, huh?

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Hate to tell you, most people assume that if something is animated, it's intended for children.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017

sorry but this is a wildly over the top overreaction lmao. yes people don't like anime. no many people don't take it seriously. get over it.

I didn't say that to him obviously. I'm not a prick or socially inept. I asked him "what do you mean" to which he never responded for hours so I blocked him. Lmao at saying he dodged a bullet. Just because I type a thought out doesn't mean I told a person something.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He's narrow minded, but this seems pompous:
Like you're not impressive Mr Princeton. Everyone in this city is a software engineer at big tech and to come after me at 21 years old when I'm a rising 4th year phd student in computational biology and tell me you can't enjoy "anime movies" because you have to be an adult. I just can't lmfao. Blocked him on everything

Last edited:

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
tell them they have no taste and then show them this forum thread.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

also 31 going for a 21 year old, ummmm...
This whole post is really rude imo

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean…it's anime. I like pro wrestling, but I know not to bring it up at parties.
That's like the secret of my career lol.
Even had someone once tell me in an interview why they liked anime and Japanese games, and I played the part of the dumbfounded guy who's never really heard about that.

Still, Miyazaki is an absolute legend and he's gained a lot of mainstream acceptance over the past two decades.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
He's barrow minded, but this seems pompous:
Like you're not impressive Mr Princeton. Everyone in this city is a software engineer at big tech and to come after me at 21 years old when I'm a rising 4th year phd student in computational biology and tell me you can't enjoy "anime movies" because you have to be an adult. I just can't lmfao. Blocked him on everything

What can I say? I don't fluff my feathers unless you come after me. My friends know im a gentle humble person but if you try to insinuate you're more adult than me when you're 10 years my junior because of Miyazaki films, I'd have a few thoughts. Not that I told him that though. As I said, im not a rude person.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
My boss asked me what my T shirt was and I told him Cowboy Bebop and he's like 'what's that a movie?'. Told him it's an Anime and he laughingly scoffed and said 'ah cartoons, pshh.' and walked away.

The same guy when I was interviewed looked at my hobbies that said fighting games and said 'oh so I take it you like UFC?' Lol didn't really know how to respond. He's nice in general though but for some people anime and games are for children and dweebs.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Assuming this person was serious they did you a favor. It's always great when people show their true selves early on.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it was just a bit of banter/teasing? Seems a bit much to block him on everything because of that imo, lol.

English was like his 5th language and he chatted very literally with no jokes the entire week we chatted, I was highly dubious that he was intending to be joking considering he didn't even answer my question for clarification after obsessively texting me for days. :p

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
LMAO, you're a 30 year old hitting on a 20 year old and you're surprised when you get disrespect in return.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
That little angry tirade you wrote certainly doesn't help your "I am a mature adult" case

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
English was like his 5th language and he chatted very literally with no jokes the entire week we chatted, I was highly dubious that he was joking considering he didn't even answer my question for clarification after obsessively texting me for days. :p
Ah right. I figured that was his last message and you blocked him immediately, lol.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Sounds like you both have issues. Him for judging people who like anime, and you for insulting him because he doesn't like anime. Move on.

Gaucho Power

alt account
Banned
Feb 10, 2021
Yeah, anything animated is still stuff for kids for many people. At least Ghibli movies at large are respected in the movie industry from directors to critics, but for many they are just nonsense for children.

I don't even bother to talk about games/anime/cartoons in most settings because there is always more people who have some preconceived ideas about the medium. Given that I don't even watch that much anime/cartoons myself these days, but I still enjoy the classics.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO, you're a 30 year old hitting on a 20 year old and you're surprised when you get disrespect in return.

Like I said I wasn't hitting on him, this guy wanted friends in the area for having moved here for the summer and he had been chatting with me (I have lots of friends from Grindr) and obsessively texting me and as a nice person who understands what it's like to be in a new country and state, I was casually chatting with him. Things turned weird when he condescended me.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
No one has shamed me for my interests in a very long time. I would cut them off cause I have zero time to deal with people like this.

Find people who are on your same wavelength.

I disagree. Bring up anime, wrestling or whatever other nerdy interests you are into. Would be more interesting than hearing about how tiffany had 3 mimosas at brunch this morning. I often talk about my interests at both social and professional settings and it is great when the other person reciprocates. If they are not into it, the convo just moves on.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The silver lining at least is reminding people that yes, Ghibli movies are still anime

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
cIRIiSa0AI9OIBukDXgLIfElE6s=.gif

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I remember going to a con once back in like 2014, me and my friends were walking to the venue in our geeky t-shirts and a dude in a car driving past shouted out 'NERDS!!!' exactly like that classic Simpsons clip.

To this day I don't know if he was saying it as a joke or if he was really trying to insult us lol

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

Trust me, this dipshit spends hours each day watching nonsense TikToks. You've got nothing to be ashamed of compared to what he probably consumes all day.

Oct 25, 2017
Tbf even if it is technically anime Ghibli movies typically transcend any type of social stigma and are pretty much beloved by everybody.
Pretty much. OP just found an idiot. Miyazaki content is very well respected in the realm of film.
Some malformed egos still believe anything done in animation equals dumb kiddy trash.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Like I said I wasn't hitting on him, this guy wanted friends in the area for having moved here for the summer and he had been chatting with me (I have lots of friends from Grindr) and obsessively texting me and as a nice person who understands what it's like to be in a new country and state, I was casually chatting with him. Things turned weird when he condescended me.
How dare he insult anime!

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Let it go. Yeah, it's annoying but a lot of people out there see anime as a kid thing still. Just because it has become more mainstream doesn't mean the stigma has left.

If he wasn't going to be respectful about your interests, he wasn't worth trying to befriend and isn't worth being upset over.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, it's a guy who purporsely got into college in 2022 telling another person to be an adult. I think the call is coming from inside the house.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Era is a nerdy bubble since we're into gaming and similar stuff, but I don't think most people in the west put Ghibli movies on a pedestal.

In any case, you're taking it far too personally, OP. It's a kid on Grindr.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
What can I say? I don't fluff my feathers unless you come after me. My friends know im a gentle humble person but if you try to insinuate you're more adult than me when you're 10 years my junior because of Miyazaki films, I'd have a few thoughts. Not that I told him that though. As I said, im not a rude person.

Guessing from your reaction to this there is a pretty high change that he actually is more adult than you! :D Like...what is it with your obsession with mentioning your age difference, as if that somehow proves that he is a childish loser and you are this elder statesman? What is this? You are 30, not 75 :D

And all of this because he said "I have to be the adult lol". My goodness.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You popped out of the bubble for a moment and got slapped with reality.

A lot of people still think animation is kids' stuff. You have to suss out whether people you're talking to are interested in that stuff, rather than straight up announcing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.