Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a word thrown around by my peers in ways I've become increasingly uncomfortable with but don't know enough to say anything about so thanks for the making the thread OP, I'd like to learn more. I just think for those us with the luxury of being outsiders can choose to use more specific language like "pro-Isreali".

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I tend to not use the term, because I do see it very misused as a dog-whistle often enough to make me uncomfortable throwing it around. Easier and more precise to just call out Israel and its supporters/actions.

But, I am anti-zionist by the modern definition. AFAIK, modern Zionism is supporting a Jewish ethno-state. I am fundamentally opposed to the very idea of explicit ethnostates, so I am in fact anti-zionist.

Sure, many self-described Zionists may not outright support the Israeli government, and may disagree with its more extreme policies. But supporting a Jewish ethnostate, by definition, means you will have to support some degree/form of apartheid and/or ethnic cleansing. I don't see how you can reconcile supporting an explicit ethnostate while claiming to oppose policies like apartheid that are inherent to upholding that ethnostate.

Supporting the idea of a multi-ethnic democracy, with equal rights for all - is inherently in opposition to modern understanding of Zionism (the belief in a Jewish ethnostate in historic Israel).

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
Both sides do not have valid claim to the area though. It would be like saying anglo americans have an equally valid claim to the land we now call "America" as the indigenous people, they do not. The people that pioneered that whole abrahamic monotheistic movement, the figures you see all up in that spectrum are the folks currently facing genocide.

Do you not think that there has been an ethnic Jewish presence in the region going back thousands of years and/or that Jewish emigration from the area only occurred under peaceful, voluntary circumstances?

Even then, as I mentioned in my post, the main reality we have now is dealing with a populace increasingly made up of people born in the region through no fault of their own.

Last edited:

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, is there a better term? No sarcasm, I do think it is useful to have a description for "Person who wishes for Israel to actively pursue the seizure of land occupied by Palestinian people via forced displacement if necessary." Because there's a lot of them, and right now they're in power.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I'm sorry, but to me "supporting a peaceful solution while still rally behind the IDF" is not a center-left position. It's like saying you're pro-BLM but still want to rally behind the cops. You don't get to have both.
I think this is an unserious opinion. The center-left is not the hard left, of course it will rally behind the national army during a war that came about after the largest terrorist event in the history of the country?
Of course to people outside of Israel that is not a center-left position, but you need to at least try and understand the narrative inside of Israel in order to discuss this topic.

Eh, I tend to not use the term, because I do see it very misused as a dog-whistle often enough to make me uncomfortable throwing it around. Easier and more precise to just call out Israel and its supporters/actions.

But, I am anti-zionist by the modern definition. AFAIK, modern Zionism is supporting a Jewish ethno-state. I am fundamentally opposed to the very idea of explicit ethnostates, so I am in fact anti-zionist.

Sure, many self-described Zionists may not outright support the Israeli government, and may disagree with its more extreme policies. But supporting a Jewish ethnostate, by definition, means you will have to support some degree/form of apartheid and/or ethnic cleansing. I don't see how you can reconcile supporting an explicit ethnostate while claiming to oppose policies like apartheid that are inherent to upholding that ethnostate.

Supporting the idea of a multi-ethnic democracy, with equal rights for all - is inherently in opposition to modern understanding of Zionism (the belief in a Jewish ethnostate in historic Israel).
What is the difference between an ethno-state and a nation-state? What makes Israel an ethno-state rather than a nation-state?

I mean, is there a better term? No sarcasm, I do think it is useful to have a description for "Person who wishes for Israel to actively pursue the seizure of land occupied by Palestinian people via forced displacement if necessary." Because there's a lot of them, and right now they're in power.
Right-wing Zionism, Israeli Right-wing, Expansionist Zionism, Settlers, Kahanists.

Bramblebutt

Jan 11, 2018
Really tackling the important issues here, western liberals. I'm sure we can brainstorm another term identifying the proponents of a genocidal settler colonial ideology that is sure to offend no one, least of all any advocates of that ideology making scurrilous accusations of antisemitism, while still maintaining firm opposition to the apartheid state.

Heeeeeey wait a goshdarn minute this whole thread about that is filled with apologetics for the apartheid state! Now I wonder why people so concerned about the optics of the term "zionist" are also posting about the hopelessness of the Palestinian cause of liberation and casting the domination of the apartheid regime as inevitable or immutable!

atomicfear

Banned
Feb 1, 2024
Definitely not a word to use in polite society if you're avoiding trouble, scenes, hard feelings, etc. The truth is pretty complicated. A settlement somewhere in North America or Africa (bought from indigenous) would have been a lot less messy, in hindsight.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
What is the difference between an ethno-state and a nation-state? What makes Israel an ethno-state rather than a nation-state?
Although non-Jewish people living in Israel are not de jure second-class citizens, every time I have ever discussed the possibility of Palestinian integration under a one-state solution the primary objection I've been told, over and over again from both Israelis and outsiders, is that doing so would make Israel no longer a Jewish majority population. Not that the Palestinians would do anything specifically harmful, but that in practice a Jewish majority must be preserved. IMO that makes the ethno-state label appropriate, and if anyone tries to "gotcha" this distinction by saying that other nations with majority populations of one ethnicity or another also try to manage their population balance, well I think they're wrong too, especially as more and more refugees are displaced.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
I think this is an unserious opinion. The center-left is not the hard left, of course it will rally behind the national army during a war that came about after the largest terrorist event in the history of the country?
Of course to people outside of Israel that is not a center-left position, but you need to at least try and understand the narrative inside of Israel in order to discuss this topic.
I mean, I'm sorry but point remains. Essentially it means there is only 10% of the population who does not support the violent slaughter of Palestinian. A support of IDF, regardless of intentions and considering the history of the IDF prior to october 7, does not paint to me a support for a peaceful solution

EDIT: Rest is getting off topic and I don't want to get in a debate of "what is leftism" so i'll lleave it

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
I caught that edit... all the Jewish people and their allies in power in the world right now, huh 😒 Literally proved this thread's point.

I kind of get that, and obviously asking for the dissolution of Israel is not a reasonable or humane one . But I can't help but feel this unease and vast difference in power dynamics where on one hand we call for a "state" and the other it's a "liberation". The wording itself makes it self-evident. Even if, by miracle, there is that two state solution, would substantial reparations be considered? Would the return of land that has been stolen in recent years? Or is that locked down?

I hear a lot about how some would support Palestinian liberation but then nothing is said about what would actually entail from a Zionist's point of view aside from the vague "we support the self determination of the Palestinian people". Okay but how?
Check out A Land for All. You can view their charter by clicking on "Our Vision."
Also, this Haaretz article on them is a pretty good summary:
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...f960000?gift=f766c34b632a4e38bb0ead585d950ab1

Basically, they support an almost EU-esque solution to the Israel-Palestine conflict, whereby there are two nations with separate governments but they cooperate with each other, featuring full freedom of movement and freedom of residency between them (but citizens only vote in elections for whichever nation they are a citizen of). The 7 key parts of their platform are:
1. Open Borders
2.Palestinian Refugee Right of Return to the Homeland
3. Instead of Settlements, Israeli Residents of Palestine
4. Jerusalem/Al-Quds Shared Capital District
5. Shared Peripheral Security and a Focus on Personal Safety
6. True Partnership and Equality for Palestinian Citizens of Israel
7. Gaza is not an Island separated from the rest

This is what I, by and large, support. However, there's no denying it's a pie in the sky dream that's probably at least 75 years off from being a possibility, and that's being generous. Palestinians and Israelis alike overwhelmingly do not support this proposal. But it's also the only possible peaceful resolution to this conflict I can imagine. Two fully independent states does not make sense, they would be trapped in an eternal war as they already are now.

Last edited:

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
I caught that edit... all the Jewish people and the Jewish allies in power in the world right now, huh 😒 Literally proved this thread's point.

Check out A Land for All. You can view their charter by clicking on "Our Vision."
Also, this Haaretz article on them is a pretty good summary:
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...f960000?gift=f766c34b632a4e38bb0ead585d950ab1

Basically, they support an almost EU-esque solution to the Israel-Palestine conflict, whereby there are two nations with separate governments but they cooperate with each other, featuring full freedom of movement and freedom of residency between them (but citizens only vote in elections for whichever nation they are a citizen of). The 7 key parts of their platform are:
1. Open Borders
2.Palestinian Refugee Right of Return to the Homeland
3. Instead of Settlements, Israeli Residents of Palestine
4. Jerusalem/Al-Quds Shared Capital District
5. Shared Peripheral Security and a Focus on Personal Safety
6. True Partnership and Equality for Palestinian Citizens of Israel
7. Gaza is not an Island separated from the rest

This is what I, by and large, support. However, there's no denying it's a pie in the sky dream that's probably at least 75 years off from being a possibility, and that's being generous. Palestinians and Israelis alike overwhelmingly do not support this proposal. But it's also the only possible peaceful resolution to this conflict I can imagine. Two fully independent states does not make sense, they would be trapped in an eternal war as they already are now.

Oh shit that's super useful! Thanks a bunch.

Last edited:
you not think that there has been an ethnic Jewish presence in the region going back thousands of years
Yes, Palestinian folks are the ethnic jewish people you speak of if you are talking about the historical people. When we talk Arabs, that can be people that just adopted the culture. Most of the people you see in palestine are Canaanites which israelites spun off of anyways.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's not that hard on a forum for people to qualify a bit more what and who they mean so that they don't happen to be writing the same thing as nazis, even though their respective intents are opposite.

I'm not 100% comfortable with seeing it thrown around as an insult or a slur tbh

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
An ethnostate has the explicit goal of maintaining a certain demographic makeup of its populace. In this case, ensuring that people of Jewish ethnicity remain a demographic majority. An ethnostate is still a nation-state as well, but not all nation-states are ethnostates.

While it is true that many nation-states are de-facto ethnostates due to the natural makeup of their demographics, if the government does not have the goal of maintaining that demography via policies (like apartheid or ethnic cleansing), then I wouldn't necessarily refer to them as such.

In the US, for example, we are approaching a shift in demographics to where white people will no longer be an outright majority. And while the Republicans would love to turn the US into an ethnostate to ensure a white majority, we currently are not. Because maintaining a white majority is not currently a goal explicitly pursued by the government. The nation-state of the USA will continue regardless of the changing demographic makeup. This is not to downplay the many issues in the US (such as the targeting of voting rights in ways that disproportionately affect non-whites), just drawing a contrast to the structure and explicit policy goals.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
So is the issue primarily using "Zionist" without qualifications?
Yes. Zionism is, to many but not all Jewish people, essentially the national movement component of their Jewish identity, that signify their national relationship to the land of Israel and Zion. Using "Zionist" without qualification, basically bundles all Jewish people who care about their national identify or their connection to the land of Israel with the most extremists of people who hold this ideology.

I mean, I'm sorry but point remains. Essentially it means there is only 10% of the population who does not support the violent slaughter of Palestinian.

You do not get to make your own definition of leftism, even if it's "center-left" and then throw in that you're pro IDF. And calling it "unserious", and painting the narrative like we're gonna ignore everything prior to October7th as if the IDF wasn't a monstrously violent organization before then. Or how saying it's a "war" and not what it really is: an ethnic cleansing

Support of the IDF is supporting genocide. I will not concede on that and I do not care about how ever people want to paint it to seem like it's less bloody than it is.
I do not make up my definitions, I'm explaining the inside politics of Israel, where 35% of people will generally support long-term peace and agree to land and other concessions, but will still support violence or other problematic policies "temporarily" if they believe it will grant security. Just like most of the center-left in any country will maybe support some measures to reduce police violence but will generally not support "defunding" the police, and will even support the police in many circumstances, despite identifying themselves as "center-left".
These people are the "center left" of Israel. You can think they are disgusting and monstrous and not left and whatever you want - I honestly don't care? But if you want to discuss how many people would support a change in Israeli policy or an end to the occupation in general, it's important to consider these people and not just the 10% of harder left.
And "just" 10%? I don't know man, how many people in America support land-back initiative to natives...? Or are for defunding the police? I'm not saying the left in Israel is especially big (god knows it's not big enough and it's shrinking) but it's far from being non-existent.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Really tackling the important issues here, western liberals. I'm sure we can brainstorm another term identifying the proponents of a genocidal settler colonial ideology that is sure to offend no one, least of all any advocates of that ideology making scurrilous accusations of antisemitism, while still maintaining firm opposition to the apartheid state.

Heeeeeey wait a goshdarn minute this whole thread about that is filled with apologetics for the apartheid state! Now I wonder why people so concerned about the optics of the term "zionist" are also posting about the hopelessness of the Palestinian cause of liberation and casting the domination of the apartheid regime as inevitable or immutable!
See this is an example of what I said here:

Imo the left has had issues with antisemitism before October 7th, either being outright antisemites or seeing it as a lesser form of bigotry.
It's downplayed, brushed away or excused, not seen as a big deal.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I caught that edit... all the Jewish people and the Jewish allies in power in the world right now, huh 😒 Literally proved this thread's point.
It is not "globalist conspiracy mongering" to accurately assess that, at the moment, the people most invested in the "Right wing, expansionist Zionist project" are either Jewish or consider themselves "Allies of the Jewish people" in a way that conflates Jewishness with right-wing expansionist Zionism,. I edited my language for clarity and specificity, but I am not alleging some vast, rich conspiracy of puppet masters, and frankly if your insinuation is that all Jews are Zionists (no qualifications) or that Zionism, expansionist or otherwise, cannot be criticized because it amounts to an attack on all Jews worldwide then I don't think we're having this conversation in good faith.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the thread, OP. It's been bothering me with how people have been using the term.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
I never encountered the word outside of racist contexts before this latest conflict started, and even now I only ever see it specifically on Era. (not really a Twitter native so probably missing a lot of discourse)

And while generally folks on Era have adopted it to mean "anti-Palestine", I've seen more than a few uses on this site that felt less critical of Israeli government policy and more just felt like a slur. I've noticed the mods have had to action stuff that has been very close to "jews control hollywood" and other antisemetic slurs as well, which weren't racist conspiracy theories I ever expected to read here.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
As a Jew, I have to respectfully disagree with you. I do think the word can be a dog whistle but for the most part it is short hand for supporters of the state of Israel. Herzl wanted a Jewish state, sure, but he didn't care where. He even suggested Africa at one point. There were people living in Palestine before 1948 and just because the Bible, a book a large amount of people don't even believe in, says it belongs to us does not make it so.

This

Also, it is the political entity of Israel that has spend decades propagandizing Israeli identity as the same as Jewishness as the same as Zionism. It's the Israeli apparatus that says people can't be Jewish if they criticize Israel.

Al-Dylan

Nov 16, 2022

Yeah, sounds like the usual "every critic of Israel is actually antisemitism".

falastini

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The actual definition of Zionism is the belief that Jews have a right to self-determination in their ancestral land, Israel.

Zionism is an ideology that encompasses many different viewpoints. For some, it's an excuse to commit settler colonialism and abuse the Palestinians and other people living there. There are also Zionists who oppose the settlements and believe in equal rights for everyone there. That does not stop either party from defining themselves as Zionists, because fundamentally, it fits the agreed definition of Zionism.

Even nutjobs like the Neturei Karta (nutjobs for different reasons unrelated to Israel) who are strongly anti-Israel, are still zionist, even if the media paints them otherwise. They just believe Israel shouldn't exist until the Messiah arrives.

The ideology of Zionism has always been tied to Judaism since the biblical story of Moses. I'm sure this will be familiar to any Jew out there who's celebrated the Passover holiday, but the phrase uttered at the end of the seder "Next year in Jerusalem" has been uttered for thousands of years for a reason.

I disagree with your definition.

The Zionist movement that emerged in the early 19 century was a secular, nationalistic movement. It wasn't tied to religion or even the land of Israel. Israel only became the goal once the opportunity presented itself.

A more apt definition would be a movement to advance the goals of securing a nation for Jewish people. There's nothing wrong with that statement. The problem with that of course is the Jewish population was spread across the world and the only way to achieve that goal was to colonize. This was explicitly stated by the founding fathers of modern zionism. It was a colonial project. There's no way to argue around that.

So when most people identify as anti-Zionist, this is what they're referring to. Not the extermination of Jewish people or even Israel... but the ethnostate built on top of an indigenous population that can only keep that ethnic superiority through a history of apartheid, ethnic cleansing, and genocide.

There are plenty of self-identifying anti-Zionist jews as well. I don't think you can discount it because of some opportunistic bad actors.

I think it's best to just call people that support the way Israel treats Palestinians as islamophobes because it's not just some Jewish people that support the subjugation of Palestinians. I'd argue that the biggest supporters are white evangelicals, neocons, a large amount of Americans are very Islamophobic in general and I don't think Israel's right to exist is even on most of their minds. They just cheer dead arabs because they think they are all terrorists.

When you say Zionist you instantly open yourself up to being called antisemitic and you're very legitimate arguments about oppression and war crimes get lost in the weeds. It ain't worth and again doesn't really cover the real source of support for Israel by the west which is as an extension of western power in the region.

I don't like islamophobia. I'm sure that's part of it, but it discounts the Palestinian Christians. Hell, Israel blew up some of the oldest churches on this earth and nobody batted an eye. It's more a middle-eastern, west vs east bias.

You do not have to be jewish to be a zionist
This as well. There are more Christian Zionists then Jewish.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
I'm really glad this thread exists, and appreciate the responses. I'm not Jewish but my wife is (not an Israeli). The last few months have been eye opening, and not in a good way.

I feel like the word Zionist has become nothing more than a buzzword that in most cases isn't used correctly. The definition on the first page is accurate, but I know many who claim to hate Zionists but wouldn't recognise that definition.

Like many liberal Jews, my wife despises Netanyahu and people like Ben Gvir. Unfortunately I have noticed that people in our generally left-leaning circles think that Zionism basically means supporting the beliefs of someone like Gvir or other members of the religious right.

A close friend recently attended a Pro-Pal rally with a very anti-zionist placard and only realised afterwards why it so offensive.

Bramblebutt

Jan 11, 2018
User banned (3 months): concern trolling around antisemitism over a series of posts
See this is an example of what I said here:

It's downplayed, brushed away or excused, not seen as a big deal.
No really I'm sure there's another term we could use besides the present and historical one that advocates for the state of Israel have and continue to use to describe themselves and their cause of the establishment and defense of a religio-ethnic apartheid state

What about "Baddudes" because they're bad
or "Wrongers" because their cause is wrong

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
So we should erase the existence of non-Muslim Palestinians because criticism of Zionism is politically inconvenient or makes people uncomfortable?

I don't think it's helpful to conflate all Palestinians with Islam. It just makes the Othering of them easier.

Wow the most uncharitable response ever lol. Wiki has the Muslim population at 99%... are you saying it's wrong? I'm not conflating. A country where 99% are Muslim is being obliterated. People that support that obliteration are Islamophobic first and foremost. I think the amount of people that support it that are "zionists" are a minority. You see it on socials. Not here but on larger ones like Reddit. They don't care about Israel they just want to get the terrorists and love the warmongering.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
User threadbanned: sniping at other members
antizionism is not antisemitism and myself and my network of pro palestine folk have made it pretty clear it's a criticism of the israeli state and its colonialist ambitions. i'd ask people be more specific in how they feel it is being used as a slur by leftists

it's also not lost on me that a lot of the support in this thread is from posters who have either gotten banned from the conflict thread or will only occasionally show up when some israeli propaganda comes out (and never follow up when it gets disproved time and time again)

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
antizionism is not antisemitism and myself and my network of pro palestine folk have made it pretty clear it's a criticism of the israeli state and its colonialist ambitions. i'd ask people be more specific in how they feel it is being used as a slur by leftists
Anti-zionism is not antisemitism, but it has become noticeably more common over the past year to use "zionist" as an antisemitic dog-whistle, a stand-in for "jews." Same as (((globalists))) and shit like that was for most of the past decade. Noticed it both online and IRL. And yes, that co-exists with Israel's propaganda bullshit labeling any criticism of Israel or Zionism as antisemitic (which is bullshit).

It's definitely not just a "leftist" thing, antisemitism runs the political gamut.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
No really I'm sure there's another term we could use besides the present and historical one that advocates for the state of Israel have and continue to use to describe themselves and their cause of the establishment and defense of a religio-ethnic apartheid state

What about "Baddudes" because they're bad
or "Wrongers" because their cause is wrong
You don't need a term, criticise Israel and their actions directly, criticise the people who support those actions directly. The concern is not inherently the meaning of the term (I'm not saying being anti-Zionist is inherently antisemitic) but that it's been used and increasingly so as a dog whist. And the concern about that is being brushed away by people that would not tolerate other dog whistles.

Last edited:

Cockmagic

Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 week): trolling, didn't read the OP
Huh. I hate how thousands of innocent civilians have been slaughtered willy nilly in recent months but this is what draws your ire? Criticizing Zionism has its place if it's being used as an excuse for genocide.

Gazele

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Palestinian folks are the ethnic jewish people you speak of if you are talking about the historical people. When we talk Arabs, that can be people that just adopted the culture. Most of the people you see in palestine are Canaanites which israelites spun off of anyways.

Yeah, this is super anti-semitic

It's been proven over and over, even through genetics, that many of the historical Jewish people left Israel and formed the diaspora

EDIT: On topic, as a Jewish person, I'm ok with people using zionist to reference people who are "nationalistic" about Israel, specifically it needing to be a Jewish state with no/fewer rights for Muslims and other religions

Yeah, this is super anti-semitic

It's been proven over and over, even through genetics, that many of the historical Jewish people left Israel and formed the diaspora
I never said that didn't happen, what are you talking about
edit: the point was to dispell palestine as some jew-less place pre settler nation regardless of if we talking actual religion or ethnicity. Even if someone is muslim, ethnically that's still the same people.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. I hate how thousands of innocent civilians have been slaughtered willy nilly in recent months but this is what draws your ire? Criticizing Zionism has its place if it's being used as an excuse for genocide.

It is possible to think of more than one thing at once. Equally, the horrific actions of the Israeli government did not cause all anti-Semitism to suddenly vanish from the earth.

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
Zionists Allies of Palestine...I swear I don't even know what's going on anymore. After Rafah was just fucking bomb. Now imagine if we replace Palestine with Jew and zionists with something else.

Britain and the US (two notoriously anti semetic nations, the former had jews living in purgatory for CENTURIES ) established that settler ethno state. Anybody regardless of intentions trying to mark that as a jewish thing needs to be real.
For real people here are trying their hardest to ignore 75+ years of history.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Years ago I would have called myself an antizionist, but as time goes on I see it less and less possible for someone to humanely take that up.

In general, the Jewish people deserve a homeland - they're a group of people with a shared ethnic and cultural background, and they have a right to self-governance and self-determination same as any other. While I'd love for every state in the world to be an egalitarian democracy free of oppression and discrimination, that's simply not the world we live in, and in the meantime a nation-state is the only way to guarantee those rights, particularly for historically marginalized peoples.

In specifics, the state of Israel exists - there are Israelis there that have been there for generations, that could not be at home anywhere else, and that weren't involved in the colonial escapades that brought the nation into existence. You can't simply ship them off somewhere else - imagine millions of Israeli refugees in Europe, or America, or other parts of the Middle East? Advocating against the state of Israel, as a concept, is either ideological fantasy or simply advocating genocide.

If I could go back in time a hundred years and wave a magic wand, would I have established a Jewish homeland in the land of Palestine? Probably not - it clearly hasn't worked out well. But I struggle to think of any alternative that wouldn't have resulted in SOMEONE being oppressed, attacked, and marginalized. It's a geopolitical situation that is legitimately intractable, and anyone telling you there's a simple solution is either an idiot or an ideologue.

Funkelpop

Sep 2, 2022
Considering there are anti-Zionist Jews, I wouldn't see it that way. Zionists is a term used because it's to describe anyone who is supporting the atrocities of Israel. They want to make a distinction from Jewish people who are Pro-Palestinian and not lump them all together.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Wow the most uncharitable response ever lol. Wiki has the Muslim population at 99%... are you saying it's wrong? I'm not conflating. A country where 99% are Muslim is being obliterated. People that support that obliteration are Islamophobic first and foremost. I think the amount of people that support it that are "zionists" are a minority. You see it on socials. Not here but on larger ones like Reddit. They don't care about Israel they just want to get the terrorists and love the warmongering.

I don't think that's true at all. This isn't a conflict rooted in Islamophobia. Palestine historically had a much larger Christian minority. The PLO is a secular organization. There is a history to Palestine that predates Hamas and using Islamophobia here just further reduces things into "Jews VS Muslims". I think that's misguided.

How we talk about Israel/Palestine should not be determined by American ignorance.

Last edited:

Gazele

Oct 25, 2017
I never said that didn't happen, what are you talking about
edit: the point was to dispell palestine as some jewish place pre settler nation regardless of if we talking actual religion or ethnicity. Even if someone is muslim, ethnically that's still the same people.

I will freely admit to being wrong if this was not your intention, but when you say "Yes, Palestinian folks are the ethnic jewish people you speak of if you are talking about the historical people." It implies that Jewish Americans and Europeans are not ethnically Jewish, which has been used by many groups to promote anti-semitism

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Considering there are anti-Zionist Jews, I wouldn't see it that way. Zionists is a term used because it's to describe anyone who is supporting the atrocities of Israel. They want to make a distinction from Jewish people who are Pro-Palestinian and not lump them all together.

But that's not what Zionist means. It's been twisted to mean that, especially in online discourse. There are people who believe Israel has a right to exist and also believe that Israel's actions against Palestinians are evil. And those people are Zionists too.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
I disagree with your definition.

The Zionist movement that emerged in the early 19 century was a secular, nationalistic movement. It wasn't tied to religion or even the land of Israel. Israel only became the goal once the opportunity presented itself.

A more apt definition would be a movement to advance the goals of securing a nation for Jewish people. There's nothing wrong with that statement. The problem with that of course is the Jewish population was spread across the world and the only way to achieve that goal was to colonize. This was explicitly stated by the founding fathers of modern zionism. It was a colonial project. There's no way to argue around that.

So when most people identify as anti-Zionist, this is what they're referring to. Not the extermination of Jewish people or even Israel... but the ethnostate built on top of an indigenous population that can only keep that ethnic superiority through a history of apartheid, ethnic cleansing, and genocide.

There are plenty of self-identifying anti-Zionist jews as well. I don't think you can discount it because of some opportunistic bad actors.
That's a good way of putting it and also somewhat where I'm at as well, at the very least for what Zionism stands for today.

I would absolutely be for the version that jakomocha linked. But I feel it has long been a fleeting dream, and what seems to be pushed as Zionism today (especially with the backing of western states) seems like one where, regardless of pacifist intentions, the condition sine qua non is that all the decision power remains within Israel. And I simply do not see how you reconcile that and the historical precedence but also say you are pro Palestinian autonomy and just hope for the best

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
But that's not what Zionist means. It's been twisted to mean that, especially in online discourse. There are people who believe Israel has a right to exist and also believe that Israel's actions against Palestinians are evil. And those people are Zionists too.

Exactly.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, this is something I'm really uncomfortable with. Especially when you look at the polling and see that a significant majority of Jewish people would describe themselves as Zionists even as they bitterly oppose Israel's government and Netenyahu, and the current military conflict.

It's also a totally unnecessary word. We don't have any equivalent word for any other nation state or group of people. It is absolutely used by people as a short-hand for Jew, and who think they are being clever doing so.

Just say supports of the Israeli government. Like we would do for literally every other country on earth.
Yep.

GoodGrief

Jan 24, 2024
Having lived my entire life seeing the word "Zionist" exclusively used as a dog-whistle or an outright slur, it's been quite the shock to see it suddenly thrown around so freely, sometimes correctly but oftentimes not. It's made it really hard to discern whether people are arguing in good faith or just antisemites.

Status
Not open for further replies.