Status
Not open for further replies.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
nothing like losing 60k+ plus runes in Elden Ring trying to reach a part where, you only get arteria leaf.

or a smithing stone that you can totally buy

also fuck big enemies in this game, they hit like a truck, have a lot of hp, give very little runes in comparison with the time it takes to kill them and drop SHIT

i will take that breakable ice word instead thank you very much

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
here
man not only did you make YET ANOTHER FUCKING elden ring thread when you could just post IN THE GODDAMN OT

you posted it on the wrong side of era

a trophy for you

small-goldtone-trophies-24-pc-~39_804-g-a01.jpg

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah this could have gone in the OT. We don't need threads for every persons frustrated experience.
I lost 200,000 runes and didn't make a thread about it. I'm at a point I can farm 60,000 in 12 seconds now so I don't really care though.

OP
OP
Gustaf

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this could have gone in the OT. We don't need threads for every persons frustrated experience.
I lost 200,000 runes and didn't make a thread about it. I'm at a point I can farm 60,000 in 12 seconds now so I don't really care though.

good for you,

i think that a general topic about reward on open world games is ok to have, you dont have to limit this topic to Elden Ring, you know?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I don't mind the rewards in ER. Nothing pisses me off like going through a 20-minute shrine puzzle in BotW only to get a ruby or a duplicate of a fire greatsword I have four of already.

Fat4all

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
here
runes burning a hole in your pocket?

buy some boiled crabs

tasty

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Oh man, not 3 minutes of runes. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely too many random worthless rune rewards for exploration in the game, and the game already has weird issues with how convoluted and breakable some of its' quests are. People should not have to read hours worth of guides before they make a move in the story or side quest. People are so scared of "messing up" their playthrough now, they won't do a thing without touching a guide first. Blind playthroughs should be rewarding, but in this game, it's more punishing as far as properly following a quest goes. This is the fear that this game puts into players, and honestly, it isn't fun, as the game is always auto saving too, so you're screwed. It doesn't help but some of the quests feel really pointless too.

A good example of this is Rogier's quest. If you reach Ranni's Rise in Three Sisters and speak to her, the progress on his quest just stops, which means you can't give him the black knife print that took forever to get to. Say goodbye to your 100+ hour completionist playthrough because one mistake. At no point in the game are you warned or hinted this is going to happen, and it's not even like it's some big major plot thing either, it's just a typical FromSoftware thing to do as far as quest progression in this game.

I say this as a FromSoftware loyalist since Demon's Souls, I think a lot of these quests feel rushed. I absolutely love the game otherwise, but there's a lot of laziness with most of the dungeons looking like carbon copies of all the other ones, as well as tons of recycled bosses.

Fat4all

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
here
A good example of this is Rogier's quest. If you reach Ranni's Rise in Three Sisters and speak to her, the progress on his quest just stops, which means you can't give him the black knife print that took forever to get to. Say goodbye to your 100+ hour completionist playthrough because one mistake. At no point in the game are you warned or hinted this is going to happen, and it's not even like it's some big major plot thing either, it's just a typical FromSoftware thing to do as far as quest progression in this game.
as long as you've been hugging the hugging lady, she should tell you about rogiers quest well before you have a chance to get to rannis rise

she even give you a map of where to find the black knife

OP
OP
Gustaf

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Definitely too many random worthless rune rewards for exploration in the game, and the game already has weird issues with how convoluted and breakable some of its' quests are. People should not have to read hours worth of guides before they make a move in the story or side quest. People are so scared of "messing up" their playthrough now, they won't do a thing without touching a guide first. Blind playthroughs should be rewarding, but in this game, it's more punishing as far as properly following a quest goes. This is the fear that this game puts into players, and honestly, it isn't fun, as the game is always auto saving too, so you're screwed.

I say this as a FromSoftware loyalist since Demon's Souls, I think a lot of these quests feel rushed. I absolutely love the game otherwise, but there's a lot of laziness with most of the dungeons looking like carbon copies of all the other ones, as well as tons of recycled bosses.

what is worse is that they use that IMPORTANT THING GLOWING HERE.

for random worthless stuff.

why does a nascent butterfly glows with that blue tint i will never know

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
my brother in christ, you chose not to spend your runes

hope this helps
There are times you end up dying a lot near a Stake of Marika where you can't spend your runes without redoing the preceding section, so you find yourself building up a hoard. I do like the Stakes to ensure you have a respawn near the open world bosses that could surprise you, but there are some that should definitely be Graces IMO (and/or they should all let you buy levels/teleport to and from the table).

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
as long as you've been hugging the hugging lady, she should tell you about rogiers quest well before you have a chance to get to rannis rise

she even give you a map of where to find the black knife
Fia gives you the map to the catacombs, but then the game punishes the player for being curious about reaching Ranni's Rise before doing that catacomb and giving the knife print to Rogier. That was the whole point I was trying to make. If you don't do that catacomb first and give it to Rogier, Ranni's Rise breaks his quest. Fia and Rogier don't even mention Ranni before that happens.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely too many random worthless rune rewards for exploration in the game, and the game already has weird issues with how convoluted and breakable some of its' quests are. People should not have to read hours worth of guides before they make a move in the story or side quest. People are so scared of "messing up" their playthrough now, they won't do a thing without touching a guide first. Blind playthroughs should be rewarding, but in this game, it's more punishing as far as properly following a quest goes. This is the fear that this game puts into players, and honestly, it isn't fun, as the game is always auto saving too, so you're screwed.

As someone who seems to have skipped sections of certain story quests, misplaced NPCs and done many things out of the most efficient sequence, I'm actually finding it somewhat refreshing not having a bubble around my character where everything happens, then as soon as an NPC leaves that bubble they're stuck, frozen in time until I approach again. The world keeps moving as I go about my business.

I also don't know why someone would approach this game for a 100+hour completionist playthrough as their blind playthrough.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who seems to have skipped sections of certain story quests, misplaced NPCs and done many things out of the most efficient sequence, I'm actually finding it somewhat refreshing not having a bubble around my character where everything happens, then as soon as an NPC leaves that bubble they're stuck, frozen in time until I approach again. The world keeps moving as I go about my business.

I also don't know why someone would approach this game for a 100+hour completionist playthrough as their blind playthrough.
Yeah it's not so much about there being a bubble where time stops for you, as much as the game offering zero explanation as to why Rogier's fate was decided by wandering into Ranni's Rise, and other weird things like that which seem to have been overlooked and leaving the player with more questions than anything else, because god forbid you didn't use Fextralife.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely too many random worthless rune rewards for exploration in the game, and the game already has weird issues with how convoluted and breakable some of its' quests are. People should not have to read hours worth of guides before they make a move in the story or side quest. People are so scared of "messing up" their playthrough now, they won't do a thing without touching a guide first. Blind playthroughs should be rewarding, but in this game, it's more punishing as far as properly following a quest goes. This is the fear that this game puts into players, and honestly, it isn't fun, as the game is always auto saving too, so you're screwed. It doesn't help but some of the quests feel really pointless too.
You should never approach the first playthrough of these with any sort of FOMO mindset. It's ok to miss things. It's ok to not see character quests finished. Etc.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what is worse is that they use that IMPORTANT THING GLOWING HERE.

for random worthless stuff.

why does a nascent butterfly glows with that blue tint i will never know
"Ohhh let's see if I can find a top secret hidden path to that bright glowing thing on that balcony across the map over there"

(hours pass by)

"Ok I think this is it! That path from earlier! I died endlessly, this item is going to be good! It's… runes"

It's already really easy to get tons of runes from enemies, so it's not like having this many rune locations is doing worthwhile. This is probably one of my least favorite things about FromSoftware making this game open world. They probably felt pressured to have lots of reachable loot that can be seen from a distance all over the maps, and in most cases, it's enemies guarding runes, or finding some ridiculously hidden shortcut that leads to runes.

Gorger

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I recently played BOTW for the first time right before Elden Ring, and after completing the four divine beasts and putting nearly 60-70h of playtime in I am so bored of the game I am struggling to get back to the game to finish it up (assuming I am at the end of the game).

I found the dungeons really dull compared to previous Zelda games. Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and A Link to a Past are some of my favorite games of all time, but I feel like a lot of the Zelda magic I've always personally enjoyed has has been lost in BOTW. I ended up just going on a tedious grind collecting seeds and doing temples ad nauseam that all just started to blend together and look samey after a few dozen hours.

My favorite part of BOTW so far was probably in Gerudo Valley since the story felt more focused there with sneaking into the city, riding sand lions, meeting the princess and doing stealth missions. But the lack of dungeons, the inclusion of unique equipment you get for completing the dungeons and the metroidvania-style world exploration I am really missing.

Also the weapon durability I did not like at all, I get their intent of having us try a lot of different weapons, but constantly have to switch after one pull of enemies gives you literally no satisfaction at all when you receive new weapons. In previous Zelda you felt nothing but excitement when doing a dungeon and unlocking the bow, the bombs the hookshot and other cool unique arsenal you just knew would open a myriad of new secrets to explore all over the world.

That's my honest opinions of BOTW after playing it recently, but elden ring I've probably put in 60-70 hours in already. I am level 111 and already consider it one of my favorite games of all time. I have had nothing but pure joy exploring this world, which is just filled to the brim with secrets and optional dungeons with so much content I am getting borderline overwhelmed. Just completing side quests can lead you to massive new locations that just makes the world feel massive. So I am in the complete opposite camp having played both games very close to each other I massively prefer Elden Ring, and I hope BOTW 2 will take a step back in adding more traditional Zelda gameplay.

Oct 27, 2017
Sure finding worthless crafting mats that are for some reason purple is a drag, but otherwise I've thought many times that the rewards in Elden Ring are so much better than BotW. Aside from armor and orbs or whatever they're called everything in BotW is disposable and fairly generic. There's only a handful of different weapon types and each archetype doesn't have meaningful variation within it. In Elden Ring you can come across any number of meaningful items, be it weapons, ashes, summons, etc many of which have unique abilities. The difficulty of the game also further encourages players to take advantage of the different tools at their disposal, be it exploiting enemies weaknesses or mitigating your own.

OP
OP
Gustaf

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sure finding worthless crafting mats that are for some reason purple is a drag, but otherwise I've thought many times that the rewards in Elden Ring are so much better than BotW. Aside from armor and orbs or whatever they're called everything in BotW is disposable and fairly generic. There's only a handful of different weapon types and each archetype doesn't have meaningful variation within it. In Elden Ring you can come across any number of meaningful items, be it weapons, ashes, summons, etc many of which have unique abilities. The difficulty of the game also further encourages players to take advantage of the different tools at their disposal, be it exploiting enemies weaknesses or mitigating your own.

yeah i think more than anything my grip is with purple glows and chest having crafting material.

and some good things being normal yellow glow. it's weird lol

Status
Not open for further replies.