truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So I'm at the part where the Dojima family is chasing Kiryu down in Kamurocho and this thing is a fucking slog. I don't really think the combat in Yakuza is that great...serviceable I guess, but when you start getting in the 3+ or more on one fights it just gets really cheap and I try to actively avoid fights whenever I can. I really don't want to replay this mission at all, it killed my desire to go back to the game. Assuming the combat only gets worse as the game goes on, and the rest of the series is full of these cheap fights, I may just move on to something else.
Maybe there is some trick to it i'm missing, but even then I don't think i'll really enjoy fighting in this game at all.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It gets a bit more fun when you unlock more moves and abilities, but yeah, the gameplay can be a bit boring.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Yakuza has never been about the combat, it's about the story and the mini-games. The combat is just a 3D version of those old 2D brawler beat 'em ups from the 90's.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza most be one of the easiest action games ever, at least 90% can be won by mashing square. And in the rare ocassion you can win by using healing items

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza Zero is the only one that I think has good as opposed to simply passable combat mechanics, so uh, I dunno man.

Do you have beast style yet? Helps when you fight multiple dudes.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Yakuza has never been about the combat, it's about the story and the mini-games. The combat is just a 3D version of those old 2D brawler beat 'em ups from the 90's.

Nah it's cool, and I like progressing and becoming better in the game. You can do some fun stuff if you try to diversify your playstyle over just hitting square until you win.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And I definitely think the combat gets better as it goes along rather than worse. Your characters receive fairly substantial upgrades through their upgrade trees.

Get equipment as well, if you have ignored it.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I loved the combat, particularly Kiryu's Beast style, and Majima's Thug and Slugger styles.

You may need to buy more upgrades, and use heat actions more often. They really are quite satisfying. Yakuza 0's economy is one of decadence and excess, so also be sure to blow loads on a health and heat restorer called Staminan Royale. Just straight stock the fuck up on 'em, you can most certainly afford to do so. It's found at the drug stores in both Kamurocho and Sotenbori.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Dodge and circle around enemies with rush style, and don't be conservative with heat moves. I forget if the tiger drop is in zero, but the rule of thumb is to get it as soon as possible in every game.

As someone that loves beat 'em ups like Streets of Rage, Guardian Heroes, Chronicles of Mystara, and so on, I feel right at home with Yakuza's combat.

Kumubou

Oct 25, 2017
You don't happen to have the Charismatic Biography equipped, do you?

It's not obvious, but that item causes enemies to be hyper-aggressive, making fights against large groups of enemies a giant pain in the ass. It also turns out that when people complain about fights being super annoying in this game... they usually have that equipped. :x

Or you can just use the Beast style and just cheese the hell out of everything with how much armor and power item attacks have in that style.

SpartanForce

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Strange. I think the combat is superb. Even the old Yakuza 2 combat it suits me. But, I don't play other fighting games. So maybe I'm bias. You may like the Yakuza 5 combat, tho. It's more balanced and you can do awesome shit like this:

Culgan

Oct 27, 2017
Really? Always found the battles in all the Yakuza games pretty satisfying. One of the few games where I don't get too annoyed by random battles.

Definitely better once you unlock more upgrades but yeah, can't agree.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno OP, 0 is one of the games in the series that gives you such effective tools to fight in the form of its different styles and its respective skills that it's usually advised to play it on hard because of how trivial most fights get. You should be dodging all over the place with Rush or destroying everyone with Beast in those situations.

I think the combat in these games is great, but subjectivity aside, 0's is the best, so if its combat doesn't click with you eventually I'd suggest you ignore the rest of the series.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Kiryu's fighting styles are much worse than Majima's. I can still barely use Rush or the strong cave man form (forgot the name) to this day.

Deleted member 5015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's ok. Nothing to write home about, but ok. The "supers" are cool though. Later in the game, encounters become a little too frequent in my opinion. Coworker of mine dropped the game because of the battle system. That's an overreation though.

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

It's not obvious, but that item causes enemies to be hyper-aggressive, making fights against large groups of enemies a giant pain in the ass. It also turns out that when people complain about fights being super annoying in this game... they usually have that equipped. :x

Or you can just use the Beast style and just cheese the hell out of everything with how much armor and power item attacks have in that style.
Quoting this so it doesn't get overlooked. The charismatic autobiography is an item that turns the game into super duper hard mode, where enemies will relentlessly gang up on you from all sides. Make sure to check if you have it equipped.

Nyx

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Utrecht, The Netherlands
I'm in the same boat, but then in Kiwami.

The part at the funeral quite in the beginning, where you fight waves of enemies and 2-3 (mini-)bosses was really a slog to get through. I did 2 days ago though and now have access to the city and all kinds of minigames, so the game will keep me occupied but I do fear another bunch of those missions.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The combat is serviceable for me, it's just there.

There are variations to combat but ultimately they don't really matter. The combat and encounters are still repetitive.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Could you share a clip of your gameplay with us OP? Perhaps we can identify something that is making the game harder on you, as I don't particularly ever remember having issues with the combat and enjoyed it more and more as I unlocked abilities in the different fighting styles.

Majima is more fun to fight as against groups though, for sure.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Upgrading certainly helps loads. You've got tons of moves at your disposal once they are unlocked, though the basics of the game (any of the series) is to dodge loads. I'm not a fan of blocking, dodging is more mobile and opens enemies up to counter attacks.
Kiryu has a huge advantage in his arsenal in that he has Rush style - a super fast fighting style that lets you dodge/sway really quickly. So use this to get some space/position yourself favourably against enemies. Kiryu also has Beast style, a slow style but is insanely powerful against groups of enemies. For example, you could use the Rush style to move yourself quickly around enemies and find a large weapon to pick up (a bike, a sign, a power generator, a motor cycle - anything really) then switch to Beast mode and press square to start your combo. When near a weapon in Beast mode and you start attacking you pick up said weapon automatically and go into a combo. These combo's will hit multiple people for huge damage, build heat up quick and Beast mode also gives pretty good super armour so you might take damage but you shouldn't stagger. Now with your heat gauge you can unleash any number of heat moves at your disposal.

Doing this should make most fights really simple, its really only bosses that should pose a challenge, I tend to love the combat as I can unlock loads of counters and other heat moves and just mix things up as much as possible since I find the AI really easy myself. I actually wish the games were harder. Then again I've been playing the games for 11+ years now so I'm well used to the combat by now!

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
I'm in the same boat, but then in Kiwami.

The part at the funeral quite in the beginning, where you fight waves of enemies and 2-3 (mini-)bosses was really a slog to get through. I did 2 days ago though and now have access to the city and all kinds of minigames, so the game will keep me occupied but I do fear another bunch of those missions.
Yes. I think Kiwami's combat was a lot worse than 0 when it comes to balance and how enjoyable it is (despite using the same engine with mostly the same combat).

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
You do have a inventory full of health items right? Money is so easy to get that you should always stock up on Stamina Royales. Also, as another said, make sure you don't have the Charismatic Biography equipped, it's fucked over many people as it's pretty much super hard mode when you put it on. If you don't have it on, should probably move on, there's much bigger fights.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
So you got your ass handed by a group of grunts? Yeah, if you can't handle the early mobs then you're doing it wrong. Have you tried switching stance to Beast style and use environment? That's how you deal with them.

OP
OP
truly101

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Quoting this so it doesn't get overlooked. The charismatic autobiography is an item that turns the game into super duper hard mode, where enemies will relentlessly gang up on you from all sides. Make sure to check if you have it equipped.
I'll need to check that to see if I do. I usually use rush style because thats the only one that seems to have an effective dodge. Beast style is really slow unless you are near some objects to pick up and swing around but Kiryu often gets punched before he gets off a big swing or punch. The default brawler style seems useless. I should mention that I have most of this trouble with Kiryu. Majima doesn't seem to have as much of a problem with slugger style and I don't think his story has progressed far enough to where the everyday mooks are dangerous enough to pose a threat.
I was able to get through the section this morning using a couple of weapons and the second fight with Kuze was a joke, because its 1 on 1. I love the game otherwise but sometimes the combat just gets in the way.
EDIT: I should add that my problem with the heat super moves is that the prompt to use them appear and disappear so fast. When I need to use them most to cut down on the amount of enemies is the hardest time for me to trigger them.

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Brawler is actually quite useful. The fact that you don't have this issue with Majima makes it all the more likely that this is the Charismatic Autobiography at work, because you're much more likely to get it as Kiryu than Majima.

JarlRaven

Nov 8, 2017
When I played through it Majima's slugger style seemed downright broken. There were definitely some frustrating fights where I was seemingly going down every other second from mobs of guys with firearms and tasers though so I'm with you OP it can definitely be a grievance.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
For all the talk of how bad the "Batman" style of combat apparently is, I found it puzzling that nobody ever brought up the mediocre combat in Yakuza...until now.

You spend more time fighting then anything else, so it does get a bit tiresome.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017

I ran into this same problem. Check your equipment OP.

And yeah, Beast style is what I used most of the time. I played on hard mode and found the game pretty easy. The heat action you can use when grabbing an enemy while surrounded in beast style helps a lot, as does its ability to pick people up off the ground.

I enjoyed the combat and never got tired of it in 0, but Kiwami has some really frustrating parts. At least until you get the Tiger Drop and wreck everybody with it.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I think Kiwami's combat was a lot worse than 0 when it comes to balance and how enjoyable it is (despite using the same engine with mostly the same combat).

Other than using the finishers to stop the regenerating health of bosses i don't see what makes it worse and the few added moves don't make it bad either. I am one of those guys who enjoyed fighting Majima everywhere till his encounters were exhausted for the chapter but i can see people getting bored of the same combat on the other hand.
Zero's combat has a lot of depth and it takes some upgrades and knowing to use different attack strings to get into the groove others can certainly go into more in-depth than me.
Other than that yeah, do not equip items that make enemies more aggressive like others mentioned above. It makes those guys annoying even once you're strong enough to one shot those guys.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The combat isn't challenging but you should be varying up your moves, building up your heat gauge, and using heat moves. That makes it much more fun

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
OP I remembered that section of the game and it did annoy me. Honestly the combat in Yakuza can get annoying (sometimes stale) but you can still get through it to get to the next section if you just keep doing the same thing enough times

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Yakuza's combat has never been good. It's just button mashing with a few alternate things.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
My biggest problem with the combat is how brain dead easy it is even on hard difficulty, still fun but I mainly play for the story.

Oct 29, 2017
I've been trying to get in this game for ages too. But it keeps being such a slog. Can't walk ten meters through Kamarucho before another gang wants to get beaten up by me. And if it was compelling then it would be something else, but it's mostly just wasting your time.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
For all the talk of how bad the "Batman" style of combat apparently is, I found it puzzling that nobody ever brought up the mediocre combat in Yakuza...until now.

You spend more time fighting then anything else, so it does get a bit tiresome.

Well, Yakuza isn't usually mentioned when talking about the best combat system, unlike Batman games. Aside from that, you're right: it's decent but nothing special. It's mash-friendly and being able to use items during combat means you'll never die unless you forget to heal. This is actually a good thing because when they try to raise the difficulty (see: climax battles) it all goes to shit, classic clue of a bad combat system.

OP: best thing you can do is try to use as many heat moves as possible, and switch style often. It makes the combat more varied.

OP
OP
truly101

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've been trying to get in this game for ages too. But it keeps being such a slog. Can't walk ten meters through Kamarucho before another gang wants to get beaten up by me. And if it was compelling then it would be something else, but it's mostly just wasting your time.
Often times it doesn't make any sense why they are chasing Kiryu or Majima in the first place. Sure I can understand why the yakuza heavies or men in black want to fight, they recognize Kiryu as someone invading their turf....the rest? I have no idea. Seems like your common street thug or goon would leave an obvious gang member alone unless forced, like when you intervene in the muggings. At least then I asked for this.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Often times it doesn't make any sense why they are chasing Kiryu or Majima in the first place. Sure I can understand why the yakuza heavies or men in black want to fight, they recognize Kiryu as someone invading their turf....the rest? I have no idea. Seems like your common street thug or goon would leave an obvious gang member alone unless forced, like when you intervene in the muggings. At least then I asked for this.

Less relevant for Yakuza 0, but more so for later Yakuza games - Its revealed in one of the two PSP spinoff games that gang bosses task wannabe Yakuza with the challenge of getting into a fight with Kiryu to test their metal. Basically its an initiation thing. But really, its just random RPG battles. You should get an item (a set of shoes/socks I believe) that cut down/remove random battles while you wear them. Not sure if they are in Yakuza 0 or not though.

As for Kiryu's brawler style - I found it one of the more useful all rounder styles in the game. It lacks the speed of Rush but it deals more damage. Its got a decent set of combo strings and an excellent array of heat moves that can be used in pretty much any situation (once you unlock them of course). And as you level it up more you get a great deal of new counters and combo enders to use to flesh out combat more. I used it loads against bosses as I found Rush to be too weak to deal enough damage to some bosses (at least in the beginning) and unless you have large objects nearby to grab, the Beast style is pretty awful in one on one fighting against a boss (again, it gets better later in the game as you get counters and heat moves that can be pulled off easily from the blocking stance and deal tons of damage).

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'd agree with you if we were talking about yakuza 6 but I feel that yakuza 0 and kiwami have the deepest and most rewarding combat mechanics in the series so far. I never personally got bored with the combat. What really makes it deep to me is being able to switch styles mid combo (ala DMC 4). For Kiwami it's native, but for 0 i think you need to get a jacket that lets you switch styles quicker. When you get to this level of understanding the combat mechanics, the game gets really fun.

HeeHo

Oct 27, 2017
Combat is by far my most favorite thing about Yakuza. The heat actions are brutal. I know exactly the part you are talking about. Maybe you aren't using the correct style? I found the Rush style to be effective in that scenario and switched to beast mode every now and then.

My first Yakuza was 0.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Huh, I actually really like the combat in Yakuza 0. The main point is to upgrade different styles and switch them up as needed. Plus, stock up on healing items, use the various Heat moves and it's pretty awesome.