HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
I was always socially isolated, don't have many friends or go out with others. But within my social group there are quite a few gamers. I assumed that people were understating how socially acceptable playing video games is. That was until I got my first job last year. People talk about pop music, Netflix, movies, sports but almost never about video games. It was surprising to me, really

Nov 3, 2017
People have less and less time spare (s/o capitalism you crusty bitch) so they have to phase out hobbies, usually it's one of the first to go because it's seen childish and is looked down upon, it is what it is

Jurec84

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I have the opposite experience. While most of my coworkers are women, they almost all have boyfriends with playstations 🤷🏻‍♂️ and they never ever said anything about my main hobby.

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
Really depends where you work and your co-workers demographics. About a third of my co-workers are into video games.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Are you excluding mobile and web games here? Because that net gets cast muuuuuch wider.

Finalrush

Dec 7, 2017
My office has a Switch dock so we bring ours in and play on Fridays... almost every place I've worked at has had a good amount of gamers, but probably because I work in animation/design and we're all nerds.

Edit: Also I see at least 3 desks here with Splatoon 2 artwork, even from people who don't play games that just like the art lol

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Complete opposite experience in all of the places I've worked. But it definitely depends on the type of place you work at

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
It depends on where you work, I guess. I work at a large tech company, and many many people are avid gamers.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Opposite for me actually. I hear my co-workers talking about some mainstream games when they're coming out, and they're like in their 40's and higher. Some of them even play mobile games when they have nothing to do, and know the ins and outs of them. And my boss was talking to me about how much he's loving Ark recently. So it's not like they're enthusiasts like the general ERA member but I still hear it more often than I thought I would, considering everyone else here is like 20 years older than me. I don't work in tech (yet) so it was actually surprising to me.

Oct 27, 2017
That says more about your job or the social circle there than than video games. Video games are in no way a niche hobby

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I was always socially isolated, don't have many friends or go out with others. But within my social group there are quite a few gamers. I assumed that people were understating how socially acceptable playing video games is. That was until I got my first job last year. People talk about pop music, Netflix, movies, sports but almost never about video games. It was surprising to me, really
What you might find is that people do actually play games, but they're reluctant to bring it up in conversation because of whatever stigma there is. I've seen situations like that where someone eventually makes a reference or something and before long, everyone is talking about games.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a fairly expensive and time consuming hobby. As you get older you will notice less people play games because they start spitting out kids or working 70 hours a week at the office.

Just is what it is.

Me? You'll bury me with my consoles.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
games are more self-enclosed entertainment. It's also a fairly expensive hobby

I have a few friends that play games. It depends what field of work you are in. My workplace (banking/finance), you hear about music, movies and sports. Sometimes the random food place or tv show pops up. The age range is probably close to about twice mine though...which will make a difference

Only time I bring up games is my longtime friends that we have the same tastes in (board games, sports, video games, random nights out)

Last edited:

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

Where you from? USA?

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Even if they play there really isn't much to discuss, with movies you can recall scenes and quotes, video games it's more like" yeah that game is cool".

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of people around this medium-ish sized tech company to talk to about CoD, PubG/Fortnite/Apex, Ass Creed or whatever. It is actually surprising to see how many people of various age groups bring it up.

But anything from Japan? Nope. Games were apparently invented in 2007 by the US, anything else might as well not exist.

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
Funny experience I had: I thought it was the same at my work place as OP's, but it turns out more people play games in some form than one might expect. BUT no one talks about it, because as prev mentioned there is this stigma that it is childish and stuff so there is rarely anyone striking up a conversation about that topic.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
This is reality. Some people are way too shletered in their online forums thinking games is mainstream

It's seen as childish and while I don't hide that I'm a gamer i get a lot of comments about it from.coworkers implying I should grow out of it

It is sad reality

Mosaica

May 22, 2019
It sort of depends on where you work, I suppose. And age is definitely a factor, to an extent.
Nearly everyone within my age group plays games to some degree or another, but the majority of our staff are generously older than I am. And of them I've only heard a handful mention playing anything.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Niche isn't the right word but yeah that's life. Sometimes you work with people you share hobbies sometimes you don't.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it also depends on what you call a game. The media labels many things as games including many mobile games like Sudoku. They may not consider that a video game, but it is.

Feb 10, 2018
I'm a teacher and 90% of my colleages don't play videogames / still have that negative prejudice against it

But the cool thing is we share games with the 10% who do play videogames, it reminds me of when I was a pupil. Just got The Last Guardian this way for the summer from a colleague, and I gave him Red Dead 2, that should keep him busy

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I game a lot but none of my colleagues would know about it, and likely vice versa. I think the bigger issue is that there's still a stigma about playing games as an adult, so most of us just keep it to ourselves IRL and stick to Era for discussion.
It is a fairly expensive hobby, obviously it won't be for everyone.
I thought we were talking about games, not skiing and horse riding.

xZoneHunter

Oct 25, 2017
It really depends on the company. Try working at a tech company.

This pretty much. I was actually suprised at how many people play games casually at my work place. And when i say casually i mean the big AAA releases and multiplayer games. I played some Monster Hunter Worlds beta with a co-worker last weekend for example.

Kate-Yelkovan

Jun 24, 2019
I definitely second (third, fourth?) what others have said, it totally depends on where you work, and not just which company but geographically too. Like here in the SF bay, gaming amongst professionals is definitely well known and well talked about ofc

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Put something video game related on a desk. I made a comment on a Jack Frost on someone desk and found we have similar gaming taste.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Playing Madden or war shit is acceptable. Telling a stranger about Undertale is still fuckin nerdy.
Yup, unless its a sports game or something like CoD then gaming is almost nonexistent except for the occasional phone game and depending on the demographic they probably play stuff like Mario Kart or smash bros. aswell but that also wouldn't be considerd a more "manly" or "mature" franchise so unless your at a party they wouksnt care about that either

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
My workplace skews pretty old but even in my department, where we're all fairly evenly spread across our 30s, nobody plays games except for me and one guy who's into FIFA.

Movies, TV, sports, music? Yeah. Numerous people who see Star Wars movies at midnight screenings and who got up early to watch Game of Thrones (it aired at 2am here). But the last conversation I can remember having about games was when I was being ribbed for taking a day off for the PS4 launch.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
In my experience, a lot of people used to play (console) games, as kids, but now do not. Ask your co-workers what games they played in the past, and you'll probably get a much higher response.

Also, all your co-workers are playing the latest mobile phone casual craze (Words with Friends or something), but that "doesn't count", according to them, and according to us, too. :-p

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I work mostly with women, and most of them play video games. They're more into mobile or browser based games though. One got super into Pokemon Go for a while. Not sure if she still plays.

I prefer this anyway. Would be nice to have someone at work I can talk games with I suppose, but it's unlikely that a Gamer™ co-worker would be interested in talking indies, Nintendo, or FFXIV with me.
Playing Madden or war shit is acceptable. Telling a stranger about Undertale is still fuckin nerdy.
Yeah, this, basically.