entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Some gaming esoterica here, I know they were in 3D World, but it didn't click until a recent replay of SMW.

If you see the bottom sprite, those were called Goombas in SMW. As a kid, I thought, wow, what a crazy redesign. They lost their mushroom shape but you could grab and kick them. No more satisfying squish. I just thought it was redesign. The koopas also got a big redesign in SMW. They were bipedal and came out of their shells. SoI thought it was just an evolution of classic Mario enemies in the 16 bit era.

if you beat the game, they're called Goombas in the enemy staff roll.

galoomba-super-mario-world.gif

However, I just noticed that these were in later Mario games with Goombas and were renamed to Galoombas. Personally, I wished these things would've stayed the default goomba.

Mario_3D_Galoomba.jpg

However, doing some quick research looks like they were a different enemy all along. If you look at the Japanese, back in the SMW days, they were called Kuribon. While Goombas are called Kuribō. So looks like Nintendo might have fixed a localization error.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
One of my least favorite parts of SMW was the redesigned Goombas. Glad they retconned this.

gr8kamon

Oct 30, 2017
Child me feels vindicated because I didn't think they were the same thing until Mario Maker when they were in the SMW tileset instead of Goombas. Happy to know the TRUTH

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
One of my least favorite parts of SMW was the redesigned Goombas. Glad they retconned this.
It was not retconned; in the Japanese version, they are correctly labelled as "Kuribon", compared to the default Goomba being named "Kuribo". It was a difference in localization (possibly even an error) that got them called Goomba in other regions. (See page 33 of this manual for the original "kuribon" text: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clvs/manuals/ja/pdf/CLV-P-VAAAJ.pdf)

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
The Japanese name translates to chestnut person so their Super Mario World design accurately reflects the name. Why they chose to call an enemy that's obviously a mushroom Kuribō is the real mystery.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
It was not retconned; in the Japanese version, they are correctly labelled as "Kuribon", compared to the default Goomba being named "Kuribo". It was a difference in localization (possibly even an error) that got them called Goomba in other regions. (See page 33 of this manual for the original "kuribon" text: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clvs/manuals/ja/pdf/CLV-P-VAAAJ.pdf)

Interesting! I dig that.

Makes sense since I thought they looked like acorns.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I say this in the OP.

But the error was so big that it does feel like a retcon. Plus they fill the Goomba's place in SMW, so it's kinda interesting how they replaced them instead of being included with them.

Seems like a punny thing too since the names are very similar in Japanese, but mean different things.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I say this in the OP.

But the error was so big that it does feel like a retcon. Plus they fill the Goomba's place in SMW, so it's kinda interesting how they replaced them instead of being included with them.
A mistranslation being fixed later on isn't a retcon, it's a mistranslation. Same with Aeris vs Aerith.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
A mistranslation being fixed later on isn't a retcon, it's a mistranslation. Same with Aeris vs Aerith.
This is a bit more interesting than a simple mistranslation, which is the origin.

For example, these enemies completely replace the iconic Goombas in SMW. They're not an addition to Goombas like later Mario games. So the perception is way different than the FFVII one.

You had millions of kids growing up with these as goombas.

Hrist

Jun 30, 2023
I don't agree that this is "a big error", nor a retcon, entremet. It feels so to you, but...

...even the japanese manual points out specifically that they move, act and look similar to Goomba. At the time, the English team may just have decided to handle them as a subspecies of goomba, just like a Siamese Cat and a Main Coon both are cats, both Kuribon and Kuribo could be the same species.

So it may not even have been an error, just a reasonable localization decision. The only difference in the name is an extra n-character at the end. And if it was an error, it likely was because of how things were translated at the time, often with poor references.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I don't agree that this is "a big error", nor a retcon, entremet. It feels so to you, but...

...even the japanese manual points out specifically that they move, act and look similar to Goomba. At the time, the English team may just have decided to handle them as a subspecies of goomba, just like a Siamese Cat and a Main Coon both are cats, both Kuribon and Kuribo could be the same species.

So it may not even have been an error, just a reasonable localization decision. The only difference in the name is an extra n-character at the end. And if it was an error, it likely was because of how things were translated at the time, often with poor references.
Def.

Apparently, still many people think these are Goombas lol. Again, this is just a fun thread on this funny fact. And they only got an official non-Japanese name 10 years ago with 3DWorld.

View: https://youtu.be/O0RRbawPcBw?si=yE4FXoVs0j3jcNyh

red mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2023
Interesting! I dig that.

Makes sense since I thought they looked like acorns.

OP actually mentioned that in the OP:
If you look at the Japanese, back in the SMW days, they were called Kuribon. While Goombas are called Kuribō. So looks like Nintendo might have fixed a localization error.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
For some reason I thought that when you completed the Special Zone it changed the Galoombas into Goombas but after reading this thread I looked it up and that isn't true at all. My memory has been lying to me for years.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't realize they were supposed to be Goombas (in the localization at least) until years later. Not only their design and mechanics were different, they were late game enemies, rather than being around from the start like Goombas.

Hrist

Jun 30, 2023
Def.

Apparently, still many people think these are Goombas lol. Again, this is just a fun thread on this funny fact. And they only got an official non-Japanese name 10 years ago with 3DWorld.

It's definitely a fun detail!

ZaxmGUl.png

They get different space too, half a page in Japanese. And English only gets the first line of the text, the "lore/story" of them got cut entirely. The japanese says the same as EN, then goes on that they look and move like Kuribo, and then speculates they might be distant relatives. Not important, so Nintendo of America just cut it, I guess.

It's somewhat interesting how today's serious wiki-treatment of game lore (everything must be exactly categorized!) clashes with the rather loose handling a few decades back. Goomba vs Galoomba, the Zelda timeline, the way the original Warcraft lore was created in an afternoon (and is now taken super seriously!). A couple decades back, everything flew loose and was pieced together by duct tape. I miss that.

Last edited:

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
For example, these enemies completely replace the iconic Goombas in SMW. They're not an addition to Goombas like later Mario games. So the perception is way different than the FFVII one.
SMW also took place in a different part of the world than the Mushroom Kingdom, so it makes sense that it features very different enemies than what are normal.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
SMW also took place in a different part of the world than the Mushroom Kingdom, so it makes sense that it features very different enemies than what are normal.
Oh for sure, but it still had classic enemies--Koopas, Bullet Bills, Lakitu, etc.

It wasn't that different like, say, its sequel, Yoshi's Island, which really distinguished that world. Yoshi's creatures list is now pretty distinguished funny enough. This is best seen in the recent Yoshi's Island MK8D track.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
From what I understand, the issue comes up due to Goomba's Japanese name. Goombas are Kuribo, which translates out to Chestnut guy, more or less, which itself is probably a misunderstanding of whomever was naming them originally, misinterpreting the sprite. Regular Goombas are based on shiitake mushrooms, but because of that weirdness at the beginning were named after chestnuts, so come SMW, you get the joke of the Galoomba, who are actually little chestnut creatures for real this time.

But in English, they were never given a name that reflected that they were either mushrooms or chestnuts.

Victim

Alt Account
Banned
Sep 21, 2023
yea, I think it was dinosaur land or something. It seemed they wanted to make a more "normal" world because SMB2 was weird in a surreal sense and SMB3 was just mario-weird

red mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2023
ZaxmGUl.png

They get different space too, half a page in Japanese. And English only gets the first line of the text, the "lore/story" of them got cut entirely. The japanese says the same as EN, then goes on that they look and move like Kuribo, and then speculates they might be distant relatives. Not important, so Nintendo of America just cut it, I guess.

So it's not a localization error; they deliberately removed these little guys' lore in order to justify the "Goomba" name

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize they were supposed to be Goombas (in the localization at least) until years later. Not only their design and mechanics were different, they were late game enemies, rather than being around from the start like Goombas.
Don't they first show up in Donut Plains, which is 'World 2'? That's closer to the start than late game.

Bengraven