BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
138 of them, to be precise. (Books, not nephews.)
Edit: By designed, I mean everything except the original artworks, although that said, several of them took hours of painstaking reconstruction work, for this reason or that.

My nephews are 7 and 10, and they're obsessed, and really love the original series of 62 books. And so do I.
For a little added suspense, I'm tweeting them out one by one, starting here:

Here are the covers I've revealed so far:

xPX1ypd.jpg

And here's R.L. Stine's response =)

Last edited:

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Those look awesome, man.

I used to plow through those books when I was young.

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Great job on this. I could have been easily convinced that they were books from the original series that I missed - I think I had grown out of the books before the last 10-20 came out.

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
These are awesome.

Kind of a weird question but is there any equivalent book or books that are more for adults? I'm not talking Stephen King or novels like that; I'm talking something simpler. Hard to describe but I'd love something a bit more mature but easy to read to give me that Halloween feeling.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Are they a mash up of the original covers? I swear I recognise the doll in "School for Dummies".

Edit:
71GTM16G6XL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.gif

Knew I recognised that horrific face.
So are you re-drawing them or coming up with new covers using the existing artwork?

Either way, fun project and cool of you to do for them.

Last edited:

Has Bean

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, really well done. You could have told me those were real Goosebumps covers and I would have believed it.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
What the fuck.

At first I was like "wait he's just designing the spines? That doesn't really count..."

Then I was like "wait aren't those just the real covers? Where are his custom ones?"

Then I was like "wait what in the world..."

Those are incredible and not only look extremely professional but they capture the mood of the old goosebumps covers/tone perfectly. Damn son.

ghostandgoblin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Just to be clear, you redesigned the look of the collection but not the artworks (goosebumps logo, use of colors...) ?
As you are giving the name of the artist each time I'm not sure if you changed the original illustration or not.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Those look like they belong with all the other Goosebumps books. Look awesome. Great job.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck.

At first I was like "wait he's just designing the spines? That doesn't really count..."

Then I was like "wait aren't those just the real covers? Where are his custom ones?"

Then I was like "wait what in the world..."

Those are incredible and not only look extremely professional but they capture the mood of the old goosebumps covers/tone perfectly. Damn son.

Same haha.

These are great!

ghostandgoblin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Paris
The art is by a variety of illustrators.

You got their permission right?
Well since it's not a for profit project and he is giving their name I think it's still ok to do so. The problem is more that the title "I designed" is a bit vague about what he did design in the end and could lead to people believing he draw the covers.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Those look straight up like the original cover art style. Neat!

As I understand it, they are. What the OP has done is take the art from the books of series 2000 and beyond (as well as some of the earlier spinoffs) and retrofitted them with the classic cover design of the original 62 books, with new color combinations and titles where appropriate.

Not calling the OP out or anything, just clarifying what is meant by "designed".

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
These are awesome.

Kind of a weird question but is there any equivalent book or books that are more for adults? I'm not talking Stephen King or novels like that; I'm talking something simpler. Hard to describe but I'd love something a bit more mature but easy to read to give me that Halloween feeling.

I would highly recommend any Stephen King collection of short stories. Nightmares and Dreamscapes being one of the best. I think it will give you what you're looking for.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
As I understand it, they are. What the OP has done is take the art from the books of series 2000 and beyond (as well as some of the earlier spinoffs) and retrofitted them with the classic cover design of the original 62 books, with new color combinations and titles where appropriate.

Not calling the OP out or anything, just clarifying what is meant by "designed".

Indeed, I instantly recognize Invasion of the Body Squeezers. When Goosebumps 2000 came around, I decided to drop the series, but this book still interested me. Never did get it, but thank goodness for Blogger Beware.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Boy, I was confused for a while there. So, you're using original art by Tim Jacobus (and others, at times) in conjunction with your own titles / taglines to make covers for books that don't exist. I thought you were drawing those images and I was stunned by how much they looked like the original series.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure of anything current, but RL Stine wrote a YA series called Fear Street back in the day. Not strictly adult, I suppose, but not aimed at kids like Goosebumps.

There was also the Point Horror series, which I remember as skewing slightly older. RL Stine wrote a few of them.

I'm not sure how either of those would hold up, though. Standards for YA fiction weren't particularly high back then.

OP
OP
BowieZ

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Boy, I was confused for a while there. So, you're using original art by Tim Jacobus (and others, at times) in conjunction with your own titles / taglines to make covers for books that don't exist. I thought you were drawing those images and I was stunned by how much they looked like the original series.
Correct. Some of them took hours of reconstruction work though to fit in the shape of the frame etc.

I feel bad now cos I didn't mean to imply I was drawing/painting each one. I guess I sort of expected Tim Jacobus's work to be unmistakeable! lol

For example, here are edit points I used for a later one. (This was originally a Give Yourself Goosebumps cover called Beware the Purple Peanut Butter.)

Last edited:

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Tim Jacobus's stuff was the bomb. Really captured the mind in ways the new stuff--or even old stuff by other artists (as seen in the Give Yourself Goosebumps Series)--never quite did. The range of color, thoughtful use of light and shadows, often a fair bit of negative space, some warped perspectives, all tied together with just really nice paintwork is still iconic of the series. Even if the writing inside was corny as hell, the art sold it to my imagination.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
You basically gave the current covers that retro feel. I can see it with the embossed logo on the cover now.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Correct. Some of them took hours of reconstruction work though to fit in the shape of the frame etc.

I feel bad now cos I didn't mean to imply I was drawing/painting each one. I guess I sort of expected Tim Jacobus's work to be unmistakeable! lol

yeah, i imagine its a lot of work to reframe and clean up images.

It's on there. #145.

You'll have to wait a few days lmao

hah. damn, i ruined the surprise.

Heisenberg726

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This is legitimately amazing. I loved this book series so much when I was a kid, and these really do look like books I would've read.

Nice job, OP