Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
The last time I saw it was in the theaters. I don't know why I've avoided seeing it again. Maybe it's because I somehow didn't want to taint that first experience. Nevertheless, I decided to see it at home.

Benicio in this movie, man. Benicio... Don't get me wrong, the whole cast was amazing, Blunt, Brolin, everyone! And yes, I know the dinner scene was absolutely horrible...

But for some reason, this is the scene that I remember most vividly, even after 9 years:

View: https://youtu.be/qpo5Pf39B1U?si=pL4WvowfdwydmWsg&t=4m48s

That goddamn stare. Just... Completely dead inside. It's fucking crazy to me that he didn't even get an Oscar nomination.

Denis Villeneuve is undoubtedly the greatest director of his generation. Hands down. He might just be my favorite, period. I love Dune and all, but I wish he would return to making some smaller budget, but completely original stuff again. He's so goddamn versatile.

Oh, and I even forgot there was a sequel. I haven't watched it. Partially because I got spoiled and also, the most crucial part:

No Villeneuve = Waste of time, IMO.

There's talk of a third one now too...? They should've just left this masterpiece alone (unless Denis decided to direct again, that is).

What was stuck on your mind after watching it, Era?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Hell of a line to wrap up the entire thesis of the film in a bleakly cutting bow, and he delivers it perfectly

"You will not survive here. You are not a wolf, and this is a land of wolves now"

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Probably my favorite movie of the past decade, something about it I just find so compelling

It's one of those movies that makes more sense the more you watch it, doesn't explain everything to you

I haven't seen Dune 2 yet, but this is still my top Villeneuve movie

HOT TAKE: Sicario is better than any Nolan movie

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I remember a lot of people said Kate was left out of the finale of the movie (the dinner scene). And I always said: of course not, *that* is the climax of the film. The scene with her and Alejandro.

Great movie. But Kate needs a reckoning.

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't see it for a few years after it released because I assumed it was just another cops/cartel story. I knew from the very first shot of the movie that I had made a mistake.

It might be my most rewatched movie of the past decade or two. Villeneuve and Deakins absolutely killed it on every level. That shot of the raid teams silhouettes descending into darkness as the sun sets is my single favorite shot in anything from the past 20 years. And the score is iconic. RIP Johann.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The first two minutes of this clip, where they literally descend into darkness, is masterful. The whole movie is phenomenal, but this scene stuck with me the most.

EDIT:
That shot of the raid teams silhouettes descending into darkness as the sun sets is my single favorite shot in anything from the past 20 years.
lol, exactly what I'm talking about.

OP
OP
Firmus_Anguis

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
That shot of the raid teams silhouettes descending into darkness as the sun sets is my single favorite shot in anything from the past 20 years. And the score is iconic. RIP Johann.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The first two minutes of this clip, where they literally descend into darkness, is masterful.
The whole movie is phenomenal, but this scene stuck with me the most.

EDIT:

lol, exactly what I'm talking about.
sicario.gif

Masterful.

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
Had no idea a third entry was in the works. Can't say much of the sequel stuck with me compared to the original. I need to rewatch the first after years.

Oct 22, 2019
I truly don't mean this as shade on anyone - except myself - but I watched this movie because of how great everyone said it was, and I don't remember a single thing about it, except that it was about cops and drugs I guess? It made no impression on me at all. Whenever people talk about it, I feel like a very stupid person.

Do I just not understand cinema? What's my problem? I have no idea. I wish I could see things the way other people see them, sometimes.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I truly don't mean this as shade on anyone - except myself - but I watched this movie because of how great everyone said it was, and I don't remember a single thing about it, except that it was about cops and drugs I guess? It made no impression on me at all. Whenever people talk about it, I feel like a very stupid person.

Do I just not understand cinema? What's my problem? I have no idea. I wish I could see things the way other people see them, sometimes.
If you dont remember anything about that gif in the post above....I dont know what to say...lol.

One of my fav movies of all time. So many memorable scenes.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome movie, though I feel like how the Mexican cop story intersects with the A plot was kinda heavy handed. Wish Villeneuve would step back from big sci-fi stuff and do some more thrillers.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Sheridan's work on Sicario, High or Hell Water, and Wind River maybe the best streak of films in three years. Movie is tense all the way through. Everything from the introduction in the body house, to border crossing, to interrogation scenes. *chef kiss*

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom

Maybe a genre thing? or maybe something you might need to revisit with age? I saw it a second time many years after i learned a bit more about justice systems and drug wars. it hit so much different. The story was not really a run of the mill "cops and drugs" one to me. As a crime thriller, it's just so masterfully told and shot.

Last edited:

GambitPool

Nov 27, 2020
Don't get me wrong. Villenueve's foray into sci-fi is stellar, generation defining work, but I do miss his dramatic realism films. I need Prisoner's highway speed drive, Sicario's border freeway shootout Denis Villenueve back. I haven't felt those tense moments in forever.

Oct 28, 2017
This is part one of Taylor Sheridan's American Frontier Trilogy

Sicario
Wind River
Hell or High Water

It's an impossibly great movie but it might not even be the best of that group which is a crazy thing to say. I watched it on a whim and I haven't been that surprised by how good a movie was since Children of Men

GoodGrief

Jan 24, 2024
Met Denis with this one, he's my favorite director, 2049 and Dune have topped it but you can't forget your first love. So many banger scenes to pick from, the opening, the border crossing, the dinner scene, "this is a land of wolves now". Gah. So good.

Sicario 2 is a pretty good movie tbh. Doesn't even approach the heights of this one, but it's entertaining, gives you more of the characters, and gets the point of the original. I would say watch it.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most harrowing movies I've seen - first time I saw it was on a flight with closed captioning only and it still had me shook

JSRF

"This guy are sick"
Aug 23, 2023
Yeah one of my favorites.

The border scene is amazing.
The dusk scene posted above.
The stealth espionage action in the last act

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I really need to rewatch it. I didn't think it was that great when I first watched it, especially that border crossing scene that gets praised all the time.

Perhaps I'd appreciate it more all these years later

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017

Were you playing/scrolling on your phone?

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
I just love how you go on the journey WITH Kate. You have just as much information as she does. You have no idea who these guys are or what their motives are. You have just as many questions as she does. You're questioning morality with her. You're questioning the basic meaning of right vs wrong. At the end of it you're just spent, with more questions than answers.

YimbyButler

Jun 1, 2024
If Sicario is a 10/10 no notes type of movie (it is), then Day of the Soldado is like an 8. I def think it's worth watching. But it is like a 20 percent decrease in quality

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017

You are not alone. I love me some cinema and I'm always in line with critics, but Sicario discourse is where I feel like I came from another planet. I know the movie didn't have the same success in my country compared to the USA, for what it's worth.
It felt like your average "drug cartel story", presenting itself as realistic, where cops are bad, carteleros are animals, and every character needs to speak slowly. And I'm fine with that as long as you do something special with it, but nothing felt special about the story or dialogues or characters, I can't even remember a single scene that got me on the edge of my seat. All I remember is some great cinematography.
I will give it another chance in the future.

Last edited:

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the first film. The second one was really good too. What's the deal with the third film? Is it in project hell or something? It haven't heard a peep out of it in years.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched this film again for the first time since release just a few months ago. The sequel is pretty decent as well. Not quite as good as the first, but still worth watching.

But y'all need to watch Prisoners.

Another film I just watched even more recently. Going to watch Enemy again soon as well. Probably Arrival after (which I've had on UHD since release, but have only seen it in the theater).

Seeing a pattern yet? 😂

Oct 22, 2019
Were you playing/scrolling on your phone?

No, I would never. Full attention or not at all. Nothing is ever "in the background". If it's not interesting, I'll just bail. I didn't bail in this case, so that's something I guess.

All I remember is some great cinematography.

All I remember about the visuals was that it seemed to have a thick brown filter all over everything, like a PS3-era game (rated M for Mature). I found that really distracting and overwrought. I had forgotten about this at first, but the gifs in this thread seem to confirm the memory.

I loved Blade Runner 2049, fwiw. Interlinked.

Anyway, I'm gonna duck out of this thread now, because I don't want to rain on anyone's parade (more than I already have). Sorry, and enjoy!

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Dang it's been 9 years? 😭

Loved the movie! 4K BluRay Version with the sound is sick!

Edit- even the special features was great... behind the scenes shit.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
If Sicario is a 10/10 no notes type of movie (it is), then Day of the Soldado is like an 8. I def think it's worth watching. But it is like a 20 percent decrease in quality

As much as I loved the original.. as soon as I heard they changed directors... I figured it wouldn't be as good, and I didn't watch it in the theaters. I actually purposely haven't watched it to this day, so it doesn't stain my memory of the original. Not the first sequel I've had to do the same with. I haven't watched Coming to America 2 either.. even though the original is my favorite movie of all time..or one of lol.