• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I am of course talking about Ni No Kuni 2 The Alliance Alive. I am not even kidding about this.

The success of The Legend of Legacy (which I loved) pushed Cattle Call Inc. to make another game that would fix its drawbacks while creating a more traditional JRPG feel. And it worked. They clearly pushed themselves to the maximum, even delaying the game during its japanese release to meet their standard of quality.

The result: I feel like I'm having that classic JRPG feel all over again.

What strikes me most is the attention of detail. Did you know that dialogues between NPCs is different if you change your leader to appear on the overworld ? Did you know you would get merchants to sell you stuff based on the race of the leader ? Even footsteps are different between characters. FOOTSTEPS. In a lot of JRPGs you would hear 2 set of footsteps sounds for every character, but Cattle Call is putting so much attention to detail and I'm having so much fun discovering all of it.

the-alliance-alive-53mooje.jpg
the-alliance-alive-5390pf7.jpg

The pace is brisk, the characters are all fun, the dialogues are snappy and doesn't drag down, even the dungeons are fun and far more thought-out than say, Bravely Default on the same system. I'm having fun all around and I'm having that feeling of exploring.

The gameplay is also a very good introduction to SaGa mechanics, and compared to another JRPG that has Ghibli aspirations, The Alliance Alive is tightly screwed together: all the mechanics are complementing each other to offer a deep and satisfying set of systems to use.

And it works because it's a JRPG that doesn't just say it wants to offer this feeling of classic JRPGs, it acts on it. It knows what made people like those games and tries to iterate on this feeling. It doesn't just slap an overworld map without understanding *why* people likes it. So that's why you have a focus on exploration, vehicles, optional areas and so forth.

Also, did I mention the GOD TIER soundtrack ? Hamashi Hamauzu went the extra mile to deliver one of his best works and I haven't heard a single bad track from him. I'm putting the extra work to put headphones on my 3DS to listen to his work in full glory, something I hardly do.

With probably not even half of the quarter of the budget of NNK2, Cattle Call delivered on all fronts in a way I never expected. And it is so striking for me to come out of NNK2 so dispirited only to find myself full of joy and not ever finding myself to be bored even once in The Alliance Alive.

I urge you to give it a try if you can. There is also the OT if you don't trust my word. I haven't seen anyone NOT sing the praises of this game.

the-alliance-alive-53z3q5c.jpg

Also there is a duck swimming in lava so you're contractually obligated to buy it. It's law.

Edit : Cool info you might be interested to hear about: I forgot to mention that Yoshitaka Murayama, the creator of the Suikoden series, wrote the story of this game. Personally I like the writing a lot

Last edited:

The End

Jan 25, 2018
User warned: Port-begging.
I'd totally buy this... on switch.

I haven't touched my 3ds since christmas.

Flarin

Oct 28, 2017
I've had my eyes on this one for a while now. That good huh? Might have to actually pick it up.

BlandrewYT

Nov 27, 2017
Thought this was gonna be a stealth Xenoblade 2 topic lol.

I have Alliance Alive, but I'm waiting till I finish Radiant Historia before jumping in. Interested to see if it lives up to the hype.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this thread was gonna be about Lydie & Suelle.

ldave82

Oct 28, 2017
No physical in Europe, no buy for me at full price, sorry. I'll pick it up later, after a huge price cut.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I can't front: I was rolling my eyes until I heard that track you posted. "Like I haven't heard all of that before."

God DAMN.

I'm sorry for being a bitch, OP. I'll look into it.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I read the title and thought this was another crazy Xenoblade 2 fan thread for the recent update.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
Switch has killed my desire to play 3DS RPGs. It's a bummer really, I still have Bravely Second and SMT4:A waiting to be played. Maybe in a few years I'll be able to come back to it but right now I just can't justify buying another 3DS RPG.

Anyway, I'm playing NNK2 right now and loving it. TAA looks like a lot of fun though.

Trode

Mar 27, 2018
Why do I keep finding new reasons to keep playing on my 3ds :/

Great thread OP, the 3ds is already a jrpg machine for me and this looks a fantastic new addition to that collection.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Cool

First I heard of it

Will add to wishlist and it's also a Atlus game

Atlus still delivering to 3DS

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Switch would instantly be the greatest console of all time if it suddenly started having support for 3DS games, even just digitally.

Good for guys on 3DS, glad they're still getting some great games on the platform and I hope it remains healthy throughout the next couple years as it winds down! This seems great and maybe I'll check it out if it gets ported.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is this really just a stealth Ni No Kuni to bashing thread? Either way! Game looks great, hope to pick it up soon.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
How story-heavy is this game compared to Legend of Legacy? I was really enjoying the systems in that game but I unfortunately couldn't stay interested in it because the seemingly barebones story didn't motivate me enough to keep going. But I'd be super interested in a game with similar combat/leveling/skill learning mechanics but with a stronger story focus.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Because right now I'm playing EOU1 and DQ7 (and well, for a while I'm not free to buy games lol), I would buy it. You don't need play Legend of Legacy right?

Why there are a lot of good RPG in this console? I still need to buy Ever Oasis, Etrian Untold 2, Etrian 4 and Etrian 5 (but 5 will be a physical purchase, the others are cheaper digital), Legend of Legacy, Bravely Default and Second, Fire Emblem Fates (well, DLC, because I already have the Birthright cartridge), Fire Emblem Echoes Shadows of Valentia, Radiant remake, 7th Dragon III and of course this game :( Thank god I have already DS Strange Journey or I would have to add other game to my list of future purchases.

3DS stay slaying with JRPG damn.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I can't front: I was rolling my eyes until I heard that track you posted. "Like I haven't heard all of that before."

God DAMN.

I'm sorry for being a bitch, OP. I'll look into it.

I know...I didn't want to believe it at first but then the music didn't want to stop being so good and I just had to resign myself to make this thread.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
OP sold me on the game and now I find out there is no physical release for this game here in Europe That's disappointing to say the least :(

Aveyn Knight

Nov 29, 2017
UK
I was wondering what game it was. I am still waiting for my copy to arrive.

It's a shame it seems to have gone under the radar for most people.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
How story-heavy is this game compared to Legend of Legacy? I was really enjoying the systems in that game but I unfortunately couldn't stay interested in it because the seemingly barebones story didn't motivate me enough to keep going. But I'd be super interested in a game with similar combat/leveling/skill learning mechanics but with a stronger story focus.

The story is tight in this game. TLOL and TAA is the same leap from FF1 to FF6 in terms of what they accomplish. Not to knock on TLOL or FF1 since I love both of these games too. It's just that Alliance Alive does much more in terms of storytelling and overall set of mechanics at your disposal. They're hardly similar except for the gameplay system in broad strokes.

What Alliance Alive has that TLOL hasn't :

• Bigger focus on story
  • Lots of characters with development
  • A lot of exploration that is more "substantial" (overworld map)
  • Lots of towns and dungeons
  • Interaction between NPCs with some really good dialogue. I personally like the humour of this game a whole lot

Because right now I'm playing EOU1 and DQ7 (and well, for a while I'm not free to buy games lol), I would buy it. You don't need play Legend of Legacy right?

The Legend of Legacy is super different, so you don't need to play it to enjoy The Alliance Alive.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
How story-heavy is this game compared to Legend of Legacy?
It's much stronger on that front - i.e. it actually has a story that dictates where you go and what you do to clear the game's main objectives rather than just having you explore (though you can still explore the overworld to find new guild recruits, rare enemies, mini-dungeons, loot, etc.). It's not groundbreaking, but it juggles its cast well and though they may not be deep, the characters are individual characters rather than Legacy's blank slates.
You don't, no. Legacy is good, but it's a very acquired taste and I wouldn't suggest newcomers start with it because there's a good chance you'll be put off! Alliance Alive is a lot more welcoming.

Anyway, this is the game to beat for me this year. I had very high hopes and it's completely surpassed them - I don't regret getting it day 1 digital, though I wish we got physical copies here as well. I really hope Cattle Call stick with this formula, because they've pretty much nailed it for me and as OP said, I think they show a good understanding of what they're doing with everything here, so the game is really satisfying. I think I mentioned this in the OT, but it's a good mix of being comfortingly traditional while also offering a fair enough amount of challenge and customisation.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, OP. Now I want this. Your text convinced me because this is exactly what I want: classic japanese RPG that doesn't feel like it's tryharding to be like a SNES/PSX game.

I'm hearing many good things about this game and it feels like if you ported it exactly like it is to a Switch or PS4 the metascore would go up by like 10 points. lol At least I have no problem with playing the 3DS, it's a great system. :)

Clown_im_OP

Oct 28, 2017
Btw you're good at this, Dreamboum, I also bought the Silver Case games because of your thread ;)

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Man OP you are making my life hard....

I have too many games in my backlog already T_T

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3DS?

What a shame, the game is perfect for the switch

Is just a joke, Radiant Storia takes priority over this if I ever buy another 3DS game

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Wake me up when they stop making 3DS games

Game looks up my alley at least and I hope they continue making games

Octopath beats it on artstyle but Im interested in the 5 character battle system

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Btw you're good at this, Dreamboum, I also bought the Silver Case games because of your thread ;)

Thanks I hope you will get a lot of fun out of them !

I absolutely hated everything about Legend of Legacy. Would you still recommend it?

Definitely. I'm biased because I loved TLoL but I have friends who also hated the everliving hell out of that game who are thoroughly enjoying this one. I believe there is a demo on the eshop if you want to have impressions before pulling the trigger (saves don't carry over).

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
I wish Apple would make a case with game controls on it. My iPhone could easily handle this game, I would gladly pay full price for an rpg like this. Instead I have free to play bs.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Never heard of the game until this topic. But I am very intrigued.

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks I hope you will get a lot of fun out of them !

Definitely. I'm biased because I loved TLoL but I have friends who also hated the everliving hell out of that game who are thoroughly enjoying this one. I believe there is a demo on the eshop if you want to have impressions before pulling the trigger (saves don't carry over).

Cheers. I'll give it a look.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You've convinced me.

I went ahead and bought it, will play it after I finish Radiant Historia and Atelier.

Oct 25, 2017
It's insane how many good RPGs have dropped for the 3DS in the last year or so. I swear, I could go buy them all now and be set for portable gaming for years to come. I'm still very happy with my 3DS.

I'll have to try the demo of this one. Looks interesting enough to try.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Legend of legacy had a questionable battle system...but if they refined that bizarre setup then i may have to grab this.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I absolutely hated everything about Legend of Legacy. Would you still recommend it?
Mmmmmaaaaaaybe. Strong maybe. Did you enjoy using formations and positions (attack/defend/heal positions giving you various stat changes)? Do you enjoy awakening/sparking ability systems as in SaGa? Those things are still there (though it's easier to get new positions as they're guild bonuses rather than given to you by a random NPC who may or may not show up). Full disclosure, I really like Legend of Legacy so was always going to love this, but it's a big step forward and it's quite different as a result so it may improve things for you. If the elemental contract stuff bugged you, it's completely gone - only certain characters can use 'black magic' and 'white magic' requires either the right weapon or accessory, but there's no more singing shards or needing to set up a contract before you can even use a spell, only for the enemy to cancel your contract before you finish casting.
Interesting opinion. I remember trying out the (JP) demo and not really liking it. Maybe I should look into it again.
If it's the same demo we got, it's honestly not a very good showcase of the game as it's the opening hour where you're learning the absolute basics and being introduced to the start of the story. You only get to play with two characters, don't get to make any new formations, there's no risk, etc. etc. Things pick up soon after and you're running with groups of three or four until you finally get your full squad and are rotating 9+ characters in and out of parties of five.