AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
powered%20up.png

The original Mega Man is a classic... but it's also kinda bullshit. The level design is all over the place, and is very frustrating. If it weren't for the rewind feature of the legacy collection, I would simply not be wasting my time with this game.

This got me thinking about the game's superior remake: Mega Man Powered Up, which was released exclusively (lol 😭) for the PSP. It's an amazing game that takes the rough blueprint of the original game, and transforms it into something very polished, and charming as fuck. The game used a cutesy chibi art style that fit the Mega Man vibe perfectly. It also reimagines the levels of the game to make them actually fun and not garbage. But fret not, if you suffer from stockholm syndrome over the original levels: they are still here! You can chose to play the original garbage levels if you wish. The game also had a level editor and let you play as the robot masters. It was a complete beautiful package. And it's stuck on the PSP.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoENAVmCm68

Capcom, please rerelease this game on modern platforms! I would buy it at a high price.

Last edited:

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
To be honest, I'm surprised it wasn't included in Legacy Collection 2 as an unlockable game you can play. It would've been great for this PSP game to be in more hands.

Same deal with Maverick Hunter X for the MMX Legacy Collections.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X were both awesome. Really wish they were included in their respective Legacy Collections. Ooor that, plus continuing the remakes and giving us Powered Up 2 and Maverick Hunter X 2. Ehh? Ehh? Come on, Capcom. 👀

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X were both awesome. Really wish they were included in their respective Legacy Collections. Ooor that, plus continuing the remakes and giving us Powered Up 2 and Maverick Hunter X 2. Ehh? Ehh? Come on, Capcom. 👀
would literally be a dream come true 😭

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
They should have added it in the collection, especially because it has a level creator. C'mon it's an official Megaman Maker.

Jake

Oct 28, 2017
I have been wanting to replay this game for years, but my psp is broken so I can't play it anymore. They really do need to bring this to modern platformers.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
These collections are great for the most part but they are clearly very strict about which games in each series they want to promote as being core to it and which seem destined to be forgotten. The Classic series has tons of spin-offs, but X has several too that would be great to see again (especially the JRPG one) not to mention the spin-offs within Battle Network, Star Force, and even Legends

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
As I said in another thread, I'm hoping that if we get a couple more collections, they cap it off with some sort of Mega Man All-Stars Legacy Collection. The main hook of this would be HD remasters of four games that have been lost to time, such as Powered Up, alongside a collection of emulated spin-off titles to round out the package.

- the four remasters: Powered Up, Maverick Hunter X, Network Transmission and Command Mission
- Xtreme 1-2
- Power Battle and Power FIghters
- Soccer
- Battle & Chase
- Battle Chip Challenge

Protodude

Oct 25, 2017
MMPU was fantastic. It really set the bar for content and replay value from a classic series entry... and still hasn't been surpassed.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
I think Capcom is mad that it didn't sold well on psp lol.
"If you guys didn't want it that time you will never get it again."

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
As I said in another thread, I'm hoping that if we get a couple more collections, they cap it off with some sort of Mega Man All-Stars Legacy Collection. The main hook of this would be HD remasters of four games that have been lost to time, such as Powered Up, alongside a collection of emulated spin-off titles to round out the package.

- the four remasters: Powered Up, Maverick Hunter X, Network Transmission and Command Mission
- Xtreme 1-2
- Soccer
- Battle & Chase
- Battle Chip Challenge
Capcom needs to make this happen!

Apr 5, 2022
God, the lack of a Mega Man Powered Up 2 still hurts me today.

It really sucks because I'm sure Keiji Inafune had something to do with that, not sure what was true or not but I read that during the PS2/GC Mega Man X Anniversary Collection was coming out they had some content made specifically for that version (I think there was news going around that they were gonna have remixed tracks for all 6 X games plus voice acting or a redub of the 4th game and english voice acting in the X6 game for the first time) but then I also read that most of that stuff got canceled in the collection so it ended up being a bare bones collection and the newly produced content moved over to the "Maverick Hunter X" project which had voice acting and remixed music in MMX1 Remake on PSP, then when the sales of that game didn't do well (should of been on PS2/Gamecube, made a big mistake putting it solely on PSP) they quietly canned the rest of the Maverick Hunter X series which I would assume would be 3D remakes matching the visuals of the X1 Remake going up to X6, but if anyone else knows any more details I'd love to know but this is what I remember!

Article with some stuff from Rockman Corner years ago: https://www.rockman-corner.com/2009/05/mega-man-x-collection-dilemma.html

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
One of only 2 games I bought for my PSP because they weren't officially available on the Vita digital store (the other being Lumines).

I actually prefer the way Powered Up plays to the original Mega Man.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017

- Xtreme 1-2
- Soccer
- Battle & Chase
- Battle Chip Challenge

I think they could add Mega Man & Bass to those, as well. I'm surprised it wasn't in Legacy Collection 2, at least.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I think they could add Mega Man & Bass to those, as well. I'm surprised it wasn't in Legacy Collection 2, at least.

Oh, that was actually just part of a larger post I had made about future Mega Man collections. One of them was a Legacy Collection 3 that has the missing classic stuff (the five Game Boy games, Mega Man & Bass, perhaps even The Wily Wars and Street Fighter X Mega Man).

Add color options to the Game Boy games, which they were developing for GBA alongside the old Anniversary Collection but later cancelled, and that'd be a nice $30 bundle.

Screens of that cancelled collection: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/game/1106/mega-man-anniversary-collection-gba-game-boy-advance

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah, I loved that game. Much better than the janky original (which I used to love until Mega Man 2 showed me what it could be).

I spent ages building a custom level that was only playable by the bosses, which had eight unique paths to showcase their skills. I uploaded it to the online service but I doubt that's still around.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom's got a lot of good PSP games... stuck on the PSP. Powered Up was a great remake and its crazy how much content was included in the game - so many unlockable characters, each with their own powers and story dialogue (voiced!), plus the level creator, alternate paths through levels, challenge mode etc. Its one of the most ambitious in the platformer series, and it remains locked to the PSP... (then again Id also love a port of Ultimate GnG Kai while we are at it).
Still sad we never got a remake of MM2 with similar polish.

Its absense in the second Legacy Collection is bizarre... I still have no idea why they didnt include it...

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think Capcom is mad that it didn't sold well on psp lol.
"If you guys didn't want it that time you will never get it again."
MMPU and MHX on PSP is the most egregious example of the Capcom Test ever

They launched on a freshly released PSP that cost 300.00 USD at the time, you had to buy a separate memory card which was 40.00 at the time, and then the game for 60.00

So that's 400.00 before tax, 440.00 or so after just to play one of these games. Approximately 500.00 to play both. A remake from a series that had already worn out its welcome with the general gaming public for about a decade so only the hardcore Mega Man fans were interested but even then there is that 440.00 price wall. General players weren't interested in the games already and Mega Man enthusiasts weren't interested in dropping hundreds of dollars on a new system just to play a port / remake.

"It's a shame the fans didn't want to get more involved. If we saw there was an audience for MMPU / MHX people might change minds"

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

- Xtreme 1-2
- Soccer
- Battle & Chase
- Battle Chip Challenge
This would be the best thing. With Mega Man & Bass too.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
I never played this despite wanting to. I did play Maverick Hunter X, which may as well be its sibling title. Also great.

Oh yeah, I loved that game. Much better than the janky original (which I used to love until Mega Man 2 showed me what it could be).

I spent ages building a custom level that was only playable by the bosses, which had eight unique paths to showcase their skills. I uploaded it to the online service but I doubt that's still around.
The online service actually survived until late last year. Then when it did get shut down fans preserved the entirety of the custom level catalogue.

CutieYuri

Oct 7, 2022

They launched on a freshly released PSP that cost 300.00 USD at the time, you had to buy a separate memory card which was 40.00 at the time, and then the game for 60.00

So that's 400.00 before tax, 440.00 or so after just to play one of these games. Approximately 500.00 to play both. A remake from a series that had already worn out its welcome with the general gaming public for about a decade so only the hardcore Mega Man fans were interested but even then there is that 440.00 price wall. General players weren't interested in the games already and Mega Man enthusiasts weren't interested in dropping hundreds of dollars on a new system just to play a port / remake.

"It's a shame the fans didn't want to get more involved. If we saw there was an audience for MMPU / MHX people might change minds"

I'm more shocked they never bothered to port a $15-$20 HD version to Xbox 360/PS3 around that era, it would have been perfect after the relative success of Mega Man 9 and 10, along with other HD ports like Puzzle Fighter and the various Street Fighters games.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
The graphics and animations are great, playing as other characters is fun, and the challenge mode makes the most of having all those characters. It's also great that, at least as of very recently, the server for downloading user-made levels was still up.

As a strictly Mega Man experience, though, I prefer the original's physics and how the Buster works. The original music is also better.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
MMPU was awesome! One of the top games on PSP for sure. I loved the remixed stages and being able to play as all the robot masters and other unlockable characters. The challenge mode stages were insanely good as well.

So that's 400.00 before tax, 440.00 or so after just to play one of these games. Approximately 500.00 to play both.
Nothing about this is accurate. PSP launched for $249.99 USD and had a memory stick packed in. Sure it was tiny (32 MB) but it was sufficient if you just wanted to save your game. You could get a larger memory stick for cheaper than $40 as well, IIRC I bought a 256 MB stick shortly after PSP launch for $30. Finally, game prices were nowhere near $60. I remember there was some backlash when it was announced that GTA would cost $50 because PSP games to that point had only retailed for up to $40. And I also want to say the Mega Man games were only $30 at launch. EDIT: I confirmed MMPU's launch price was $30 by checking a wayback machine archive of gamespot.com from early 2006. (Can't find a working archive that shows MHX but I'm fairly certain that launched for $30 as well)

Last edited:

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
I never played this one or Maverick Hunter X but I certainly want to.

It's a real shame neither game has been released on modern platforms.

I just hope the succes of the Battle Network collection means Capcom will continue to greenlight remasters of the rest of the Mega Man franchise.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, that was actually just part of a larger post I had made about future Mega Man collections. One of them was a Legacy Collection 3 that has the missing classic stuff (the five Game Boy games, Mega Man & Bass, perhaps even The Wily Wars and Street Fighter X Mega Man).

I hate that SFxMega Man wasn't officially released for consoles. Maybe one day.

Add color options to the Game Boy games, which they were developing for GBA alongside the old Anniversary Collection but later cancelled, and that'd be a nice $30 bundle.

Screens of that cancelled collection: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/game/1106/mega-man-anniversary-collection-gba-game-boy-advance

I read that the Game Boy masters were lost or destroyed, which is why Capcom were unable to release that collection. I'm assuming it's true, since there's no reason not to release such a collection otherwise.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i never got to play it. hopefully Capcom will tie up their loose ends with another MM collection, would be weird to market though

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil

- Xtreme 1-2
- Soccer
- Battle & Chase
- Battle Chip Challenge
This is a lovely idea.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

- Xtreme 1-2
- Soccer
- Battle & Chase
- Battle Chip Challenge

forgot about Network Transmission definitely one on my bucket list.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
The original Mega Man is a classic... but it's also kinda bullshit. The level design is all over the place, and is very frustrating. If it weren't for the rewind feature of the legacy collection, I would simply not be wasting my time with this game.

Wait, was a rewind feature added? I don't remember it being a thing at launch, and it's definitely not a thing for the MMX and MM Zero collections.

Oct 26, 2017
I never played this despite wanting to. I did play Maverick Hunter X, which may as well be its sibling title. Also great.

The online service actually survived until late last year. Then when it did get shut down fans preserved the entirety of the custom level catalogue.

Oh cool. My PSP's battery has died and I'm probably never picking up the game again, but if anyone can get online with it I think the level was called Eight Way Run.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
I wish I liked Powered Up more, played it for the first time a few weeks ago and I ended upq not really enjoying it a whole lot. In basically every measure it's a fantastic remake but there's just something off about the controls that makes it feel a lot worse to play than the original or Wily Wars imo.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I got to be honest with you, seems like a great game but couldn't stand the presentation of Powered Up.

Game was a lil too cute for me. Kind of had sort of a weird Mega Man babies thing going on.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Oh jeez, I could never.

Every single classic Mega Man is better than MM1.

MM9 made me realize i just like jumping, shooting and putting my muscle memory to the test. before that i'd be like yeah MM1 sucked the most

not a 1:1 comparison but i went through the same thing with SMB1 when i got older

i do have my particular likes about MM4 - 8 (well, 7 can go pound sand) but not sure if i'll ever fire up those again

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
MM9 made me realize i just like jumping, shooting and putting my muscle memory to the test. before that i'd be like yeah MM1 sucked the most

not a 1:1 comparison but i went through the same thing with SMB1 when i got older

i do have my particular likes about MM4 - 8 (well, 7 can go pound sand) but not sure if i'll ever fire up those again

I adore 5. Some of my favorite level themes and bosses in the series. Star Man is such a cool level.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
MMPU was awesome! One of the top games on PSP for sure. I loved the remixed stages and being able to play as all the robot masters and other unlockable characters. The challenge mode stages were insanely good as well.

Nothing about this is accurate. PSP launched for $249.99 USD and had a memory stick packed in. Sure it was tiny (32 MB) but it was sufficient if you just wanted to save your game. You could get a larger memory stick for cheaper than $40 as well, IIRC I bought a 256 MB stick shortly after PSP launch for $30. Finally, game prices were nowhere near $60. I remember there was some backlash when it was announced that GTA would cost $50 because PSP games to that point had only retailed for up to $40. And I also want to say the Mega Man games were only $30 at launch. EDIT: I confirmed MMPU's launch price was $30 by checking a wayback machine archive of gamespot.com from early 2006. (Can't find a working archive that shows MHX but I'm fairly certain that launched for $30 as well)
I appreciate the corrections as I was going off of memory which is always asking for trouble, but it doesn't change my point that Capcom placed the most absurd, unrealistic, and simply ignorant expectations on MMPU and MHX

So approximately 350.00 paywall after sales taxes to play a remake of Mega Man 1 and/or MMX1, and Capcom was basing interest on the remakes on how many people would drop that much money at the first few months of release. My point was Capcom was basing their expectations on MMPU and MHX success around people dumping money on a brand new system that had no identity at that point in the handheld market that was decidedly Nintendo's backyard, one game was another Mega Man X title in a series that was still reeling from the stink of X7 and mediocrity of X8, and the other was a chibi version of MM1 and that artstyle has always had trouble gaining popularity among the general gaming public

It's like basing Wario's popularity on how well his Virtual Boy game sold

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I hate that SFxMega Man wasn't officially released for consoles. Maybe one day.

I read that the Game Boy masters were lost or destroyed, which is why Capcom were unable to release that collection. I'm assuming it's true, since there's no reason not to release such a collection otherwise.
I asked a Capcom dev many years ago right when it was cancelled and he assured me Capcom still had all the source code. Whatever reason it was cancelled wasn't that. Besides, it's all assembly anyway, you don't really need the source to edit it as much as you think.

Son of TV

Jun 17, 2021
Oh cool. My PSP's battery has died and I'm probably never picking up the game again, but if anyone can get online with it I think the level was called Eight Way Run.

PSP works fine without a battery, just plugged into the wall with the charger.
Just FYI in case you thought the dead battery meant you couldn't play the game.

Starsunder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The graphics and animations are great, playing as other characters is fun, and the challenge mode makes the most of having all those characters. It's also great that, at least as of very recently, the server for downloading user-made levels was still up.

As a strictly Mega Man experience, though, I prefer the original's physics and how the Buster works. The original music is also better.

I agree with this. I love powered up, but the og still plays amazingly well to this day. And yes, MM1 soundtrack is a banger start to finish