Aug 26, 2019
I have lived at the same house for several years now but since this Summer I have been seeing these really weird insects that I have never seen before. Before anyone asks, I don't have any pics. But I've seen a few very large looking beetles, a giant ass spider, flies that look like they're on steroids. I'm not sure what's going on

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you live an area that is being affected by climate change that is probably why. Spring comes earlier, summer runs longer and winter doesn't get as cold in some areas already and its affecting bugs.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I've been seeing these Lanternflys everywhere the past few months, after never seeing them before. They apparently just started showing up the last few years, after being an Asia-only thing before. They are huge, leave a huge mess then squashed, and ruin everything
spotted-lanternfly.jpg

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I was in Fl a few weeks ago. You haven't lived until you've encountered a Palmetto Bug.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been seeing these Lanternflys everywhere the past few months, after never seeing them before. They apparently just started showing up the last few years, after being an Asia-only thing before. They are huge, leave a huge mess then squashed, and ruin everything
spotted-lanternfly.jpg

that's gorgeous though

and don't forget there are many species of bug that gestate in weird cycles sometimes dormant for many years- cicadas being the most well known example.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
I've suddenly started seeing more and more little lizards running around outside. I couldn't remember the last time I saw one around the house.

Also one time a year or so ago, I saw a giant salamander. You can really notice climate change from a couple years ago if you pay attention to details like that.

We had a huge amount of some water beetle cockroach thing extinction event a couple of years ago as well. It even made the news because everyone was getting like thousands of dead roaches in their yards. Apparently they're some kind of bug that only comes up from the ground when there is no water and they die soon after. Oddly enough frogs disappeared a while ago and recently made a comeback.

My guess is because we had a good 2 rain years.

Then after that the birds started coming in droves. Now we have dozens of little (apparently) pine siskins, multiple groups of doves and sparrows, crows, etc.

It's been wild.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
The difference in insect life is definitely one of the evident signs of climate change I've personally noticed.

I think pesticides are also a huge components. For some bugs, they are moving into other places (which can also be seen with marine life, lile sharks, whales, and dolphins showing up in atypical places), but these's a lot less of a lot of them since they are dying off from pesticides :/ Bees get it bad enough, between CCD, idiots burning down beekeeper hives because "ahhhhh bees!!!!", and temperatures changing, they also pollenate stuff that's poison to them :(

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
spotted-lanternfly.jpg
Oooh, pretty!
Here's some I shot:

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Is this what you are seeing?
images

I had never in my 30 years seen one of these things, and then about 4 or 5 years ago they just exploded and now they are every where.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I think pesticides are also a huge components. For some bugs, they are moving into other places (which can also be seen with marine life, lile sharks, whales, and dolphins showing up in atypical places), but these's a lot less of a lot of them since they are dying off from pesticides :/ Bees get it bad enough, between CCD, idiots burning down beekeeper hives because "ahhhhh bees!!!!", and temperatures changing, they also pollenate stuff that's poison to them :(

In my case, it's lightning bugs. I grew up in central Wisconsin where there were no lightning bugs 20+ years ago, and traveled 200 miles south to Iowa every summer to see family - where there were ample lightning bugs. Now I see them in Wisconsin all the time.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I saw a new insect today and it was so strange! A red and black beetle-like insect with hard skin. It flied on my shirt and when I hit it, the insects body sounded like a tiny iron thing! It wasn't that big, but the sound after hitting it was loud.

JetBazooka

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
I have lived at the same house for several years now but since this Summer I have been seeing these really weird insects that I have never seen before. Before anyone asks, I don't have any pics. But I've seen a few very large looking beetles, a giant ass spider, flies that look like they're on steroids. I'm not sure what's going on
Welcome to Jumanji!

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
At least Lightning bugs are coming back.

Wish we had those on the west coast! Would be neat to see at night. Nah, night/dusk is just time for crickets, mosquitoes, and termites/carpenter ants growing wings :/

I'm glad my neighborhood have lots of bats around though. Those little guys are loud when hunting!