Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tag yourself I'm "thought for sure this was going to be about Lokix"

new-pokemon-lokix-v0-lJ4zK47mYpfODXYAZSR4HlhemFzCndL5d0EFICSlxCA.png

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Every time I see a Kamen Rider clip I go "oh this looks sick I should watch it" and then don't.

What are the recommended starting points for newcomers? I hear good things about Black and the bits of it I've seen look pretty charming in that late 70s/80s sci fi practical effectish sort of way.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I see a Kamen Rider clip I go "oh this looks sick I should watch it" and then don't.

What are the recommended starting points for newcomers? I hear good things about Black and the bits of it I've seen look pretty charming in that late 70s/80s sci fi practical effectish sort of way.
Zero One is amazing and on free streaming services.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

Bear in mind that there are at least two distinct eras of Kamen Rider. Kamen Rider Black was one of the last of the original showa era, which was more continuous and didn't really have distinct themes, just different heroes that follow roughly the same pattern. Then after that you get into more modern Kamen Rider which are more distinct and self-contained entities and often have their own prominent gimmicks.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I started with Fourze, which is Breakfast Club by way of kicking monsters in the face.

It really depends on what you want since every Kamen Rider season is a new entity and they shift in tone and style often. My follow-up to Fourze was Kamen Rider Kuuga, which is a suspense/horror driven affair about the latest Kamen Rider fighting monster serial killers and Kamen Rider Build which took place in a dystopic Japan divided into three countries where the titular Riders were essentially walking WMDs in a cold war turning hot.

I had Fourze/Kuuga/Build described as embodying the three eras of Kamen Rider since its revival in 2000 and all three shows were distinct from one another.

I'd actually say that Kamen Rider was pretty buggy when it first came out.
05d.jpg