Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
January 29th Update: Giveaway with RDR1, RDR2, and SteamWorld Heist

As I have become a cowboy I am now giving away cowboy games. Thanks.

-----

As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a headless suit. To me, being a suit was better than being President of the United States. Even before I first wandered into the chatroom for an after-school troll, I knew what I wanted for my avatar.

I have always taken this form. Back in the bad old days I used imagery specifically from Elite Beat Agents. I made this in Paint based on a few different sprite rips and cleaned it up one pixel at a time.

d806ae76-ffe5-4afb-86otjul.png

But over time I moved away from my EBA origins. I have no artistic talent to speak of — I struggle very much with pen and pencil, digital or otherwise. But wanting something truly original, I made something all myself. It looked terrible, but it was my own work and I was proud of that.

ee6be876-4a25-49ee-a3akj40.png

But I knew it could be better. Over the next few months I saved to properly pay an artist to redraw the art from scratch with some actual talent. I started with an artist here I really admired who produced a sketch for me to use as a basis going forward.

e8080e7f-78cf-4e73-afqj99.jpeg

Then I found an artist on Twitter who I asked to redraw it however they wanted and I would pay them regardless of the result. She returned me this, which I wore briefly as my first professionally drawn avatar.

44e0807b-8519-4254-bwgkfr.jpeg

But I didn't love the posture and wanted something a little more tradmasc, so I found a fledgling artist who I was impressed with specifically because of how they drew men's fashion. I approached them with my concept and they brought back the first "perfect" version of the avatar, which I wore from then on. To a lot of people on the internet, this is what I look like. This is Finale Fireworker.

22ab080f-6f17-432a-8f1ojk0.png

c8962a02-b96f-40c4-b71skeu.png

But mid-2019 to mid-2020 was a rough time for me. I went through a lot of things that really pushed me to the brink of my personal fortitude. Without paying too much mind to the diversion, I wasn't sure if I was going to make it. But I did. And as I worked through this stuff, I felt like it was time for a change. It was time to switch out of the suit — at least for a while — and in to business casual. A very talented friend of mine redrew my avatar yet again as a gift into the shirt and suspenders I wear to today.

bluebg7sk2l.png

My avatar, my consistent face online, has followed me through many formative years of my life. It is how I've presented and how I've been perceived for close to 10 years. At no point in this continuum have I ever looked any different online and I never doubted what I looked like. This was me.

Enter @SuccessfulStra3, a random account that showed up on my timeline as a promoted tweet: https://twitter.com/successfulstra3?s=21

They are a mundane account. They have 7,000 followers and mostly tweet vague affirmations and aspirations about "business" and "doing business." But their avatar is... me.

eb5ded1c-bca1-4a8d-9ltkzc.jpeg

I know logically that this is not really me. I am not a creative genius. It is very normal and natural that someone else would have come up with this idea at some point. The imagery probably occurred to them just as easily as it occurred to me. I do not believe they stole it from me or that my insignificant existence had any influence on this equally insignificant Twitter account.

And yet I feel... compromised. To look on my own image and see not myself has thrust me coldly in to the reflecting pool. What do I do now? Who am I? If someone else can be me, who was I ever? Can I still be me knowing that someone else is too?

I have seen my doppelgänger. I rehearsed this moment so many times in my head. I knew that if I faced them with imperfect courage I would end up trapped in the Black Lodge — maybe forever. And now that they are here I know I have failed this test of character. By virtue of their existence, my own existence has ceased.

Really makes you think. Maybe I should reinvent myself.

Last edited:

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
If it makes you feel any better at a glance on mobile your avatar looks like a fist extended for a fist bump to me.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I feel that honestly. I know my profile picture is nothing really special, seeing as how it's made from a popular rage comic character, but my profile picture, made by a friend like 7 years ago is special along with my online name (and by special, I mean I'm just to lazy to come up with a new online identity and I like this one anyway) but any time I see a person with a Cereal name and a picture with the rage comic I always do a double take

Oct 25, 2017
there's someone here who has a username that resembles my actual name and uses a very me kind of avatar choice and it weirds me out every time i see them
if one of my friends saw their account they would assume it was me
it's weird, feels like they're prancing around the place wearing my face
i dont know if we should be friends or if we should fight

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Makes me think of the avatar I used to use on the Adult Swim message boards, which was something like this.

tumblr_o6j7q2lUhr1sbqrlmo4_250.png

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If I find anyone with my avatar I'll be elated and ask them for the original file as I've long lost it and it's impossible to find it in Pixiv

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Someone has a blob emote like mine but without the bearness or mouth

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen anyone else with an avatar that's Donkey Kong as a Commodore and I seriously doubt I ever will so I've probably dodged that bullet.

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
Ton of people on this site stole my avatar. Go be your own person!

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favourite avatars I've had in the past (I burn through them too quickly) was Black Frost from Shin Megami Tensei drawn like Frost Ace.

There is another member on the site with a single post using that same avatar and now I can never go back.

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
I remember getting some flak at the old site from other members because a junior was stirring some shit up with the name JiveTurkey. That was a fun week.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Mine is my favorite album, every time I see it it just reminds me how good music can be when emotions are genuinely expressed

81LA9tGv6aL._SL1500_.jpg

But I may be changing it to this

chevelleniratiascd.jpg

Upcoming album I am most excited for and I rarely care about new music. There just may be a time when you want to change your favorite avatar

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Ngl, very impressed by your rationale and the history of your avatars. Thanks for sharing :)

As for the problem - looks like the account was made in 2020 and it's so similar that it's not outside the realm of possibility that you inspired the artist who made it.
So, if anything, someone out there saw what you were doing and wanted to imitate you. Which is flattering!

I get what you mean tho, it feels weirdly invasive. I made up a weird anime-inspired username back in the day and once found someone else using it. It was strange and I felt like it could affect my reputation, but at the end of the day nothing came of it.

Keep doing you and keep doing the suit. I think it lends itself well to you and the story behind it is wonderful. Nothing this other user can do will take that away from you :)

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
never seen anybody with the original version of my avatar. my current avatar has been edited two times by people here so i would be upset if anybody stole it.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
There used to be a lot fewer platypus or hippo adjacent users on this/oldplace. I feel you tho OP. My avatar is the only piece of digital art I've ever done that I was proud of, so I think if I saw someone else rocking a hippo with a fake beak avatar, I'd be taken aback. I think my first instinct would probably be to befriend the only other person to have such excellent taste tho.

Of course, there's always the evil twin angle to be wary of... but maybe I'm actually the evil one? Hold on I gotta go lie down

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
I've always liked your avatars, OP. Since the neogaf days. You always stuck out on that forum (and this one) for me.

EDIT: my favorite one is the 1st pic in the OP

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Avatar" is such a funny word to use for account/member pics. It sort of rests in the same ballpark as forum sigs to me.

-Speely

Oct 27, 2017
I'm bothered that there's a Moonsault Slayer in regards to Dark Souls content on YT. It's the title of someone's podcast or something. I mean, my name isn't original as it comes from Tekken but it's been mine since 99 or 2000 on Tekken Zaibatsu damnit!