• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

"A racist attack nearly left me without an eye," actor Marius Makon posted on Twitter. "Racism will never defeat us, love, love and love."

Makon, who was born in Cameroon and is also known as Elton Prince, was referring to a Saturday assault in Madrid that left him bruised and bloodied.

According to a Facebook post by Makon, the actor and his friends had stepped up to order coffee early Saturday when a couple approached him.

"I don't want black people in this place or in front of me," the woman, 33, reportedly said. Makon wrote that he tried to de-escalate the situation, telling her, "I will only be here for a moment and then I'm leaving. I don't have any interest in staying near you for long."

The woman then reportedly called him a "black piece of s---." When he asked her to calm down, he wrote, she began attacking him with a glass bottle. She hit him twice on the head, Makon said, causing a cut and other injuries that required seven stitches.

"I'm white," she allegedly said. "I can kill you and nothing will happen."

The owners of the restaurant intervened and called police. When authorities arrived, they briefly detained the woman but released her after she gave a statement. The Spanish Immigration and Refugee Support Network has urged Madrid prosecutors to investigate the incident as a hate crime.

About 1 million people of African origin live in Spain, and many say racism is a near-daily reality. In interviews conducted by the Spanish newspaper El Pais, members of the black community in Spain reported being told such things as "Go back to your … country," "I don't rent apartments to people like you," "If you shower, do you lose your color?" and "Your cousins are monkeys."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...allegedly-tells-man-she-hit-with-beer-bottle/

Disgusting that she felt she could say such a thing and that the cops didn't arrest her for assault/racism.

Mod Edit:

Does anywhere say if the woman is now a Spanish citizen or just travelling?

Soon after, the woman, 33 years old and a national of El Salvador, was arrested. After taking the statement from the agents, it will go to court in the next few hours, a spokeswoman for the Police Headquarters of Madrid has detailed to Europa Press.

Once the facts are known, the Spanish Network of Immigration and Refugee Aid has filed a complaint with the Provincial Prosecutor's Office of Madrid as well as with the special hate crimes as a result of the acts committed against the actor.

They say that in addition to hurting and insulting him in a racist manner, the alleged aggressor "acted at all times seeking provocation and reaction on the part of the assaulted, who did not present any reaction."

The Network has asked the Office of the Prosecutor to proceed with the imputation of the crimes of injuries with the highly qualified aggravation contained in article 22.4 of the Criminal Code as well as the crimes of Threats (articles 169 and 170) together with the specific offense of hate contained in Article 510 of the Criminal Code, considering that both the threats and the previous statements issued by the alleged aggressor, who stated that he did not want to see "blacks in the premises" and "other assertions and death threats are evidence of as the injury was an instrumental element to attack the actor because of his condition of Afro-descendant ".

In addition, the Spanish Immigration Network considers that this act requires an "immediate" institutional condemnation, for which it has urged the Municipality of Móstoles as well as the Government of Cristina Cifuentes "to adopt an immediate position and to appear in the cause as well as they show their condemnation for what happened. "

Last edited by a moderator:

FrequentFlyer

Banned
Dec 3, 2017

Deleted member 9145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This happened in Spain, some people have this false belief that Europe tends that it takes racism more seriously.

People saying that are hilarious

Europe is in many ways even further behind than the US in terms of racism

of course in other ways, they're light years ahead

the world fucking sucks lmao

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
That article conveniently ignores that despite the event taking place in Spain, the woman was from El Salvador. And she's been throughly reviled. You can kind of see her here:

ovQjGwo.png

As far as I'm concerned she should be thrown out of the country. We already have enough assholes as we are.

Great job by the authorities I see.
That tends to be the case with violence resulting in minor injuries. Jail time before a conviction is not something very occurrent.

Last edited:

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck were the police thinking? Even if they don't care about racism, this is an assault as well. Those cops needs to be fired.

FrequentFlyer

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Geez, cops just let her go? I hate this world.
What the fuck were the police thinking? Even if they don't care about racism, this is an assault as well. Those cops needs to be fired.
Cops are fucked there too it seems.
Please read.

That tends to be the case with violence resulting in minor injuries. Jail time before a conviction is not something very occurrent.
"Let her walk" does not mean she gets off scott free. I'd assume the statements will be sent to the prosecutor who decides to start court proceedings. Custody is only a thing for certain crimes and especcially risk of flight/re-offense.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I mean this is a country that came out of fascism later than most in Europe. That's the only explanation I can fathom for such fear corruption and racism from the police in this story, let alone the people who actually committed the act.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This happened in Spain, some people have this false belief that Europe tends that it takes racism more seriously.

Given the history of Europe the idea we don't have racism here is pretty thick.

Europe's so good at racism, we don't even need people to be of a different race, skin tone, ethnic group to be cunts.

That said we don't have a fully armed gang like the US police performing executions on the street, or a wholly corrupt for profit prison industrial complex. Yet.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely fucking mental, what the fuck is wrong with people.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I mean this is a country that came out of fascism later than most in Europe. That's the only explanation I can fathom for such fear corruption and racism from the police in this story, let alone the people who actually committed the act.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/6813842/

If its any similar how it is in Germany, you are detained, police takes your statement, you are free to go while the prosecution is preparing court files and then you wait till the court date.

I read your post and was going to reply to it. Not sure how things are where you live but assault means a night in jail in most parts of the world.

At least not in Germany. If I hit someone on the street, police takes me into custody, waits till they have time to take my statement after taking the statement of the victim and then I am free to go unless this happens (sorry, its German):

https://dejure.org/gesetze/StPO/112.html

If I am not drunk, I wouldnt have to spend the night in jail.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
its well known spain is a pretty racist country
These posts are appropriate, because the latest Eurobarometer just came out and... well... judge yourselves.

E6IBy92.png

Spain has some issues with racism that need to be dealt with, but people abroad keep forming their opinions based on sensational stories and skewed reporting. In reality Spain is *by far* one of the most accepting countries in the EU, and by extension, the western hemisphere. Ugly football fans and the like are not representative at all.

This particular incident caused quite a bit of a stir.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sometimes, I have to wonder how bad racism is toward black people in Canada compared to the US and Europe. You always hear about how bad black people have it in the US or Europe, but what about Canada? I know our biggest racism problem is with natives (and probably muslims too), but what about blacks?

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this woman the official spokesperson for all of Spain? That is what it seems like from many of the first replies in here.

If there is anything I hate more than hyperbole on the internet, it's posting definitive statements without empirical data to back them up. One piece of shit person that deserves to be lambasted and dealt with should not be extrapolated to be representative of a whole country unless you can do better than a single sentence answer that amounts to little more than "I feel this about Spain".

Thank goodness FP took the time to try and explain what has happened here and also provide some statistical data on the Spanish population and attitudes. Football yobs and racists might make headlines but be careful about extrapolating them to be representative of a whole country. A few pretty unsavory generalising remarks in the first few posts in here.

Not as unsavory as this woman's behavior in violence and what she said, but not too clever nonetheless. Just because one person says something on a forum doesn't mean you have to quote them and say "this sounds good I'm going to believe it too". Sometimes it's okay to ask for a bit more evidence and that doesn't mean you are now racist for daring to question someone who offers up nothing more in depth than "Spain is a racist country and one of the worst in Europe". Claims like that should require to be substantiated when possible, otherwise you're doing a good job of making SpainEra feel pretty unwelcome.

Last edited:

Ponn

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No coffee shop is safe for black people in the world. This is just crazy.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
We do have a huge problem with racism in Spain, especially institutional racism. In some instances it's even worse than in the USA because POC are always perceived as "not being from here", like all of them were immigrants even though:

- A lot of them were born here, so they're 100% Spanish
- A big deal of African descendants here are from Equatorial Guinea, which was a colony for centuries and even a Spanish province up until relatively recently (like 50 years ago?)

Black people in particular are very often disingenuously asked "where are you from?" not giving answers like "I'm from Madrid" or "I'm from Barcelona" any validity. And let's not get into the police treatment which is exactly that but amplified, they just don't expect POC having Spanish ID cards (which means they were born here or acquired nationality later) and always make a ruckus expecting them to be in irregular situation here.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spain can get pretty racist when it wants to, Madrid has violent racist people while anything north of León got that "Im totally cool with you...and your gipsy hair" lefty racism.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Spain can get pretty racist when it wants to, Madrid has violent racist people while anything north of León got that "Im totally cool with you...and your gipsy hair" lefty racism.
I'd say that the biggest difference between the kind of racism you can find in America and the one you can usually see in Europe is that European racists are upfront about it. They don't hide it, so it's extremely visible. There's one huge exception in Spain, and it's how well Basque Country "progressives" hide their vehement dislike towards gipsies and North Africans. Madrid and Barcelona get a lot of bad press on account of being large metropolises with huge amounts of immigration, but they are far more accepting than some quaint places up North.

If any, this particular incident showed the true colours of some false lefties who rushed to blame the stereotypical racist Spaniard when it was first reported, only to bail out when it was known that the agressor was a woman from El Salvador instead of the expected old white Spanish male. It was an embarrassment of riches. Same with the recent incidents in Lavapies.

Lets analyse the words of the lady here.

"I don't want black people in this place or in front of me," the woman, 33, reportedly said.

Whenever you make a statement like that you should elaborate why. Was the person in question being annoying, causing trouble? This goes for anyone, the color of your skin really makes no difference and its exactly why this is a dumb racist remark, let alone that the woman isn't explaining why in the first place. Imagine if you replace ''black'' with ''white'' and the shock that would send. But nah, when its about black folk people like this woman think its okay. I really despise that fake outrage mentality. Getting offended over a person's color.

Makon wrote that he tried to de-escalate the situation, telling her, "I will only be here for a moment and then I'm leaving. I don't have any interest in staying near you for long."

Damn commendable that Makon kept his cool and was able to say that. Really the most mature and educated way to go at it. Ofcourse those who don't understand etiquette (or hell: maturity) don't know how to react to that in anything but the most moronic way possible: Which is hurling insults.

The woman then reportedly called him a "black piece of s---."

Yeah ofc! Makon is a POS because he dared to go against your initial dumbass comment and he did so in the most polite way possible. This is why i call this kind of reaction offensism - These people don't understand how offensive they are when they try to pick a fight, yet overreact completely when the person they are attacking isn't hurling coarse language back, but rather, tries to deliver a toned down response. As if these people have fuck all idea on how offensive their initial comment was in the first place, and too immature to have any sense of self-reflection applied to their words. Oh dear, a black guy talked back to you. Truly the POS he is because he did what sensible people would do. -_-.

Must be nice living in a bubble where you never run into people of other colors and you feel threatened by their existence. Expect nothing of it is grounded in reality. At this point, the lady is literally running into white trash territory.

When he asked her to calm down, he wrote, she began attacking him with a glass bottle.

Yep, that's what happens when your initial cunning remark is met by someone who verbally out-talks you with reason. And fragile ego's we can't have, so to war we go :/. You don't have to draw attention upon yourself with your racist views on life.

She hit him twice on the head, Makon said, causing a cut and other injuries that required seven stitches.
"I'm white," she allegedly said. "I can kill you and nothing will happen."

Oh how superior we feel. Some people never grow past the everything or nothing. If anything, this is one of those things why world peace is nothing but a long term wish. These are people of our age generation, having views that are hardly tolerant by any measurement of the stick. This is why education is so important - We really need to get rid of that terrible stigma that black people are somehow worse on whatever plane you want to operate. It boggles me how this is still a fucking thing in our world.

The owners of the restaurant intervened and called police. When authorities arrived, they briefly detained the woman but released her after she gave a statement.

This reads like satire. Being a racist should not mean you get away from it just by releasing a statement. And what would it be? He was black - We understand ma'am, we will release you? Is that how it works in Spain? Seriously, aside from getting her white bum to the judge, i'd rather want to see these police officers been put under investigation aswell.

In interviews conducted by the Spanish newspaper El Pais, members of the black community in Spain reported being told such things as "Go back to your … country,"

That (overused) statement is so dumb on so many levels. Sadly its also a statement thrown here towards refugees, and i don't mean those refugees that cause trouble, but rather, those that actively try to rebuild their lives :/

"I don't rent apartments to people like you,"

And as usual no basis in reality. This statement would only make ever sense when the applicant is subject to causing trouble. The thing is: That can be anyone regardless of color, race and gender. Which should tell you how dumb this statement is.

"If you shower, do you lose your color?"

... That's no dumber then asking to them: ''If you take a shit, is your poop white like you?''. I can imagine that people who state things like the bolded are also offended by the colour of their crap. Its brown/black after all, can't have that! Seriously a few braincells died reading this question.

and "Your cousins are monkeys."

Really takes the cake on stupidity, this one, and you won't find a better highlight as to how uneducated these folks are. We all stem from monkey's, its called evolution. Perhaps read a book every now and then on it. Certainly, they will never aspire to become World Citizens, and meet (and respect) all those other cultures, all these other races, all these other gender's. All these people do is limit themselves from gaining knowledge (or common sense). Its self-hurt by definition.

It should go without saying that the de-escalation was a good thing. It would have been effective against anyone not overreactin' which this woman clearly was doing.

OP
OP
MilesQ

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
The El Pais link is recommended reading for what black people face in their day to day in Spain.

Nayr, along with Moha, Paula and Rubén, is a young Spaniard of African descent. "Go back to your fucking country," "I don't rent apartments to people like you," "If you shower do you lose your color?" "Is that your mom or your nanny?" "Come with me, I'll give you ten bucks," "You can't come in," "Your cousins are monkeys."

"The fact that you're black makes you live in a different reality to other Spaniards," says Moha Gerehou, a 24-year-old journalist and president of anti-racism NGO SOS Racismo in Madrid. Despite the fact that he was born in Spain, Gerehou says he has faced discrimination on many occasions.

"The racism in Spain is structural," says Gerehou.

For Macedo, racism lies in the small details and daily obstacles. For example, one of her professors asked: "What's a girl as black as you doing in university? Perhaps you should look for a husband because you shouldn't be here.'"

Napi has felt discrimination while hunting for an apartment. "Either I've had really bad luck, or this is a racist society," says the young student.

There's also a video at the link.

https://elpais.com/elpais/2017/01/11/inenglish/1484151919_267996.html

Apr 1, 2018
User Banned (5 Days): Offensive generalisation. Member still in junior phase.
These posts are appropriate, because the latest Eurobarometer just came out and... well... judge yourselves.

E6IBy92.png

Spain has some issues with racism that need to be dealt with, but people abroad keep forming their opinions based on sensational stories and skewed reporting. In reality Spain is *by far* one of the most accepting countries in the EU, and by extension, the western hemisphere. Ugly football fans and the like are not representative at all.

This particular incident caused quite a bit of a stir.
As much as I would like to say you're right, you might be mistaken. Spain has a long tradition of reconquistas, pillaging other continents and Muslim genocides, to kill members of another race is in their culture.

2891bb92bce1db78c8e46cf335d996275424fa612f8fe28de695850b6b030fa7.jpg

FrequentFlyer

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
The owners of the restaurant intervened and called police. When authorities arrived, they briefly detained the woman but released her after she gave a statement.

This reads like satire. Being a racist should not mean you get away from it just by releasing a statement. And what would it be? He was black - We understand ma'am, we will release you? Is that how it works in Spain? Seriously, aside from getting her white bum to the judge, i'd rather want to see these police officers been put under investigation aswell.
You spend a lot of time writing so much text but you don't manage to actually read through the thread and realize that in most of europe you only get in custody if you pose an immediate risk of flight/re-offense. She is not "getting away" with anything. Prosecution will most likely collect the statements(victim, perpetrator, witnesses) and then start court proceedings.

Last edited:

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anywhere say if the woman is now a Spanish citizen or just travelling?

Soon after, the woman, 33 years old and a national of El Salvador, was arrested. After taking the statement from the agents, it will go to court in the next few hours, a spokeswoman for the Police Headquarters of Madrid has detailed to Europa Press.

The WP would also have done a better job of reporting if it properly translated this and put it in their article

Once the facts are known, the Spanish Network of Immigration and Refugee Aid has filed a complaint with the Provincial Prosecutor's Office of Madrid as well as with the special hate crimes as a result of the acts committed against the actor.

They say that in addition to hurting and insulting him in a racist manner, the alleged aggressor "acted at all times seeking provocation and reaction on the part of the assaulted, who did not present any reaction."

The Network has asked the Office of the Prosecutor to proceed with the imputation of the crimes of injuries with the highly qualified aggravation contained in article 22.4 of the Criminal Code as well as the crimes of Threats (articles 169 and 170) together with the specific offense of hate contained in Article 510 of the Criminal Code, considering that both the threats and the previous statements issued by the alleged aggressor, who stated that he did not want to see "blacks in the premises" and "other assertions and death threats are evidence of as the injury was an instrumental element to attack the actor because of his condition of Afro-descendant ".

In addition, the Spanish Immigration Network considers that this act requires an "immediate" institutional condemnation, for which it has urged the Municipality of Móstoles as well as the Government of Cristina Cifuentes "to adopt an immediate position and to appear in the cause as well as they show their condemnation for what happened. "

Rather than lead people on the internet to saying if you do things like this in Spain nothing happens!. The start of this topic is littered with posts saying she's basically been let off, which isn't true at all, because the WP article doesn't properly detail the procedures of court.

Erik Twice

Nov 2, 2017
its well known spain is a pretty racist country
Spain is not uniquely, nor particularly racist. And this kind of events are nowhere common, it actually surprised me because assaulting someone not just in public but in a bar is not a common turn of events. The article also mentions the perpetrator is not Spanish herself.

I can't help but notice that English-speaking media tends to paint Spain as being uniquely racist. This sounds odd, but the Anglosphere has a long history of portraying Spain as being uniquely backwards, barbaric or otherwise uncivilized for centuries. Painting Spain is uniquely racist is, I think, a continuation of this trend.

After all, you don't see the same comments being made about other countries despite those countries having fascist parties in their parliament when Spain doesn't even have them as a residual force. No party in Spain has campaigned to "keep the foreigners out", there's no TV channel nor newspaper that spouts racist rethoric like Bild or the Daily Mail do. There's no significant Neonazi contigent, unlike in Austria, and there have been no mass violence related to inmigration, like there was in France.

Wow ... cops just let her walk, huh? What the hell could her statement have said?
She simply isn't being detained, as there's no reason for her to be held in a cell until her trial. And, like the article says, the police encouraged the victim to file a report and did what was on their hands to provide for the victim.

Chances are she'll be charged as assault with blunt weapon, which is a serious crime, and comitting a hate crime. But it will be a prosecutor who does that, not a policeman. In the meanwhile, as there's no risk of fleeing or reiteration, she hasn't been kept in police custody as it should by Spanish procedure and law.