L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
By which I mean shmups which are mixed in with other genres. I can't think of any off the top of my head that are similarly unconventional that don't fall into these sort of categories, but I'd welcome people posting them. Here's some to start us off:

Shmup + fighting:

Senko no Ronde

271200-senko-no-rondeilk92.jpg

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Change Air Blade

757176-change-air-blabrk6t.png

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Twinkle Star Sprites

671097-twinkle-star-s6ekf2.png

- YouTube

Shmup + racing:

Kingdom Grand Prix

675541-kingdom-grandpaxkpx.png

- YouTube

Shmup + action-adventure:

Sigma Star Saga

150586-sigma-star-sagvqkwj.png

150587-sigma-star-sag5pj4j.png

- YouTube

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Downwell. One of the best Shoot em Downs around.

ZeroRanger may look like a very traditional shooter at first glance but it has many twist and turns the deeper in you get that stray way off convention.

Oct 27, 2017
Sky Racket is a good one - part shmup, part break out! Good soundtrack, too.

skyracket.com

Sky Racket

Flying over whimsical worlds filled with vivid colors, it’s just you, a stylish scarf, a laser tennis racket and a horde of fluffy enemies trying to blow you up back to the ground. Mixing the classic genres of Shoot ’em ups and block breakers, Sky Racket is the world’s first “Shmup Breaker”!

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I second buying Maiden and Spell. It's a great vs. Shmup game.

I would say there are also Shmup RTS games, where you control some kind of flying vehicle that also moves troops around. Herzog Zwei is actually one of the first RTS games (it predates Dune II). AirMech is another game that works like that.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
For shame!
Forgetting about about Knight in the Nightmare!
It's a strategy-shooter role-playing game,
on DS and PSP

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Surprised no one has mentioned Undertale (which is kind of like a point & click adventure game with the visuals of a JRPG and a shmup mini-game as part of combat).

Oct 27, 2017
The Red Star is maybe my favorite shmup hybrid. Bullet hell brawler and one of the better brawlers I've ever played, so it scratches two hard-to-reach itches simultaneously. It's a sin how hard it is to play nowadays -- it's either a PS2 copy or getting it on a hacked PSP, as it was digital only.

Absolutely worth the effort, though.

For shame!
Forgetting about about Knight in the Nightmare!
It's a strategy-shooter role-playing game,
on DS and PSP

And coming soon to Switch, but for now only in Japan. Great game though.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
The Velocity games! They basically are shmups, but with scoring/grading tied to short, contained stages. Also I recall there not really being power ups or anything, you just have your basic toolkit and that's what you use. And the teleport mechanic is cool. More about mastering a bunch of short sequences vs. mastering an entire game, which to me was way more approachable and compelling than most other games in this category.

EDIT: Just looked at some footage (it's been years), and in some ways the Velocity games are more like racers than shmups. But still vertical scrolling space ship games with shooting.

KenOD

Oct 25, 2017
NOISZ is a visual novel where the game play is a shmup, but it's rhythm based for when to attack.

There is also a mobile game called Ride Zero that is a rhythm tap game. Tap in time to block or reflect enemy shots in time to the music.

Galacide is a puzzle shmup where you both have to shoot at enemy waves and clear out puzzle pieces to get past. Side scroller.

For a horrizontal puzzle shmup. Dan! Da! Dan!

If you have a Mac, Pinblast over on itch.io is a pinball shmup worth a look.

mtlspider

Oct 26, 2017
There's the Rtype Tactics PSP games.

And speaking of turn based strategy, this is also out for quite a while on steam: