WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Hundreds of students walk out of class and are marching to Stoneman Douglas High - Miami Herald

Hundreds of students from West Boca Raton High School walked out of class Tuesday morning and headed toward Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School to show solidarity with the students who lived through last week's horror-filled shooting rampage.

Livestream: https://www.cbsnews.com/live/video/...wmakers-to-consider-tougher-gun-control-laws/

They are better than I was in high school.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shit, good for them for keeping this up. Hope the nation-wide march materializes so we can all take part.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
I'm hopeful but scum run the country. Keep the snowball rolling even if it takes years.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Proud of the organizers, but I just feel like it's easy for people to dismiss walk outs as kids getting out of class. Having said that, I think that the kids have gone above and beyond in response to this shooting and I hope they stay on it. Always good to remind folks that you'll be the first time voters in 2018 or 2020.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it is wishful thinking but it feels like change is in the air. Like the last year woke people up.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it is wishful thinking but it feels like change is in the air. Like the last year woke people up.

It's scary to be hopeful. The White House has shown some wiggle on expanded background checks, but I bet that's all that'll happen, if anything. Just gotta keep that blue tide rolling through November.

Method

Oct 25, 2017
Proud of the organizers, but I just feel like it's easy for people to dismiss walk outs as kids getting out of class. Having said that, I think that the kids have gone above and beyond in response to this shooting and I hope they stay on it. Always good to remind folks that you'll be the first time voters in 2018 or 2020.
there's always going to be some excuse for why someone is doing something brave and good. in this case, the excuse FoxNews (et al) will use is the "kid's just wanted an excuse to cut class!" who cares what those people say at this point. what these kids are doing is hopeful and amazing

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised that GOP lawmakers haven't just come out and said, "Your lives aren't worth enough for restricting gun laws. Deal with it."

But seriously, I love that this is happening. It needs to happen more and more and in a bigger scale.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really hope this is the generation that has had enough of this shit and destroys the NRA. Disappointing that Gen X couldn't do it but we didn't have nearly as many school shootings when we were growing up.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
We know damn well that Trump can't take criticism ("he's a counter-puncher"), so look forward to a solid week of him degrading, taunting, and otherwise bullying the shit out of teenage shooting victims and their allies.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lazy millennials looking to cut class

There it is. I hope this was sarcasm.

Seeing the kids become active and actually equate NRA campaign donations with leadership's unwillingness to pass any kind of gun control whatsoever has been nice to see. You almost NEVER hear anyone talking about campaign finance issues outside of progressive outlets like TYT or among Bernie supporters. I hope this is just the spark that ignites the flames of revolution we so desperately need.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the generation that is going to dismantle the NRA to its very core and snuff that out as well.

Lets not forget the shooter was 19 years old. I'm hopeful this upcoming generation might be able to make changes in this country, but its not like they are 100% progressive and the massive propaganda campaign from the GOP in the USA can still affect these kids as they get older. But it is a very positive sign overall.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Gives me hope. Hope the staff stands behind in full support of these beautiful souls since they are now leading the way.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
The post-millennial generation being radically anti-gun because of growing up under a constant cloud of active shooter drills and news stories about dozens of deaths of their peers seems like a pretty major development. It's starting to feel like gun control will be a dominant issue among that generation in the same way that the millennials before them grew up with radically different views on LGBT issues than their parents, which led to massive change there.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
These kids can be the future. I think one thing we can look back on positively after the past few years is that the youth are very tuned in to all the bullshit that's been going on.

I'm only 25 and even when I was in Highschool I dont think anything like this would happen or did happen.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope this is the generation that has had enough of this shit and destroys the NRA. Disappointing that Gen X couldn't do it but we didn't have nearly as many school shootings when we were growing up.

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...366002/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

That fucking response by the NRA... Gotta love the NRA plays the victim and then immediately turns it into basically telling people to "Arm yourselves and fight back." Yep, that's right, immediately make it as vague as possible with the retort and promoting violence.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
The important thing is to not rest if and when we manage to change senate and congress control after this years elections. We have a bad habit of this.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Good. As long as they keep demonstrating, they will have the media's attention. And you're gonna need a lot of that to effect change.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...366002/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

That fucking response by the NRA... Gotta love the NRA plays the victim and then immediately turns it into basically telling people to "Arm yourselves and fight back." Yep, that's right, immediately make it as vague as possible with the retort and promoting violence.

It gives me hope to see pushback against the NRA even here in Kentucky (although Louisville is bluer than most areas in the state). Maybe if we keep fighting, things'll change for the better.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Wish we could get gun owners publicly laying down their guns in mass as a show of support and understanding.