Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Sega and Amplitude have delayed Humankind to August this year, it seems.

In a press release, Amplitude Studios has announced that it will be pushing Humankind out of its April release window in order to improve the so-called Civ killer in a variety of areas: Accessibility, Onboarding, Pacing, Balancing, Diplomacy, and AI.

www.vg247.com

Civilization-like game Humankind has been delayed to August

Sega and Amplitude Studios' latest PC strategy game Humankind – a rival to hit strategy game Civilization – has been delayed into August

They've also released a new trailer for the game:

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Take all the time you need. I really want to see this challenge Civ's dominance (even though I love Civ).

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a good idea to delay it if it needs extra polish when Civ 6 exists and is still pumping out content.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
Was looking forward to this game, but I guess if it's not ready it's not ready.

I expect they feel the need to make it very polished given it's competition.

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Humankind should be cancelled!

Oh, this is about a game, ok then. Hope it's good when it comes out.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I think most people expected this with how little has been said the last few months. But still, it's good that they're doing this. I'm glad Sega and Amplitude can give it the time the game needs, because there were some real issues to address in the last OpenDev.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Give 'em the time they need, looking forward to this game. This will be the first game I check out from them but people talking about it has me excited.

Orangedrew

Oct 27, 2017
Damn this one is a bummer! Been playing way too much Endless Legends in anticipation.

I'm sure it's for the best though, lack of any in depth or recent previews had me worried.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
Given their competition, I expect they felt the need to make it as polished as possible.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
I'm more optimistic with this delay compared to Cyberpunk considering that they don't have a bloated marketing team and unrealistic dev goals that resort to crunching.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Will check this out, love Civ, and it's good to have some competition in the space.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, had missed this announcement and just saw the changed date on the product page. Not unentirely unexpected as things had been pretty quiet.

Well, games like these tend to be pretty buggy so they might as well take their time with it. Really look forward to playing the final product, hopefully it will bring some fresh new ideas to "Civ".

Now, how's The Old World doing...

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just looked at some newer gameplay. It's still a bit clunky, but I love what they're doing and how they're expanding mechanics from Civ to make it deeper. The diplomancy is so much more nuanced with the grievances and relations improving/breaking down over time. Same with the amalgam cultures. Very good to see someone competent finally tackle the formula and not just dumb it down.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Played the demo when it was on Stadia and found it to be way more complicated than Civ. Hopefully they fix that as well at least when starting a new game. Dont need to push the player right into the deep end.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Huh, that actually looks pretty fun. Haven't heard of the game before... Is it supposed to be Civ, but without being married to existing civilizations? What sets it apart?

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
Huh, that actually looks pretty fun. Haven't heard of the game before... Is it supposed to be Civ, but without being married to existing civilizations? What sets it apart?
The cultures are the biggest difference. But there is 3d terrain. Combat is very different in a good way IMO. This game for me took everything that wasn't great about Civ and fixed thos things in my opinion. To get a good idea of the game you could watch the videos on their official youtube channel that have 'feature focus' in the title. Its short 3-5min videos going over a specific feature. This was the first one and is related to terrain. HUMANKIND™ Feature Focus: Reimagining Terrain - YouTube It won't cover anything but it will give you a good idea for starters. Then you can always watch more if it grabbed your interest.

There is an open dev (basically a beta) going on right now till May the 3rd. You can acess it by either pre ordering the game or you can just watch a twitch stream that has drops enabled for 3h and you'll also get access.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The cultures are the biggest difference. But there is 3d terrain. Combat is very different in a good way IMO. This game for me took everything that wasn't great about Civ and fixed thos things in my opinion. To get a good idea of the game you could watch the videos on their official youtube channel that have 'feature focus' in the title. Its short 3-5min videos going over a specific feature. This was the first one and is related to terrain. HUMANKIND™ Feature Focus: Reimagining Terrain - YouTube It won't cover anything but it will give you a good idea for starters. Then you can always watch more if it grabbed your interest.

There is an open dev (basically a beta) going on right now till May the 3rd. You can acess it by either pre ordering the game or you can just watch a twitch stream that has drops enabled for 3h and you'll also get access.
Awesome, thanks. I'll check it out

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
I've just started playing the opendev demo/beta.
There are some good ideas here.
It's not too complex and seems easier than their "Endless" games, where I always got too bogged down in micromanagement to really enjoy.
It's a bit more complex than Civ, especially with outposts and cities. But a lot of that is because 30 years of Civ mean that it's complexity is overlooked as being "standard 4x game mechanics". Humankind is similar but different.
I like how cities grow in Humankind by building districts rather than a pure "x hex radius".
The territories mechanic seems a good way to stop city spam, though it can feel a bit gamey (same mechanic as Endless Legend).
The way that civilisations and eras are unlocked is really cool. The combat is also more interesting than Civ.

If they can balance it well, it will be a great game.