Oct 27, 2017
It's become pretty clear that with the Final Fantasy VII Remake that Square Enix will be adding to the story of the game and expanding upon it in various ways. So far, one thing we've noticed is that at the end of the last trailer, Aerith get surrounded by spooky ghosts known as the Watchmen of Fate. The idea behind "fate," has me wondering if they will actually go through with the idea of giving the player the opportunity to save Aerith?

What would you all think of this option if it were offered? Personally, I wouldn't care. I never really found what happened to her to be that big of a deal (granted I played VII for the first time in 2014), and I'm always up for more party members than less.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
It depends on the narrative structure. If they feel like as a development team that they can make enough interesting and high quality character interactions that still drive Cloud to figure himself out after that character's death then I'm for it. However, the weight of the death has to be there and the Cloud Lifestream bit has to be there. Sephiroth is still blocking Holy's casting regardless until the very end so it can work if they wanna change it. It just has to be done really well though to justify it.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I hope not, really lessens the impact and her sacrifice. The final battle wouldn't be the same either since her death was one of their motivating factors. As well as the final scene when you see her face and it fades to black.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it'd be really cool if it were complicated to achieve, for sure. Divergent outcomes are wonderful in RPGs.

Changes up quite a bit in the last third though with all the lifestream and ancients events if she's standing right there lol. That's a lot of variables to account for.

Jun 22, 2018
I would be disappointed, honestly.

That's such a defining moment of the game. Changing it would defy too much of what made FF7 great.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
It depends on the narrative structure. If they feel like as a development team that they can make enough interesting and high quality character interactions that still drive Cloud to figure himself out after that character's death then I'm for it. However, the weight of the death has to be there and the Cloud Lifestream bit has to be there. Sephiroth is still blocking Holy's casting regardless until the very end so it can work if they wanna change it. It just has to be done really well though to justify it.

I was thinking about it along these lines as well. Definitely think if Aerith stayed with the party that they could work something else into Cloud's character development, perhaps his relationship with Zack?

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
For new game+ maybe.

But generally speaking I say no. Her death is iconic, and the game should stick to the original vision.

Besides, her death is part of the the story.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want it there is a reason why this is such discussed part of the game. It's also what drives a lot of drama between characters and overall story later on.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
I was thinking about it along these lines as well. Definitely think if Aerith stayed with the party that they could work something else into Cloud's character development, perhaps his relationship with Zack?
Yeah or maybe even some regret if he couldn't save Tifa, the one person he tried to impress. They can absolutely pull something like that off if they give the original purpose of Aerith's death high consideration. They could even go as far as making it some sort of narrative choice that you're not aware about like the "love points" based on your previous interactions with characters. They could really turn this whole thing up a notch if they put their best foot forward on this. However, I'm just fine with Aerith dying too.

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, a lot of what made FFVII an emotional game back in the 90s was that there was a lot of sadness in the world. They really shouldn't try and undo that. I always have a bittersweet memory when I think back on when I first played FFVII, and it would suck if they tried to change that.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I know, Aerith dying and having to deal with it was inspired by Sakaguchi's own struggle with death and loss of his mother, so having Aerith be a savable character seems to be a big spit in the eye of that idea.

Honestly, I think that being able to save her ruins the story, but eh... It could be interesting I guess.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I think the gravity of Aerith's sacrifice and the very sinister level of threat from Sephiroth both need to be there but it doesn't necessarily mean she needs to die. I'm open minded towards it and looking forward to see what they come up with!

Jasper

Mar 21, 2018
Netherlands
It's not very considerate to spoil a plot twist in a thread title. FFVII is going to be relevant to a whole new group of players who have not played it.

nickfrancis86

Nov 10, 2017
IMO it would no longer be FFVII. It would just be a story with the same characters in a different time line.

Maybe it could appear in some "what if" dlc but I don't see the point in that.

Not sure how a New Game + would make it work all of a sudden either. It's a major part of the story. If it's not part of it, then its a different story.

Perhaps she should die, hit then Cloud gets to Sephiroth immediately. Game Over. 👍🏼

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
There's expanding and the developing the story, and then there's just fundamentally completely changing the core of it

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
That's a pretty significant spoiler for folk that haven't played it. Maybe be a bit more considerate of others?

Oct 28, 2017
It would be great and would hopefully inspire Atlus to change a certain character's fate in a remake
Nah, the death of the Persona 3's MC is really well executed. I was actually pretty disappointed with Persona 3's story until that final scene. I think what I liked best about it is that they don't really say that he just died or that he was just holding on to stay alive until graduation due to the promise. But I felt like that is exactly what was happening in that moment.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's become pretty clear that with the Final Fantasy VII Remake that Square Enix will be adding to the story of the game and expanding upon it in various ways. So far, one thing we've noticed is that at the end of the last trailer, Aerith get surrounded by spooky ghosts known as the Watchmen of Fate. The idea behind "fate," has me wondering if they will actually go through with the idea of giving the player the opportunity to save Aerith?

What would you all think of this option if it were offered? Personally, I wouldn't care. I never really found what happened to her to be that big of a deal (granted I played VII for the first time in 2014), and I'm always up for more party members than less.
Please add a poll!

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
It'd make for a nice change I think.

I never used Aerith in FF7, simply because there's no reason to have non-permanent members in the party.

Mashdyno

Oct 27, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
I wouldn't prefer it. Not enough characters die permanently in video games. Since most games you play as a single character its harder to pull off but in an RPG with a party it works and had a huge impact on the story.

Oct 27, 2017
From a gameplay perspective, I'd be all for it, as I always wished I could use Aerith longer. Game does not have a clear mage/healer archetype outside of her, despite relatively large cast, which is a shame.

From the narrative perspective it would depend entirely on how they pulled it off. Clearly it would change everything about the back half of the game, most notably the finale (holy/lifestream). Would be easy to screw up, and would really take us beyond the relative faith they've shown to the original so far.

Chrono Trigger idea -- Cloud sacrifices himself for Aerith, and Sephiroth joins team a la Magus. The real "bad guy" is then Jenova, not Seph. That would make people go apeshit X-)

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I would hate that idea. Her fate is a piece of what made that game so memorable. Square should not touch any of the major story beats.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I always just assumed they'd make this an exclusive DLC item in their $2000 collector's edition. It would still sell out.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Aerith is an amazing character and I have personally loved her for years, but no. Characters die, and Aerith's was a dam good death.

The Tifa comments are stupid though. Why not Cid, or Vincent, why is it always pitting the women against each other, or either or-ing them? Dumb.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
It doesn't necessarily have to be that the player has a say in changing her fate, but from a remake narrative perspective it could be a good "surprise" or reshuffle of the narrative to let Aerith live, but with some other big major consequence. Her death is so widely known that it may be something worth changing and surprising people with. It's not like most fans will lose something big by having her live at this point (as long as it's done well).

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Trigger idea -- Cloud sacrifices himself for Aerith, and Sephiroth joins team a la Magus. The real "bad guy" is then Jenova, not Seph. That would make people go apeshit X-)

dyGGGkc.png

iolbX3K.gif

R42Rskg.png

Oct 26, 2017
First play through Aerith dies as she should! This is no discussion. She has to die!
Anything else is just fucking stupid

After you finish the game and get to continue on a game + save. Sure i wouldnt mind if We can save her on our second play through