Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Tekken 8 uses SSGI alongside SSR for its presentation, but what if it used Lumen for GI and Reflections instead? Turns out TekkenOverlay allows you to change it

Keep in mind, it disables the baked-in lighting with Lumen forced

SSGI/SSR:

uKGJWbd.png

And here's the Lumen version:

0UHOeFb.png

And a link to directly compare the two: https://imgsli.com/MjkyMjg1

Here's the dojo with default settings:

ua3s1s7.png

Lumen:
4eEtnYe.png

Default:
RED34dr.png

Lumen:
smF8GCD.png

Default:
R7tXtL9.png

Lumen:
Cqcfprk.png

Disabling character lighting also leads to cool results, not cool for lighting but for cool for atmosphere!

spBWt56.png

zWMVPJ6.png

42lsyLN.png

Lumen looks quite nice but you'd need something to replace the baked lighting with like the Paris stages street lights. Not just a case of turning it off and on. Overall looks quite nice especially for the evening NY stage

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be honest, I genuinely cannot see any substantial difference in the first two shots or the Paris shots, and the underworld gate stage looks better without Lumen. It doesn't seem like a particularly huge upgrade.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I find Lumen isn't always an automatic upgrade. Fortnite is still one of the best uses of it and I chalk it up to the types of materials and light sources being used

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't work for fighting games where the character needs to be illuminated all the time. It was an artistic decision.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Lumen is cool but I think fighting games are a special case where readability overrides possible graphic upgrades and realism.

ElFly

Oct 27, 2017
strong corporate wants you to find the difference energy in some of these shots

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Eh, you go "oh wow this looks good" for the first 10 seconds and don't notice it anymore during fights it or turn it off to improve performance.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The only screenshots where I appreciate the difference are the ones where I don't like it.

MimosaSTG

Jun 7, 2022
The game's lighting system is not built for Lumen.

I've got way better examples of the tech in previous threads showcasing Lumen in Tekken 8, but it is not set up for actual gameplay.

53490092663_432e6c1acd_o.png

53490026463_f47e839a91_o.png

You have to use UUU5 to add light sources to the scene to make them at least look decent. The game just isn't designed for it. Enabling it will destroy visibility.

If the dev team takes the time to make lighting appropriate for lumen, then it would end up looking decent. Basically there is no reason to turn it on other than for taking screenshots. And even if they designed lighting around Lumen... like maybe 0.5% of the Tekken 8 audience would even be able to play it 60FPS. The juice is not worth the squeeze.

At the moment, It's only just something for tinkerers and photographers to play around with.

LUMEN OFF
53494668793_7365b73e14_o.png

LUMEN ON + Additional Spot Lights from UUU5
53493630952_8553bf1613_o.png

Really the only thing I hate about the game visually is that everyone glows, but that can be disabled. With the hero lighting off, characters are able to have proper AO.

Last edited:

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
global illumination isnt something you can really on/off when a game wasn't designed around it

there is a whole lot of design decisions that go into lighting in general, even without GI, but then when you introduce GI you can still used baked lighting, mix software GI with hardware/RT GI..really there are a lot of different approaches that you design with that in mind

Steamy Manatee

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 18, 2022
the problem with raytracing and realistic lighting is that it does not serve the same purpose for all kinds of games, as seen here. Ideally players should see their characters perfectly at all times. Is it fancy? Sure. Is it needed? No.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
It can always be tweaked to look great from a playability perspective if the game was designed with it in mind from the onset.
that, and also there just isnt enough info...lumen was enabled and some other tweaks

was the GI source properly adjusted aka sun positioning? was the exponential height fog properly added and adjusted? post processing volume adjusted?
its not as simple as a checkbox - i mean yes you literally can drop lumen into the scene and change GI to lumen, but unless you change your entire project setup to account for it, then your likely going to get much worse image quality.

not to mention the core benefit of using a GI solution like this is for the asset production / art design pipeline because you have a lot more freedom, but it is a double edged sword..if done correctly you greatly improve asset generation / art team production and in most cases will also get the extra benefit of better image quality that comes GI, like more realistic lighting / shadows and reflections - lumen getting better at the latter 2 of these in each build.

if you aren't properly designing around it, it will look considerably worse and because even software GI like lumen is more intensive on draw calls then baked lighting, will impact your final render with worse on screen image.

tl:dl - its like anything else, if used correctly and designed around it is a huge benefit to developers and end users, if not then stick with baked lighting..same for nanite and just dropping in 10k 20gb assets at 0 lod that the user never sees from closer then billboard distance

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I've seen people using the mod and some stages look insane.

Like the red light version of the Iron Fist arena.

View: https://youtu.be/nEbZ0o4Ni5U?si=kMSY3WCwGgRA0wG8

But yeah it's hard to see a lot of the time.

Personally I'd still like the option to toggle tho.

This looks really cool.

From looking at lighting mods through the years and the stuff on this page bringing back memories, I've always wanted this kind of stuff in single player modes, ONLY single player. Character readability is priority 1 in VS play, obviously. But it would be fun to get some/more of this stylized lighting in the SP modes where you are just dicking around. Different lighting on the same stage at different times of the day is neat to me, I would like to just play arcade mode with lighting like from this video sometimes.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
This looks like something I'd never personally use I just can't stand when characters don't pop and feel separate from the background in a fighting game.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
It would be cool for photo mode but in an actual match I'd be mad as shit lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like it's basically disabling a bunch of light sources (presumably static ones that are incompatible with Lumen).

NativeTongue

Oct 4, 2023
NYC
every "this game but with new lighting" thread always looks worse to me. No one who does these every takes a holistic approach to why the lighting was chosen for each individual game.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
It would look terrible because I wouldn't be able to tell what my opponent was doing.