GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As far as we can tell, the No. 1 perk of writing for The Washington Post isn't the parties you're invited to or the celebrities you meet — though this may be because invitations addressed to the resident data dork seem to get lost in the mail.

No, the top perquisite in our view is access to the voter file, a compendium of 212 million registered voters.

The Post's voter file is compiled by L2, a data firm founded by its two eponymous Ls, Lourene and Lindy Criddle, in the mid-1970s. Within L2, dozens of engineers hammer away on secure servers to update, clean and standardize public voter records bought from the states. Such voter rolls, constructed under the auspices of the 1993 Motor Voter Act and the 2002 Help America Vote Act, aim to increase voter participation and prevent voter fraud.

These files, buttressed by data from other sources, have proved phenomenally popular among political campaigns from school boards on up, explaining how all those canvassers and flier-mailers get your address. The Post licenses them for election modeling and polling.

bafkreiby3vq2cvolth2asq5saryuccgphyun3u4gbtuere2wvfqlqnynqe@jpeg

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

Good to see me and my fellow MDs represented

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I actually named my Pokemon characters MD for the D/P and B/W games back in the day, so shout out to MD.

Royalan

Not actually the youngest mod — AP Fact Check
Oct 24, 2017
LMAO @ so many left leaning names being obviously Black

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Yeah... you know, my initial reaction upon reading the thread title was to roll my eyes because generalizations suck. But then actually looking at the list of names and what this is saying is pretty obvious. Names popular amongst people of color tend to be left-leaning. Names popular amongst southern white people tend to be right-leaning. Yeah, that checks out.

Royalan

Not actually the youngest mod — AP Fact Check
Oct 24, 2017
I dated a Demetrius.

He was a fun time.

Switters

Oct 28, 2017
We been knowing Jolene a back biting no business born insecure junkyard motherfucker. That's just a fact.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, I've got a centrist name!

Interesting study. It is telling that the left-leaning names are PoC, while the right-leaning names are found in news articles about Florida Man/Woman.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
My name's on the right-leaning list, so I'm glad to break the trend. My dad, who named me, definitely is right-leaning so I can see the line of thinking I guess

pioneer

May 31, 2022
LMAO @ so many left leaning names being obviously Black
I noticed this too, and knowing Black women have voted 90%+ dem in at least the last 4 presidential elections I wish we could drill in further - like how many total Shaniquas voted for Trump? Or the opposite with white men - how many Coltons voted Biden?

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
"Heath, Clint, Tanner, Cody"

Can confirm, I lived in a town of 10k and most boys names consisted of two of those four

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I've seen a disturbing number of Irish-descended names on the right side. I hope these people never visit Ireland, which these days is a liberal hellhole going by their definition.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
MD? How is that a name?

EDIT: Oh it's short for Muhammed? I guess Americans don't like to call their kids that because of islamophobia or something?

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize the name Cotton had come back in style with Southern conservatives. Lol isn't that the dad from King of the Hill

Booshka

May 8, 2018
Amherst, MA
Brayden, Colt, Tanner and Brock the type of dudes to throw a full can a beer at me from their Cummins Diesel while I am cycling on the road.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ at those right leaning names lol I immediately imagined trucker hats and camo cargo shorts reading through that list.