Teusery

"This guy are sick"
May 18, 2022
www.thecut.com

How I Got Scammed Out of $50,000

I’m still trying to understand why I fell for it.

On a Tuesday evening this past October, I put $50,000 in cash in a shoe box, taped it shut as instructed, and carried it to the sidewalk in front of my apartment, my phone clasped to my ear. "Don't let anyone hurt me," I told the man on the line, feeling pathetic.

"You won't be hurt," he answered. "Just keep doing exactly as I say."

Three minutes later, a white Mercedes SUV pulled up to the curb. "The back window will open," said the man on the phone. "Do not look at the driver or talk to him. Put the box through the window, say 'thank you,' and go back inside."

The man on the phone knew my home address, my Social Security number, the names of my family members, and that my 2-year-old son was playing in our living room. He told me my home was being watched, my laptop had been hacked, and we were in imminent danger. "I can help you, but only if you cooperate," he said. His first orders: I could not tell anyone about our conversation, not even my spouse, or talk to the police or a lawyer.

Now I know this was all a scam — a cruel and violating one but painfully obvious in retrospect. Here's what I can't figure out: Why didn't I just hang up and call 911? Why didn't I text my husband, or my brother (a lawyer), or my best friend (also a lawyer), or my parents, or one of the many other people who would have helped me? Why did I hand over all that money — the contents of my savings account, strictly for emergencies — without a bigger fight?

When I've told people this story, most of them say the same thing: You don't seem like the type of person this would happen to. What they mean is that I'm not senile, or hysterical, or a rube. But these stereotypes are actually false. Younger adults — Gen Z, millennials, and Gen X — are 34 percent more likely to report losing money to fraud compared with those over 60, according to a recent report from the Federal Trade Commission. Another study found that well-educated people or those with good jobs were just as vulnerable to scams as everyone else.

Still, how could I have been such easy prey? Scam victims tend to be single, lonely, and economically insecure with low financial literacy. I am none of those things. I'm closer to the opposite. I'm a journalist who had a weekly column in the "Business" section of the New York Times. I've written a personal-finance column for this magazine for the past seven years. I interview money experts all the time and take their advice seriously. I'm married and talk to my friends, family, and colleagues every day.

And while this is harder to quantify — how do I even put it? — I'm not someone who loses her head. My mother-in-law has described me as even-keeled; my own mom has called me "maddeningly rational." I am listed as an emergency contact for several friends — and their kids. I vote, floss, cook, and exercise. In other words, I'm not a person who panics under pressure and falls for a conspiracy involving drug smuggling, money laundering, and CIA officers at my door. Until, suddenly, I was.

Lengthy but entertaining (and horrifying) read about how even a skeptical, normally logical person can get taken for a ride. They got through her initial defenses by having access to information she didn't volunteer (she later says that kind of stuff, such as names, digits of social security numbers, and family information, can be sold on the dark web).

"If someone is trying to get you to be compliant, they do it incrementally, in a series of small steps that take you farther and farther from what you know to be true," he said. "It's not about breaking the will. They were altering the sense of reality." And when you haven't done anything wrong, the risk of cooperating feels minimal, he added. An innocent person thinks everything will get sorted out. It also mattered that I was kept on the phone for so long. People start to break down cognitively after a few hours of interrogation. "At that point, they're not thinking straight. They feel the need to put an end to the situation at all costs," Kassin said.

Last edited:

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I do feel bad for her but there were so many red flags. You never, ever believe someone on the phone or a text. The government will mail you official mail, Amazon will email you from an Amazon.com account (even if redirected, you can verify the domain). Hell, I almost never answer the phone anymore.

Then he read me the last four digits of my Social Security number, my home address, and my date of birth to confirm that they were correct.

I would not be surprised if someone had this. I assume everyone can access this.

The first thing you should do is google your "scam". Everytime I've done this, I find it almost immediately.

www.aura.com

The 7 Latest Amazon Scam Calls (and How To Spot Them)

Amazon phone scams are running rampant, with Americans receiving over 100 million every month. Learn how to identify the most common Amazon scam calls.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I do feel bad for her but there were so many red flags. You never, ever believe someone on the phone or a text. The government will mail you official mail, Amazon will email you from an Amazon.com account (even if redirected, you can verify the domain). Hell, I almost never answer the phone anymore.

I would not be surprised if someone had this. I assume everyone can access this.

The first thing you should do is google your "scam". Everytime I've done this, I find it almost immediately.
https://www.aura.com/learn/amazon-scam-calls
I'm certain actual amazon would be sending an email first 100% of the time.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I don't understand this....

HOW is anyone this gullible? None of the examples on "how it can happen" make sense to me. Heck, I'd lead them on and have the police waiting on them when they showed up.

Even when I see it every day, it still just makes me sit here in disbelief every time.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I can understand how she got to that point, but the minute the whole shoebox thing happened that really should have been the big tell. No legitimate government agent or even do-gooder trying to help is going to do that cheesy movie mafia stuff in real life. But I can understand how she didn't think about it in the moment.

Having said all that, I kind of also think she's probably also had a much more sheltered life than she thinks she'd had, or at least how she's portraying here.

Canas Renvall

Mar 4, 2018
User Banned (3 Months): Insensitive Commentary; Victim Blaming; History of Inflammatory Commentary & Trolling
Hahahahaha

She's a financial advice journalist

LMAO

Her husband is an idiot if he stays with her and doesn't take the kid, he can never trust her with money again. That's an amount of money that is "you are a danger to our child's future" money.

Nov 19, 2019
One thing that always strikes me about these pieces is the tortured ruminations on kind of..."but I'm not stupid, like other people who get scammed"! I don't think it's intended to be insulting, but it very clearly is. This article--like others--goes on to share examples of "respected" people who have also been scammed, sort of in an effort to walk the insult back somewhat, but I think it's always very yucky framing to begin with.

And really, we are all stupid. I think that's the heart of the matter. I wish more articles would take that approach with touchy issues like these. It's almost heartwarming, in a way.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017

HOW is anyone this dumb/gullible?

Even when I see it every day, it still just makes me sit here in disbelief every time.
The reactions on Bluesky focused mostly on a combination of panic and an authority figure telling them what to do. People who fall for this type of scam realize how ridiculous it sounds immediately after it's over, but when you're hopped up on adrenaline you're not really able to think rationally, no matter how obvious the tells are.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Hahahahaha

LMAO
Yeah I'm sorry, this is really bad. Either she shouldn't be out there giving people advice or she was hit with the most advanced financial scam ever. Hint, it's not the latter.

A good rule of thumb is to never trust anyone from Microsoft, Fedex, UPS, Amazon or any bank proactively reaching out to you. If you actually think there may be an issue, call your bank, call Amazon through the app or contact them another way directly yourself using a safe and confirmed number. I thought everyone knew this, but obviously not.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

HOW is anyone this dumb/gullible?

She insinuates its a moment of weakness; she was their internet culture reporter (!!!).

I mean, thankfully my deep cynicism and nihilism would never let me fall for this (but gives me therapy bills, lol) but I can see a scenario
where if you're in a bad mental state (after a tough breakup, death of someone close to you) or suffer from depression/anxiety you can get caught slipping.

And tbh, its all it takes

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The author fell victim to the assumption that they're not the kind of person to be targeted by such scams, and didn't realize that they're exactly the kind of person to be targeted by such scams. The reality is that we all have our weaknesses, and security is all about staying diligent as much as possible. Scammers have gotten very good at the psychological side of things too, as the article notes. :\

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
The combination of the woe is me tone over taking out $50k in bills to hand over to a random person and indignation that someone as high class them could fall for a scam that they think only the poors would be bamboozled by is hilarious.

What's worse is not only that they wrote an article about this but this probably wont affect their life or job in any serious way.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
The combination of the woe is me tone over taking out $50k in bills to hand over to a random person and indignation that someone as high class them could fall for a scam that they think only the poors would be bamboozled by is hilarious.

What's worse is not only that they wrote an article about this but this probably wont affect their life or job in any serious way.
The author had about $80,000 in savings and lost most of it to this, it was serious.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I could see momentarily freaking out once they started mentioning things about their family, but the "I'm too smart to fall for a scam" setup is really tacky.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Reading this, It's really hard to reconcile that a level headed person could continue through so many increasingly ludicrous steps while never once taking a step back and doing some critical thinking. Like, I don't even know what to say. She clearly knows how stupid she was, and yet it can't be stressed enough how stupid she was

Oct 27, 2017
which he claimed had been found in a car rented under my name that was abandoned on the southern border of Texas with blood and drugs in the trunk.

kitboga-that-guy.gif

Nov 19, 2019
The author fell victim to the assumption that they're not the kind of person to be targeted by such scams, and didn't realize that they're exactly the kind of person to be targeted by such scams. The reality is that we all have our weaknesses, and security is all about staying diligent as much as possible. Scammers have gotten very good at the psychological side of things too, as the article notes. :\
I had to take a security class for work and basically the thrust is that "social engineering" is the master key, and has been for a long time. I don't even like the term "social engineering" because it gives the whole thing an air of technical sophistication...when really it's just, I dunno...people talking (or writing) words good. I think that contributes to people letting their guard down, honestly.

Am I susceptible or a worthwhile target of engineering? Uh...no I don't think so.
Am I a person who can be convinced of things by words alone? Well of course! Ok, then that's all it takes to be a target.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus. How in gods name do you let that scam just ride for that long?!? Would have laughed and ignored them after the "abandoned car in mexico" horse shit lol

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
How do you do this and believe a total stranger over informing your spouse immediately?

How do you make a unilateral decision to part with 50k without discussing if this is a wise move with your spouse?

My wife and I communicate over any expense over 500$ by default. I just do not understand.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, once you're hooked into the story with texted images of some nobody you're cooked. She failed the first sniff test and it was over from there.

Oct 27, 2017
mr___piss said:
The whole lead-in about how she's not like the poor, stupid, lonely people she imagines to be easily scammed had a certain je ne sais quoi that I instantly clocked as the mutterings of an effete, inbred child of rich people - and my ability to clock that sort of thing from the get is one of the few things I like about myself. Her husband works for a non-profit, she's 39, but they live in a $4 million dollar house in Prospect Heights? She's related to the Roosevelts? Ivy league is a given, but she feels the need to highlight it on her personal site? A child named Ripley?This whole thing is just another rearranging deck chairs on the titanic of increasingly hubristic, insulated failsons and faildaughters are discovering the otherwise object permanence level of obvious lessons the rest of us understand. You think Amazon will white glove you over to the CIA in a few minutes? Tell me you don't do your taxes without telling me you don't do your taxes. This person is so uncalibrated in their ability to navigate the world that their ability to generalize any intellectual output for anyone other than her similarly 0.1% situated friends is completely shot. Let her go be on the board of a do-nothing charity, this game is up.

I have to give it to The Cut commenter "mr___piss" for saying things better than I ever could.

Hali01

Oct 18, 2023
Hahahahaha

LMAO

Her husband is an idiot if he stays with her and doesn't take the kid, he can never trust her with money again. That's an amount of money that is "you are a danger to our child's future" money.
So it's okay to victim blame when people fall for scams ?

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
"I am smart, I'll have you know. I am so, so smart. Even my mom says so. Anyway so I handed my wallet over to the wallet inspector"

Rich person nonsense

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Here's some financial advice for this financial advice columnist, don't give someone 50k in cash

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I read the whole thing trying to figure out if there was, at any moment, anything that could make a logical person go through with this and NOPE. Lady is an idiot. And she can talk about all the other victims that have been duped or bring in a psychology expert, but the reality is you are dumb. And that husband is a saint for staying with her. She basically wiped out their bank accounts in a day WITHOUT EVEN TALKING TO THE HUSBAND.

Literally withdrew $50k in a single day and handed it to a random person because she was told she had to or she'd go to jail. JFC.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Not answering your phone from people outside your contacts remains undefeated haha. fr though, her so certain she wouldn't fall for a scam is why she did. Sucks for her, but there were so many instances to question it and she just didnt.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had to take a security class for work and basically the thrust is that "social engineering" is the master key, and has been for a long time. I don't even like the term "social engineering" because it gives the whole thing an air of technical sophistication...when really it's just, I dunno...people talking (or writing) words good. I think that contributes to people letting their guard down, honestly.

Am I susceptible or a worthwhile target of engineering? Uh...no I don't think so.
Am I a person who can be convinced of things by words alone? Well of course! Ok, then that's all it takes to be a target.

Yup. All it takes is one person who can tell a good tale with some nice words, and you can scam anyone. I think the woman in the story is a fool, as much as anyone else here thinks so. But I won't pretend I'm somehow not infallible, and I'm going to stay diligent as possible when it comes to avoiding scams.

Deleted member 35800

Dec 10, 2017
Hahahahaha

LMAO

Yeah, a few couple of bucks around like $50-100 I can understand but $50,000 is way too much. If you get scammed and lose this much money then it's on you.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Nobody thinks they're an easy mark, especially the easiest marks.

People get scammed all the time, but how truly, unbelievably stupid do you have to be to voluntarily withdraw $50k from a bank, in physical honest-to-god cash, and literally hand it to the person scamming you?

That's some next level idiocy.

Not to kick someone when they're down, but I can't believe she kept her job as financial-advice columnist after this. The Cut might be run by an even bigger set of marks than her if they're still paying her salary.

I have to give it to The Cut commenter "mr___piss" for saying things better than I ever could.

Oh. This makes so much more sense now.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I have my phone set to silent for unknown numbers, mainly because I'm tired of spam robo calls. But at the same time I also dont believe any emails or text that I get, even if that text comes from a family member. If I get a strange text from someone I know, I'm more likely to call them on the spot. Also dont click any links on text or emails.

Canas Renvall

Mar 4, 2018
So it's okay to victim blame when people fall for scams ?
I'm not blaming her, I'm laughing at her. If you want me to blame her, I would say that she says herself about four or five times in that article that she knew something was up, and she just did it anyway, and then tried to make herself feel better because how could she, a very smart person, fall for a scam like an idiot poor person?

Not sure why you singled mine out when almost everyone here is saying the same, but yeah. Now excuse me while I continue to laugh.

Hahaha

Yeah, a few couple of bucks around like $50-100 I can understand but $50,000 is way too much. If you get scammed and lose this much money then it's on you.
Hey, I've been scammed out of a hundred bucks before, it happens. What happened in the article is nothing short of Looney Tunes. And from a financial advice journalist no less, that's the part I think needs stressing the most.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. All it takes is one person who can tell a good tale with some nice words, and you can scam anyone. I think the woman in the story is a fool, as much as anyone else here thinks so. But I won't pretend I'm somehow not infallible, and I'm going to stay diligent as possible when it comes to avoiding scams.
One of the good points I've seen in the reaction to this is that everyone has some combination of scam and circumstances that they are personally vulnerable to.

Nov 5, 2019
This makes me feel better about losing $10,000 (not scammed, more like a mid-life crisis). I know it's hard to believe, but people are sometimes caught in situations where they might perform the unthinkable. You shake it off, learn, and move on. Hopefully this individuals' got some leftover savings, though.

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
Was waiting to give the benefit of a doubt, maybe a threat against children or a family member and the scammer knew just enough to make the threat believable.

I don't want to call this person dumb, but how do you not take some time after the shock/adrenaline subsides to think more clearly about what you're doing and if there is a better way to address it?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

And now it all makes sense, thank you "mr___piss." The one time a comment section of an article proved useful. No wonder she didn't bat an eye about losing $50k. And yet, she makes it sound as though they were going to be financially ruined.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One of the good points I've seen in the reaction to this is that everyone has some combination of scam and circumstances that they are personally vulnerable to.

Identifying this is actually a key component of spear-phishing, among other types of social engineering. The more you know about a person, the greater the chances you can create a scenario that they are likely to do something foolish like download malware.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
"I completely understand," he said calmly. He told me to go to the FTC home page and look up the main phone number. "Now hang up the phone, and I will call you from that number right now." I did as he said. The FTC number flashed on my screen, and I picked up. "How do I know you're not just spoofing this?" I asked.
This is where it should have ended.

I don't know if it's being smoothed over in the writing, but the scammers seem slightly more...polished than they usually are. Their scripts are atrocious.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I got an email from comcast saying my bill was past due with a customer service phone number to call. I ignored that number and went to the comcast website, called the number there, and resolved the issue because I actually had forgotten to update my CC when my bank sent me a new one. I'm not using that to say I'm too smart to fall for a scam, but just that you shouldn't take calls or use contact info sent to you in an email. Always get the official number. If you take a call, ask for a reference number and call back on the posted number on their website.

I never take phone calls from unknown numbers unless I'm expecting something. You know those car warranty scam calls? I got one while waiting at the shopping mall next to the dealership where my car was currently getting an oil change under warranty. I was expecting a call about my car being finished. Fortunately I was well aware of those scams and just hung up, but that's a situation where a person had probably looked at my warranty info within the last 20 minutes. I wouldn't blame someone for at least getting a little ways into that scam before hopefully realizing what it was.

Royce

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
A sudden, highly stressful situation can really mess with one's brain. It's scientifically proven, known as acute stress reaction among others. It can make a person truly unable to think and feel like they normally would. It's easy to laugh at others if you haven't experienced it yourself.

I cannot know if this is a case of something similar happening, or if it's just a sheltered rich lady who trusted strangers too easily and now finally met with the real world, but personally I'm wary of blaming the victim.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I respect the bravery of being willing to look this foolish to the whole Internet. She obviously made a lot of really ridiculous and unbelievable mistakes. But there is definitely value in writing down these stupid decisions as a cautionary tale. Hope someone reads this piece and it manages to wake them up before doing something similar.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
The author had about $80,000 in savings and lost most of it to this, it was serious.

I'm comfortable betting that she'll be fine. I don't care enough to verify rando's comment that was posted above but it wouldn't surprise me if it was accurate considering she still has her job and was comfortable making a story about what would otherwise be absolutely ruinous in every way to most other people.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Imagine getting scammed this bad, and then publically explaining in such a way that makes it clear your a huge idiot.