Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I'll get to the point. My partner has a fantastic career lined up and seems to always have the answers. She was motivated when she was young, pursued the career she wanted and now has it. Very compassionate and level headed.

I'm lazy. Early 30s, quit my last job because it was mentally killing me. I have a generic degree (business major with no connections) and am extremely lazy. My savings are going to run out soon.

I enjoy writing for fun and have started my own film analysis blog. But, most of the time, I feel lost. I'm home all day, jobless (for two months now) and depressed. I play video games all day now and feel like I have no energy unless I'm around her. I have extreme jealousy of people with careers or people who love what they're doing and getting paid for it. Like, I missed the boat on pursuing my career at a young age. That's what it feels like. Makes me feel really immature.

There's a lot I want to do but I feel too "dumb" or lazy (physically and mentally) to do it. Does anyone else feel that way or have felt that way? More to the point, is this who I'm going to be forever? Can I change when I'm already at this age? They say when you hit your mid-20s, your habits don't change.

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best time to start something was 10 years ago. The second best time is right now.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was going to write a long winded response, but it just comes down to:

giphy.gif

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
Your career doesn't have to be your passion. Your hobby can be your passion and your career is just what gives you fuel for it. If you feel like you have to have it all, to have everything perfect for it to be worthwhile, that will only keep you from starting.

Start by getting out of the house. If you can't find a job easily, volunteer somewhere. Do something that gets you out of your own head and feeds you experiences that you can channel into writing.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Start to exercise and stop playing video games would be my first bit of advice.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Easier said than done. As I type this, I'm laying in bed and wondering what to eat for lunch when I finally get up.

Of course it's easier said than done, nobody said it would be easy. Life isn't easy. Everyone goes through the same struggles you do, but they push on. You can either lay there in bed or you can get up, nobody is going to make that decision besides you.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35509

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Your career doesn't have to be your passion. Your hobby can be your passion and your career is just what gives you fuel for it. If you feel like you have to have it all, to have everything perfect for it to be worthwhile, that will only keep you from starting.

Start by getting out of the house. If you can't find a job easily, volunteer somewhere. Do something that gets you out of your own head and feeds you experiences that you can channel into writing.

"...to have everything perfect for it to be worthwile" is exactly my mentality.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017

This. Find a job that doesn't kill you, pays decently, and the folks you work with are nice. Then spend your free time doing stuff you like.

don't be brainwashed to think that everyones happy or working on things they love. vast majority aren't. find a compromise and stick to it. like. my day is mostly spent on the computer doing stuff in excel. its not the best or most challenging, but it pays well, everyones nice, and I get to listen to podcast while I work.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
They say when you hit your mid-20s, your habits don't change.
Nah that's nonsense. OP, you just need to not be scared to commit 100% to your dreams and goals. Failure is temporary, learn from it instead of avoiding it.

Sounds like you have an amazing partner, let their good traits rub off on you.

Mr. X has it.

People change all the time for all kinds of reasons. Julia Child didn't learn a new language until she was 36 and didn't go to culinary school until a year later. You just have to want to do something and then do what you want. This always sounds so unhelpful and so empty but it's really as simple as that. What do you really want? If the answer is nothing, I guess that's a problem, but at least then you know what your problem is.

I have a hard time self-motivating too. But, like you, I have a very motivated partner who wants and hungers for things. If you don't care about yourself, but you care about someone else, don't do it for you. Do it for them.

Also not everyone's career is there reason for living. I don't care much for my job at all. I don't do it because I love it, I do it for money. That's the only reason you need to go to work. If you aren't passionate about it, use that money to be passionate elsewhere.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
it's a lot like starting to run for the first time. it would feel like that it sucks, it's not ideal and you'll feel tired. You wonder why you push yourself but you don't quit. You keep at it until it becomes a pattern, a habit and once it becomes a pattern or a habit then it gets easier.

If you want to do something, start by doing something even if you don't love it so long as it moves in the direction that you want. Even if you don't feel like it just hold yourself accountable for it. Don't do ridiculous things like try to fit 10 days activity into one but try to maintain a regular pattern of doing it. Maybe it's a simple thing of writing something at 5pm everyday. Maybe it's working out at a certain time. But when you don't do it make sure you are accountable for doing it the next day. Eventually the pattern sets and you'll do it every day till you can't imagine how you'd never done it.

If you want to motivate yourself you need to motivate yourself to not unmotivate yourself.
And you're not too late to restart, so long as your mind and body are active and you can function. Everyone operates at different velocities and timeframes.

No one is ever perfect, you're all just limits tending to perfection but the minute you stop moving you stop heading towards that goal The only time you should is if you've hit the point where you are content with the way your life is. There's not much growth after that point and one often doesn't need it in ways at that point.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35509

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Mr. X has it.

People change all the time for all kinds of reasons. Julia Child didn't learn a new language until she was 36 and didn't go to culinary school until a year later. You just have to want to do something and then do what you want. This always sounds so unhelpful and so empty but it's really as simple as that. What do you really want? If the answer is nothing, I guess that's a problem, but at least then you know what your problem is.

I have a hard time self-motivating too. But, like you, I have a very motivated partner who wants and hungers for things. If you don't care about yourself, but you care about someone else, don't do it for you. Do it for them.

Also not everyone's career is there reason for living. I don't care much for my job at all. I don't do it because I love it, I do it for money. That's the only reason you need to go to work. If you aren't passionate about it, use that money to be passionate elsewhere.

This actually made me tear up a little. She just wants the best for me and just tells me to figure out what I want. Her entire family is incredibly motivating but then when I'm alone (which is most of the day because she works long shifts), I revert to my lazy self and play video games or watch tv.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty understandable to feel the way that you do when you're comparing yourself to others who have differing levels of success at the same age as you. It's perfectly okay to tackle things in your life at your own pace, and you are definitely capable of changing any habits that you have now.

If you have a lot that you want to do and it just feels overwhelming, then I'd really recommend sitting down and making a list of what your goals are and what you want to accomplish, and then breaking those down further. For instance, if your goal is to eat better, then you would break that down into smaller more manageable goals like "This week I'm going to eat 2 healthy meals" and then slowly ramp it up over time. Trying to make large changes all at once when you have large goals can be very difficult because it's hard to see the progress that you're making and it can be demoralizing to not hit that larger goal for some time. The exact technique for doing this is called the SMART technique, and it's broken down like this.

Specific- make sure all of your goals are specific and written out one goal at a time
Measurable- make sure your goals are measurable (ex. lose 25 lbs)
Attainable- make sure your goals are realistic
Relevant- make sure your goals are relevant to your personality, values and beliefs
Time-framed- make sure your goals are time sensitive with an actual date (this can be adjusted if needed)

I have absolutely felt overwhelmed in the past trying to tackle some of the larger goals in my life, and just breaking them down into smaller, more manageable goals has really helped me to stay on track and keep working towards what I want to achieve.

Would you be willing to tell us what some of your goals are? We're here for you and we can help you with some suggestions on where you can start.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
"...to have everything perfect for it to be worthwile" is exactly my mentality.

You are a writer, do yourself a little writing exercise. In one column, list all your expectations for yourself. In the second column, list what you expect from other people. Then look long and hard at the differences between those two lists. You need to hold yourself to the second column, not the first. Breaking a perfectionist mindset is not going to be easy and I would honestly recommend therapy, but carrying that list around and looking at it when you are having a hard time starting something is a first step.

Since you are a perfectionist, I am going to reverse a lot of what you are going to expect to hear here. Hold yourself to lower standards. Practice forgiveness when you are weak and can't do something. Focus on learning something from the experience and trying again. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. You need to learn to fail better.

NeonBlack

Oct 25, 2017
I don't wanna be broke. That's fueled me through college and my career.

I got to watch my family go through it and decided that wouldn't be me.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
1. Watch this Arnold Speech. No, really....LISTEN to it. https://youtu.be/mNDA-o9yJNw

2. Go to a shelter or somewhere that you can do something for someone else. Get out of your own head. Be a big Brother. Tutor. Mentor. Anything to Get out of your SELF. With perspective you'll eventually get focused.

3. Exercise. Even stretching and jumping jacks and a 30 min walk. Lethargy is death.

4. Figure out what's important to you and assess your purpose. Do you want lots of money? Is that your motivation? Is your career path leading towards that? Are your goals more modest? That's okay too. Either way, look at your skills (everyone has at least one), look at your resources, make micro goals that you can accomplish. Practice 3 small things today towards your goal, and before you know it you'll be on your way towards something.

5. Appreciate yourself and what you have now. Society tells us that we should have more and bigger TOMORROW. Appreciate what you have NOW and who your are TODAY. If you want to change something, it's as easy as changing your socks. The mental decision to get out of bed and get the socks is what mattters. Same for whatever it is you want to change. Whatever it is, though, break it down into a series of micro goals. Instead of saying I want to be more confident, for example, identify 3 small behaviors that confident people do and try them. They maintian eye contact. They smile. They consider options and make decisions while accepting the consequences. Try applying those, for example, on a smaller scale in your day to day.

Your career is sometimes under your control, but there are external factors too. What you CAN change, change. Your outlook, your perspective, your preparedness, and your training among them.

The other factors like your social circles and frequency of opportunity are all variables that can be affected by the above.

The reality is that if you maintain your current path, your GF probably isn't going to stick around. Being alone and figuring out yourself is painful, but isn't necessarily a bad thing.

A good relationship involves two complimentary halves. Sounds like she's doing the heavy lifting.

The world keeps turning. You can shrink into a ball, which is definitely an option, or you can have a good cry, turnabout, focus, and go for it. YOLO is a thing for a reason.

Good luck, Happy New Year, and God Bless.

Arrakis

Oct 30, 2017
ontario,canada
Sounds like you just need help with that initial course change, maybe try career counselling , they might make suggestions you haven't thought of. You need to set goals for each day and stick to completing them before gaming time

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Exercise help me OP.
You have to read up on exercises and diets.
Changing your diet for the better improves your mood.
Exercise releases endorphins that improve how you feel.
You can see the results of your effort and looking better makes you feel better.

You don't have to get a gym membership, just a pair of shorts and sneakers for now. Do it in the morning to get your ass out bed early.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
If you continue down the road you're on, what will happen?

That usually helps me.

As for finding your passion. That's very rare. Focus on getting really good at something.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I hate to speak in platitudes, but these two have helped me a *LOT* over the years as I've improved myself generally:

"Perfect is the enemy of good." You've already mentioned above having a mindset about this. You gotta work on it. Shit gets good because you do it. If you do nothing, it'll never be anything at all, much less good.

"Comparison is the thief of joy." Don't worry about other people. So many people spend their lives finding their passion and don't get degrees or their dream job until well into adulthood or even after having kids or retiring from another career. You've got a long life ahead of you, and the only way to make it better is to work on your shit. It'll never be better than it is now if you just keep doing the same thing.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This actually made me tear up a little. She just wants the best for me and just tells me to figure out what I want. Her entire family is incredibly motivating but then when I'm alone (which is most of the day because she works long shifts), I revert to my lazy self and play video games or watch tv.

I think the most important thing for you is to just start working again. Usually I'm wary of anyone tying their self-worth to labor but having a routine and coworkers and responsibilities can be really beneficial when you are in a rut. Part of the problem, it sounds like, is that you have no obligations. Your bills are being paid. You don't have anywhere you need to be. All your time is your own and so how you spend it doesn't matter. Having a job that eats up your time at least makes you value the time you spend not working so when you're sitting at home watching Futurama for the ninetieth time (me) you at least feel like you earned it.

There are a lot of increments between getting started and living your dream. You won't be able to go from 0 to 100. Just take the first opportunity to work that you can. Save your money. Get in to a routine where you work for something, are reimbursed, and then have to decide what to do with your remaining time. As long as you don't hate your job, that's success. If you still really enjoy just sitting at home and playing video games, but are otherwise sustaining yourself and your family, who cares, you know? That's happiness on its and it's okay to just be happy.

May 31, 2018
I would suggest reverse engineering your goals in life

I want a job I'm passionate about by March 2019>Apply for jobs in that field> Network>Build on the skills needed for that role>Get out the bed by 7:00am.

More or less that is format to follow that are doable and reachable goals to build on. I would so recommend using a productive journal to help keep you on track of your daily task.

https://www.amazon.com/BestSelf-Co-...1546012282&sr=8-1&keywords=productive+journal

ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS: You believe life should consist more than checking off to-do lists. Actually reach your goals using the system we outline in this notebook. Whether you want to start a business, increase performance, get in shape, write a book, or just want to hold yourself accountable. The SELF Journal will help you hit your target

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
First: you really need to think about your partner and how this affects them so you can understand that you need to make changes for both you and her. This is affecting her, even if she hasn't said anything. I know because I've been in this situation (but reversed, with my gf being unemployed and stuck in a rut for a few months at the beginning of the year).

You need to change your daily schedule. Get up at a certain time, take a bit of time to wake up if you need to, then go get some exercise. Take care of any errands. Do anything that needs to be done around the house (clean, laundry, etc.). Apply for jobs. While you're unemployed, you need to try and stay busy with things other than video games and since you have a lot of free time, taking care of yourself physically and getting daily chores done so your partner who is presumably at work every day doesn't have to would go a long way to proving you're actually taking some initiative.

Austriacus

Oct 25, 2017
OP, i think you are smart enough to know most of the stuff People are telling you here and chances are none of it will motivate you enough.

You need a therapist, you sound depressed and after that, a life coach that is constantly there to motivate you.

All the nice advise here Will prob Just make you go "they are right!" or something but it will probably not do much to really help you.

You are going to need help and you should pay for it while you still have the money.

Whatever you do, you need to take action right now while this is in your mind and stop reading the thread

OP
OP

Deleted member 35509

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
It's pretty understandable to feel the way that you do when you're comparing yourself to others who have differing levels of success at the same age as you. It's perfectly okay to tackle things in your life at your own pace, and you are definitely capable of changing any habits that you have now.

If you have a lot that you want to do and it just feels overwhelming, then I'd really recommend sitting down and making a list of what your goals are and what you want to accomplish, and then breaking those down further. For instance, if your goal is to eat better, then you would break that down into smaller more manageable goals like "This week I'm going to eat 2 healthy meals" and then slowly ramp it up over time. Trying to make large changes all at once when you have large goals can be very difficult because it's hard to see the progress that you're making and it can be demoralizing to not hit that larger goal for some time. The exact technique for doing this is called the SMART technique, and it's broken down like this.

Specific- make sure all of your goals are specific and written out one goal at a time
Measurable- make sure your goals are measurable (ex. lose 25 lbs)
Attainable- make sure your goals are realistic
Relevant- make sure your goals are relevant to your personality, values and beliefs
Time-framed- make sure your goals are time sensitive with an actual date (this can be adjusted if needed)

I have absolutely felt overwhelmed in the past trying to tackle some of the larger goals in my life, and just breaking them down into smaller, more manageable goals has really helped me to stay on track and keep working towards what I want to achieve.

Would you be willing to tell us what some of your goals are? We're here for you and we can help you with some suggestions on where you can start.

My biggest goal and dream is to be a writer. A screenwriter specifically. I even have a connection, more than one actually, who have a lot of faith in me too. And I feel like, even if they're not saying it, I'm dissapointing them by just not producing anything. I have a few pages here and there but...I just feel too stupid to write. Or my words feel dumb, if that makes sense.

And I feel sick all the time. My stomach hurts more than usual and my one hand hurts a lot most days. I haven't really moved around a lot this past month, mostly on the couch or bed for hours a day so that might be contributing to this.

I notice when I'm outside though, I feel so much better. Or when I'm with my girlfriend and her family, I feel so inspired to write. It just vanishes when wake up and want to enjoy an RPG on Xbox. It's comforting. But I realize deep, deep, deep down time is extremely valuable, it's all we have and playing these games will waste days, months, years.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My biggest goal and dream is to be a writer. A screenwriter specifically. I even have a connection, more than one actually, who have a lot of faith in me too. And I feel like, even if they're not saying it, I'm dissapointing them by just not producing anything. I have a few pages here and there but...I just feel too stupid to write. Or my words feel dumb, if that makes sense.

And I feel sick all the time. My stomach hurts more than usual and my one hand hurts a lot most days. I haven't really moved around a lot this past month, mostly on the couch or bed for hours a day so that might be contributing to this.

I notice when I'm outside though, I feel so much better. Or when I'm with my girlfriend and her family, I feel so inspired to write. It just vanishes when wake up and want to enjoy an RPG on Xbox. It's comforting. But I realize deep, deep, deep down time is extremely valuable, it's all we have and playing these games will waste days, months, years.

You are going through, what every person that doesn't really know what they are doing, are going through.
The loss of confidence, the excuses, the hopes but not knowing how to use it and then of course the mood swings. First hopeful and than back to not seeing anything.

Some people are already giving you the hard truth but that's not the truth you need right now. You are in a black box and while sometimes you see a glimmer of light, the moment you try to reach it is when it feels like it's already gone.

I want you to try something.

Tomorrow when you wake up, leave your phone were you left it and leave everything alone, no tv, no games, no music, no coffee, no nothing. Just sit on the couch for how long you can hold out without doing anything. Look around you and have a honest conversation with your self. Starting to get hungry? See you desire is already coming through. That desire is something you lost touch with. Try to find it! Try to find you feelings and go from there. As in everything in live, sometimes it's better to leave it alone for a while and then when your empty and you want to write something instead of needing to write something because you have no clue why you are writing, your text will come to you and it will come from your desire.

My own advise to you is, try to get a achievement or something. If you never loss weight, start doing that (don't set unrealistic goals). You never cooked before? Than cook something, be proud of it and when your SO compliment you for it don't deny it and don't think it was something simple. No, you are the one who did it, nobody else, so be proud of it because it's something you have achieved. The purpose for all of this is to get success, build up your confidence. With confidence comes courage to try new things. Like walking outside, going after your dreams, making the people around you happy. When you get that confidence and courage your life will again start to walk forward.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35509

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
You are going through, what every person that doesn't really know what they are doing, are going through.
The loss of confidence, the excuses, the hopes but not knowing how to use it and then of course the mood swings. First hopeful and than back to not seeing anything.

Some people are already giving you the hard truth but that's not the truth you need right now. You are in a black box and while sometimes you see a glimmer of light, the moment you try to reach it is when it feels like it's already gone.

I want you to try something.

Tomorrow when you wake up, leave your phone were you left it and leave everything alone, no tv, no games, no music, no coffee, no nothing. Just sit on the couch for how long you can hold out without doing anything. Look around you and have a honest conversation with your self. Starting to get hungry? See you desire is already coming through. That desire is something you lost touch with. Try to find it! Try to find you feelings and go from there. As in everything in live, sometimes it's better to leave it alone for a while and then when your empty and you want to write something instead of needing to write something because you have no clue why you are writing, your text will come to you and it will come from your desire.

My own advise to you is, try to get a achievement or something. If you never loss weight, start doing that (don't set unrealistic goals). You never cooked before? Than cook something, be proud of it and when your SO compliment you for it don't deny it and don't think it was something simple. No, you are the one who did it, nobody else, so be proud of it because it's something you have achieved. The purpose for all of this is to get success, build up your confidence. With confidence comes courage to try new things. Like walking outside, going after your dreams, making the people around you happy. When you get that confidence and courage your life will again start to walk forward.

This means a lot to me, thank you. I'll try this tomorrow. It's just so easy for my lazy (and depressed) mind to pick up a video game controller rather than confront myself.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You cannot motivate yourself. Motivation is fleeting, so what you need to do is discipline yourself by just doing all the shit you don't want to do. You will suck at it and want to stop at first; keep going.

Try to set easy goals in the beginning: you want to study something new? Do it for just one hour a day. It's easy, and it'll add up over time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35509

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I'm in therapy and she's told me I need to work on myself or she'll leave me once she sees I'm not doing anything. I have opportunities in front of me but I've even told her, it's just so easy to lay on the couch.

She told me this will be an issue when I realize I have no money left.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Do you want to continue feeling empty and having no sense of purpose? If so, continue doing what you're doing.

Otherwise, stop feeling sorry for yourself and get out there to find a job.. immediately. Work on your resume, create a linkedin account if you don't have one and get to job hunting. There's no magical cure. Stop taking the easy way out every single time and get to work. Find a job, even if it's not the best one for now so you are actually working. I would look for even work that that is minimum wage for now until you find a job in your profession, because you need to be doing work. And next time, don't quit until you find a new job. And if your degree is in something that you need to make connections, work your ass off to make them. Cold call if you have to. You don't seem proactive at all.

I read further and your job is to be a writer. Have a job and work your ass off post the 40-hour weeks to write. That kind of discipline and motivation however, is all up to you.

You cannot motivate yourself. Motivation is fleeting, so what you need to do is discipline yourself by just doing all the shit you don't want to do. You will suck at it and want to stop at first; keep going.

Try to set easy goals in the beginning: you want to study something new? Do it for just one hour a day. It's easy, and it'll add up over time.
This is good advice.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
Boredom was and continues to be my primary motivator; I got sick of the boring shit I was doing for work and got sick of sitting at home and playing video games when I got laid off from my last full-time job, so I decided to go back to school. I got an interesting (I wouldn't necessarily call it fun) part-time job to limit my reliance on student loans and now I'm no longer bored.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This means a lot to me, thank you. I'll try this tomorrow. It's just so easy for my lazy (and depressed) mind to pick up a video game controller rather than confront myself.
Walking away is not going to solve anything its just going to make everything so much harder.

Here's the thing, you are not alone. Your SO is there with you, she gives you room to find yourself but also a place where you can be comfortable and where you are safe. Talk with her, not whine, talk. Tell her your difficulties and how you are going to tackle your problems. So far she has been supportive, but don't take it for granted because there will and i promise there will be a time where she needs and is going to move on. If you are not going to help yourself how is she going to be able to help you.

I'm in therapy and she's told me I need to work on myself or she'll leave me once she sees I'm not doing anything. I have opportunities in front of me but I've even told her, it's just so easy to lay on the couch.

She told me this will be an issue when I realize I have no money left.
Start loving yourself and stop trying to sabotage yourself and your relationship.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A lot of good things already said, one big thing to change your life is start waking up early. Get out of bed by 6. Gym would be good but doesn't have to be that, just get up early and start doing something productive. Something will kick on in your brain when you start accomplishing things before other people are awake. It's hard to explain but it feels really damn good.

Shiki

Nov 30, 2017
@OP, I don't want to hijack this topic but I feel for you. I'm going through the exact same situation, bar the great partner and having any degree whatsoever.
At 36, I've lived my life going from one stroke of luck to the next, but I feel this can only go so far. I spend my evenings after work gaming or browsing the web to forget and not think about the future as I get anxious whenever I do. I have no idea where go, what to do... I tried coding for months but I hit a big wall and got discouraged (same can be said of any endeavours I partake in).

I'm going to try implementing some of the advice i've seen in the replies, very thoughtful stuff (albeit I imagine it's obvious stuff for some of you)

If you ever feel like talking, or just sharing and motivating each other, pm me OP. We both need all the pats on the back we can get. I'm sincerely, genuinely rooting for you.

Thanks everyone! This is my second post ever I think but I needed to reply to this... topics like this probably help a lot of lurkers such as me.
(english as second language, please be kind)

Oct 27, 2017
Boredom was and continues to be my primary motivator; I got sick of the boring shit I was doing for work and got sick of sitting at home and playing video games when I got laid off from my last full-time job, so I decided to go back to school. I got an interesting (I wouldn't necessarily call it fun) part-time job to limit my reliance on student loans and now I'm no longer bored.

What job did you don't that's interesting? I'm trying doing the same and need a part time job that's interesting but struggling to decided what to do that's at least engaging.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll get to the point. My partner has a fantastic career lined up and seems to always have the answers. She was motivated when she was young, pursued the career she wanted and now has it. Very compassionate and level headed.

I'm lazy. Early 30s, quit my last job because it was mentally killing me. I have a generic degree (business major with no connections) and am extremely lazy. My savings are going to run out soon.

I enjoy writing for fun and have started my own film analysis blog. But, most of the time, I feel lost. I'm home all day, jobless (for two months now) and depressed. I play video games all day now and feel like I have no energy unless I'm around her. I have extreme jealousy of people with careers or people who love what they're doing and getting paid for it. Like, I missed the boat on pursuing my career at a young age. That's what it feels like. Makes me feel really immature.

There's a lot I want to do but I feel too "dumb" or lazy (physically and mentally) to do it. Does anyone else feel that way or have felt that way? More to the point, is this who I'm going to be forever? Can I change when I'm already at this age? They say when you hit your mid-20s, your habits don't change.

Uproot yourself and expose yourself to new surroundings & people. New stimuli has a way of re-energizing you.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

Last bit is BULLLLLLLSHIIIIIIT. I'm 30 (about to be 31). I had bad habits for 30 years. Never had a gym routine. Always waking up late. Bombed out of college. Procrastinate.

As of last year I now regularly go to the gym 3 times a week (consistently for a year). I (for the last 3 months) wake up at 530 every single morning, make coffee, enjoy silence, repeat a mantra, journal my prior day and plan my current, read more habit craft material, have breakfast with the wife and go to work on time. I get my work done, I get my side projects done, I track my diet, I lose weight, I gain muscle, I no longer have angry outbursts, I no longer have deep episodes of sadness. My habits and I have changed dramatically. Anyone can change anytime. You can start now. When you pick a habit, do the absolute minimum, but do it consistently. For working out, just put on workout shoes and do 5 pushups. Consistently. Every time. Once that is a habit, build upon it.

Read (or audiobook) things that help with habit craft. Power of Habit is good. Atomic Habits is also good. Getting Things Done is great for organization. Learn BuJo. Google ways to establish habits. Buy things that help craft habits (i.e. journals, timers, automated things).

If you've got mental healthcare, a CBT psychologist will also help as well. Helps you reevaluate your cognition of things and improves your mindfullness.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35509

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I think my girlfriend is in the resentment stage. She's talking about how nothing has changed in the year since she's first bought it up. I can't live without her, we're so connected in so many ways.

I'd probably lose my job if she broke up with me. And I think this anti-depressant I've been on has caused us to have no real intimacy in a long time and she points out how I seem okay with it. I barely move.

You guys gave a lot of great advice but it's hard to move. I haven't changed much, I still go to the ouch and game or lay in bed. I'm so scared of losing her and everything we have together, I'd rather die because I'm so pathetic if it that happened. 36 and nothing going for me. I don't know what to do.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I think my girlfriend is in the resentment stage. She's talking about how nothing has changed in the year since she's first bought it up. I can't live without her, we're so connected in so many ways.

I'd probably lose my job if she broke up with me. And I think this anti-depressant I've been on has caused us to have no real intimacy in a long time and she points out how I seem okay with it. I barely move.

You guys gave a lot of great advice but it's hard to move. I haven't changed much, I still go to the ouch and game or lay in bed. I'm so scared of losing her and everything we have together, I'd rather die because I'm so pathetic if it that happened. 36 and nothing going for me. I don't know what to do.

Pick one thing you want to change. One habit. Pick it now. What is it?

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was in a similar position two years ago. The best advice I can give you is therapy. It's the best and healthiest decision I ever made.

If you have health insurance (which, given your scenario, seems unlikely), then see if there are any mental health benefits that will allow you to get a counselor or therapist to talk to. If not, pay for it out of pocket. I know that sounds unappealing, but it can be done, and there are plenty of resources designed to help people find affordable and even free therapy. At the time I sought therapy, I was making significantly less than I am now. I used a website where therapists could offer their services at discounted rates for lower income folk, and I managed to secure a woman who was insanely professional and helpful for $50 per week. This was in Orange County, where therapy can easily run $200+ a week.

It was difficult to swallow the cost at first, but adjusting a few unnecessary common purchases (fast food, coffee, video games, etc.) helped make up for it. Like i said, it was an investment in myself, my mental health, and my life, and it absolutely worked. It took a minute, and I definitely sat around for the first few months waiting for something to happen, but that's not really how it works. It's not a magical cure for anxiety or depression, but it will absolutely help you understand underlying causes, deal with anxiety and depression when they crop up, and give you the encouragement you need to manage those as you make further strides in life.

In my case, I've managed to turn my career around, secure the healthiest relationship of my life, become much healthier physically, and I'm about to hit my two year anniversary since I had my last cigarette. It's important to keep in mind that I did all of these things for me, and you can to, but were it not for therapy, I'd have struggled far more than I did.

You're also wasting a lot of time, being unemployed. Get to the gym, or if you can't reasonably pay for that, utilize any local hiking trails, public pools (or rivers, or the beach, or lakes) to swim, and failing all of that- just go for a walk. Put on some pleasant instrumental music (I like classical and post-rock a lot) and go for a walk every single day. I promise you it will improve your mental health very quickly. If you already currently walk, do it without distractions. Don't look at your phone, don't stop every five minutes to engage with something, etc. Pop your headphones in, put on some calming instrumental music, and walk for a mile. If you can go further, go further.

It's okay to start small. You can do it.

EDIT: Just saw that you mentioned you're already in therapy, and she's threatening to drop you. If your therapist is posing an ultimatum like that, she's a bad therapist, and you need to leave her. It's understandable if a therapist has to stop providing services due to a patient's inability to pay (sad as that is), but if she's just straight saying that you need to improve or she'll leave, then she's not only a bad therapist, but a bad person. Leave her now and find someone new, and one piece of advice that really helped me- start delving into your past. No matter what it is, how long ago it happened, or how much you're certain you've already dealt with it. Just talk about it.

For example, I thought my relationship with my parents, bad as it is/was, was totally squared away in my head. My therapist was able to show me how it was still affecting my current relationships, though, and showed me the bumps in the road that I could identify as I moved forward, which helped considerably in dealing with those bumps. I started a relationship that I'm still in a few months after beginning therapy, and I would have absolutely sabotaged it without the therapy. This woman is my future wife, no doubt in my mind, and I would have totally dropped her had I not sought help earlier and independent of the relationship.

I'm not expert myself, but if I had to guess, she's threatening to drop you because she's tried everything she can and it hasn't helped, which could mean she's bad at her job. It would be one thing if she was admitting that she might not be your best bet, and recommended you to a colleague that would better suit you, but just outright saying she's going to stop helping sucks.

EDIT 2: I also hate to throw this accusation out there, but try to evaluate how you interact with her. If you're sabotaging your relationship with your girlfriend and anyone else you're close to, it might be the case that you're also sabotaging your relationship with your therapist. I might be wrong about her being bad at her job, and she might just not be willing to put up with your abuse.

Again, I'm not trying to accuse you of treating your therapist poorly, but do try to consider how you come off from her perspective and make sure that you're treating her with professional courtesy and respect. If that's the case, and she still refuses to help you, then yeah, drop her.

And finally, read this reddit post: No Zero Days. I promise it will help.

Last edited: