SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
This is my favorite character in the series.

daitr9.jpg

The main motif of this character is time and place. He is introduced as a time traveler from the future. He wants to create a new, better timeline. There are two canon versions of him, and one "what-if" if we count GT. Both versions are vastly different people due to the different environments that they grew up in.

ao2m05A_700b.jpg

Future Trunks is a no-nonsense warrior who wants nothing more than to see justice done and order restored. He is not a fighter like Goku or Vegeta; he gets no inherent satisfaction from battle, but does so out of necessity. He is quiet, polite, and reserved. This mirrors the attitude of his mentor, Gohan, who was, like him, a very talented fighter who would rather not use his skills unless absolutely necessary. Gohan was also similarly polite in his mannerisms. Since this Trunks never knew peace, it is his primary goal in life to achieve it, and he will do anything to reach that end. Future Trunks is a serious guy with serious problems.

latest

Meanwhile, Present Trunks is a goof-off who wants nothing more than to have fun. He is in every way his father's son, always trying to prove himself and feeling entitled to being the best and getting what he wants. He likes to toy with his opponents and badmouth them while doing it. At the end of the day, life is a game to him, and he's more than happy to spend his days hanging out with his best friend Goten and living a life of no worries. Unlike his original counterpart, he never spent much time with Gohan, and so doesn't share many, if any, of his personality traits, instead reflecting much more of his father and his best friend. Present Trunks is a laid back guy with gung-ho personality.

DOUhKYwXkAE3ZkE.jpg

Interestingly enough, both in GT, the flash-forward at the end of Z, and even in the Future Trunks arc of Super, we can see shades of maturity in Present Trunks once he reaches the same age as his future self. However, both in Z and GT, he is nowhere near the super-serious warrior he was in the original timeline. Even though we can see that he's cooled down a bit by the end of Z, he's still a lot more laid back than Future Trunks.

tumblr_orxneo4UvB1uuj1vto1_400.gif

Aside from how cool I think Future Trunks is in general, I love the way this character is a case study for nature vs. nurture, and how he differs from the other protagonists in the series. His attitude, weapon, appearance, and fighting style all stand out from the other Z Fighters. I think he's my favorite character in the series for this reason. I also tend to count his future and present selves together, because one couldn't exist without the other.

What do you think?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I will never forgive Toriyama for the Future Trunks arc in Dragonball Super, especially the utterly miserable way he ended it. Trunks deserved a good ending, not the trash Toriyama saddled him with.

He should've just crossed over to the prime timeline for good. Kid Trunks is useless anyway.

Deleted member 171

Oct 25, 2017
He's perfectly fine. I liked him in both Z and Super.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Great writeup. Future Trunks has always been a major fan favorite, and with good reason.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He's aight. But he was fucking cool when I was a teenager.

As an adult I think Vegeta is way cooler.

Also I'm not sure about the decision to make his world twice-destroyed in Super. First by the Androids, then by Black. It's kind of overkill and really derivative of the same shit.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I will never forgive Toriyama for the Future Trunks arc in Dragonball Super, especially the utterly miserable way he ended it. Trunks deserved a good ending, not the trash Toriyama saddled him with.

He should've just crossed over to the prime timeline for good. Kid Trunks is useless anyway.
I didn't like how he gave him a bad ending, but I did like how that arc finally let him shine as a protagonist. His new techniques, forms, and abilities (he used his sword a lot!) were really cool. I have mixed feelings about it.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
They gave him a kinda fucked up ending in Super. Almost nightmarish if you think about it for more than 10 seconds

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like how he gave him a bad ending, but I did like how that arc finally let him shine as a protagonist. His new techniques, forms, and abilities (he used his sword a lot!) were really cool. I have mixed feelings about it.

I wish the show let him have the win instead of having Zamasu IMMEDIATELY erase it so Zeno could come in and save the day.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
He's aight. But he was fucking cool when I was a teenager.

As an adult I think Vegeta is way cooler.

Also I'm not sure about the decision to make his world twice-destroyed in Super. First by the Androids, then by Black. It's kind of overkill and really derivative of the same shit.
It makes sense if you think about it as a direct result of him meddling with time. It makes (at least some) of the gods very angry and feel like he needs to be punished for it, which is a great way of bouncing off of the world building from the Buu arc. I do think it was a bit overkill how they handled it, but conceptually, it was kind of cool.

I wish the show let him have the win instead of having Zamasu IMMEDIATELY erase it so Zeno could come in and save the day.
I agree. That's my biggest complaint with that arc.

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Hes awesome. Wish we got to see him more than a few times per decade.

When he came back in Super I was hoping it was for good.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense if you think about it as a direct result of him meddling with time. It makes (at least some) of the gods very angry and feel like he needs to be punished for it, which is a great way of bouncing off of the world building from the Buu arc. I do think it was a bit overkill how they handled it, but conceptually, it was kind of cool.
Yeah it's not terrible but could have been executed better, agreed.

May 30, 2018
He's a breath of fresh air compared to the rest of the cast. No nonsense and just wants to take care of business. He honestly should have been a main stay after the Super Arc and joined for the ToP

As for Kid Trunks, that's just not a character lol.

I'd make it so Kid Trunks and Goten permanently fuse into Gotenks, and have Future Trunks live permanently in the main timeline.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Trunks was cool in the fucked future timeline because he finished opponents as soon as possible since he knew it was dangerous to just keep them alive for the hell of it or the thrill of the fight like his dumbass dad and Goku. It's super interesting that in the main timeline he's basically a completely different person though, it makes sense given the context but I still wish there were more cases of people acting like Future Trunks because that's, you know, the actual smart thing to do in regards to most of these fucking world/galaxy ending threats.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was my favorite for that brief time where he's the strongest character in the series and immediately kills Frieza upon arrival. He wears a cool jacket, has a sword and long purple hair instead of black spiky hair like all the other saiyans. He was mysterious. The shit was tight back in the day.
Everything after is whatever. Future Trunks coming back didn't really hit anymore. It's been done.
And kid Trunks is just annoying as hell.

Oct 25, 2017
Future Trunks (DBZ): Love him. Super awesome. Best design.

Present Trunks (Kid): Hate him. Very obnoxious character.

Future Trunks (DBS): Hate him. Whiny and pathetic. Worst design also.

Trunks (DBGT): Love him, he's his own character. Not tormented like Future Trunks, and not obnoxious as his younger self. Mature, but goofy at the same time.

brinstar

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of his first appearance which was cool as hell, he was just kind of there to me. Even though he kicked off the Cell arc he kind of just faded into the background. And kid Trunks is just kind of whatever.

I did like his return in DBS. They should've let him do more though. He's cute with Mai.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Future Trunks peaked in his debut performance against Frieza and King Kold. I wish I was joking about that, but when you look back at the tape, he didn't do much of anything beyond that.

Kid Trunks is a nobody.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He's alright, hated that he got a random gift power up at the end of his Super arc though

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
He peaked with the long hair design ,too bad they went away from it.

3368360-pdvd_048.png

a65905bfcb9114fb110555b8206cd53cfa850d44_hq.jpg

f91ce92ad27e831426dbc61a634bc1cc.jpg
I agree that this design is really cool. It's implied that he prefers the shorter hair though, because the only reason he has it is because he didn't get to cut his hair for a year and he does it first chance he gets after all the fighting is done.

Long hair/ponytail is my favorite look for him.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
Trunks was cool in the fucked future timeline because he finished opponents as soon as possible since he knew it was dangerous to just keep them alive for the hell of it or the thrill of the fight like his dumbass dad and Goku.

Not to mention, Trunks is the only one strong enough to protect his world and he knows it. He can't afford to let opponents get the upper hand because there's no one to take his place if he's struck down.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Future Trunks got fucking robbed during his arc in Super. Should have ended at the obvious spot, rather than shit all over him and his future just so Goku could press a button.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I once heard his looks were kinda inspired by Leonardo DiCaprio from his Titanic days... is that true?

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
His intro where he comes in and dices freiza is probably the coolest moment in the show.

Is this from the actually show? Looks budget AF, I thought it was a fan animation at first.

Dragon Ball Super had mostly terrible quality animation and picture quality until the last season. It progressively improved to a point though that, the highest quality DBS stuff is easily the best quality DB there is.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
His design/drawing and how is hair looks is fucking trash in Super. God I hate that Arc. That entire arc looked like some newgrounds fan made bullshit.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Trunks in Z was cool for about 10mins when he killed Freezer. After that he became a punchline.

But Trunks in Super? Dude was a badass. Super took him and made him a cool character again and i appreciated that.