doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
This is something I've been wondering for a little while now and I'm genuinely curious what combination of features, gameplay, gear, items, loot, skills and rpg elements would make the perfect concoction of a "looter shooter". What's the best way to cater to both fans of single and multiplayer? And how does it stay relevant in this cluttered market?

I myself have put many hours into a few of the usual loot-based suspects like Borderlands, Destiny and Diablo. However, there are "a-lot" of them out there, so I figured I'd ask here and see what a collective mind could come up with?
---
I'll get straight to the meat of things. Personally, Borderlands 2 was the apex for me, but it lacked so much in comparison with other games. B3's skill tree was much better, but augmenting your character sucked. D4 (IMO...) had great equipment customization because the gear heavily dictated what skills you "should" use. And I loved that certain equipment could completely change how your character played, like it went against the rules of your skill tree. Destiny and Titanfall 2 have some of the best gunplay and mobility features, but the former was garbage when it came to character abilities. I'd also argue that the guardians are booorrriiinng. Where's the creativity? Look at the heroes in Overwatch, Valorant, Apex Legends and Borderlands. Visually pleasing, but some personalities are up for debate.
I think the best world size is somewhere between B2 and B3. Not too small, not obnoxiously huge. And I liked how nearly(?) every piece of resource material in D4 served a purpose. Whether using it to craft or make a purchase. The grind loop didn't feel old for dozens of hours. Speaking of gameplay time, I'm not a fan of short campaigns like Destiny has. I prefer full course adventures and I'm use to that sort of treatment in the Borderlands franchise, but for as much time as I spent decking my character out in single player, there's barely a reason to touch pvp. It sucks. I guess that's where Destiny and some hero shooters comes in? I'm no expert on pvp though.
I wish I could give a better opinion on what model should be used for post release updates, but I only have experience with season passes (B2&B3). Not once have I purchase a battle pass.

Is there any particular game you think has a great feature that is an absolute necessary?
looter-shooters.png

arpgs.png

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Like any good ARPG like Path of Exile you want a good amount of build variety and something to chase to get the best in slot. Something that makes you want to make a hundred different characters because you always want to try a new build and get the best items and weapons for that build. If you're making Diablo with guns you have to have that loot chase with good gun feel. I want to go from a weak no body to getting a build so strong that in the end I shoot once and every effect going off all at once makes the game hitch for a second then drops my framerate to 5fps because it has to calculate so much bullshit and I kill god in 1 shot.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
why is google calling monster hunter rise a shlooter

hunter games are their own genre

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Its pretty much Borderlands for me. It is exactly what I want from this genre.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Its exactly like borderlands but with good writing. Not really that out of reach.

sophora

Oct 29, 2017

Yep, my goto after all these years. My old account regularly wakes up from cryosleep for updates but I have the advantage of playing for a while, so a stack of materials to build stuff with. New updates this year has me jumping back in again tho to catch up on newer areas. Also one of the best 3rd person movement systems I've experienced, once you get a hang of it, you can flow around like water.

OP
OP
doemaaan

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
Like any good ARPG like Path of Exile you want a good amount of build variety and something to chase to get the best in slot. Something that makes you want to make a hundred different characters because you always want to try a new build and get the best items and weapons for that build. If you're making Diablo with guns you have to have that loot chase with good gun feel. I want to go from a weak no body to getting a build so strong that in the end I shoot once and every effect going off all at once makes the game hitch for a second then drops my framerate to 5fps because it has to calculate so much bullshit and I kill god in 1 shot.
My only issue with this is I think I'd prefer it if it was extremely difficult to obtain that level of power. Everybody can't be blasting shit like Doomer Slayer and the bfg.

Oh, and having the ability to keep multiple build loadouts is a must. Wanting to respec and try out different builds shouldn't pain the player.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, BL1 is still my favorite in terms of mechanics...

It's the weapon proficiencies that put it over the top, even if the movement and gunplay is dated, that one mechanic is so wildly under utilized it's criminal. It's one of the reasons i also like Dungeon Siege 1 and 2.

Not having to lock yourself into a class that can only use a specific type of weaponry and rather allow you to craft your class around the weapons you use (even if your class gives certain bonuses to a specific type of gun) is a level of freedom you typically dont get in a lot of RPGs.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
You need the shooting, special abilities and supers to feel amazing. The amazing gameplay should be the main reason you turn up to chase the loot. The hardest part is making endless content to satiate the need of the players.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Bungie has had a lot of ups and downs but Destiny still here. Still doing well

I think Destiny does most of it right

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
Borderlands 3 but with 2s loot and story. I loved 3s skill trees and powers and level designs I thought they were great..but the loot was garbage. That legendary loot pool was so bloated with shit just to say it's raining legendaries !! HOW MANY FUCKING WOODBLOCKERS DO I NEED???

Bengraven