Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I was watching a review of "Freddie got Fingered" and even as a kid , I knew he was painfully unfunny....I can't comprehend how he was so famous.... I'm just baffled. I feel the same way about Jackass, in their case , I guess it was kinda funny at first, but it quickly lost it's appeal when they did the same stupid shit over and over.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
He'd been a pretty successful comedian long before FGF so there must certainly have been plenty of people who liked his comedy. Not my cup of tea by a looooooooooooooong stretch but I can easily say that about 100 other comedians out there who've had hugely successful careers.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Not a particularly difficult question to answer. Just go to youtube and see the popularity of channels dedicated to asinine antics bothering the public. People gobble that shit up.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The tom green show was pretty great and he was doing weird people on the street shit before it got popular, wasn't he?

Also he was In a very Canadian rap group.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Because The Tom Green Show (not The Green Tom Show) was amazing?

It is my favorite show.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
look he's willing to get covered in elephant cum in the pursuit of comedies and others aren't. it's not tough. quality speaks.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
And yo, FGF is straight up an amazing artistic endeavor. Rip Torn was rippin' and tearin'.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I've never seen the movie "Freddy got fingered" (only the RLM re:View) but I remember Tom Green from the Jackass days. I think they all popped up the right place in time to catch the attention of viewers, when cam recorders became more viable after the Americas Funniest Home Video time has past and before Youtube. They crashed right through the wall of what you shouldn't show by being reckless and disgusting and they weren't afraid of completely wrecking their own reputation by doing so. It was either Knoxville or Steve O that said it in an interview once, they did it all to themselves, a circle of friends and family. Not to strangers on the street, in the sense that there is a difference between what they did and the terrible Youtube prank videos that were/are borderline harmful to others, at least from what I've read, I don't really watch these videos on YT.

Arguably Tom Green was involving other people from the streets but it was a bit different.
I think it was his total display of self-destruction in the public space that drew people in like an accident, then the dude married a movie star and showed up in some movies himself.

As it was presented in the re:View video, dude really only was famous for that time period but I really like the idea of him burning through investor money with his "Freddy got fingered" movie, it's hard to believe that really was the case but it would be the greatest "prank" anyone has ever done in the movie business.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i don't understand how Christopher Titus got famous but you don't see me makin threads

ethranes

A King's Landing
Oct 27, 2017
you can't comprehend how people get famous? are you trying to be famous and failing or something? people (regardless of who or what) are famous because people follow their careers

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I dunno. I even grew up watching his trash local show in Ottawa and was confused when he got noticed by the US.

Oct 25, 2017
He had a relatively successful show on Canadian TV for several years, MTV took a chance on picking it up for US audiences, and shit took off. It may not be your thing, but there is no denying he was little bit of a pop culture phenomenon for a couple of years there.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
you can't comprehend how people get famous? are you trying to be famous and failing or something? people (regardless of who or what) are famous because people follow their careers
Why so hostile , I can understand most people getting famous.....but not comedy like Tom Green, I would imagine that kind of stuff would get old really quick, and lol naw im good , no desire to be famous.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why so hostile , I can understand most people getting famous.....but not comedy like Tom Green, I would imagine that kind of stuff would get old really quick, and lol naw im good , no desire to be famous.

He's being hostile because it's incredibly infantile to express your dislike for something by claiming you do not understand how said thing can be popular.

dc3k

Feb 10, 2018
not america
I also can't figure out how someone that I personally don't care for is successful and popular. It doesn't make any sense!!!!!!!!

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Right person, right time. Sometimes the right people manage to tap into the status quo for as long as it's relevant and they quickly rise to fame until the status quo changes and they don't change with it.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
lol I guess I hit a nerve , I don't care if he's popular, I mean good for him for getting his brand of comedy popular :D, I am just curious how it got so popular for so long.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
it was edgy late 90s/early 00s shit, prank shows like Punk'd, Jackass, Dirty Sanchez and Tom Green torturing his parents were legitimate entertainment

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
He had a cable access show in Ottawa, which was as close to YouTube as you could get in the '90s. Then a Canadian cable network took a gamble on him for cheap content.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
You're like 20 years late to this party.

EDIT: Also, please appreciate that nowadays you get rich and famous yelling "lolol RAPE" while playing Minecraft.

EDIT 2: Also I just remembered this.

And it is amazing.

Last edited:

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I guess it was the in thing in that time...but looking now , wow , I cant picture what people find appealing about it.

It it comedy, and not all comedy appeals to everyone. I don't find most comedians funny but I understand the appeal they have to people.

Tom Green was the predecessor for people like Eric Andre. His humor is weird and quirky, it definitely appealed to teenagers and young adults in a weird transitional era of the late 90s/00s. Half the reason I love Eric Andre is because he feels like an extension of that humor.

you should watch some YouTube videos on Freddy Got Fingered. It's actually a genius move, he got the studio to put a shit ton of money into a Hollywood movie where he was allowed to do whatever he wanted and make the most ridiculous thing to ever get on screen. I'm not sure how he managed it.

Last edited:

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
As a teenager when his stuff was kicking off, I found it pretty zany and amusing. I remember the bum bum song well.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I never warmed to Tom Green. Found both him and Andy Dick too grating to be funny.