Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Each generation we hear claims this system is going to be easier to make games on yet we see the same patterns of long development and delays. What are the main issues and why do some development teams seem to always get away with it?

Guru_Godzilla

Jul 10, 2018
Shorter games and smaller scopes in general. Both things that won't really happen. More developers only goes so far. Software development takes time.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
cost-speed-quality-venn-diagrampng.png

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Stop asking for games to be 90hr replayable collectathons where you can go to every mountain for a piece of a weapon that is worse then one you already have and will only be used to clear out a camp of the same enemy type on the last 5 islands that will all respawn when you leave anyway

Surprise here's the dlc update with the Blue skin we left out at launch but can be yours for $5 or the max value $99 pack that also includes Red and this photo of our designer crying because we don't let her leave

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Depends what you mean by quality.

Plenty of fantastic games out there that didn't take very long to make. That's part of why game jams exist.

OP
OP
Iron Eddie

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Depends what you mean by quality.

Plenty of fantastic games out there that didn't take very long to make. That's part of why game jams exist.
Not talking about those games but rather games that take longer than they should and development teams that always seem to get away with delays (or lengthy development and few games).

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
How about slow it down instead?

It being this fast is why there's so much crunch and 100+ hour work weeks in the industry. Why on earth would you want to speed that up more?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
It's really weird that you're phrasing this as "Getting away with it". Better tools and hardware allow for high quality games, and high quality games take longer to make than lower quality games.

There's already publishers that share assets and mechanics to speed up development, ubisoft has an army of devs all over the world to generate the insane amount of assets and content they pump out. Most developers and franchises can't hire 11,000 developers to have a rotation of yearly assassins creed games.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Not talking about those games but rather games that take longer than they should and development teams that always seem to get away with delays (or lengthy development and few games).

That can happen for all kinds of reasons.

Maybe a feature they thought would be simple is actually really hard, maybe a decision was made by management that takes longer, maybe a serious bug is difficult to fix, etc.

Obviously some stuff is mostly just tedious like asset creation, which is part of what Unreal 5's demo was focusing on. Or being to use in engine tools that preciously required buying some middleware or making the tool yourself.

I'm not a gamedev though so if one of them decides to pop in they could probably explain it better.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Vote with your wallet, there's a reason these days a company like EA or Activision makes half of its money on micro transactions and put out only GAAS.

They don't do it because they think we like complaining about it

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Stop asking for games to be 90hr replayable collectathons where you can go to every mountain for a piece of a weapon that is worse then one you already have and will only be used to clear out a camp of the same enemy type on the last 5 islands that will all respawn when you leave anyway

Surprise here's the dlc update with the Blue skin we left out at launch but can be yours for $5 or the max value $99 pack that also includes Red and this photo of our designer crying because we don't let her leave
"So our CEO's kid played the game..."

giphy.webp

OP
OP
Iron Eddie

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
How about slow it down instead?

It being this fast is why there's so much crunch and 100+ hour work weeks in the industry. Why on earth would you want to speed that up more?
Then perhaps the scale of the game is unrealistic or they went in without a great plan. To me this all relates to the issues surrounding AAA games and why the $60 retail is the problem. That's why we have crunch because the game is likely then marketed to sell at least 10 million copies but you also have hundreds of people working on the game those costs quickly add up. This all makes it that much harder for the AA games to compete.

That can happen for all kinds of reasons.

Maybe a feature they thought would be simple is actually really hard, maybe a decision was made by management that takes longer, maybe a serious bug is difficult to fix, etc.

Obviously some stuff is mostly just tedious like asset creation, which is part of what Unreal 5's demo was focusing on. Or being to use in engine tools that preciously required buying some middleware or making the tool yourself.

I'm not a gamedev though so if one of them decides to pop in they could probably explain it better.

I understand that but there are some developers who always seem to have projects delayed or extended development time. I guess the question then is what is realistic and why does it keep happening?

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Smart tools like Houdini & lot of outsourcing or Studio culture.

CDRED on TW3 is Masterclass. 3,5 years of development.

Mar 3, 2018
AI / Machine Learning

Rockstar is going to feed Red Dead Redemption 2 into a supercomputer which will analyze the game world, and based on it create a world for Red Dead Redemption 3 with higher quality assets. All rockstar has to do is customize main characters and deal with the story and VA.

Saved them 30% - 40% dev time right there. No longer will 500 people have to work 16 hour days to place rocks and shrubs all around the game map. DM me if y'all are hiring.

note : I have no idea what I'm talking about

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
Then perhaps the scale of the game is unrealistic or they went in without a great plan. To me this all relates to the issues surrounding AAA games and why the $60 retail is the problem. That's why we have crunch because the game is likely then marketed to sell at least 10 million copies but you also have hundreds of people working on the game those costs quickly add up. This all makes it that much harder for the AA games to compete.
Pretty much. Massive budgets, strict schedules, and the furthering of expectations based on how the previous biggest-project-ever went are the reasons why all of this happens, and why the industry has so much burnout right now - and look at how many major games on that scale launch with huge, bugs and problems and day-one patches.

This will make its unsustainability obvious eventually (and watch every major publisher be [shocked pikachu face] in response...), either from an expenditure standpoint or a human resources standpoint.

I almost universally find smaller-budget "AA" games a whole lot better of an experience than the typical AAA game anyway, just because they put more of an emphasis on gameplay than marketability.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I understand that but there are some developers who always seem to have projects delayed or extended development time. I guess the question then is what is realistic and why does it keep happening?

You ever have a manager/boss at a job that sucks at time/project management yet gets put on tasks anyway? That's a huge reason why right there.

Also cuz there are no unions. Also cuz games are just really hard to make. The only other type of software I can think of that's that difficult to make is probably an operating system.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cutting down the scope of your game probably helps and outsourcing tasks to other companies helps too.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
More sequels with rehashed assets, more cut content that can be sold as DLC, more crunch, outsourcing certain creation to low cost countries.

Oct 27, 2017
There need to be some way to make asset creation massively easier. As resolution and visual fidelity increase, I think that's what's taking increasingly the most time

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
There need to be some way to make asset creation massively easier. As resolution and visual fidelity increase, I think that's what's taking increasingly the most time

Unreal's recent demo talked a lot about that. If you go back to the thread for the demo some of the devs seemed really excited about a lot of the asset importing stuff.

Apparently Epic bought some texture library company recently, so I'm sure that'll help speed things up too.

Oklusion

Nov 22, 2018
Make the full game at prototype level quality, and only after that has been playtested and iterated move to full production.

A big part of the cost of making a game is things that got thrown out because they didn't work. Iteration with near final quality assets is expensive.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Focus on what matters. We don't need endgame, loot, level ups and replayability in every game. We also don't need open worlds with 80% filler content in most games.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Focus on what matters. We don't need endgame, loot, level ups and replayability in every game. We also don't need open worlds with 80% filler content in most games.

Then it'll be harder to put MTX in their games. That's part of why we have so many open world games and looter shooters this gen.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
We'll probably reach a point where AI and machine learning will allow to automatize a large part of the time consuming aspects of game development. It's the only way I see the medium being able to take advantage of the insanely powerful machines that we'll have in a few years...

Twelvy

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
You need good tools, a fast iteration time, realtime visualization of everything in your game (don't wait 15 min for your lightmaps to bake, 15 min of importing your assets), automate everything you can. Achieving this takes time though.
The industry needs to be better at estimating the time and cost of making a game, but I don't know which industry is.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Lot of armchair devs here with reductive takes. If there were easy answers, devs would have clearly adopted them, it seems to me.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
It is faster, it's just the more limitations that are removed and standards are set, the more ambitious developers tend to get. Games on the same scale as several years ago are still being made, but not by the big, budget pushing and industry defining devs of today. The bar keeps getting raised higher, higher, and higher.