For US politics and election threads

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us...l-diversity-abortion-troops-pay-14181290.html
Source - Stars and Stripes

WASHINGTON — The Republican-led House on Friday narrowly passed a defense policy bill that tacked on conservative culture war provisions to a bipartisan effort to improve quality of life for service members. The vote fell largely along party lines, 217-199, and followed days of heated debate over the $895 billion Servicemember Quality of Life Improvement and National Defense Authorization Act, an annual must-pass bill that this year named the well-being of troops as a top focus.

The House Armed Services Committee had sent the legislation to the full House with nearly unanimous bipartisan approval but backing for the bill from Democrats fell away as Republicans added amendments targeting abortion access for troops and other controversial social policies. The Senate Armed Services Committee was also set to release its draft of the defense authorization bill on Friday. A final version is negotiated by both chambers of Congress and typically passed before the end of the year.

In the House version of the legislation, Republicans successfully voted to block the Defense Department from reimbursing travel costs for service members and dependents who need to cross state lines to obtain an abortion or other reproductive health care — a red line for many Democrats. Rep. Beth Van Duyne, R-Texas, introduced the amendment and argued the Pentagon policy violated laws that prevent taxpayer dollars from being used for abortions.

The Justice Department has upheld the legality of the policy. "Under stretched [Defense Department] resources already, to underwrite abortions through funding for flights and hotels is simply pandering to the abortion lobby and does nothing to increase our national security," Van Duyne said. Another amendment prevents the military's health care program – known as Tricare – from covering gender-transition surgeries and hormone therapies for transgender troops.

Republicans also voted to eliminate all diversity, equity and inclusion offices in the military and institute a permanent hiring freeze for DEI jobs. "The adoption of poison pill amendments attacking reproductive health care, women, LGBTQ+ individuals and people of color undermines the purpose of the defense bill by demeaning service members and degrading our national security," top Democrats on the House Armed Services Committee said in a statement.

Read more at: https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us...l-diversity-abortion-troops-pay-14181290.html
Source - Stars and Stripes

Elections matter.

Within the bill there's also automatic registration into the draft for males 18-25 as well. Young men usually had to fill out an online form for this.

Kiyamet

Apr 21, 2024
User Banned (3 Days): Drive by trolling
Do they matter though? Democrats won everything and are still losing.

Holmes

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Calling selective service the draft is a little misleading because the country doesn't have a draft. I had to sign up for it when I immigrated here. Bringing back the draft would be political suicide.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com

"won everything" one time and then lose everything two times because people think they won everything already

It is about being consistently voting every opportunity and inching the government forward. Letting Republicans win is is not going to help progressive causes even if not all Dems are super progressive…

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Republicans are signaling to their base what they will do if they get the Presidency and the Senate (and keep the House).

Oct 31, 2017
If this were to get through, armed forces would start moving bases away from "unfriendly" states. Troop readiness is too important and moves like this bill actively harm that. That'll be a huge economic impact on those areas.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't that mean that the Senate will pass their own version and impose it on the House like they usually do?

Senate can't "impose" a bill onto the House any more than you or I can.

Identical bills have to pass both chambers to make it to the president's desk. This is a show vote similar to HR1 in 2020 when Democrats held they House but not the Senate. They passed that resolution like a couple dozen times but nothing materialized because Mitch McConnell let it die in the docket every time.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017

This is exactly the kind of attitude that fascists LOVE to see.

The news is always depressing, and it's easy to let that feeling get to you, but don't give it to 'em.

The Justice Department has upheld the legality of the policy. "Under stretched [Defense Department] resources already, to underwrite abortions through funding for flights and hotels is simply pandering to the abortion lobby and does nothing to increase our national security," Van Duyne said. Another amendment prevents the military's health care program – known as Tricare – from covering gender-transition surgeries and hormone therapies for transgender troops.

"Stretched", eh? We could solve homelessness in this country with a fraction of what we spend on "defense", but please keep making this about the "abortion lobby," Beth.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the draft bit already a thing? I remember having to opt in (granted this was like 10 years ago)

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
It can always be worse, Trump is far worse than many other republicans. The man is unstable, irrational, driven out of vengeance, and broken from traditional republican thought.

He's the template from this point forward. Every GOP Presidential candidate will model themselves after him and he'll just run again in 2028 if he loses this year. It is going to happen eventually

Oct 25, 2017
He's the template from this point forward. Every GOP Presidential candidate will model themselves after him and he'll just run again in 2028 if he loses this year. It is going to happen eventually
I suppose I just disagree. If Trump loses again, I think the republican party is going to have a realization that he is a loser. We shall see.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I'd argue 2000 was more important. Which basically means we let the court shape itself. What could go wrong?
Yeah 2000 was a bad blow. Like legit crazy how different the last 20 years would have turned out if Gore had won (or at least won in the way that matters). Just knowing we'd never have invaded Iraq (and 9/11 may not have happened) on top of a having pro-environment president at a time when fighting Climate Change was still doable without significant sacrifice is...saddening.

I'll confess that as my first election I did vote for Nader/Green Party, though it was a calculated vote - I supported Gore but wanted a third party to cross that 5% threshold to get funding. I lived in Maryland which was a guaranteed Gore win so it was a safe bet. If there'd been any chance of a tighter race I would have gone for Gore.

Of course either the Greens have gone off the deep end or I just learned more about them since then (or I just realized in our system they had little purpose on a national level) and it's been straight blue every 2 years since then plus voting in every Primary I can to shift rep/senators leftward. Did succeed in that last part in my district! Ayanna Pressley primaried our previous rep and won, who was fairly progressive in his own right.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017

its bad thinking like this that gets us into the mess we're in today. I thought the 2016 and 4 years of trump would've changed this line of thinking but I guess not…(assuming you are American; but even then no matter where you are in the world they are causes I'm sure are near and dear to you and the only way to protect and enshrine them is to vote)

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose I just disagree. If Trump loses again, I think the republican party is going to have a realization that he is a loser. We shall see.
That, and he'll be in his mid 80's by 2028 and even more mush brained than he already is now. If he's even alive 4 years from now.

He is absolutely done if he loses again this fall.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020

People have been predicting that the GOP will pivot to the center ever since the second lose to Obama when that internal audit of the party told them that was the way forward. Under Trump they have also performed remarkably poorly in both midterm and special elections. They have never pivoted, they only continued to go further to the right. There's no reason outside blind optimism to expect a lose in 2024 is going to be some inflection point. They can't win with just their base but they still need their base to win in the end, and their base wants fascism

Oct 25, 2017
Is this so certain though? If Trump being 100% uncut Trump still loses and dies, how exactly are people doing a poor man's Trump impression going to fair any better? It's a cult that worships a singular man. Once the leader dies, the cult doesn't automatically get grandfathered into the next lunatic. A second loss will only cement that "more Trump" just means more losses.

Besides it's not the "next Trump" we should be worried about, it's having the dem candidate so weak that any R with a pulse could stroll into the Oval Office, which is a much likelier possibility.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Is this so certain though? If Trump being 100% uncut Trump still loses and dies, how exactly are people doing a poor man's Trump impression going to fair any better? It's a cult that worships a singular man. Once the leader dies, the cult doesn't automatically get grandfathered into the next lunatic. It's not the "next Trump" we should be worried about, it's having the dem candidate so weak that any R with a pulse could stroll into the Oval Office, which is a much likelier possibility.

Yes, it is. Outside 2016, Trump's GOP has performed pretty poorly in every metric. But the party still is going all in on him again. Because he represented what the GOP voting base wants: fascism

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't be so sure. He swats away everybody in that party on a national stage with ease, and there is no appetite for an imitator.
Yep, I think he will continue to seek the White House until he dies honestly.

He's also propped up by a cult.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, it all often feels pointless when you know the SC can just come along and negate any good thing the dems may accomplish.
Not quite...SCOTUS' check of the legislative branch to rule on the constitutionality of laws. A lot of their recent decisions and apparent power are because Congress has been gridlocked for so long a lot of progressive policies haven't actually been able to make it into law, meaning that SCOTUS has more leeway to simply say it should be left to the states because there's no federal law addressing it and all there is precedent. That isn't to say they can't strike down parts of laws (IIRC they did so for Obamacare's mandates), but their abilities are significantly reduced IMO

TLDR, when the SCOTUS rules that some policy should be left to states, that's a pretty good sign that there's nothing inherently unconstitutional about it that they can find to outright rule against it, and a good marker of what a federal law would be able to protect (obviously it's not always this simple, but in general) via the supremacy clause (that federal law supersedes state law, unless a power is explicitly granted to states in the Constitution)

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017

Wrong on several levels. It's because dems have NOT won everything that garbage bills pass. That's primarily on repubs being pieces of shit but at the end of the day Dem voters have to show the fuck up.

Apathy helps no one -- if (the Royal) you are having trouble parsing this or are upset emotionally leading to having a perspective like this, I suggest fixing the root cause rather than posting through it. You'll be better for it and so will the progressive cause which ultimately still has to win elections regularly to have an effect.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it is. Outside 2016, Trump's GOP has performed pretty poorly in every metric. But the party still is going all in on him again. Because he represented what the GOP voting base wants: fascism
Right, but that's different from your initial post implying that another Trump winning will "happen eventually", when a second loss this November would make doubling down on Trumpism guaranteed losses going forward. I mean I won't complain if they want to continue handing dems future elections, but I'd be shocked if the party of spineless backstabbers didn't also turn on their god king once they see he's past his expiration date.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Let's exclude LGBTQ+ people when the military is already barely meeting minimum recruiting requirements. Lol.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be so sure. He swats away everybody in that party on a national stage with ease, and there is no appetite for an imitator.
If he loses once more after 2020, played a major role in his party badly underperforming in the midterms, and then loses again to a President as unpopular as Biden then what is his path to victory in 2028? He isn't going to be up against an opponent this unpopular again. He'll be up against a young, charismatic person like Newsom or Whitmer.

What could the rest of the party point to as to why Trump is their best option in 2028 if he causes them to lose again?

My prediction is that if Biden wins this November we'll see a lot of "it was a massive mistake to nominate Trump again" statements from the likes of Mitch and Lindsey who were right there kissing his ass. They'll drop his ass like a stone and get behind someone they think can appeal to moderates (but who anyone paying attention knows is just as awful policy wise) like Haley.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Right, but that's different from your initial post implying that another Trump winning will "happen eventually", when a second loss this November would make doubling down on Trumpism guaranteed losses going forward. I mean I won't complain if they want to continue handing dems future elections, but I'd be shocked if the party of spineless backstabbers didn't also turn on their god king once they see he's past his expiration date.

No, I'm saying the same thing. They will continue this direction and eventually a GOP president will win. The margin of error they need to win is low

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah 2000 was a bad blow. Like legit crazy how different the last 20 years would have turned out if Gore had won (or at least won in the way that matters). Just knowing we'd never have invaded Iraq (and 9/11 may not have happened) on top of a having pro-environment president at a time when fighting Climate Change was still doable without significant sacrifice is...saddening.

I'll confess that as my first election I did vote for Nader/Green Party, though it was a calculated vote - I supported Gore but wanted a third party to cross that 5% threshold to get funding. I lived in Maryland which was a guaranteed Gore win so it was a safe bet. If there'd been any chance of a tighter race I would have gone for Gore.

Of course either the Greens have gone off the deep end or I just learned more about them since then (or I just realized in our system they had little purpose on a national level) and it's been straight blue every 2 years since then plus voting in every Primary I can to shift rep/senators leftward. Did succeed in that last part in my district! Ayanna Pressley primaried our previous rep and won, who was fairly progressive in his own right.
Don't feel too bad. The previous two elections had Perot who definitely made the idea of third party candidates seem viable. But after 2000 it was clear that was a fantasy.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017

Not to pick further on you but this congeals a feeling I've had that people don't realize how hard it is to beat authoritarianism once it enters the political blood stream.

It's really fucking hard. And it's not a one election thing. Like a fever, authoritarians need to be broken by voting and public pressure.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Yep, it all often feels pointless when you know the SC can just come along and negate any good thing the dems may accomplish.
A few of them don't have much time left. The next election is probably going to result in a few of the older members stepping down or expiring so a swing is possible or a lock to right wing for 30+ plus years depending on results.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
If he loses once more after 2020, played a major role in his party badly underperforming in the midterms, and then loses again to a President as unpopular as Biden then what is his path to victory in 2028? He isn't going to be up against an opponent this unpopular again. He'll be up against a young, charismatic person like Newsom or Whitmer.

What could the rest of the party point to as to why Trump is their best option in 2028 if he causes them to lose again?

My prediction is that if Biden wins this November we'll see a lot of "it was a massive mistake to nominate Trump again" statements from the likes of Mitch and Lindsey who were right there kissing his ass. They'll drop his ass like a stone and get behind someone they think can appeal to moderates (but who anyone paying attention knows is just as awful policy wise) like Haley.

There was nothing to point to after 2020 and several impeachments, and he easily defeated a very popular challenger in Desantis.

The party leadership has been actively against Trump since he became the polling favorite in 2016, and it truly does not matter. He destroys - not just beats, destroys - everybody they send up against him in the primaries.

Maybe this Marco Rubio VP talk is GOP latest attempt at trying to moderate the ticket and place a successor in position for 2028. They'll be hoping as much as anybody that Trump doesn't (or can't) run in the next cycle if he loses. But either way Trump has hijacked the party with his unique brand of populism, and Republicans are damned trying to get it back by force.

RedCrake

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, GA
Right on cue so the Republicans can campaign on the Democrats not supporting the military. The only thing more predictable than them pulling this shit is their base eating it up.