SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
This guy.

latest

The lead of Portrait of Ruin, son of John Morris, the protagonist of Bloodlines.

Jonathan isn't very popular. His game isn't very popular. It's not like people hate him (or PoR), but rather that other characters and games are seen to be superior. Jonathan isn't a Belmont, nor does he have any direct relationship to Dracula, nor does he really fit in with any series mythos outside of perhaps the most awkward canon game in the series, which is the one that tried to weave the Castlevania plotline together with Bram Stoker's Dracula. Jonathan is not only just a regular guy, he's a leftover of a haphazard shoe-in.

But he's got a lot going for him. More than others like him.

-He can use whips like the Belmonts, but can also switch up his arsenal like Alucard and Soma. This makes him feel like the best of both worlds.

latest

latest

latest

-His skills are all awesome, Street Fighter esque moves. The dude can do a Shoryuken.

-He comes with a partner, Charlotte, who has a completely different playstyle to the typical CV protagonist with her entirely magical arsenal. This would put him at the same level as Trevor, who has Sypha, another mage, as a partner... but Jonathan and Charlotte can team up to do some truly awesome stuff. This can range from traversal skills to summoning the souls of previous Belmonts to help them in battle.

tumblr_n956xfMlKX1sd4mmco1_500.gif

-Having to unlock the Vampire Killer as a final weapon is an awesome mechanic. He fights the soul of Richter Belmont, the last Belmont to wield the whip, and defeats him. This is pretty awesome from a story standpoint, and helps make the legendary weapon feel truly legendary through the game's RPG mechanics.

-He fills the gap between Richter and Julius, plot wise, explaining where the whip was during the Belmont's absence.

-The story in his game takes what was arguably the most awkward plot of any of the still-canon games and makes something out of it.

-He's just insanely fun to play as. His martial arts and proficiency with weapons, when combined with Charlotte's magic, make him feel like the culmination of all other protagonists up to that point. It's the closest we'll ever get to playing as Julius and his badass martial arts and Belmont attacks that we see him use in the Sorrow games.

This is just my personal opinion, but I really do think Jonathan is one of the more interesting characters from a story standpoint, and the most fun to play as from a gameplay standpoint.

If it were pure aesthetics or story reasons, I think I'd choose someone else. But for the whole package, I think my pick rests with Jonathan Morris.

Last edited:

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth that's Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
I could probably like him more if Konami had not decided to go with that crappy anime design.

SandMan1216

Oct 27, 2017
Mississippi
Weirdly enough, I only recently started re-playing Portrait of Ruin, and not only will I agree with OP's opinion of Jonathan, I'll go a step further and say that PoR is my favorite portable Castlevania. The game is a blast to play, and as mentioned at the top, Jonathan is just a really fun character to play as.

Plus, he has a hilarious taunt/dance he does which gets a chuckle out of me every time I initiate it (you hold up on the d-pad for a few seconds and BAM, Michael Jackson crotch-grab).

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Weirdly enough, I only recently started re-playing Portrait of Ruin, and not only will I agree with OP's opinion of Jonathan, I'll go a step further and say that PoR is my favorite portable Castlevania. The game is a blast to play, and as mentioned at the top, Jonathan is just a really fun character to play as.

Plus, he has a hilarious taunt/dance he does which gets a chuckle out of me every time I initiate it (you hold up on the d-pad for a few seconds and BAM, Michael Jackson crotch-grab).
I think I like the Sorrow games slightly better, but I do think PoR gets lampshaded too often. I rarely see it on the list of "Goodvanias" people like to put out, or at least not emphasized as one of the better entries, which I believe it is.

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Weirdly enough, I love Shanoa as a character, and her design, but I hate the glyph system, so she's one of my least favorites to actually play as. A shame.

I like it all, including the glyphs. Timespinner - a recent indie game - pretty much snatched the glyph system wholesale, and I loved it for that. It's probably my favorite Castlevania system when it comes to weapon selection. Shanoa just feels so *powerful* - while at the same time being the most difficult post-SOTNvania.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed my playthrough of Portrait of Ruin and in my opinion, the game definitely deserves more credit than it gets. I can absolutely see why this could be an all time favorite for some.

Great points about how fun it is to pull off all those moves and switch between characters OP. I would love a spiritual successor to PoR as much as any other possible return for the franchise.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You make some good points. I think he's great mechanically and narratively, but the aesthetics are pretty bad by Castlevania standards.
He got a revamp for Harmony of Despair, for what it's worth.

latest
This is a definite improvement.

I'd still have preferred something that made him look a bit more contemporary to the setting, but vampire hunters are weird I guess. Simon dressed like Conan the Barbarian in Renaissance Europe, so I guess that's just how the series rolls.

Might've just been cool to have more visual cues it's the 1940s. That time period's barely communicated through the game's art with a few exceptions.

I also really liked the game's alternate modes, level limiters, all that. That game was packed.

Last edited:

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Good to see someone is repping the other often shit on Castlevania from the GBA/DS Era. After Aria of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin is easily the best.
-Jonathan as you said is a great character to play with.
-Very cool and varied locations. Castle is a bit shite though, if they didn't clump tge last half together, try to recreate the 3D shape of Castlevania in 2D, and have such a small amount of caverns/basement levels, it would have been the goat. Its like half the size, but its still a massive game.
-Best soundtrack. Half remixes half new stuff.
- Wind sideqiests to bolster exploration and utilize the game mechanics to their fullest.
Wind being the Ghost of Eric Lecarde,who sealed himself in the castle because he wanted to help his compatriots son jn the off chance he has to kill Dracula.
-Gorgeous sprite work, and I love the 3D models for some of the enemies. I wish we had a castlevania that was fully 3D like that.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I like his design and gameplay but as a character and story I felt it was awkward and not necessarily in a good way.

I hated seeing him in HoDes because there were so many cheaters for stacked wrecking balls.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I don't really feel one way or another about Jonathan himself but Portrait of Ruin is a fantastic game that more people need to play. It might not be quite on the level of Symphony or Aria, but it's still a hell of a game.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I respect your choice for your reasons given, even if my favorite protagonists are Alucard, Richter, Julius, and Nate Graves.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's been a long time since I played portrait, but I remember thinking it was way better than word of mouth had led me to believe. Can't say I remember the character much though. I've been on a Castlevania kick ever since the smash reveals and season 2 of the show, so I might have to go back and replay it now, so thanks op

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's no Alucard but he's still cool, GBA have great castlevania games.

He always reminds me of Bart from Xenogears though

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Portrait of Ruin is my favourite DSvania by far. Dawn of Sorrow is solid but not as good as Aria (though Julius mode is quite fun), and I know Order of Ecclesia is considered to be super amazingly awesome, but personally I think it wasn't all that great for various reasons.

I think it's supposed to be an air guitar, but yeah. :P

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
This is a hot take alright

Portrait of Ruin is mediocre and so are the protagonists. Even if you want to use just sheer power as your measure Soma eats him for breakfast.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Jonathon Charlotte Jonathon Charlotte Jonathon Charlotte Jonathon Charlotte Jonathon Charlotte

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Actual top tier hot take Gabriel is the best a Belmont and Dracula looked. The Chad Dracula.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Actual top tier hot take Gabriel is the best a Belmont and Dracula looked. The Chad Dracula.
Nah man. That's a 3 way tie between Curse of Darkness, Circle of the Moon or Dracula X Chronicles. Runner up is Dracula's Weaith from HoD. If that was a full dracula design it would trump em all, even as a half body spirit he looks distinguished as fuck

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Nah man. That's a 3 way tie between Curse of Darkness, Circle of the Moon or Dracula X Chronicles. Runner up is Dracula's Weaith from HoD. If that was a full dracula design it would trump em all, even as a half body spirit he looks distinguished as fuck
The Chad Dracula implies being distinguished is not why I picked Gabe.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
He's also a blood relation to Quincy Morris who featured in Bram Stoker's Dracula. That bloodline has the closest connection with the book.

I think that gives the Morris line instant cred up there with the Belmonts.

brinstar

Oct 25, 2017
I'll go one step further and say PoR is the best Igavania and has the best final boss in the series

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017
I like it all, including the glyphs. Timespinner - a recent indie game - pretty much snatched the glyph system wholesale, and I loved it for that. It's probably my favorite Castlevania system when it comes to weapon selection. Shanoa just feels so *powerful* - while at the same time being the most difficult post-SOTNvania.

Same. She's the whole package, and it's a really great game too (OoE).

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
Playwise I didn't mind him, though I kept with the Nebula until unlocking the Vampire Killer. I'd generally use Charlotte instead where I could. But I didn't like him as a character. Kinda bratty and I would've rather had a generic silent/amnesia character than that.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
But... you can totally play as Julius in the games after you beat them, right?
You can, but the way he plays in the Sorrow games is more like a typical Belmont. When you fight against him he can use all the subweapons at once (as if they were skills), various item crashes, and has martial arts moves. Jonathan felt closer to Boss Julius than playable Julius to me.
Jonathan is fine and all, but how well can he turn into a bat and shoot fireballs?
Bats I'll hand to you, but fireballs? Pretty well. I'm looking for a gif of his uppercut move, but I can't find one, unfortunately. He does wreathe his hand in fire when he uses it.

Alucard's animal forms and Dracula spells did certainly make him stand out. I love how different protags have their own flavor to them in this series.

I think it's supposed to be an air guitar, but yeah. :P

tumblr_nkc8snM5211qd4q8ao1_500.gif

Also, here's a neat take on what he might have looked like during the Battle of 1999, from the Umbra of Sorrow fan project. You can see shades of Julius in him, implying young Julius might have taken inspiration from him for his own older look. Pretty cool.

v0tkDiG.png

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is quite a hot take.

(Here's mine. Soma is the best Castlevania protagonist.)

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
While I don't particular dislike Jonathan, I do have to say that it's a complete chore to level up his sub-weapons. I think he's a character who suffers a bit from the systems surrounding him. I do appreciate his versatility, though.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
I didn't care for the anime art of both Portrait of Ruin and its predecessor, Dawn of Sorrow. Kept me from appreciating the characters that appeared in either of them.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can, but the way he plays in the Sorrow games is more like a typical Belmont. When you fight against him he can use all the subweapons at once (as if they were skills), various item crashes, and has martial arts moves. Jonathan felt closer to Boss Julius than playable Julius to me.

Bats I'll hand to you, but fireballs? Pretty well. I'm looking for a gif of his uppercut move, but I can't find one, unfortunately. He does wreathe his hand in fire when he uses it.

Alucard's animal forms and Dracula spells did certainly make him stand out. I love how different protags have their own flavor to them in this series.

tumblr_nkc8snM5211qd4q8ao1_500.gif

Also, here's a neat take on what he might have looked like during the Battle of 1999, from the Umbra of Sorrow fan project. You can see shades of Julius in him, implying young Julius might have taken inspiration from him for his own older look. Pretty cool.

v0tkDiG.png

I think that Jonathan would have been dead by the time of the 1999 war.
Jonathan would have been over 70 years old by the time of 1999, and we know that utilizing the Vampire Killer's full strength shortens the lifespan of the Belmont off-shoot clans, which is why Jonathan's father John (the protagonist of Bloodlines) is dead at the start of the game, and left a fatherless Jonathan behind. We don't know exactly how old John was when he died, but the implication is that it was that using the Vampire Killer during the events of Bloodlines drained him.

I think that Charlotte however would be alive and acting during the events of the 1999 war - she was coined as the "ultimate weapon" against Dracula, after all.

While I don't particular dislike Jonathan, I do have to say that it's a complete chore to level up his sub-weapons. I think he's a character who suffers a bit from the systems surrounding him. I do appreciate his versatility, though.

IIRC you can level your subweapons by buying additional copies.