J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
At the final mission. I still have a lot of side quests and errands on the board, but going to save those to post game. Hit the Gemini mission and had to just keep going. Did get all the salvage missions done though.

Really my only complaint with the game is just map overload. Otherwise it's just fantastic stuff. One of my favorites for sure. I'm level 38 I think, right at 40 hours.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Man, took a break from Elden Ring (which I adore) to jump back into this last night, and had more of a blast than I expected to.

It's so easy to get caught up in "The Discourse" about open-world games and completely forget that there really is no one way to make a good video game. I feel as though the two games are both great at pushing their players forward in different ways: curiosity for ER and narrative for HFW.

I dunno. I probably shouldn't even bring up Elden Ring in this thread, but when I put this game down to jump into it, I was very scared I wouldn't want to come back; but I'm happy I did because it is kinda nice to play something that doesn't have me constantly on edge and has a compelling narrative for me to dig into. Excited to play through them both, probably interchangeably.

Yes, both games can be great in different ways!!
I finished Forbidden West 2 days ago.
Played the game for more than 120 hours.
It really is a absolutely special game for me.

Started Elden ring yesterday and am already with 10 hours.

After i finish Elden Ring, I will really like a specific topic about this 2 games talking about what one does better, the differences, preferences and etc…
The problem is that I don't know if a topic like this will end well here in Resetera but I would love to have a place to talk about this 2 games, without the more childish comments.
So many things to put in perspective about this 2 games.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
Forgot how amazing this game looks after I stopped playing 2 weeks ago. I can finally immerse myself into this

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Been looking everywhere since I started playing and put in 60+ hours, decided to just Google it and I'm sad the tearblaster is apparently not in the game. Used to love that thing in HZD 😔

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Cauldron Iota was pretty great. Got stuck at one spot with the climbing/jumping being janky, but pretty stunning otherwise and loved the end to it!

Tension Mask

Oct 28, 2017
one thing i don't think i've called out that i really like is that the "ruins" type puzzles you find around the world always take the puzzle one step further than i was expecting. there isn't a lot of "oh here's the obligatory auto-puzzle that you just solve by default". there's always a twist at the last second — that's my favourite type of video game puzzle by far.

Yes! I really liked these too

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Finished the game a little while ago on hard, then decided to drop to story to clear up the last few trophies. I feel like after the recent patch, it take Aloy forever to get off the ground and it became a real pain in the last few fights.

hearing its a doable platinum, and having finished the sotry and cleared a lot of the map and all quests except one camp, maybe I'll go for it.

Then I receive this.

A29-AB780-765-E-4794-ABFD-2-B222-A6-FE129.jpg

Maybe I won't..

There are only 59 trophies in the game.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
Audio bug I've encountered…

I'm firmly post-game working on upgrades and trophies, but every time I randomly pass over a specific spot on the map, Aloy comments on a development from the "In the Fog" side quest (which was quite touching, and I completed dozens of in-game hours ago).

Like the Firegleam markers, the game seems to struggle with flags for "you've done this."

texmechanica

Nov 19, 2018
Sunrises are breathtaking in this game. I climbed to the top of a mountain and just sat and watched the sun come up for a while

bruhaha

Jun 13, 2018
I really wish they'd put tools on a second weapon wheel instead of repeating the bad system from the first game. The number of times I called my mount when I intended to use a potion or vice versa is way too high. Having to scroll through during combat without time slowing down is terrible and unequipping items from the tools menu is bugged making crafting them a pain.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
On the Thornmarsh melee pit and the power rush challenge isn't working for me?

First the power attack knocks the enemy back so far that the half-moon circle follow up misses, so I have to get right up in their face before doing the power attack which is annoying.

But the issue I'm having is that after half-moon, you're supposed to do just a quick R1x3->R2 combo, but for whatever reason Alloy will only do R1x2 and then will sit and pause and change to a charge combo which fails the challenge on the 3rd slash following the charge. No matter how much I mash R1, I cannot get her to do 3 R1 slashes after that half-moon in this combo. What am I missing?
Ya its kind of tricky, I had the same problem with the guy getting knocked back too far, but if you hold R1 for a sec and release she usually closes in on the guy. I also struggled with that specific challenge for a little while too.
Been looking everywhere since I started playing and put in 60+ hours, decided to just Google it and I'm sad the tearblaster is apparently not in the game. Used to love that thing in HZD 😔
Omg yes, I've been looking for it and it's just not here lol. I loved how easy it was to blast components off the machines with that thing.

Oct 25, 2017
i don't really have a way of giving this complaint that doesn't make it sound silly, but i kind of hate the day/night cycle in this game? like, half the time everything just looks much worst aesthetically and everything is mildly harder to see.

i mean yes that's how night time works. but… well… i don't know. i guess i just don't see the point of the system beyond obligation at this point. (especially when no other systems really seem to change in response to it?)

bruhaha

Jun 13, 2018
i don't really have a way of giving this complaint that doesn't make it sound silly, but i kind of hate the day/night cycle in this game? like, half the time everything just looks much worst aesthetically and everything is mildly harder to see.

i mean yes that's how night time works. but… well… i don't know. i guess i just don't see the point of the system beyond obligation at this point. (especially when no other systems really seem to change in response to it?)

Apex versions of machines spawn more frequently at night. Useful to know if you need to farm for Apex hearts.

Also some towns/locations look great at night.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Feel I'm still fairly early in the game (just reached the point where I need to find the 3 subordinate functions and finally entered the 'West' proper, but so far really liking the facial animations in the game. A lot of the conversations with NPC's just feel very 'natural', if that's the right term for it. Think that's perhaps one of my favorite improvements from the original game so far.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017

Omg yes, I've been looking for it and it's just not here lol. I loved how easy it was to blast components off the machines with that thing.

I don't like that all arrows have a great tear stat and they are more effective to use. Although there are tear arrows that have say 10 damage and 300 tear, they have a really low carry count and don't make that satisfying "arrow go brrrrr" sound.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I don't like that all arrows have a great tear stat and they are more effective to use. Although there are tear arrows that have say 10 damage and 300 tear, they have a really low carry count and don't make that satisfying "arrow go brrrrr" sound.
Ya the low arrow counts can be annoying for me, cause not all of them are devastating enough to warrant a low count. The Spikethrower is easily my favorite weapon in the game, I just fuck shit up with some of the better options later in the game.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad some of the very rare weapons are pretty strong against late game enemies because damn the legendary stuff requires crazy stuff to upgrade so it's all level 1 still.

And the game constantly reminds me when I'm collecting good stuff from crates or machines but please shut up unless I've just picked up something that will *actually* let me upgrade something new thanks

You can create jobs for upgrades. That will notify you for upgrades

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Did the first Gauntlet Run race and definitely was a lot more fun than that I thought it would be. Certainly see the appeal of shooting arrows and hitting other opponents during the race to get ahead lol. I can also see it wearing out its welcome for me in the later (and presumably harder) stages if the opponent AI gets super aggressive. But so far, of all the 'side activities' I've run across in the the game so far, this is by far the one I've enjoyed the most.

Oct 27, 2017
I do like the amount of campfires everywhere. Means I can save regularly and generally at short notice, so it feels respectful of the fact that sometimes you just need to stop playing.

Currently bouncing around back up at the start of the map clearing some of the side quests. I'm level 32 and they're mostly around level 20 so pretty easy. I'm holding back on progressing the main story because I'm enjoying everything in the world so much, so I'm making it last ha ha.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
There is a tear blast arrow - I have one on one of my bows. Rarely use as it's expensive to craft (looks at 5000 wood and 1400 medicinal berries I never touch…)

Weapon wheel limitation puts me off changing so I never use slings, tripcasters, ropecasters, shredders. Just bows and one slot for a spear. The lack of good elemental arrow variation means you use too many slots assuming you want all elementals immediately available on the wheel. So only one alert for 'other' and I like the spear

Agree on items they are just broken. Time should slow when selecting or put eg items on the bottom and potions on the top, maybe cycle with a tap and long press to use? Don't know but I hate it currently. Almost never use potions or traps because of it

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I was so hyped to go to Thebes and see some fucked up shit but it ended up being a total letdown :/ anyway how close am I to the end?

Oct 27, 2017
Did the first Gauntlet Run race and definitely was a lot more fun than that I thought it would be. Certainly see the appeal of shooting arrows and hitting other opponents during the race to get ahead lol. I can also see it wearing out its welcome for me in the later (and presumably harder) stages if the opponent AI gets super aggressive. But so far, of all the 'side activities' I've run across in the the game so far, this is by far the one I've enjoyed the most.
good_luck_morgan_freeman.gif

In all my years of gaming there's only been a few times where i've gripped a controller hard enough to where i wanted to chuck it. The last gauntlet race was one of them.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think the 'Thirst for the Hunt' quest glitched out on me or something. They mention something about Ravager cannons lying around to deal with the Thunderjaw, but I scanned the environment and definitely didn't find any of those. Certainly would have made that fight a lot easier lol. Wound up dying a lot (thing kept charging at me and pulling off a 'one hit kill' which got a bit tedious) before I was able to just chip away enough at its weak spots to finally take it down. Not really sure what the NPC was doing either. He wasn't doing a great job at keeping aggro or doing any notable damage.
Felt good to finally defeat it, but a surprisingly hardcore side quest for 'just' level 17.

good_luck_morgan_freeman.gif

In all my years of gaming there's only been a few times where i've gripped a controller hard enough to where i wanted to chuck it. The last gauntlet race was one of them.

Heh that definitely doesn't surprise me. Not sure if I'll get that far with them, but will give them a shot for now.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The puzzles in this game could be so much more. They should integrate combat tools into the puzzles. You could do a lot of cool puzzles just by using the diferent ammo (ie: burn something, destroy something with acid, electrify a current). Intead they give you a tool that is only used in puzzle solving and it's not really that fun.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the sentiment about item management, it's pretty terrible and unintuitive. Feels like something they could improve using the touchpad (which I think only makes the UI appear right now?)

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I was lucky but i have completed all gauntlet races on the first try and with a huge gap between the 2nd place.

Nov 19, 2017
The Gauntlet races are by far the worst part of this game, not gonna lie, I only did what was necessary for the trophy but christ it feels terrible. I can only hope I was missing something important because it was that bad.

AIP

Oct 29, 2017
So I'm at the quest Cradle of Echoes but I can't find Varl at the spot he's supposed to be... I'm assuming it's a bug, and I'm wondering if anyone else has ran into the same thing?

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
So I'm at the quest Cradle of Echoes but I can't find Varl at the spot he's supposed to be... I'm assuming it's a bug, and I'm wondering if anyone else has ran into the same thing?

Read a similar complaint on FB, seems it's a bug. Something similar happened to me in Ted Faro's tomb, Ceo was missing and I could not progress. Try reloading an older save and make sure Varl is with you, don't rush.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017

Agreed. For me there honestly is only a few time and weather scenarios where I feel the game lives up to the marketing material graphics wise, the rest of the time it very much looks like Horizon Zero Dawn 1.5.

Makes me really hope a Horizon 3 or PS5 pro version with added ray tracing bells and whistles gets released. Since I think that would solve a lot of the problems while also making the game look even better during its peak lighting conditions….that and the marketing material very much gave a false sense of what the scope of the open world was gonna be this time.

LDNStateOfMind

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The Gauntlet races are by far the worst part of this game, not gonna lie, I only did what was necessary for the trophy but christ it feels terrible. I can only hope I was missing something important because it was that bad.
100% plus they seem to go on for ages!

Melee...lock on and block would make the combat a lot better. Odd that enemies can block but you can't.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017

He might've gotten stuck in the geometry. I had a similar issue on a different quest, but a save, exit, load game fixed it.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I played the resolution mode on PS5, and this is unequivocally the best looking game I've ever played.
I'm glad you think so, at times, it is, or comes close(I'd put several PC games that have ray tracing at or above Horizon's best, and actually think Ratchet, and at times Mile Morales have better graphics than peak Horizon, but it's by no means "ugly"), other times, the game's lack of things like ray tracing and such don't save it from looking, like I said, sort of just Horizon 1.5.

But for me lighting is incredibly important, especially post experiencing good ray tracing, so the parts of Horizon where the baked lighting isn't at elite levels(basically any time of day not clear skies and a few weather patterns), the awe wears off for me pretty quickly. Again, still a great looking game on whole, and at times amongst the best, just would love to see what they can do as a next gen exclusive or with a PS5 Pro like upgrade.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I'm glad you think so, at times, it is, or comes close(I'd put several PC games that have ray tracing at or above Horizon's best, and actually think Ratchet, and at times Mile Morales have better graphics than peak Horizon, but it's by no means "ugly"), other times, the game's lack of things like ray tracing and such don't save it from looking, like I said, sort of just Horizon 1.5.

But for me lighting is incredibly important, especially post experiencing good ray tracing, so the parts of Horizon where the baked lighting isn't at elite levels(basically any time of day not clear skies and a few weather patterns), the awe wears off for me pretty quickly. Again, still a great looking game on whole, and at times amongst the best, just would love to see what they can do as a next gen exclusive or with a PS5 Pro like upgrade.
I haven't played Ratchet so can't comment on that, but Miles Morales doesn't even come close to Horizon FW IMHO. I'm surprised you'd bring it up if lighting is incredibly important to you, because I found the lighting in that game to be very unimpressive by comparison.

May 31, 2021

I've only done like 3 races so far but I thought they were pretty fun too.

AIP

Oct 29, 2017
Read a similar complaint on FB, seems it's a bug. Something similar happened to me in Ted Faro's tomb, Ceo was missing and I could not progress. Try reloading an older save and make sure Varl is with you, don't rush.

He might've gotten stuck in the geometry. I had a similar issue on a different quest, but a save, exit, load game fixed it.

Thanks a lot for the replies. I didn't think of reloading an earlier save which solved the issue. Thanks again.

Oct 27, 2017
I think i figured out the thing that bothers me so much about this game that i couldn't fully articulate previously.

Like most people, i don't think the in game economy and resource management feel very rewarding nor does it respect the players time; there's an abundance of weapons and outfits all of which feel unimpressive due to the sheer number that's available not to mention they all have unique upgrade trees that require an abundance of resources. As annoying as it is, it's still sort of fine once you manage to finally nail down your playstyle and lean into it. Although for me personally that took 41 hours. And all this is to say nothing of the fact that you now have to use machine parts to unlock some machine overrides after completing cauldrons. Like, why?

But the thing that really sets me off and crystallizes my point above is that the game doesn't adequately reward you for exploring early. Completely ignoring that at a point the game will literally present you with invisible walls to stop you progressing further, after nearly 50 hours and being max level, i have at least 4 or 5 pieces of legendary gear that i can't even begin upgrading to the first level because they require high value machine parts that in a lot instances i haven't even been exposed to.

It's like i busted my underleveled ass traversing this world and dealing with this soft level caps in order to complete these questlines and get the highest tier gear and, while they're really good in their base form, it's frustrating to feel like i essentially have even more homework to do if i want to enjoy to it's fullest extent. And that's before you consider that, unsurprisingly, different gear uses the same machine parts so you inevitable run into a situation where upgrading one thing will further delay you from upgrading something else.

I applaud the madmen and women who look to get the most out of this game without having easy loot turned on.

I'm not saying this needs to be some massive indict against the game where everyone should go review bomb it but there's an absolutely insane level of grind here that i don't see many people take umbrage with or even mention at all when other games with this level of grind would be slammed to high heaven.

You get some backstory type stuff once you complete them all that relates to the original game and you get a legendary weapon.

The weapon doesn't even fit into my playstyle so i don't even bother with it.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
It would be cool if GG can speed up Aloy's animations by 10-15%

Getting stun locked because Aloy takes a minute to stand back up is driving me nuts