MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
5 years ago (!) horizon came out, followed one week later by Zelda. This month horizon forbidden west releases, followed a week later by Elden ring.

How did you approach playing them back in 2017, and will that change this time?

In 2017 I played horizon to completion before starting Zelda - on the basis that Zelda May take more of my time, and horizon seemed more story focused so may work well if I binge it. Worked well for me and I think I started Zelda a few days after launch. Planning to do the same with Elden ring.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Horizon before Elden Ring for sure. There's a lot to play before Elden Ring, just a bad window for that for me.

Looking at the release schedule, Horizon will probably take me to Triangle Strategy which will take me to Stranger in Paradise, so April for Elden Ring I'm guessing?

OP
OP
MrKlaw

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware for the sake of the thread title you may not agree with the pigeonholing but let's just take it as 'big long game after big game'

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Finished horizon that week and then played Zelda

I won't start ER without finishing the game but I don't think it will be a problem if it's not 35+ hours or something

I also have more interest in Horizon if I'm being totally honest about it, I even considered dropping Elden ring and enjoying it for that extra time and going into GT7 multiple times, but landed on just going for ER after Horizon

Steam Deck helped with the decision to get ER right after

Eldon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm aware for the sake of the thread title you may not agree with the pigeonholing but let's just take it as 'big long game after big game'
I completely agree with you op, time has passed since 2017 and there are many more responsibilities in my life. I really want to play Horizon (I have it already preordered on Amazon) before Elden Ring, but I will probably only boot it up to check the performance, Elden Ring has my full interest.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I haven't played the first Horizon yet. Goddamn backlogs. Hoping to get to it in the next couple weeks and play it straight into the sequel if I don't get burnt out

Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing neither until I've got through some of the backlog, I can wait.

The second half of 2022 is where it will all kick off for me.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
From Software games come before any other game for me.

I'm not even gonna look at Horizon 2 or anything else until I'm done and dusted with Elden Ring

Jan 11, 2018
Zelda was first, I didn't play Horizon till maybe a year after release.

This time around I'll play whichever one the local library gets first.

limone

Feb 4, 2022
Italy
Wait for Elden Ring > Play Elden Ring until burnout > emerge from the cave, see what year it is and get back to the backlog, including Horizon

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon seems to always launch with poor timing for me personally. From Software Souls games and Zelda are two of my favorite series, so I'm always going to drop everything else to play them when they come out.

I dropped Horizon hard when BotW came out. I ended up never getting around to finishing it as BotW blew me away so bad Horizon's approach to an open world RPG felt very lacklustre at the time. It's a great game with good combat, but BotW just hit different for me.

I'm finishing up Horizon Zero Dawn now ahead of Forbidden West's launch, but knowing me I'll probably end up doing the same thing again with Forbidden West and Elden Ring as well unless I no-life Horizon next week.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Bought both, I have to finish Horizon before starting Elden Ring since I don't want to see story spoilers, so might not play ER at launch depending on how big HFW is.

Thankfully the games will feel like a completely different experience despite both being open-world so playing one right after the other won't really bother me.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
I picked up Horizon day 1, played a few hours but ultimately put it down when BOTW dropped and to this day I've never felt the drive to go back. Not entirely sure why. That's not to say BOTW took the wind out of its sails or anything because while I dropped a few more hours into BOTW, I still found it a bore and bounced off it hard and I've never wanted to go back since.

So I have little to no interest in Horizon 2 and more than happy to wait for Elden Ring to drop in 2 weeks.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
I will play Horizon until Elden Ring comes out, then focus on Elden Ring. There is just no way I can NOT play Elden Ring as soon as it is available.

saforia

Apr 19, 2019
UK
I wanna complete horizon's main story at least before starting elden ring. I'll go back and 100% it later on in the year if I have to.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
Play Horizon ZD in 2017, didn't bother with BOTW till earlier this year. Gonna play HFW and Witch Queen this time around. Maybe get to Elden Ring sometime later.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably play Horizon if the reviews are good and play Elden Ring in a few years when i have gone through Dark Souls 1-3.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
Gonna finish Horizon before I dive into Elden Ring. I don't mind waiting a couple of days for that one, there's not really any story stuff to spoil with From Software games.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I don't buy every game when it comes out lol

I bought Horizon when it was on sale on Steam like a year or so ago. And I just bought BOTW this past Black Friday.

I will likely buy Elden Ring on release, but I'll wait for the PC port of Horizon 2. (I haven't even finished Horizon 1 yet lol)

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Clearly Elden Ring for me. Will hold on Horizon til theres an expansion out, which I very much assume will happen.

I completly lacked any will to play Horzion or GoT Expansion because I already finished the games so not doing that again. Never had that issue with Souls games so priority is clear for me. I also dont have a PS5 and refuse to play Horizon on PS4 so thats another point towards ER.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
In 2017 I played Horizon then Botw like a year later. This time it"ll just be Horizon, no interest in ER.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
We'll I've already bought Elden Ring and can / will only play HZD2 on PC.

So my life appears to be easier than yours, OP.

Ganepark32

Nov 21, 2021
Didn't have a Switch at launch so I played H:ZD first and then played BotW later in the year when I managed to get hold of a Switch. Glad I did as I imagine I'd be like most and would have felt disappointed with Horizon's open world if I'd played BotW first.

And it'll be Forbidden West first this time round. I'm still on the fence with Elden Ring. I'm not particularly great with FromSofts games, I tend to struggle a bit and drop them but the pull with Elden Ring is strong partly because of the more open design (and it seems like it may be a bit more manageable for more people going from what the devs have said). I'll probably still grab Elden Ring at launch but Forbidden West will get most of my play time till its cleared.

chanceboudreaux

alt account
Banned
May 10, 2021
Will play Horizon first, and I'll take my time.

It's a bit unfortunate, because the immediate launch of a From game is awesome, what with everyone just exchanging information.

However, I think that starting two weeks later will still be alright.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Playing Horizon the week leading up to Elden Ring launch. Maybe I'll have time to finish it otherwise I'll shelf it or play in "tandem" with ER.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I will get through Horizon first, then once I'm done or the raytracing patch is released on PS5, I will get to Elden Ring, and then back to Horizon if I've not finished it by then.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I only finally finished Zero Dawn late last year (I didn't like the combat so I kept bouncing off). I'll get Elden Ring first then GT7 will be out by the time I'm done so I'll just pick up Horizon on sale at some point.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I expect Horizon to launch in a way more stable/polished state. I'm gonna jump into that first, do all the quests, then do Elden Ring.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I don't want to shit on Horizon too much but BotW and Elden Ring are/will be so much better that I'm not risking burning out on open world games for them. I'll be playing Forbidden West long after I'm done with Elden Ring.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am more excited for Horizon, and am currently replaying the first game. Ironically because I am more excited for it, and while I will get it day 1, I am going to start Elden Ring first and dive into Horizon around my birthday mid year.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Something about Elden Ring keeps rubbing me the wrong way everytime I see the open fields. It's something so subtle I have hard time to quickly come up with the words to describe what I mean. Just something in it that keeps sending vague red flags to me. Not about the quality of the game itself so much as "personally you might not enjoy this one as much" signals.

So yeah it's gonna be Horizon. I'm of course very interested in Elden Ring but this one I just might have to wait and see a bit first. Helps that there is some meat on the table and then some as it is.

Oct 28, 2017
Elden Ring will much better than HZD2 in terms of exploration and combat gameplay, while HZD2 is mostly a tech showcase for visuals.

Elden Ring all the way!

Joker Code

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
I played both last time as they came out. I'm doing the same this time and I'm also adding a destiny dlc to the mix. Good times!

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Never cared for From games and never will. Horizon is up my jam and i can't really wait to play it.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Looking forward to Horizon more so will play that 'til I'm bored and then pick up Elden Ring. Having two big games on the go at once just doesn't work out for me.

finally

Jul 22, 2019
Fomo into elden ring to have fun with invasion and online and early frustration.. Horizon on sale later

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'll play Horizon first since I will probably take months making any real progress in Elden Ring before I'll eventually drop it