Nananananananana BAT GAMES!

• Batman (Sunsoft, NES)

Votes: 68 45.3%
  • Return of the Joker (Sunsoft, NES)

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Adventures of Batman and Robin (Konami, SNES)

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • Adventures of Batman and Robin (Genesis)

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • Batman Returns (NES, Konami)

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 27 18.0%

• Total voters

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For whatever reason, people just can't get enough of the Caped Crusader. He's probably gotten the better half of DC-based games compared to Supes (even without counting 64) and the rest of the JL. It's also safe to say that the Arkham series and LEGO Batman changed the possibilities of what a Batman game could be. But I want to do sometging a little bit different...

I want to know what is the best pre Arkham/LEGO Batman game. Could it be Sunsoft's NES classic? The well-regarded Konami developed titles? The Genesis game based off of Bruce Timm's first show? Maybe even Sin Tzu?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Batman NES is a lot of fun, and has a top 5 all-timer OST. Very little about the actual game relates to Batman, but whatever lol

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
Shinobi III

batman.jpg

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Sega CD beat'em'up

No i did not stutter

The open-worldish PS1 game is interesting too but i just saw videos of it, never played

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Batman on the Amiga is my favourite, along with Batman the Caped Crusader for the Amiga, although that one was more a thing of thinking the concept was cool more so than the execution lol.

LohanKain

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
My favorite is Batman Returns for Master System, music from Yuzo Koshiro and a great gameplay, it's from a japanese developer Aspect.

31-Batman-Returns-Master-System-capa-1.jpg
31-Batman-Returns-Master-System-capa-2.jpg

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man. What a great lineup of games. I gotta go with the nes Batman and Return of the Joker. Great super hard platforming, killer soundtracks. Still replay those from time to time.

Bunkem

Prophet of Truth
Aug 25, 2021
Batman: The Movie on Amiga is probably my favourite, loved the driving levels in particular, bataranging streetlights!

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
The Batman Begins tie-in game. It's basically a proto- Arkham game and the batmobile levels were sick.

Bale also provides the voice work, and his Batman voice for the game is arguably better than one he uses in the films (SWEAR TO ME!!!).

Last edited:

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I played Adventures of Batman & Robin on Genesis so much even though it was too hard and just straight up really bad sometimes (the shmup level just KEEPS ON GOING). But Jesus it LOOKS amazing.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I'm convinced the first level of Adv. of Batman and Robin on Genesis is impossible to beat. Enemies are relentless in their infinite spawns and take way too much damage. Your mobility cannot compete easily. It's such a cool game ruined by shit balancing!

The SNES animated Adv. game was pretty cool though, easily able to complete(with practice) and is pretty faithful to the show. Lots of variety in the levels(episodes).

Sunsoft NES was a classic and my pick. Also hard but has incredible music and visuals. Gadget and mobility was awesome and with patience can be toppled, but it is a challenge. Hard not to pick it even if I have a soft spot for the SNES game.

Sega CD/Genesis Returns game was meh. Sega CD car segments were technically awesome but not well designed and poorly balanced. The clown truck in the first stage alone will cause most to give up like the Genesis Batman and Robin game. It's stupidly balanced.

Batman Returns SNES is a pretty solid beat-em-up. Looks astounding for its time and captured the tone and feel of the film well. It's a simplistic game but one of the more solid licensed games.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
I have a soft spot for Batman Returns on Mega Drive... so that's my vote goddamnit.

Oct 27, 2017
I vote for The Adventures of Batman and Robin on the SNES specifically. Every stage has you choose your "load out" of gadgets to bring along, and levels have some fun variety; some feature platforming, one is a straight up Metroidvania, one is a top down shooter-esque stage that has you driving the Batmobile, one is a 3D maze, etc.

The graphics are fantastic for the hardware and the OST does very well in adapting many of Shirley Walker's sublime character themes from the TV show. It also features neat little bits of detail, like how you can legit batarang weapons from the hands of foes wielding guns.

It's very well done and to this day remains one of my favorite Batman games.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Why Batman Returns nes and not snes? The nes one is shitty.

This. Batman Returns on SNES is a great side-scroller. It was really satisfying throwing guys against a wall.

images

Batman Return of the Joker for GAMEBOY. I don't know how many hours I threw at this game back when.

Has a banging soundtrack, too (Stage 3 - The Train is amazing). Composer was Manami Matsumae, who composed the original Mega Man.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEWz5_dDWUQ

Holy hell at this soundtrack! That is top-tier stuff.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Batman Rise of Sin Tzu was good coop fun. The villain being a yellowface Fu Manchu type character is pretty wild though.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
For me it's Batman Begins.
I think people would be surprised how much of a prototype of the Arkham games it is, especially regarding stealth.

GardenPepper

Oct 28, 2017
I love the NES game but the SNES game is an underrated gem that not enough people got to play. It's brilliant.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
Batman Vengeance (had it on ps2, got it on pc sometime later).

Batman: the caped crusader

Batman: The Movie (had the c64 version, but the Amiga version ruled)

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
Adventures of Batman and Robin on the genesis isn't just my favorite pre arkham batman its my favorite Batman game period. The music alone puts it in a tier above everything else which is wild to say considering how good the nes batman music is as well.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I personally really enjoyed Batman Begins on PS2. I haven't played it since it was new so I imagine it's mostly nostalgia, but I remember having a good time with it and being pleasantly surprised. (As movie tie-ins were mostly crap at the time.)

plagiarize

Khive rise up
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Batman: The Movie on Amiga. Although I never knew what the heck I was doing with the batcave lab stuff. Driving the batmobile was awesome and made beating that first stage so worth it.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Batman on the Amiga is my favourite, along with Batman the Caped Crusader for the Amiga, although that one was more a thing of thinking the concept was cool more so than the execution lol.

That was actually going to be my nomination (although the Spectrum version from my perspective); more of "Batman as World's Greatest Detective" vibes that are often omitted from a lot of Batman-centric media (and something Arkham did great to bring back into the limelight), and I really loved the 'comic book panel' aesthetic.

COXgtY3.png

However, I do think that "A Bird In The Hand" was better of the two stories, it flowed more competently; I always had a nagging suspicion that "A Fete Worse Than Death" was rushed out, since the path to completion always felt a bit abstract.

I do also have to nominate Batman on the ZX Spectrum - by all reasonable arguments a terrible *Batman* game, it's very much "Batman has been grafted onto this game" - but it's an *excellent* game, better than many Batman games that were better representations of the character, not least because it's an early implementation of the Jon Ritman / Bernie Drummond isometric platformer formula, later perfected with Head Over Heels (to this day one of my favourite games) and later Monster Max on the Gameboy.

uzzPfsH.png

Last edited:

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
ff0c9a33-ce4a-47e6-a57a-95c2c3aa3fe1.jpg

Splinter Cell lite with an art direction and tone lifted straight from the film. Also has most of the actors from the movie reprising their roles; Michael Caine did a really nice job voicing Alfred as Bruce's Lambert during the missions. The stealth and AI weren't as refined as SC, and it does force a few too many combat encounters, but that's to be expected since it is a Batman game. It had several neat concepts that even the Arkham series would later utilize such as the fear mechanic, causing havoc in the environment, and interrogating criminals.

32615cc26066f5d5-600x338.png

CDN media

batman-begins-screenshots-10.jpg

Prior to Arkham Knight, I'd say it also had the best Batmobile gameplay since it was very reminiscent of Burnout. It wouldn't surprise me if Rocksteady was influenced by those missions when designing the Batmobile for Arkham Knight. I actually wish there were a couple of more levels where we got to drive the Tumbler around in Batman Begins because it was very fun to control.

View: https://youtu.be/NrigL5FoMr4?si=hEp62I3VKLJd7UGX

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
I'm just gonna add on to the Batman Begins love. 'Proto-Arkham' is a wonderful way of describing the game, and there's some gadgets and stealth mechanics it used that I wish more Batman games would have borrowed.

Kurtly64

Dec 11, 2017
Man, I have some distant memories of playing that beat'em up SNES Batman. Why the hell haven't we got a retro collection of all these older Batman games again?! TMNT got the treatment, so can Batman! Surely WB has the rights to them all.

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
Played a lot of Batman and Robin on PSONE growing up, but I don't remember it it was any good, of the ones that I played the best one was Batman Begins.