chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
www.hivesocial.app

Hive Social

A new social platform focusing on the simplicity of social media. Express yourself without the pressure of traditional social media apps. Join Hive 💛 🐝

This app has been around for two or so years but is blowing up with a ton of major gaming/celeb/content creators soooooo join today!

Is it an app?
There is no web interface, it is strictly an app, on iOS/Android. They are working on a web interface I believe.

I can't progress through the password field when I sign up!
You need a special character in your password (the app doesn't tell you this)

No one can find me via search!
This is another bug where, if you have capital letters in your @ handle, you won't appear in search, so be sure to make them all lower case.

Last edited:

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
After looking at all the Twitter shenanigans i'd rather try my luck with decentralized, open source stuff like Mastodon at first.

But good to know some alternatives.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
I don't think I would've joined as quickly if it weren't for the fact that it's taking off so quickly right now.

But I'd really like a web version of it.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
It's decent to use. Feels like for me there is some issues with loading times (trying to look up an account sometimes takes a few tries)

But the account creation and a decent number of people I follow actually have accounts there makes it an app I could switch from Twitter

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I said this in the main Musk/Twitter thread, but this really feels like the closest thing to a mainstream-friendly replacement for Twitter. It is more of a mix of Twitter and IG as far as discovery, but this is much closer to what I think people will be open to joining over Mastodon or Cohost, and Post.News (or whatever it's name is) seems like it's going to be a lot more curated since there is a huge waiting list. But the team behind it is super small, and for it to be a viable replacement, it's going to have to grow real quick. I'm not sure if it's going to be able to be a viable alternative, and my guess is that if it does get some momentum, they'll probably get bought out by one of the big corps, and who knows what'll happen at that point.

Marus

Alt account
Banned
Aug 6, 2022
and to keep things in context. Hive is currently the number 2 worldwide trend on twitter.

It's getting a lot of attention which means their infrastructure is going to be stressed.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I think the app is pretty good - certainly impressive from a two person team. It'll be interesting to see how they manage scaling up on the next couple days/weeks if it gains more traction.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely feels like it has potential. It feels and acts like Twitter, and the app is clean and usable. The influx of users is making it super slow right now though, and I'm not confident they'll have the infrastructure to support the massive growth.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Signed up, not like anyone cares to take my name. But yeah, it'll be interesting how it shakes out

Some Trending Gamers to Add

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
To follow some gaming people

Greg Miller: gameovergreggy
Tamoor Hussain: tamoorh
James Willems: jameswillems
Elyse Willems: elysewillems
Alanah Pearce: charalanahzard
Rahul Kohli: rahulkohli13
Larry Hryb: majornelson
Aaron Greenberg: aarongreenberg
Jeff Gerstmann: jeffgerstmann
Austin Walker: austinwalker
Kelsey Lewin: kelslewin
Rami Ismail: ramiismail
Dan Rykert: danrykert
Kyle Hilliard: kylehilliard
Sarahpodz (Minnmax): podz
Alex Navarro: alexnavarro
Jeff Grubb: grubb
Jess Giant Bomb: voidburger
Troy Baker: troybaker

Thanks CallMeShaft for some of these

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It definitely feels like it has potential. It feels and acts like Twitter, and the app is clean and usable. The influx of users is making it super slow right now though, and I'm not confident they'll have the infrastructure to support the massive growth.
Funny there just happens to be thousands of laid off social media people looking for work

If they were somehow able to secure funding, they could really take off.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Trying to signup now - won't let me signup with email/password...is everyone using their phone numbers?

Android app.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020

Larry Hryb: maornelson

Imran Khan is also there, but he couldn't get his name. It's imranzomg, same as his Twitter handle

Stencil

Mailing Out Their Business
Oct 30, 2017
USA

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Signed up today (same username as here).

Lacking in a lot of areas, but so is any site right now offering anything close to what Twitter offers (outside of Twitter itself, which is being decimated by a edge-lord billionaire).

Still prefer it over Mastodon. At least so far.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Larry Hryb: maornelson

Certainly welcome, will follow some of the users here I didn't already have followed.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
This already feels like it has more traction than Mastodon, at least with people I follow. And thank god, because whatever Mastodon is, it's a big fucking pain in the ass. I don't want to have to google instructions for how to sign up for a website

Marus

Alt account
Banned
Aug 6, 2022
This already feels like it has more traction than Mastodon, at least with people I follow. And thank god, because whatever Mastodon is, it's a big fucking pain in the ass. I don't want to have to good instructions for how to sign up for a website

Mastodon was never going to work

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
No web version is an instant deal breaker for me.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I immediately made an account when I looked it up and saw why it was picking up traction, their guidelines and zero tolerance stance on hate are incredibly inclusive and it's got most of twitter's features, and a couple extra ones that twitter will never do (pronouns, for one). Many of my mutuals and following list are making accounts there because it looks the most promising as an almost proper twitter clone that isn't gonna endorse killing minorities.

Like I'd legit pay an optional subscription service once they got everything up to standard if it means they'll be funded enough to keep their values without having to sell out to a big company that'll immediately delete their inclusive policies and guidelines. Now that's an $8 I'll spend.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
you need to add a special character to the password

i originally didn't have a special character and it was just greyed out for me
Thanks! I tried a few special characters prior, but I guess they're selective about special characters.. - and + weren't special enough, but @ was.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
has hive announced a verification system yet?

Thanks! I tried a few special characters prior, but I guess they're selective about special characters.. - and + weren't special enough, but @ was.

I always look at / - + * and <>/() as forbidden because they are math equation related

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
This already feels like it has more traction than Mastodon, at least with people I follow. And thank god, because whatever Mastodon is, it's a big fucking pain in the ass. I don't want to have to google instructions for how to sign up for a website

Yeah, Mastodon was made for communities.

I feel sorry for the servers that got slammed.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Haha I added most of the people on that gaming industry list, even if most of the accounts are slow or haven't been used yet. I go check twitter, and they've all been tweeting recently. The new social platform only works if people actually use it instead of the one we want to stop using lol

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
You know what, I have a feeling if any of the alternatives stick it's going to be this one.

It seems like the closest to Twitter and the easiest to use.