Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1733008758484472067

My documentary film "HIDEO KOJIMA: CONNECTING WORLDS" which had its world premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York in June, will be distributed worldwide in the spring of 2024.

The film will be distributed exclusively on Disney+. Directed and photographed by Glen Milner. The cast includes George Miller, Guillermo del Toro, Norman Reedus, Nicolas Winding Refn, Grimes, Woodkid, Churches, Mamoru Oshii, Shinji Mikami, and Shinya Tsukamoto.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfjElfbj_mo

In addition, Kojima announced that his documentary film "Hideo Kojima: Connecting Worlds" — which follows his journey to form an independent games studio and his creative process behind "Death Stranding" — will be distributed worldwide in the spring of 2024 exclusively on Disney+.

"Embark on a compelling behind-the-scenes odyssey as 'Hideo Kojima: Connecting Worlds' unveils the visionary mind of Hideo Kojima, weaving the intricate creative threads that birthed a groundbreaking game and reshaped the landscape of interactive storytelling," the announcement from Kojima Productions said.

variety.com

Hideo Kojima Teams With Jordan Peele for Upcoming Horror Game ‘OD,’ Announces His ‘Death Stranding’ Docu Will Stream on Disney+

Hideo Kojima is working with Jordan Peele on 'immersive' game OD, and his documentary 'Connecting Worlds' will stream on Disney+ in 2024.

Last edited:

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
*scratches head*

This is not the same one as the trailer Kojipro released a while back about the 'auter Kojima' is it?

penguinecon

alt account
Banned
Nov 12, 2023
Will it mention all the people who worked under him to make these classics he takes all the credit for?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
barely anyone mentions this stuff so I'd never expect a puff piece documentary like this to even come close
People call his shit out all the time, especially on Era. As they should.

Will it mention all the people who worked under him to make these classics he takes all the credit for?
Immediately noticed that, wish it had been "Kojima Productions: Connecting Worlds" at least. Still got his name in the title, but it's the company not the man.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This documentary might be about himself but it's still funny that he phrased it as being his when it's technically directed by someone else, although it probably doesn't matter lol, I'm sure Kojimmer was calling all the shots.

Based from what I remember about the trailer it seemed entirely self-fellating and doesn't seem to cover anything before Death Stranding.

www.escapistmagazine.com

Hideo Kojima: Connecting Worlds Is Just an Ad for Death Stranding

Hideo Kojima: Connecting Worlds review: This documentary lacks nuance of any sort and is just an advertisement for Death Stranding.

www.vulture.com

Hideo Kojima Is a Genius. What Else Is New?

A new documentary about the acclaimed video-game auteur reveals very little.

kotaku.com

The Hideo Kojima Documentary Is The Worst Kind Of Fan Service

Hideo Kojima: Connecting Worlds is vacant aside from some nice shots of Death Stranding

www.inverse.com

'Hideo Kojima: Connecting Worlds' Focuses on the Myth Rather Than the Man

The new documentary about 'Metal Gear Solid' and 'Death Stranding' creator Hideo Kojima is too shallow to attract diehard fans or curious newcomers.

Bizkit Krueger

Powered by Friendship™
Sep 8, 2022
People call his shit out all the time, especially on Era. As they should.

Immediately noticed that, wish it had been "Kojima Productions: Connecting Worlds" at least. Still got his name in the title, but it's the company not the man.

all the time is a giant stretch

drop in the bucket when that stuff hasn't been reckoned with in any meaningful way overall and typically gets handwaved as one of his wacky idiosyncrasies

astro

Oct 25, 2017
all the time is a giant stretch

drop in the bucket when that stuff hasn't been reckoned with in any meaningful way overall and almost always gets handwaved as one of his wacky idiosyncrasies
It comes up in every thread about him on here, which is a good thing. Of course the audience at large doesn't, they don't care about this stuff as much as they should.

Oct 27, 2017
I love how Kojima lives in people's heads rent free...

Nevermind the fact he was one of the first devs to have game credits front and center, not just at the end, and that he garnered enough respect for a bunch of devs to join him when he left Konami, apparently he's a narcissist who doesn't credit anyone else on the dev team 🙄

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Nevermind the fact he was one of the first devs to have game credits front and center, not just at the end, and that he garnered enough respect for a bunch of devs to join him when he left Konami, apparently he's a narcissist who doesn't credit anyone else on the dev team 🙄
The critique is fair and calling it "living in people's heads" is a bizzare defense.

penguinecon

alt account
Banned
Nov 12, 2023

My problem is not with Kojima actually but how the industry frames auteurs. I guess I shouldn't have wrote "he takes all the credit for" because it's more like everyone credits him for everything.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
My problem is not with Kojima actually but how the industry frames auteurs. I guess I shouldn't have "he takes all the credit for" because it's more like everyone credits him for everything.
This is a problem with how auteurs are framed, but it's not like Kojima doesn't play into this stuff and a mild critique toward that doesn't need a defense. Your comment was fine.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017

I love how Kojima fanboys constantly excuse his sexism and misogyny and just focus on whatever self-absorbed "auteur" project he's working on next. 🙄

Blunt

Oct 26, 2017
The critique is fair and calling it "living in people's heads" is a bizzare defense.

No, it's always been a bullshit claim because if there is one creator that makes sure the name of his collaborators are known and put front and center in the credits at the beginning and the end, it's him. There's a reason we know the names of people like Yoji Shinkawa, Shuyo Murata or Motosada Mori and it's because Kojima himself always included them when discussing in creative process or in behind the scenes stuff.

Hell, people love to trot out the fact that he plastered his name everywhere on MGS V, which alright fair, while conveniently omitting the fact that the game features a credit sequence mentioning who exactly did what on each mission in the game.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
No, it's always been a bullshit claim because if there is one creator that makes sure the name of his collaborators are known and put front and center in the credits at the beginning and the end, it's him. There's a reason we know the names of people like Yoji Shinkawa, Shuyo Murata or Motosada Mori and it's because Kojima himself always included them when discussing in creative process or in behind the scenes stuff.

Hell, people love to trot out the fact that he plastered his name everywhere on MGS V, which alright fair, while conveniently omitting the fact that the game features a credit sequence mentioning who exactly did what on each mission in the game.
Sorry, but It's always been a fair critique. Not only for the way the industry plays into it, but because Kojima of the way plasters his name everywhere and presents the works which absolutely plays into this.

This doesn't detract from the fact the man and his team make amazing games, you don't need to rush to his defense.

personaplace

Oct 29, 2017
Huh. I'll watch it for sure. I didn't play the game even though I should have, because I wasn't especially surprised nor delighted. I'll play it now to get ready.

Never even heard about it, but I look forward to watching it.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017

Behind the scenes callouts are far from plastering your own name on every one of your projects. There is ego. No question.

And he does not need a defense for this stuff (I'm desperately trying to ignore your avatar…) It's a fair critique and opinion.

Blunt

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry, but It's always been a fair critique. Not only for the way the industry plays into it, but because Kojima of the way plasters his name everywhere and presents the works which absolutely plays into this.

This doesn't detract from the fact the man makes amazing games, you don't need to rush to his defense.

It's not so much a defense of him as a refutation of what I see as an unfair critique. Trying to paint Kojima as someone who leeches off the work of others or trying to take credit for everything is the farthest thing from the truth considering everything that actually goes on with his games from, again, the way credits are presented in the games themselves, the promotional materials also giving a large part to his closest collaborators such as Shinkawa or stuff like the BTS documentaries that were produced consistently emphasizing the collaborative nature of the process of creating games.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's not so much a defense of him as a refutation of what I see as an unfair critique. Trying to paint Kojima as someone who leeches off the work of others or trying to take credit for everything is the farthest thing from the truth considering everything that actually goes on with his games from, again, the way credits are presented in the games themselves, the promotional materials also giving a large part to his closest collaborators such as Shinkawa or stuff like the BTS documentaries that were produced consistently emphasizing the collaborative nature of the process of creating games.
Except it's not the furthest from the truth, as others have pointed out. There is a fair critique there, no matter how you and others try to deny it.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Seems like a weird pick for a platform but okay... I would have vastly preferred a simple "Making of Death Stranding" video in the Director's Cut version rather than this thing, which sounds pretty self-congratulory.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except it's not the furthest from the truth, as others have pointed out. There is a fair critique there, no matter how you and others try to deny it.
You keep saying this, but can you please give us some examples of Kojima doing this ? Because i'm pretty sure Kojima always gave credit to people he's been working with. TPP is a solid proof of that.

Blunt

Oct 26, 2017

I have actually supported my claims with arguments as to why Kojima actually emphasizes the work of others besides himself and I have yet to see a refutation of these beyond «he puts his name front and center on his games ».

But hey let's do a little test : without looking it up, can you tell me who the art director or character designer for the latest Zelda games are ?

Nov 19, 2019
The "Kojima doesn't share credit" thing has got to be one of the most persistent myths among "informed" gamers out there.

It just ain't true, and that's sorta self-evident if you do even a cursory investigation. The man loves to elevate peers, collaborators, and sources of inspiration.

Anyway Captain of Outer Space , do you mind adding a small description of the documentary to the OP? The only place i could find it was by clicking into the tweet, then clicking into the image in the tweet.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I have actually supported my claims with arguments as to why Kojima actually emphasizes the work of others besides himself and I have yet to see a refutation of these beyond «he puts his name front and center on his games ».
You keep saying this, but can you please give us some examples of Kojima doing this ? Because i'm pretty sure Kojima always gave credit to people he's been working with. TPP is a solid proof of that.
People are saying the industry frames auteurs in a way that puts too much of the credit onto them, and Kojima puts his name over everything in a way that plays into that.

Sure, saying "is he going to credit others?" like he never does is a bit of a reductive way to make the point, but he absolutely does present his work via his titles in a way that gives as much importance to him as the visionary creator as possible.

There /is/ a fair point being made here, and Kojima clearly has an ego. This comes out in other ways, too, like his bizzare defense of Quiet's design "ashamed of words and deads".

And I say this as someone who rates Kojima Pro as one of their favourite developers, with both Death Stranding and MGS being in my top 10 games of all time.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are saying the industry frames auteurs in a way that puts too much of the credit onto them, and Kojima puts his name over everything in a way that plays into that.

Sure, saying "is he going to credit others" like he never does is a bit of a reductive way to make the point, but he absolutely does present his work via his titles in a way that gives as much importance to him as the visionary creator as possible.
Yeah, so there is no real argument except "He put his name in his games". Gotcha.

Blunt

Oct 26, 2017
John Carpenter has been putting « John Carpenter's… » in the title of his films for 40 years and I can't ever remember anyone raising a stink over this. Again, my beef isn't with the argument that he has a big ego (like most creatives) but the fact that he's often being framed as taking all the credit for everything, which is blatantly untrue.